Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:24 AM

Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees (17064 Views)

Demolition Of Structures Ongoing At Opobo-Junction, Aba (Photos) / HAPPENING NOW: Demolition Of Properties In Umuahia, Abia State / Demolition Going On At Ojudu/Alagbole For The Ogun Road Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by searay(m): 8:40pm On Dec 24, 2013
adetsim:

You've manifested the highest degree of callousness as expressed in your statement. If you cannot pity them why can't you hold your wicked comment? Nobody is above problem, it could be your turn next time.
Go and Die!
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Esdb(m): 8:43pm On Dec 24, 2013
some people are so dumbbb.....people re out there under a mango tree and the best some crooked-arrssee dumb dudes can do abt it is make jest.....haaa Nigeria wat kinda people re in U!
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by andyanders: 8:49pm On Dec 24, 2013
searay: Jesus was born in manger, so what's so special about relaxing under the tree and enjoy on)self. RIP to the dead.

These people's condition will be better off,than what your own condition MUST become down the line of your existence on earth.
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by 3kay945(m): 10:22pm On Dec 24, 2013
mascott: They should convert the mango tree to their own Christmas tree shikena!

Is either you are teen or sick in head or both.
Heartless.
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Nobody: 10:31pm On Dec 24, 2013
While some are living luxuriously, some are looking for a place to lay their head. Saddening. embarassed
This should serve as a lesson for people to always verify the authenticity of lands they plan to purchase or reside in.
Merry Christmas to y'all
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by ugochukwu360(m): 10:37pm On Dec 24, 2013
Ppl pls cultivate d habit of making ur hometown ur base nd nt vice versa, i wonder wat a man of 80 or 70 who has retired 4 lyf wil stil be doing in anoda mans land, if to say na 4 deir hometown dem dey at least dem go knw land wey dey unda dispute nd d one wey dey free. May Jah see dem thru deir trials nd tribulations.

1 Like

Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Pokemon43(f): 10:38pm On Dec 24, 2013
Oh no!
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 24, 2013
searay:
Go and Die!

Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 24, 2013
[quote author=mascott]They should convert the mango tree to their own Christmas tree shikena! [/ God purnish u. Must u contribute to it when u know u are senseless.]
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by vanstanzy(m): 10:50pm On Dec 24, 2013
JayKayMaybachz: ċнαι !!! sad angry sad тнαтѕ αℓℓ кαη ѕαу

Guy stop circulating this HORRID PIX jor! U want me to loose my appetite i have been saving for Christmas choppings?
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by vanstanzy(m): 10:52pm On Dec 24, 2013
ade.akeem:
Sitting on a mattress, under a mango tree on the land that used to accommodate their house, Sunday Solomon, a teenager, watched over what the family could salvage. Clutching the remote control to their television set, he gazed at the rubbles of their demolished house with the hope that the hand of the clock could be turned back.

Sunday and his only sibling were obviously yet to come to terms with the reality that their house, which was demolished on December 16 for allegedly trespassing on police 975 plots (65 hectares) of land in Atinporome, Mowo Phase 11, Olohunda Local Council Development Area, LCDA, no longer exist.

The sibling while waiting for their parents who had gone out to look for money that will help them to either relocate to their home town or rent an apartment in a nearby community, ensured that their scattered property under the tree was safe.

“My name is Solomon Sunday and my parents aren’t at home. This is our demolished house.

“And please Sir you are not welcome here. Please leave and come back when my parent returns,” Sunday told Vanguard.

The Police, in its two-day demolition exercise removed over 1,000 structures erected on the 65 hectares of land, displacing over a thousand residents of the community.

As if they had premonition of what would befall them in future, many residents planted different trees in their compounds.

The trees, spared by the bulldozers, today provide shelter for many of the residents while others have turned their cars to temporary shelter.

The Sundays were not the only family using the trees in their old compound as their new shelter. Lying on his back, also on a mattress placed under a tree in his demolished home, 73-year-old George Egosoku, gazed at the mango tree probably brooding over what would have happened without it. After the demolition, George, a professional driver before age caught with him, now sit helplessly and closely with his son under the mango tree where they’ve being spending the night since last Monday.

He was short of words to describe what happened on that fateful day, which will forever remain in his memory, the day he lost his house, built at the twilight of his active driving career which spanned over 35 years.

Struggling to narrate his experience, George, who now engages in petty trading to sustain his family said: “I watched helplessly as the officers of the Nigeria Police, Area K command, pulled down my house and bulldozed my belongings.”

On Wednesday, after the police had completed the demolition, George said he borrowed a hammer, plough and other implements to remove some of the broken woods and irons from the rubbles with the hope to sell them to raise money for feeding and to rent a new apartment.

Victims of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees

“But the price they are willing to pay for these items is far too low compared to the cost price. For instance, I bought this quality iron door for over N10, 000 few years ago. But to my surprise, the Aboki’s (scavengers) decided to pay N1, 000 for it,” George said.

Speaking with gloomy eyes he lamented; “My problem now is how to raise substantial amount of money to relocate to my home town.

“This is my house. This is where I have been living for the past 15 years.

“My years of hard labour were demolished that Monday and since then, I have been sleeping under this mango tree despite the harsh harmattan. Also, mosquitoes don’t allow us have good sleep. I am not appealing to your emotion. But I believe you can see things yourself. At my age, I am dirty, no shelter but a mango tree.

“I am not blaming anyone for my plight but the government especially the Nigerian Police and the Lagos State Government whom we pay our land use charge to. The government cannot provide housing to the downtrodden rather they demolish what the citizens had built.”

The plight of this septuagenarian, Egosoku, and the teenager, Solomon are two out of the several pathetic stories of the displaced residents of Atinporome, Mowo Phase 11 community.

Elder David Hundenu, 80- year- old residents of the community, lamented; “At my age, where do I start? I cannot run around the way I was doing 40 years ago. This is where I have called home. This is where I hope to finally rest but with this, I am confused.”

Hundenu, who had lived in the community for 19 years said; “Since 1994, when I bought my land from the late Baale Hoodonu, there had never been any issue concerning the ownership of the land. The tussle over the land started in 2008 after the demise of Hoodonu. While he was alive, he told me that the entire land belonged to his family.”

Victims of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees

Another resident, Mr. Ahmed Alade who lost his home two years ago to the expansion of the Lagos- Badagry expressway phase one at Orile- Iganmu, struggled to compose himself.

And when the 73- year- old finally did, he said; “My house was demolished in Orile two years ago for the expansion of the Lagos- Badagry expressway to 10- lanes. I didn’t get any compensation for it. I ran here for shelter with my family. But the shelter has been demolished again. Where do they (government and police) want me to go?”

Chief Korede Mayegun, who lost a hotel, house and a parcel of land worth over N160 million to the demolition, said; “when I heard the news, I went into coma. In fact I have been shuttling between hospital and home since last Monday. But my happiness is that I am alive again. I was unable to remove anything from my hotel.

“I believe that my property will not go like that. Our case is still in court and the date for another hearing is January 15th, 2014. We are ready to challenge them in court.”
READ MORE: http://news.naij.com/54997.html

This is terrible. Wish i could help them. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Nobody: 10:57pm On Dec 24, 2013
[quote author=Big.game][color=#000099]While some are living luxuriously, some are looking for a place to lay their head. Saddening. embarassed
This should serve as a lesson for people to always verify the authenticity of lands they plan to purchase or reside in.
Merry Christmas to y'all[/ u are talking because u can sleep in a house put ur self in their shoe am sure u won't remember nairaland]
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by hussainahlami(f): 10:57pm On Dec 24, 2013
Yoruba_Jesus: Wait till tomorrow before you post this. Its not Christmas yet.
Are u mentally stable?
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by hussainahlami(f): 11:05pm On Dec 24, 2013
mascott: They should convert the mango tree to their own Christmas tree shikena!
How old are u pls? Are u up 2 12yrs??
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Ericacomfort: 11:31pm On Dec 24, 2013
strange things happening everyday in dis country. its like nigeria is going to come to an end first before the entire world come to an end. the things dat happens in nation, na wa ooo. heartless govt

1 Like

Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by eyitayo007(m): 11:35pm On Dec 24, 2013
just like 20 houses to our own .....na God hand we dey like this ,make una help me pray o......i witnessed the demolition with my korokoro eyes ni o....e no funny at all
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Nobody: 1:11am On Dec 25, 2013
When lawyer in property section screams,pleads,begs people to verify land before buying, they say him own too much. Here's a classic example of all that he's been saying. Government nor get mercy. U have to stay one step ahead in dealing with government especially with regards to land and property issues. Na wa.
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Nobody: 1:14am On Dec 25, 2013
ugochukwu360: Ppl pls cultivate d habit of making ur hometown ur base nd nt vice versa, i wonder wat a man of 80 or 70 who has retired 4 lyf wil stil be doing in anoda mans land, if to say na 4 deir hometown dem dey at least dem go knw land wey dey unda dispute nd d one wey dey free. May Jah see dem thru deir trials nd tribulations.

Everybody wants a share in "no mans land"
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Nobody: 1:47am On Dec 25, 2013
wilson dave: u are talking because u can sleep in a house put ur self in their shoe am sure u won't remember nairaland
What are you saying?
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Nobody: 2:22am On Dec 25, 2013
I can imagine the truama they are passing through.My family was once a victim of flooding,it kills so many people and destroys so many properties every raining season,although it's not easy leaving ones house and landed properties,but we just had to relocate.Back then,whenever there is a heavy rainfall,we will all be panicking in our area,carry all what we can out of the house to a nearby neighbourhood for safety.But i want to assure them that where there is life,there is hope..
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by EagleNest(m): 4:49am On Dec 25, 2013
Govt could not help its citizens with basic necessity of life like shelter and when they do themselves, govt bulldozer will come.
The process of acquiring land and/or building in Lagos is shrouded in secrecy and quite confusing. This provides a perfect condition for omonile's to thrive.Why not make the whole process:public, transparent and easy to access. This will eliminate the Omoniles and reduce to the barest minimum the pain of loss of property via govt demolition.Imagine after spending 15years living in a property of your own, all of a sudden it vanishes. Eledumare punish Devil!

1 Like

Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by searay(m): 5:58am On Dec 25, 2013
andyanders:

These people's condition will be better off,than what your own condition MUST become down the line of your existence on earth.
Ignorance of the Law should be an excuse. You and some of your lawless and indiscipline Nigerians just get got. Before you build in a particular place, meet the Agencies who are in charge of the Master plan/development of that location. Have them approve the site for you and don't build through the back door.
Let me ask you this; Why was their houses demolish?
Let me not curse you, id!ot!
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by salam8528: 6:26am On Dec 25, 2013
I beliv he has a church he normali attend can't he go dere and seek refuge most he stay under d tree
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by lastpage: 6:57am On Dec 25, 2013
ajast: I think both state and federal government should do something urgently to investigate the demolition, a place where about 1000 dwelling units is existing can not just be demolished like that what was the police looking after the first Ten buildings were constructed, were they sleeping? I am sure they were busy at the road check points then, if lagos state truly collected land use charge from them, if PHCN has 33kva transformers there, then they collect bills there, if telecoms operators have masts there, if local government collect levy there,if there was always a polling booth there during elections, then i think this matter must be a result of bad business between some police chiefs and the[b] omo oniles[/b] and they decided to show them power, i will like to see this matter taken up to the highest level.Its the worst i have seen in injustice.But i wish this people good luck in the coming year God will answer their prayers on this matter. embarassed

Thank you so much!

I keep saying it that this Nigeria (especially those in power) IS EVIL!
Our lives as Nigerians is so evil that even the devil will pity us.

And those in power are so stewpid you would conclude that they dont have a brain at all.
Lets assume these people actually built illegally on Land that belongs to the Nigeria Police (a public body funded by tax payer's money, for the service of the people).

Now, about 1,000 houses! Lets compute the cost and material time used to build those houses.

Question: Is destroying those houses, the BEST AND ONLY SOLUTION to this issue?
What a waste, in a land blighted by poverty of mind and soul!
Why not even sell the houses (to the same Police Eediots) and money raised through such exercise used it to resettle these people?

Why are Nigerian Leaders (Public and Private) to bereft of intelligence of the smallest ounce? angry angry

A government that cannot fulfil its "affordable housing responsibility" to the people, is the first to go about destroying what little the people have built for themselves?

This is very sad!
But like l always say, "a people that sell their rights to those in power for some small pittance, will pay a bigger price when they get oppressed by the same benefactors".

Nigerians, RISE-UP OR BE CRUSHED........ your existence is under threat.

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by anonimi: 7:00am On Dec 25, 2013
ajast: I think both state and federal government should do something urgently to investigate the demolition, a place where about 1000 dwelling units is existing can not just be demolished like that what was the police looking after the first Ten buildings were constructed, were they sleeping? I am sure they were busy at the road check points then, if lagos state truly collected land use charge from them, if PHCN has 33kva transformers there, then they collect bills there, if telecoms operators have masts there, if local government collect levy there,if there was always a polling booth there during elections, then i think this matter must be a result of bad business between some police chiefs and the[b] omo oniles[/b] and they decided to show them power, i will like to see this matter taken up to the highest level.Its the worst i have seen in injustice.But i wish this people good luck in the coming year God will answer their prayers on this matter. embarassed

Why did you leave out the LGA oout of the government TIERS that should "do something urgently to investigate the demolition"
FYI, the LGA councillors are guaranteed some 250k monthly as salary ONLY and the LGAS nationwide receive federal allocation of nearly 300 million monthly.
We need to ask ourselves what are they doing with all these funds, abi

1 Like

Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by mrgreenn: 7:02am On Dec 25, 2013
. The Security at the Gate of psychiatric Hospital must be Sleeping when this guy escapped.His comment is a clear indication that his mental illness level has defies treatment.So many of them are really coming to Nairaland to exhibit themselves.
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by Decryptor(m): 7:03am On Dec 25, 2013
Welcome to Lagos! Eko oni ba je oooo! grin
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by lastpage: 7:05am On Dec 25, 2013
searay: Ignorance of the Law should be an excuse. You and some of your lawless and indiscipline Nigerians just get got. Before you build in a particular place, meet the Agencies who are in charge of the Master plan/development of that location. Have them approve the site for you and don't build through the back door.
Let me ask you this; Why was their houses demolish?
Let me not curse you, id!ot!

I think you talk from lack of experience or just plain-evil mindedness.
Either way, you do yourself no-favours.

How do you explain a situation where:
*Lagos State Govt under one Governor, granted a C-of-O to a land owner, who built the place up and another Governor came to power and revoked such C-of-O claiming the land was Govt acquired?

*How do you explain a situation where the Govt Agency in charge of Lands gave someone a C-of-O in respect of a plot of land and allocated another C-of-O to another person, in respect of THE SAME PLOT of land?

These are just two examples of real life experiences of real people, who abide by the law and did all they could do, to be upright citizens.

"Those who have never been out of a cave, usually argue that there is no light, outside such cave"! --- Cave-man's theory.

Trust me, you need to see these things happen, to change your view of other people in this type of shyte.

Lastpage!

2 Likes

Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by arimahoseloka(m): 9:32am On Dec 25, 2013
what a stupid and mindless thing to say
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by ibiso1986: 10:27am On Dec 25, 2013
Mods, its xmas day, let's make nairaland interesting today. put this topic on the front page.. www.nairaland.com/1568062/photos-port-harcourt-carnival-carniriv
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by beau49: 10:29am On Dec 25, 2013
@Lastpage good wrk 4 givin dat guy a piece of ur mind......sum pple can be so heartless n unsympathetic!

M jes shrt of wrds,I really dnt knw where Nigeria is heading 2......jes imagine sumbody's life wrk n struggle reduced 2 nottin. I jes pray D AlMighty see dem tru!

BTw na now police eye open say na their property abi?where were dey wen d people started buildin their houses?......There is really sumtin fishy abt dis demolition. angry
Re: Victims Of Police Demolition Spend Christmas Under Trees by ajast(m): 3:09pm On Dec 25, 2013
anonimi:

Why did you leave out the LGA oout of the government TIERS that should "do something urgently to investigate the demolition"
FYI, the LGA councillors are guaranteed some 250k monthly as salary ONLY and the LGAS nationwide receive federal allocation of nearly 300 million monthly.
We need to ask ourselves what are they doing with all these funds, abi
Local government no get mouth for land matter in any state, they only collect revenue from any landed property and can help enforce planning laws they will never be concerned about the owner of any parcel of land they only want levy so count then out of this matter.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LASG Set To Deliver 360 Homes In Igbogbo, Ikorodu / Best & Unique House Design And Construction In Nig.if U Want The Best Read Dis / PICTURE: The Cost Of Setting Up A free range snail farming system in Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.