Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,672 members, 7,955,468 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:48 AM

The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". (7154 Views)

Krayola State Your Case For The Historical Jesus. / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" / The Myth Of Nazareth: Did the historical Jesus Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 12:43pm On Dec 30, 2013
OlaoChi:

Men? Did u not read Obatala is Olorun's eldest son? Gods Men give birth to men now?
Rofl grin grin grin. @ d bolded, Who is Olorun's wife? afterall, we knw Father and Son.
@not-bolded, grin Fixed!

OlaoChi:
And did you not read where Obatala and Oduduwa created the universe and human bodies before Olorun brings the body to life?
Actual, i read it but i wonder who created their own body. they also have human body, No?

OlaoChi:
Do Men create themselves and create others too?
No!

OlaoChi:
Are u in the Yoruba religion?
No!

But you are not saying anything about Olorun, Oluwa, Olodumare. that is how you can understand everything.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 5:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
harbiola1:
Rofl grin grin grin. @ d bolded, Who is Olorun's wife? afterall, we knw Father and Son.
@not-bolded, grin Fixed!

Actual, i read it but i wonder who created their own body. they also have human body, No?

No!

No!

But you are not saying anything about Olorun, Oluwa, Olodumare. that is how you can understand everything.

Am still learning the religion. That's why am begging pagan 9ja for details
Olorun is father of Obatala and all his junior siblings.
You yourself don't understand anything so don't drag your ignorance with pride
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 7:38pm On Dec 30, 2013
OlaoChi:

Am still learning the religion.
Oh i see!

OlaoChi:
That's why am begging pagan 9ja for details
You wan port or what, from where to where?

OlaoChi:
Olorun is father of Obatala and all his junior siblings.
They say, but not.

OlaoChi:
You yourself don't understand anything so don't drag your ignorance with pride
Your assumption though.

I know who/what everyone of them are except i don't want to talk.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 8:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
harbiola1:
Oh i see!

You wan port or what, from where to where?

They say, but not.

Your assumption though.

I know who/what everyone of them are except i don't want to talk.

undecided if you know you would talk.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 12:48am On Dec 31, 2013
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 6:31am On Dec 31, 2013
OlaoChi:

undecided if you know you would talk.
Ok! you wan make i taaaalk eh?
No wahala.

You c? Olorun, Olodumare, Oluwa are the beautiful names of the SOLE CREATOR in Yoruba language. These three among other names are referring to One God.

Sango, Oya, Orunmila Obatala et al are PERSONIFICATIONs of God/Olodumare's inanimate creations like Thunder, Wind, Rain, Sun etc.

Sango: In yoruba land, a picture of thunder/Ara was first seen in the person of Sango because of some of his characters. It's said that he had supernatural power to produce thunder and lightning. Sango was a historical royal ancestor of yoruba as he was the third king of the Oyo kingdom. He was idolized/deified after he died.
NB: Personified figure of thunder in places other than Yoruba land may be different entirely.

Orunmila: The embodiment of knowlege and wisdom of Ifa. Yoruba religion identifies him as the grand priest, and the bearer of Oracle (Ifa).
He was idolized/deified after he died.
NB: Personified figure of wisdom/knowledge in places other than Yoruba land may be different entirely.

My point here is that None of these men are God.
They all came to the world like a common man, died like a common man, will be resurected then be judged like everyone else.

God/Olodumare is a spirit with no Human body, infact He never needed it and will never need it. You can never read something like "He was borne, he liked eating rice, you can download his picture, he used to go to warfront with a white horse" about God. All these are the attributes of human being which automatically becomes an Idol if worshiped.

And the personified forces/creations are useless, valueless before their God to whom direct worship is due. They obey none except their Lord.

It is blasphemous to the nature of God to call something/somebody else God.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 7:17pm On Dec 31, 2013
Olaochi why the silence
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 8:31am On Jan 01, 2014
harbiola1:
Ok! you wan make i taaaalk eh?
No wahala.

You c? Olorun, Olodumare, Oluwa are the beautiful names of the SOLE CREATOR in Yoruba language. These three among other names are referring to One God.

Sango, Oya, Orunmila Obatala et al are PERSONIFICATIONs of God/Olodumare's inanimate creations like Thunder, Wind, Rain, Sun etc.

Sango: In yoruba land, a picture of thunder/Ara was first seen in the person of Sango because of some of his characters. It's said that he had supernatural power to produce thunder and lightning. Sango was a historical royal ancestor of yoruba as he was the third king of the Oyo kingdom. He was idolized/deified after he died.
NB: Personified figure of thunder in places other than Yoruba land may be different entirely.

Orunmila: The embodiment of knowlege and wisdom of Ifa. Yoruba religion identifies him as the grand priest, and the bearer of Oracle (Ifa).
He was idolized/deified after he died.
NB: Personified figure of wisdom/knowledge in places other than Yoruba land may be different entirely.

My point here is that None of these men are God.
They all came to the world like a common man, died like a common man, will be resurected then be judged like everyone else.

God/Olodumare is a spirit with no Human body, infact He never needed it and will never need it. You can never read something like "He was borne, he liked eating rice, you can download his picture, he used to go to warfront with a white horse" about God. All these are the attributes of human being which automatically becomes an Idol if worshiped.

And the personified forces/creations are useless, valueless before their God to whom direct worship is due. They obey none except their Lord.

It is blasphemous to the nature of God to call something/somebody else God.

What about Esu?
And if it's blasphemous the owners of the religion would know. You want to tell them how to serve their God?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 4:03pm On Jan 01, 2014
OlaoChi:

What about Esu?
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eshu

OlaoChi:
And if it's
blasphemous the owners of the religion would know. You want to tell them how to serve their God?
No offence intended. undecided But in ur mind, is the Creator the same as the Creature
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 2:07am On Jan 02, 2014
harbiola1:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eshu

No offence intended. undecided But in ur mind, is the Creator the same as the Creature

I wanted you to explain how esu is a man, since you know so much about the religion that the owners of the religion don't even know
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 9:29am On Jan 02, 2014
OlaoChi:

I wanted you to explain how esu is a man, since you know so much about the religion that the owners of the religion don't even know
Ma'am? u're beginning to get me wrong. Ve'i said i know more than pagans?

I'm only saying what i knw and it's another case if i'm lying.

Esu was a man like others. Yoruba spirituality attributed several roles to him. He is taken as the Personification of life and death.

Eshu was a man.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 9:35am On Jan 02, 2014
^^
In yoruba mythology, Gods are those of divine nature. So I don't see where you going by saying Olodumare is the sole God, when there are a plethora of Gods!
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 10:38am On Jan 02, 2014
Kay 17: ^^
In yoruba mythology, Gods are those of divine nature. So I don't see where you going by saying Olodumare is the sole God, when there are a plethora of Gods!
Are you placing Olodumare in the same category with Sango, Orunmila, Obatala & co ?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 10:52am On Jan 02, 2014
^^
Yes they are all Gods!
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 11:43am On Jan 02, 2014
Yes they are all Gods!
Are you a Yoruba?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 1:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
That's irrelevant.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 4:11pm On Jan 02, 2014
Kay 17: That's irrelevant.
It is, 'cos i believe u don't knw what u're saying.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 4:49pm On Jan 02, 2014
You never made an appealing argument.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 5:33pm On Jan 02, 2014
^^ You can tell me what made them to be equal with Olodumare, when they were created by Olodumare.

THEY WERE CREATED OF THEY CREATE THEMSELVES?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 5:42pm On Jan 02, 2014
harbiola1: ^^ You can tell me what made them to be equal with Olodumare, when they were created by Olodumare.

THEY WERE CREATED OF THEY CREATE THEMSELVES?

No, they are Gods, yet lower in hierarchy to Olodumare. No one is saying they are equal to Olorun. Also, they are sons of Olorun and that seems difficult for you to swallow, yet in Yoruba mythology Gods can procreate, same with Roman and Greek mythologies.

1 Like

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 7:44pm On Jan 02, 2014
Kay 17:

No, they are Gods
No, they are Idols or better still gods that is if you really mean ur below statement.

Kay 17:
yet lower in hierarchy to Olodumare.
How do Pagans practicalize this?

Kay 17:
No one is saying they are equal to Olorun.
But they are Gods?

Kay 17:
Also, they are sons of Olorun and that seems difficult for you to swallow,
how are they sons, literal, metarphorical, biological? What about other people of their time that weren't deified?

Kay 17:
yet in Yoruba mythology Gods can procreate, same with Roman and Greek mythologies.
God procreate God?

You'll agree with me that Sango is a personification of inanimate creation (thunder).
And i hope u won't tell me that Thunder never existed until Sango came?

Then who is the God of thunder?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 8:51pm On Jan 02, 2014
. . .
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 9:02pm On Jan 02, 2014
^^
Being a God is a divine status, hence Sango, Obatala and Esu are divine beings, not mortals albeit lower than Olorun in hierarchy. Idols are merely earthly representations of the Gods.

The problem with you is that you are trying to infuse your Islamic God into the yoruba mythology, Yorubas don't have a problem with Gods having sex and procreating, not one problem.

Where is your evidence that those Gods are personified/animated objects??

3 Likes

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 10:09pm On Jan 02, 2014
Being a God is a divine status, hence Sango, Obatala and Esu are divine beings, not mortals albeit lower than Olorun in hierarchy.
Pagans are the one that attributed divinity to them. And u're wrong if you want to face reality.

Kay 17:
Idols are merely earthly representations of the Gods.
I know, but my question is; "Before Sango, Esu, Obatala et al, how do Yorubas worship Gods?

Kay 17:
The problem with you is that you are trying to infuse your Islamic God into the yoruba mythology,
Islamic/Arab God and Yoruba God, is there any difference? I'm talking about God!

Kay 17:
Yorubas don't have a problem with Gods having sex and procreating, not one problem.
That could be due to many circumstances.

Kay 17:
Where is your evidence that those Gods are personified/animated objects??
Why do you call Sango/Thor as "god of thunder"?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 10:11pm On Jan 02, 2014
harbiola1:
Ma'am? u're beginning to get me wrong. Ve'i said i know more than pagans?

I'm only saying what i knw and it's another case if i'm lying.

Esu was a man like others. Yoruba spirituality attributed several roles to him. He is taken as the Personification of life and death.

Eshu was a man.

You are only trying to input your Islamic ideas into Yoruba religion. You are not Yoruba neither do you understand it.
I won't say you lying but that you are mistaken and confused

So why do your Islam people call Esu Shaytan? Since you say he is a man, so Shaytan is also a man lol
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 11:04pm On Jan 02, 2014
harbiola1:
Pagans are the one that attributed divinity to them. And u're wrong if you want to face reality.

I know, but my question is; "Before Sango, Esu, Obatala et al, how do Yorubas worship Gods?

Islamic/Arab God and Yoruba God, is there any difference? I'm talking about God!

That could be due to many circumstances.

Why do you call Sango/Thor as "god of thunder"?

And what is the reality? That there is one God?! Are we still talking about Yoruba religious system? The fact is: it does not matter what pagans attribute, rather what the yoruba mythology is about.

Mythologies develop and are in sync with culture and are in natural evolution. Most of the Gods lack an origin story, for example Obatala. Some Gods appear suddenly.

Language is hopeless without context. Because the word God is used to describe a deity, does not automatically mean that it is a natural reference with another deity in a different culture! Take the Olorun as he is in Yoruba mythology, don't add to it. By trying to fit a monotheist God into a polytheist surrounding, you are causing your confusion and need to kill off the other ancillary Gods.

In the past, men influenced by their inductive experience of man's creative prowess, believed that all order have a purpose and that the Gods with the reflective powers of man, created such. And Yorubas are not the only ones. Thousands of cultures believe in Gods of fertility, rain, harvest, war, etc. Even Islamic and Christian Gods are a reflection of man's creativity.

2 Likes

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 11:32pm On Jan 02, 2014
OlaoChi:

You are only trying to input your Islamic ideas into Yoruba religion.
Where have i cited anything Islamic here for crying out loud? So i must say anything again because i'm a muslim?

OlaoChi:
You are not Yoruba neither do you understand it.

I've been talking as a Yoruba so far.

OlaoChi:
I won't say you lying but that you are mistaken and confused
Confuse? a confused person should be corrected.

OlaoChi:
So why do your Islam people call Esu Shaytan? Since you say he is a man, so Shaytan is also a man lol
Lol, I knew it!

Frankly speaking, Esu is not Shaytan.

Shaytan (singular) or Shayatin (plural) is a name given to the follower[s] or subject[s] of a certain creature (Jinn) that disobeyed God by not bowing to Adam.

They can lead men astray. but they are powerless in the case of God's people that took heed.

Shayatin are not human being, but they can occupy men's heart by controlling it. thus, we start calling the person shaytan.

Esu was a man like i said, and Yorubas attributed some roles of Satan/Shayatin to him.
Translation of Shaytan/Satan to Eshu is an error from Yoruba-English language translator. I believe that Eshu is the closest word they could use for satan since he was already known as "he that cast confusion."

And the mistake is not from the East but West, get it?

OlaoChi:
Shaytan means anything
^^
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 4:12pm On Jan 03, 2014
Why are you not addressing my questions directly?

Kay 17:

And what is the reality? That there is one God?!
Nothing comes from nothing except God (Olodumare). All these natures/forces came from something (Creator).

After their creation, their role is to be in existence and comply with the law as legislated by the Creator. They can't accomplish any task without the knowledge of the Creator ~ their Lord. Hence, the assertions of " god of Thunder, Wind, Rain, Moon, Sun..." as it is being used by pagans is ill-founded, when everything is being governed by the law.

Kay 17:

Are we still talking about Yoruba religious system?
We are talking about realistic religious system.

Kay 17:
The fact is: it does not matter what pagans attribute, rather what the yoruba mythology is about.
This could be due to many circumstances.

Kay 17:
Mythologies develop and are in sync with culture and are in natural evolution.
Then u've got to agree with me that the likes of Sango, Obatala et al are metaphorical gods since they were nowhere to be found in the beginning. They didn't exist in a vacuum, u made them.

Kay 17:

Most of the Gods lack an origin story, for example Obatala. Some Gods appear suddenly.
You mean they don't have an origin story or it's forgotten? pls try and explain.

Kay 17:
Language is hopeless without context. Because the word God is used to describe a deity, does not automatically mean that it is a natural reference with another deity in a different culture! Take the Olorun as he is in Yoruba mythology, don't add to it. By trying to fit a monotheist God into a polytheist surrounding, you are causing your confusion and need to kill off the other ancillary Gods.
This's not to impose my belief on anybody. It's just that, in my own definition of "God", these people couldn't make the list. And if you tell me that they're and i can't prove it that they're not, then there should be a need to review my definition.

When i was writing from monotheistic and realistic point of view and somebody opposed my notion. You should be able to guess the next thing.

Kay 17:
In the past, men influenced by their inductive experience of man's creative prowess, believed that all order have a purpose and that the Gods with the reflective powers of man, created such. And Yorubas are not the only ones. Thousands of cultures believe in Gods of fertility, rain, harvest, war, etc.
This concept is weak and can't be logically proven.

Kay 17:
Even Islamic and Christian Gods are a reflection of man's creativity.
You u've got to tell me more on this.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 4:15pm On Jan 03, 2014
Kay 17:

And what is the reality? That there is one God?! Are we still talking about Yoruba religious system? The fact is: it does not matter what pagans attribute, rather what the yoruba mythology is about.

Mythologies develop and are in sync with culture and are in natural evolution. Most of the Gods lack an origin story, for example Obatala. Some Gods appear suddenly.

In the past, men influenced by their inductive experience of man's creative prowess, believed that all order have a purpose and that the Gods with the reflective powers of man, created such. And Yorubas are not the only ones. Thousands of cultures believe in Gods of fertility, rain, harvest, war, etc. Even Islamic and Christian Gods are a reflection of man's creativity.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 9:50pm On Jan 04, 2014
Olaoch can i ask u a question?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 12:09am On Jan 05, 2014
[quote author=harbiola1][/quote]

It was so obvious you had your agenda and abandoned the main gist of this thread. The thread is about Yoruba mythology and regardless of the inconsistencies it has, it is still a myth. And myths are about what people believed. The question is what did the Yorubas believe? Not who is the real God!

All these natures/forces came from something (Creator).
who told you this? Did you experience it directly or indirectly?!
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 10:14am On Jan 05, 2014
Kay 17:

It was so obvious you had your agenda and abandoned the main gist of this thread. The thread is about Yoruba mythology and regardless of the inconsistencies it has, it is still a myth. And myths are about what people believed.
Check my posts so far, I'm talking about God of the universe.

Kay 17:
The question is what did the Yorubas believe? Not who is the real God!
Q 2:170.
When it is said to them: "Follow what God hath revealed." They say: "Nay! we shall follow the way of our fathers.
What! even though their fathers were void of Wisdom and Guidance?

Kay 17:
who told you this? Did you experience it directly or indirectly?!

The onus is on you to prove me wrong.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Speaking In Tongues In Present Day Churches / Redeemed Church Acquires N4bn Aircraft / Fight Your Battles On Your Knees

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.