Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream (1257 Views)

Photos Of My Office And Why I May Resign To Pursue My Music Career / I Have Given Up On Going To School After 5 Yrs Of Trying / Back To Nigeria After Medical School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream by BABSIN(m): 6:01pm On Dec 25, 2013
When I saw this article, I was like.....No Way...He must be kidding me. But reading through I knew that this young man took a truly courageous decision, which many would never dare.

And to think that the movie " 3 Idiots " gave him some courage to act. Quite Inspiring
And for parents who love to impose certain professions on their children.This is a must read for you.

Ismaila Mansur Akolade is currently a 100 level student of Mass Communication at the University of Lagos. He had spent 10 years at the University of Ilorin, studying Medicine before quitting barely two weeks to the commencement of his final qualification examination.

His days at the University of Ilorin was saddled with constant failure, which ended up putting him at the bottom of the class. He decided to quit at the last minute. Today, Ismaila is neither sitting at the bottom nor struggling in his new course of study, as he currently sits in the 1st class category with a Grade Point Average of 4.71. Read his story below.........

In an exclusive interview with The Nation, Ismaila revealed that his action was triggered by his passion for the journalism profession, which he said was parallel to the wish of his father. He noted that his dream was never to become a doctor, but was forced into an unholy matrimony with the profession by his father who sees the medical profession as prestigious and thus wants ‘the best’ for his son. He counsels parents and young ones.

In his words, “ Parents should allow their children to express themselves. That parents are privileged to give birth to children does not give them absolute control over their destinies. Parents can only guide their children. Children should be allowed to have more input on how they would live their lives.

Parents should not play God with the future of their children. Your child doesn’t know how to write or speak English very well but he is very exceptional in Mathematics and you insist he should go and study law!

He has a special ability in writing poems and mind-bogging articles but poor in calculations, yet you said he must be an engineer! Parents should stop acting against the natural talents and propensities of their children.”
He also challenges young ones to hold their destinies in their hands to avoid being swayed unnecessarily. “ If you don’t make a decision for yourself, someone will make it for you. Don’t abandon your future in the hands of anybody.

Do your own research and know the movers and shakers in your profession of interest, so as to inspire you the more. Young ones should not leave everything in the hands of their parents. It is noteworthy that he who pays the piper dictates the tune, especially when the piper has not decided the exact tune to play.”

" Principally, my action was due to the fact that I never wanted to be a doctor. I was initially in medical school because I had to follow my father’s bidding. He wanted me to become a doctor but when I discovered after 10 years that it was not going to work and that my professional life was going to be nastier and more horrible, I took the decision to leave and follow my dreams.

I refused to be held down by the medical certificate because I reasoned that if I should write the final examination, it might make me drift away from my dream of studying Mass Communication.” He said.

He recalled his days at the University of Ilorin Medical School, as ‘horrible’ and ‘nasty,’ noting that he was a very terrible student and had a very negative reputation.

“ Perhaps, I was the most unserious medical student UNILORIN has ever come across. I spent 10 years in the medical school, four of which was due to failure. I repeated class in 200, 300, 500, and 600 levels respectively.

After the whole saga, especially when I came to study Mass Communication, I discovered that my failure was not due to an inability or mental incapacity to handle medicine; it was because I was just never interested in it.”
He revealed that the reason for his passion for the journalism profession was his talent and propensity which he believes would thrive and gain relevance only if allowed to be expressed as a journalist.

He said his father was embittered by his decision to quit medicine after all his investment into the profession. He however said he was encouraged to embark on his mission after seeing the movie titled, ‘Three Idiots,’ which triggered the instinct of resoluteness in him and taught him that life is predominantly about risk taking.

According to him, “ I will not want to feel the way my father felt when I left. If I put myself into his shoes, I won’t want a son to do to me what I did to my father. However, I got the inspiration from the movie to dare and to take a seemingly difficult action, more especially because life is risk taking and not about the present alone.

The lessons from that movie contributed 40 per cent to my final decision. I believe strongly that if I graduate from UNILAG, become a world class journalist and achieve greatness in the profession; my father will be one of those who will celebrate with me.”
He admits that it was not easy for him to start afresh and adapt since he had spent most of his years studying science-based subjects in secondary school. Sitting down to deal with arts-based subjects, he said, was difficult but the determination to succeed made him to withstand the avoidable failure that stared him in the face.

“I was driven by passion. I went to settle with all relevant books. I did extensive reading and I also had a friend who taught me mathematics. When the result came out, it was excellent. I actually had distinction in all my papers.” He said.

He recognised the contributions of his lecturers in Mass Communication department, to his quick adaptation to life on campus, saying that their words of encouragements, have helped him to quickly overcome his medical school trauma, and helped him to re-orientate towards excellence.

Ismaila said the 10-year experience has redefined him and has taught him a lot of lessons, which he wishes to use to educate the younger ones to forestall falling victim of such unpalatable experience.

He appealed to parents to always consider the interest and ability of their children rather than imposing professions on them.

2 Likes

Re: Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 25, 2013
such is life for you. sometime things we fight for ain't the things we get!
front page, moderator!

1 Like

Re: Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream by realugee: 7:08pm On Dec 25, 2013
Hmmm... Touching story cry Didn't read the whole thing though.
Re: Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream by realugee: 7:10pm On Dec 25, 2013
Click like if you read the whole story... I wish to see -21333 likes! grin

1 Like

Re: Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream by Queendo(f): 7:23pm On Dec 25, 2013
Taking d bull by d horn. Hmmmm 10yrs medi sch =4yrs mass comm sch , 1yr nysc 2yrs MA, 3yrs Phd. Haba why dem waste dis man time. Wel God has a purpose for everytin in life. I wish him d very best in life.
Re: Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream by 4tunebest(f): 9:20pm On Dec 25, 2013
BABSIN:
...And to think that the movie " 3 Idiots " gave him some courage to act. Quite Inspiring
And for parents who love to impose certain professions on their children.

He noted that his dream was never to become a doctor, but was forced into an unholy matrimony with the profession by his father who sees the medical profession as prestigious and thus wants ‘the best’ for his son.

" Principally, my action was due to the fact that I never wanted to be a doctor. I was initially in medical school because I had to follow my father’s bidding. He wanted me to become a doctor but when I discovered after 10 years that it was not going to work and that my professional life was going to be nastier and more horrible, I took the decision to leave and follow my dreams.

After the whole saga, especially when I came to study Mass Communication, I discovered that my failure was not due to an inability or mental incapacity to handle medicine; it was because I was just never interested in it.”

The lessons from that movie contributed 40 per cent to my final decision. I believe strongly that if I graduate from UNILAG, become a world class journalist and achieve greatness in the profession; my father will be one of those who will celebrate with me.”

He appealed to parents to always consider the interest and ability of their children rather than imposing professions on them.

It is quite sad that a whole decade had to pass before you realised that In writing the history of your life, no one should hold the pen except you.

I guess the 'three idiots' are wiser than your dad, Mr Ismail.

1 Like

Re: Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream by Umarun: 11:50am On Dec 26, 2013
in Nigeria guidance and counseling culture is either Zero or ineffective. I hope parents wl learn from this , you wl certainly get every single penny from what god has destined for u regardless of your profession.And u can positively impact the society from whatever job u ar engaged.A word is enough for a wise.

1 Like

Re: Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream by BABSIN(m): 12:15pm On Dec 26, 2013
Re: Undergraduate Quits Medical School After 10 Years To Pursue His Dream by Nobody: 4:14pm On Dec 26, 2013
Same with mine!!. grin Thank God i took a bold step. Never loved Medicine but my parent were forcing me which i didn't heed to their advice. I love Geology like Mofedaku wink

(1) (Reply)

Team Work Ability, What Does It Mean? / Harvester's Skills Acquisition Program (free) / Why I Resigned From My Job After A Month

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.