Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,471 members, 7,823,097 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 12:20 AM

The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. - Literature (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. (41570 Views)

The Man And The Cross / Cross River And Ssce Fraud: My Nysc Experience / The Head And The Tail’s Tale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Ishilove: 9:07am On Jan 07, 2014
Great job, Roy! You never disappoint. NEVER. I loved your last update. grin When men sleep, a lot of strange things happen in the spirit. It's only the grace of God that keeps us in this very strange world.

Your penultimate update, I'm sorry to say, did not do it for me. Now this is strictly my opinion, dearie, so don't take it the wrong way. Jenny's narration seems some how...off... undecided Now I know this story is a supernatural thriller, but then... Jenny's explanation of the origins, deccimation and resurrection of the man-animals just seems incomplete...too convoluted to be exactly believable. There are also some historical inaccuracies, especially in the part where history books were burned and new history written. Africa has always had a unique system of keeping historical records in pre-literate society, even way before the Arabisation of certain areas of the continent, so the 'burning books part is totally off'. Eurocentric historeographers of the 19th and early 20th century argued that Africa has no history because pre-literate Africa had no writing, but they have been disproved overtime by African historians. In other words, we did not write books before the whitemen came, but we had other methods of historical record keeping, like oral tradition. Hence we cannot burn books that never existed. It is for this reason that when I saw 'history books burned', I was sent off kilter.

I am also a bit confused about the man-animal been able to rip mermaids/mermen to pieces (before they were deccimated by the whitemen). The animals you described are land animals vis elephants, baboons, leopards etc, so is it that they could kill the mer-people when they were in their human form, or that they could go into water and kill them in their natural habitat? undecided

Where was this castle that the baboon man was invited to? In the water or on land? Was the baboon man able to retain his power in the water kingdom, where mermaids are the most powerful? undecided

I am left with too many confusing, rather than intriguing, questions, Roy. undecided

All in all, keep doing a good job, Roy, but try not to rush anything. smiley

3 Likes

Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by 360prince(m): 9:19am On Jan 07, 2014
janetDurling: Its aite dear........enough of d derailing.......#runsawt
no more derailing this page but promise to remember me someday...

Am here to stay and not to leave..smiley. Reading things, pls tell this oga mak him continue nowsad
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by 360prince(m): 9:22am On Jan 07, 2014
K.
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by janetDurling(f): 10:17am On Jan 07, 2014
Viewing this topic: benedictilemona(m), Royver(m), fundamentals(m), gennysq(f)........anytime frm now we shud expect anoda update||waiting. . .calmly
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Therock5555(m): 12:47pm On Jan 07, 2014
@Janet and Prince-i dey watch una wif my pinocio glasses.

@Ishilove-nice statment, i wanted saying some of that but time did me no good.

@Royver-abeg fire us one naw

1 Like

Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Damlesky(m): 2:28pm On Jan 07, 2014
[img][/img]wooow you are killing me Roy with this ur one in a gazillion update. You're the best-est lipsrsealed
ps- let no man quote ishilove when replying or else.........

i fit shoot somebody

Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by 360prince(m): 3:14pm On Jan 07, 2014
The rock5555: @Janet and Prince-i dey watch una wif my pinocio glasses.
my daddy i de toast her but she no gree...

Royver where you at. sad?
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Ishilove: 3:27pm On Jan 07, 2014
Damlesky: [img][/img]wooow you are killing me Roy with this ur one in a gazillion update. You're the best-est lipsrsealed

i fit shoot somebody
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Megaflex(m): 3:34pm On Jan 07, 2014
I totally agree wit Ishilove. Patiently Waiting 4 Roy's next update

1 Like

Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by MrNiceGuy5: 3:40pm On Jan 07, 2014
Ishilove: Great job, Roy! You never disappoint. NEVER. I loved your last update. grin When men sleep, a lot of strange things happen in the spirit. It's only the grace of God that keeps us in this very strange world.

Your penultimate update, I'm sorry to say, did not do it for me. Now this is strictly my opinion, dearie, so don't take it the wrong way. Jenny's narration seems some how...off... undecided Now I know this story is a supernatural thriller, but then... Jenny's explanation of the origins, deccimation and resurrection of the man-animals just seems incomplete...too convoluted to be exactly believable. There are also some historical inaccuracies, especially in the part where history books were burned and new history written. Africa has always had a unique system of keeping historical records in pre-literate society, even way before the Arabisation of certain areas of the continent, so the 'burning books part is totally off'. Eurocentric historeographers of the 19th and early 20th century argued that Africa has no history because pre-literate Africa had no writing, but they have been disproved overtime by African historians. In other words, we did not write books before the whitemen came, but we had other methods of historical record keeping, like oral tradition. Hence we cannot burn books that never existed. It is for this reason that when I saw 'history books burned', I was sent off kilter.

I am also a bit confused about the man-animal been able to rip mermaids/mermen to pieces (before they were deccimated by the whitemen). The animals you described are land animals vis elephants, baboons, leopards etc, so is it that they could kill the mer-people when they were in their human form, or that they could go into water and kill them in their natural habitat? undecided

Where was this castle that the baboon man was invited to? In the water or on land? Was the baboon man able to retain his power in the water kingdom, where mermaids are the most powerful? undecided

I am left with too many confusing, rather than intriguing, questions, Roy. undecided

Ishilove. I love you and your criticism. I have been following the thread since the days of i see things other do not see. I like the way you criticize because it gives the writer an insight of what needs to be done.

Thanks once again . Rovyer . How i wish i have a younger sister to give you to wife but all in all you are great.

1 Like

Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by MightyFortress: 3:47pm On Jan 07, 2014
;DHappy New Year, Roy! U seem to be quite knowledgeable about some "unusual things". All the same, its a fine story..

Before I forget, please advice me on which cult to join.. I need some "Chukwudi The Stronger Powers!!" Urgently, Please. ;DHappy New Year, Roy! U seem to be quite knowledgeable about some "unusual things". All the same, its a fine story..

Before I forget, please advice me on which cult to join.. I need some "Chukwudi The Stronger Powers!!" Urgently, Please. lipsrsealed grin tongue ee get some babes wey I need to impress for my area, Sharpaly.
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Cestmoi1(f): 3:49pm On Jan 07, 2014
Ishilove: Great job, Roy! You never disappoint. NEVER. I loved your last update. grin When men sleep, a lot of strange things happen in the spirit. It's only the grace of God that keeps us in this very strange world.

You just reminded me that I'm an history student.You are on point with the burning of books eish that you cited.Africans had what we call oral tradition or oral history (passing down information through the use of words (mouth)from one generation to another).I didn't even notice it in the penultimate update.(Don't mind my ITK/amebo)
Royver.....still I follow....

2 Likes

Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Royver(m): 5:13pm On Jan 07, 2014
Damlesky: [img][/img]wooow you are killing me Roy with this ur one in a gazillion update. You're the best-est lipsrsealed

i fit shoot somebody

See what you gone and done. Now everybody is quoting ishilove angry wink
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Royver(m): 5:38pm On Jan 07, 2014

As usual, you are thorough in your criticisms. Actually for a moment I thot u had abandoned me as I didn't see ur inputs grin

Am going to tell you a story now, non fiction.
When I was doing my youth service in kwara state, 2004 to be exact, I came upon an article in the vanguard newspaper. A British trained African professor whose name escapes me now wrote an article I'm which he sited something to do with calabar history. I'm not a history student so pls forgive me not knowing the right terms but he described something like 'the calabar scrolls or tablets, or some historical calabar carving sha. It had some inscriptions on it and this professor xlaed he had deciphered the meaning. He said according to this, calabar was the citadel of old civilization before it was moved to Egypt. If you browse it you will see that the calabar kingdom spans thousands and thousands of years. He also stated that there was a great war in which ships were used to cross a sea that if plotted on a modern map is the same location as the sahara desert. That means the sahara was once a sea in the middle of Africa. He also says that there was a great uprising of the slaves then and they won the war. As punishment, they burned all the books that the wise men had and banished them to death if they were caught writing again. Apparently that's how Africa started passing word from mouth to mouth. It is interesting that Egypt is called the citadel of learning but calabar kingdom used documents before then.
I enjoyed that 'story' so much but by the next day a British professor answered him and debunked all his claims. The African's article spanned three pages. The britishman's was only a few lines. Yet everybody believed the Caucasian immediately and the black man's theory was never pursued.
Anyway, that memory kind of inspired the history of the man-animals I wrote. Remember this is pure fiction and meant for entertainment. Nothing here is to be taken seriously except maybe life lessons you might learn if you read between the lines.

As for the baboon man and the mer-people, you got me there. I was actually very tired but I had promised to update and once again my laptop went into a series of convulsions so I had to use my phone. Those who stayed up And saw the raw footage would attest to the fact that there are a lot of corrections that have been made in the finished product you read. Thanks for pointing it out and I hope to be more explanatory in future.
Ehen. Another legend is that mermaids have the ability to make anybody breathe underwater. So the baboon guy was given this ability and went to visit them in their palace under the sea. Na fatigue cause am Jo, a beg no vex.

Am still looking forward to more criticisms from you oh so that by the time I finish I'll be the best I can be. Thanks much! kiss
[size=5pt](For those of you crushing on ishilove, no assassinate me oh! Na friendly peck/holy kiss o!)[/size]

5 Likes

Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Royver(m): 6:03pm On Jan 07, 2014
Pls like I stated before, this is PURELY A WORK OF FICTION. I do not condone looking for mammi-wata or joining cults o! Like Pilate I wash my hands clean of that matter. You are so on ya own! tongue tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by eyezik3(m): 6:16pm On Jan 07, 2014
Am glad to see my Oga's on dz thread, the like of The Rock, Ishilove and 360prince welcom 2 d thread Janetdurling why U dey do my boss 360prince one kind naa...
#TeamChuks
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Emanuel1997: 6:25pm On Jan 07, 2014
Hello Mr Roy This Is A Very Interesting Story I Would Rate This No 1 If I Could
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Ishilove: 6:42pm On Jan 07, 2014
Royver:

As usual, you are thorough in your criticisms. Actually for a moment I thot u had abandoned me as I didn't see ur inputs grin

[b]Am going to tell you a story now, non fiction.
When I was doing my youth service in kwara state, 2004 to be exact, I came upon an article in the vanguard newspaper. A British trained African professor whose name escapes me now wrote an article I'm which he sited something to do with calabar history. I'm not a history student so pls forgive me not knowing the right terms but he described something like 'the calabar scrolls or tablets, or some historical calabar carving sha. It had some inscriptions on it and this professor xlaed he had deciphered the meaning. He said according to this, calabar was the citadel of old civilization before it was moved to Egypt. If you browse it you will see that the calabar kingdom spans thousands and thousands of years. He also stated that there was a great war in which ships were used to cross a sea that if plotted on a modern map is the same location as the sahara desert. That means the sahara was once a sea in the middle of Africa. He also says that there was a great uprising of the slaves then and they won the war. As punishment, they burned all the books that the wise men had and banished them to death if they were caught writing again. Apparently that's how Africa started passing word from mouth to mouth. It is interesting that Egypt is called the citadel of learning but calabar kingdom used documents before then.
I enjoyed that 'story' so much but by the next day a British professor answered him and debunked all his claims. The African's article spanned three pages. The britishman's was only a few lines. Yet everybody believed the Caucasian immediately and the black man's theory was never pursued.[/b]
Anyway, that memory kind of inspired the history of the man-animals I wrote. Remember this is pure fiction and meant for entertainment. Nothing here is to be taken seriously except maybe life lessons you might learn if you read between the lines.

As for the baboon man and the mer-people, you got me there. I was actually very tired but I had promised to update and once again my laptop went into a series of convulsions so I had to use my phone. Those who stayed up And saw the raw footage would attest to the fact that there are a lot of corrections that have been made in the finished product you read. Thanks for pointing it out and I hope to be more explanatory in future.
Ehen. Another legend is that mermaids have the ability to make anybody breathe underwater. So the baboon guy was given this ability and went to visit them in their palace under the sea. Na fatigue cause am Jo, a beg no vex.

Am still looking forward to more criticisms from you oh so that by the time I finish I'll be the best I can be. Thanks much! kiss
[size=5pt](For those of you crushing on ishilove, no assassinate me oh! Na friendly peck/holy kiss o!)[/size]
Lol. How can I run away from your threads, sir? I'm your number one fan and you inspire me. You are one of the best writers I've ever being fortunate to read from. smiley

@bolded, I find the bolded very intriguing. Please can you do me a favour by seeing if you can get the professor's name? I would be most grateful.

Yes, the baboon man. It was obvious that you did not bring your A-game. Exhaustion does that. Please when you are tired don't try to write because what will come out will not be top quality. We are willing to wait for you so that you will always bring out that premium stuff that has got us all hooked to your stories like junkies high on crystal meth grin

Holy kiss, sir? Don't I know it! wink
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by 360prince(m): 7:05pm On Jan 07, 2014
Good evening to the families of Royver...

Men you have gotten a wonderful and interesting storyline and i comment for your works..

But oga updates the hungry me this night, so pls"feed me more" *in vampire voice*
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by Obinnau(m): 8:34pm On Jan 07, 2014
You know, we have a literature chat thread. Pls let Roy write his story.
https://www.nairaland.com/1003848/literature-writing-sections-chat-central
Re: The Claw, The Tail, And The Cross. by plainmirror(m): 9:28pm On Jan 07, 2014
Ishilove abeg try and be moderate in U̶̲̥̅̊я critics....... Its somehow boring the envisaged fun and freeflow. This is entertainment for heaven sake. Or perhaps heed to obinnau's advice

Royver ride on

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Where Is The Guy I Married?....... A Short Christian Romance Story / Line In Between: An Interracial Christian Romance. / Short Story Competition

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.