Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns (1515 Views)

Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns. / Prophet Drowns At Baptism Pool / Man 'Walks' On Water With His Bare Feet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by MAYOWAAK: 9:16pm On Dec 26, 2013
“An evangelist who tried replicating Jesus’ miracle of walking on water has reportedly drowned off the western coast of Africa.

Pastor Franck Kabele, 35, told his congregation he could repeat the biblical miracle, and he attempted it from a beach in Gabon’s capital of Libreville. ‘He told churchgoers he’d had a revelation that if he had enough faith, he could walk on water like Jesus,’ an eyewitness told the Glasgow Daily Record.

‘He took his congregation to the beach saying he would walk across the Komo estuary, which takes 20 minutes by boat. He walked into the water, which soon passed over his head and he never came back.’

A researcher at Florida State University believes he has a natural explanation for the account of Jesus’ miraculous walk on the surface of water — ice. Professor of Oceanography Doron Nof and the co-authors of his study theorize that a rare combination of optimal water and atmospheric conditions resulted in a unique, localized freezing phenomenon called ‘springs ice.’"

This horrible incident, together with a “professor’s” response, progresses from the tragically untaught to the supremely obtuse.

The Tragedy of Ignorance

“‘Pastor’ Kabele” obviously was a very sincere man; but sincerity does not nullify ignorance. I do not use this term in a pejorative way. All of us are ignorant in some matters. It’s just that sometimes one form of ignorance can have a greater consequence than others. In the first place it should be noted that “revelations” from God do not occur today. When the Old Testament era came to an end in Malachi’s day, 400 years passed with no “revelations” from God. This era frequently is described as “the four silent centuries.”

With the coming of a new age, from the commencement of Jesus’ ministry to the death of the apostle John, there was another relatively brief period when supernatural revelation and signs were manifest. When the New Testament was completed, and the apostles and other people possessing miraculous abilities died, no further signs were provided.

Had poor Mr. Kabele known his Bible better, he would not have attempted his “miracle” feat; had he possessed a moderate amount of common sense, he quickly would have discovered he could not “walk on water,” before the sea finally took him.
The “Ice” Theory

Eclipsing Kabele’s naivety is the theory of Professor Nof as to how Jesus was able to walk on the Sea of Galilee. Presumably, it was a “rare” (rare indeed!) condition wherein that body of water was seized by a unique “freezing phenomenon” that enabled Jesus to walk on top of the ice!

A consideration of the following facts would have saved the “professor” and his colleagues some embarrassment. (a) The incident of the walking on the water occurred in April, for the Passover was near (John 6:4). There was green grass on the hills nearby (Mark 6:39). (b) In April at the Sea of Galilee temperatures average from 53 to 67 degrees (the sea is 695 feet below sea level). Fruits, vegetables, and grains are grown year-round in the region. © There is no indication that the lake was frozen at any place. There was a significant wind and the waves were tumultuous (Matthew 14:24; John 6:18). (d) The boat obviously was not lodged in ice, for the disciples had rowed some 3 to 4 miles from shore (John 6:19). Peter was able to step out of the boat and walk on the “water” (not “ice”) toward the Lord. The apostle began to sink because of his fear, prompted by a lack of faith (Matthew 14:30-31) — not as a result of breaking through the ice!
Critics attack the Bible, contending that the “miracles” were myths, yet their rationalistic theories are more difficult to believe than genuine miracles!

https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1294-preacher-attempts-to-walk-on-water-and-drowns
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:19pm On Dec 26, 2013
loL

only 1 person has walked on water so far.

no not jesus. theres no evidence in that case.

I was referring to Chris Angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBQLq2VmZcA
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Nobody: 9:21pm On Dec 26, 2013
^^^^^
Greater is the man who walked on the moon. grin

2 Likes

Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 26, 2013
grin grin grin funny thread. One also entered a lions den sometime ago wanting to repeat daniels feat only to be devoured by the lion grin

Another one I heard put local bullet proof jazz on his body on his birthday, asked his friend to shoot him in the most confident and boastful tone.

Lol, the rest was history grin grin
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by PastorOluT(m): 9:47pm On Dec 26, 2013
This is the kind that give Christianity a bad name, had he read is bible well he would have discovered Jesus never did a miracle for show; there was always a reason for every miracle
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by SalC: 9:53pm On Dec 26, 2013
The pastor is sincerely ignorant. Must he try walking on water to prove his faith?

Smh
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by benny4wax(m): 9:57pm On Dec 26, 2013
na wao
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by mumumugu(m): 10:34pm On Dec 26, 2013
His faith wasnt strong enough
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Drniyi4u(m): 10:55pm On Dec 26, 2013
grin
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by sushieater: 11:09pm On Dec 26, 2013
aManFromMars: ^^^^^
Greater is the man who walked on the moon. grin

Lol. And the greatest is the man that holds the record for the longest ever moon walk

Michael Jackson grin
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by plaetton: 11:09pm On Dec 26, 2013
Sal C: The pastor is sincerely ignorant. Must he try walking on water to prove his faith?

Smh

Yes na.
Afterall, Can prayer not move mountains?
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 26, 2013
Pastor Olu T: This is the kind that give Christianity a bad name, had he read is bible well he would have discovered Jesus never did a miracle for show; there was always a reason for every miracle

Let me guess, he is not a true christian
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Nobody: 11:48pm On Dec 26, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
loL

only 1 person has walked on water so far.

no not jesus. theres no evidence in that case.

I was referring to Chris Angel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBQLq2VmZcA

watch dese nd u'll know all dese re dead tricks nd illusion ..u might even watch d whole channel..criss angel ma balls:

[img]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTKGzZNmxd4#[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTKGzZNmxd4#
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Ishilove: 2:21am On Dec 27, 2013
Pastor Olu T: This is the kind that give Christianity a bad name, had he read is bible well he would have discovered Jesus never did a miracle for show; there was always a reason for every miracle
Reminds me of that pastor in the late 80s who went to lions at the Ibadan zoo and tried to replicate the miracle of Daniel's escape from the lion's jaw. We all know how THAT ended embarassed

1 Like

Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by larrymoore(m): 6:43am On Dec 27, 2013
Innocent christians hear this msg....
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Nobody: 6:53am On Dec 27, 2013
Lol.

What was the purpose of walking on water apart from impressing the fishes and the fishermen?

What was the purpose of turning water to wine at the wedding? To get the guests drunk?

undecided

No matter how much faith you have, I'm quite sure you are never gonna walk into a den of lions or step on the head of anaconda. There's that 'doubt' that God may really not show up. grin
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by raptureready: 7:03am On Dec 27, 2013
Miracles are not for showboating. Didn't the pastor ever read the book of mathew or luke where Satan tempted Jesus by trying to get him to showboat?

Mathew 4:5-7

5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6 And saith unto him, If thou be the
Son of God, cast thyself down:
for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a
stone.
7 Jesus said unto him, It is written
again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord
thy God.

Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God pastor. God does miracles for a reason or a purpose sir.

1 Like

Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 27, 2013
What does it mean to tempt God? How can one tempt God?

Jesus was probably afraid he would break his bones and die if he jumped off the temple. God never saved any one from anything.

Yet, luke 10:19 reads
Behold! I have given you authority and power to trample upon serpents and scorpions, and [physical and mental strength and ability] over all the power that the enemy [possesses]; and nothing shall in any way harm you.

Any Christian willing to take up this challenge? Authority is given to be exercised, I believe.
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by mumumugu(m): 7:50am On Dec 27, 2013
[quote author=aManFromMars]^^^^^
Greater is the man who walked on the moon. grin[/quote

how does it feel walking on mars?]
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by raptureready: 7:58am On Dec 27, 2013
aManFromMars: What does it mean to tempt God? How can one tempt God?

If for example, I deliberately go and stand in the middle of an expressway...

aManFromMars: Jesus was probably afraid he would break his bones and die if he jumped off the temple. God never saved any one from anything.

Yet, the same Jesus walked on water, healed the lame/cripple and raised the dead...

So what's your point?

aManFromMars: Yet, luke 10:19 reads
Behold! I have given you authority and power to trample upon serpents and scorpions, and [physical and mental strength and ability] over all the power that the enemy [possesses]; and nothing shall in any way harm you.

Any Christian willing to take up this challenge? Authority is given to be exercised, I believe.

Bullshit.

Lemme quote that verse of the scripture correctly

Luke 10:17-20

17 And the seventy returned again
with joy, saying, Lord, even the devils are subject unto us through thy name.

18 And he said unto them, I beheld
Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

19 Behold, I give unto you power to
tread on serpents and scorpions, and
over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.

20 Notwithstanding in this rejoice not,
that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in heaven.

Pay attention to the bolded text.

Jesus was referring to Satan and his demons, not literal serpents/scorpions.

Christians exercise that authority over Satan and his minions whenever we want.

BTW, there are already snake charmers and scorpion charmers who handle snakes and scorpions anyhow they like.

It's only a neat parlour trick anybody can learn. They are willing to teach you even(for a price of course grin). You don't need "power" to do that. wink

1 Like

Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Nobody: 8:11am On Dec 27, 2013
undecided

So serpents and scorpions here means Satan and his cohorts. I guess when he said 'be as wise as serpents', he was also referring to the devil too.

Since the author of the Bible never speaks for himself, I guess the verses and their meanings are open to various interpretations. The more imaginative end up like Obadiah.
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by raptureready: 8:29am On Dec 27, 2013
aManFromMars: undecided

So serpents and scorpions here means Satan and his cohorts. I guess when he said 'be as wise as serpents', he was also referring to the devil too.

Since the author of the Bible never speaks for himself, I guess the verses and their meanings are open to various interpretations. The more imaginative end up like Obadiah.

You cannot just read and interprete just one verse of the scripture on its own.

The preceding and subsequent verses put it in the right context.

For example;

Proverbs 6:30

30 Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is
hungry;

Is the bible saying it is alright to steal when you are hungry?

You'll have to read the rest to find out grin
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by PastorOluT(m): 8:38am On Dec 27, 2013
Ishilove:
Reminds me of that pastor in the late 80s who went to lions at the Ibadan zoo and tried to replicate the miracle of Daniel's escape from the lion's jaw. We all know how THAT ended embarassed

Yeah, but cant seem to wrap my mind around how some people believe, sorry are deluded at times!
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by PastorOluT(m): 8:39am On Dec 27, 2013
rationalmind:

Let me guess, he is not a true christian

?
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by PastorOluT(m): 8:42am On Dec 27, 2013
aManFromMars:
Lol.

What was the purpose of walking on water apart from impressing the fishes and the fishermen?

What was the purpose of turning water to wine at the wedding? To get the guests drunk?

undecided

No matter how much faith you have, I'm quite sure you are never gonna walk into a den of lions or step on the head of anaconda. There's that 'doubt' that God may really not show up. grin

Need not say a thing 'cos I know u will never understand n also how this would end!
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by PastorOluT(m): 8:43am On Dec 27, 2013
rapture_ready: Miracles are not for showboating. Didn't the pastor ever read the book of mathew or luke where Satan tempted Jesus by trying to get him to showboat?

Mathew 4:5-7

5 Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6 And saith unto him, If thou be the
Son of God, cast thyself down:
for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a
stone.
7 Jesus said unto him, It is written
again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord
thy God.

Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God pastor. God does miracles for a reason or a purpose sir.
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 27, 2013
rapture_ready:
Proverbs 6:30

30 Men do not despise a thief, if he steal to satisfy his soul when he is
hungry;

Is the bible saying it is alright to steal when you are hungry?

Of course, that verse doesn't say it is right to steal when you're hungry. Most Africans pardoned those who were caught stealing food, if it was ascertained they did so because they were hungry. There's a tribe in Zambia where the royal family even gives the thief a cow.

So what were you saying?

1 Like

Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Nobody: 9:00am On Dec 27, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Need not say a thing 'cos I know u will never understand n also how this would end!

You mean 'you can never explain'? You just accept all bs by faith. smiley
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:11am On Dec 27, 2013
aManFromMars:
Of course, that verse doesn't say it is right to steal when you're hungry. Most Africans pardoned those who were caught stealing food, if it was ascertained they did so because they were hungry. There's a tribe in Zambia where the royal family even gives the thief a cow.

So what were you saying?

wow really?

kool.
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by raptureready: 9:33am On Dec 27, 2013
aManFromMars:

So what were you saying?

I am saying, somebody else may read that verse and say "hmmm... So I can steal if I am hungry eh?"

E go cum go inside market go thief, wen dem catch am e go say na bible send am...

I am saying from the way you correctly contextually interpreted that verse, it is now obvious you were deliberately quoting luke 10:19 out of context to look for trouble you alien douchebag. angry
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by Ajibam: 9:44am On Dec 27, 2013
pastor olu. T is right..
Jesus never did miracles to show case or dazzle the crowd.. when Herod try to make him do it, he refused (luke23:8-9)
even when the Pharisees ask him to show case it, he refused (Matthew 16:1-4)

what you do and others regard as faith is works. only God can count what we do as faith.. he should have waited for the justification of his faith by God not by trying to dazzle his church members.. ...
may God have mercy on him..
amen.
Re: Preacher Attempts To Walk On Water And Drowns by dareabiola98(m): 10:02am On Dec 27, 2013
mumumugu: His faith wasnt strong enough
yours is strong enof...will u help him complete his mission?

(1) (Reply)

"Book Of The Law" Puzzle (Aleister Crowley) - New Solution? / Random Issues About Christianity / How True Is Christians Claim That God Speaks To Them?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.