Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,941 members, 7,838,353 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 08:09 PM

65 Years Old Woman, Never Ran Before, Runs For The First Time And Wins Marathon - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 65 Years Old Woman, Never Ran Before, Runs For The First Time And Wins Marathon (1360 Views)

This 68-Year-Old Woman Completed Lagos Marathon (Photo) / Segun Odegbami Runs For FIFA Presidency / AFROBASKET2015 FINAL: Nigeria Vs. Angola 74 - 65 On 30th August 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

65 Years Old Woman, Never Ran Before, Runs For The First Time And Wins Marathon by molisk(f): 11:24am On Dec 27, 2013

Lata Bhagwan Kare astounded every spectator and participant by emerging barefoot at the event wearing a 9 yard Nauvari (traditional Maharashtrian Saree) and especially by outrunning every experienced marathoner behind and coming out victorious.

Can we ever consider of participating at such an event without proper training or at least without practicing of running for certain times before? Isn’t it awkward standing barefoot in the same line with professional runners (wearing proper dress code), in nauvari and competing with them?

Lata is a farm laborer in a town Pimpli approximately 7 km away from Baramati. She came to know about this event few days before the race through some of her relatives and decided to run, “when I came to know about this marathon, I expressed my interest to run the Marathon. At first he felt strange and took it lightly as he thought it wasn’t for me. But when he felt that I was determined, he gave me permission.” she told in an interview with DNA (Daily News and Analysis), she also admitted she had never run before, “Though I would walk one kilometre every day to get home from my work place, but I had never run before. I had never even tried to, because people might have laughed or gave me a strange look finding it to be unnatural and uncomfortable”.

Info Source: http://www.successstories.co.in/66-year-old-lata-bhagwan-wins-baramati-marathon-running-sari-barefoot/
Re: 65 Years Old Woman, Never Ran Before, Runs For The First Time And Wins Marathon by Spanishmario(m): 11:26am On Dec 27, 2013
Hmmm
Re: 65 Years Old Woman, Never Ran Before, Runs For The First Time And Wins Marathon by molisk(f): 11:28am On Dec 27, 2013
On the trophy it reads "First Prize"
She was awarded with Rs. 5000 (near $80 US dollars). When asked what she'll do with the money she replied that she'd buy some more food for the family of 5.
Re: 65 Years Old Woman, Never Ran Before, Runs For The First Time And Wins Marathon by pragmatistm(m): 9:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
Incredible.

(1) (Reply)

Falconets Star, Courtney Dike, Declines $7,000 NFF Bonus Payment / Petr, Courtois And Neuer Are The Best Goalkeepers In The World - Mourinho. /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.