Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,224 members, 7,818,765 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? (1627 Views)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Do You Think Has The Best Accent When Speaking English / What Aspect Of Our Culture(yoruba,hausa Or Igbo) Worth Of Being Imitating By Foreighners. / Why Do Nigerians Like To Yab(insult) people? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Fulaman198(m): 4:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
tonychristopher:

nigerian starring at oyibo thats quite understandable cos as an african if you go to some asian and caucus countries where we go few blacks they still stare at us tooo but what i hate is trying to immitate their accent why cnat they immitate my igbo accent ....bastardos

Lol, also not too long ago, many Asians didn't like black people due to the bad media the west provides to the rest of the world. It just seems like no one has respect for blacks/africans, but yet Africans treat everyone with high respect. It's about high-time we get rid of our inferiority complexes

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Nobody: 10:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
In my activities, I don't see the alleged problem the op is complaining about. I don't see Nigerians trying to speak like whites when they're speaking with whites. They may try to sound less accented to ease communication, pretty much like a Scotsman or Irishman in London straightens out his accent when speaking with folks. I think it's our greater cosmopolitanism that accounts for this consideration - our greater exposure to the outside world than say the average American who thinks everything revolves around their country. I think we should be proud of our relative sophistication in this regard. The rest of the world should learn from us.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by thorpido(m): 6:40am On Dec 31, 2013
bongolistik:
chai! Exactly what i am saying, jst SMH 4 U. So English belongs to indians, mexicans, germans, spanish, french. Its a pity that u are one of d people that will kip bowing 2 whites wherever u meet or see them 4 no reason even when nelson mandela has assisted ppl like u 2 gain back ur confidence. I am feeling 4 u seriously, so any white man u see, u believ he speaks better english than u, so u start imitating? Hav u seen an amerian before trying to speak like a british b4, or indian tryin 2 speak like american b4 in dier home country? Its obvious u don't even knw y u imitate any white guy voice, if u dnt knw, it is pure inferiority complex on ur part 4 u to see a pakistani wit pure arabic tongue speaking english nd u ar tryin 2 speak lik him jst because he is white. Its obvious u ar guilty of dat
LOL.You've got an inferiority complex.......dazz all!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Fulaman198(m): 4:56pm On Dec 31, 2013
thorpido: LOL.You've got an inferiority complex.......dazz all!

Yeah, he has an inferiority complex for stating the truth.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by ladionline: 5:36pm On Dec 31, 2013
we can never come out of self pity and self bashing forever?
It makes us feel good that we have confidence than some other of our own folks. Nasalizing or mimicking, do you have it in the dictionary? Is it only peculiar to Nigerians? what does that change?

It is not who you imitate or how you imitate anyone that change a thing about you. Great people don't tell on others. Great people talk of content of character, not some impressionists idiosyncrasies. Know what those folks really want to do: "impress" their listener, the (your) white folks. Do you know maybe they were thinking their life depend on the deal they were nasalising for? Eni ba maa m'obo, ase bi obo.

@OP, Do great and make the country proud, nobody would remember how disgusting the voice you speak with sound when they will read of you. Please think better things that elevate the countryman, lets try and inspire ourselves and not dis-empower others where we have discover our strength or power. I'm only saying we should know how to manage information at our disposal when we are "right", I don't mean any offense please.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Don't Have A Favorite Colour / Origin Of Igbos: Read The Debate Between Two First Class Igbo Monarchs / Cirmcumcised Vs Uncircumcised

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.