Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,265 members, 7,954,036 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:15 AM

Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? (1680 Views)

Which Tribe In Nigeria Do You Think Has The Best Accent When Speaking English / What Aspect Of Our Culture(yoruba,hausa Or Igbo) Worth Of Being Imitating By Foreighners. / Why Do Nigerians Like To Yab(insult) people? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by bongolistik(m): 1:02pm On Dec 29, 2013
I was in dangote cement company in Benue state, and a lot of inidians and other nationals are working there and I notice that whenever Nigerians wants to communicate with any of the white guys or indians, they alwyays wants to change the tone of their voice to speak like the white guys, not only there, i have noticed it many other places, even the nigerians that traveld out abroad do same over there, coming down to your own country again in Nigeria, you will want to imitate a whiteman the way he speaks all the time, but you will never see or hear any whiteman in any place trying to imitate anybody's voice, he will always flow in his own way be it him speaking with another white guy or a black man from any country. Don't you think it is height of inferiority complex that is causing that? Sometimes it even gets me angry when i see some nigerians doing it and thinking that is the best way to communicate with white guys. I don't think I will ever try that, whenever i speak with them i always use the voice and the tone i use in talking to my fellow black guys. Some even think that they are pleasing them by so doing, for Gods sake, please who? Are they not humans like you. And the funiest thing and the irony of all is that some of the white guys are not even from English speaking countries and don't even know how to speak very well, but you go all the way to imitate, you that is full blown British colonist. I believe it alwyas pays to always be yourselve in any situation you find yourselve before you go bite your tongue for trying to mimick white guys intonation. To butress the point more, it is just like president Jonathan now, traveling to india to meet the president or US, and you expect him to start imitating the way the president of india speak or the way American president speaks, it never happens that way, you will always hear Jonathan comunicate in his normal Nigerian english tongue. No formings at all or no trying to please anybody and other presidents understands him so does he understands them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by thorpido(m): 1:28pm On Dec 29, 2013
The language is theirs and the best way to speak a language is to try to speak it like the owners.Some whites who try to speak some African languages also try to speak in the tone of the native speakers.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by bongolistik(m): 1:35pm On Dec 29, 2013
thorpido: The language is theirs and the best way to speak a language is to try to speak it like the owners.Some whites who try to speak some African languages also try to speak in the tone of the native speakers.
chai! Exactly what i am saying, jst SMH 4 U. So English belongs to indians, mexicans, germans, spanish, french. Its a pity that u are one of d people that will kip bowing 2 whites wherever u meet or see them 4 no reason even when nelson mandela has assisted ppl like u 2 gain back ur confidence. I am feeling 4 u seriously, so any white man u see, u believ he speaks better english than u, so u start imitating? Hav u seen an amerian before trying to speak like a british b4, or indian tryin 2 speak like american b4 in dier home country? Its obvious u don't even knw y u imitate any white guy voice, if u dnt knw, it is pure inferiority complex on ur part 4 u to see a pakistani wit pure arabic tongue speaking english nd u ar tryin 2 speak lik him jst because he is white. Its obvious u ar guilty of dat

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by clip: 1:47pm On Dec 29, 2013
I travelled (Arab,Indian and Chinese, I.e Asia and Middle East) and tried to speak Nigeria and Queen English but discover they do no understand me. However,when I begin to speak their form of English,communication was established. Eg I do not have . I say,no have.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by bongolistik(m): 2:00pm On Dec 29, 2013
clip: I travelled (Arab,Indian and Chinese, I.e Asia and Middle East) and tried to speak Nigeria and Queen English but discover they do no understand me. However,when I begin to speak their form of English,communication was established. Eg I do not have . I say,no have.
ask urself, as far as it is corect english dat u ar speaking wit ur naija tongue nd dem too ar speakin coret english wit dier own tongue, den both of u most likely wil undastand each oda, if dey dnt understand u, den u too u ar nt supos 2 undastand dem if so. Bt dey only reason here dat dier shuld be break in comunication gap is jst becos dey dnt knw english very wel, so dey wunt understand u wel wen u flow normaly, jst lik u speakin pidgin english 2 dem wen dey ar only conversant wit corect english, dey wil nt also understand. On ur part u wr able 2 pick dier english evn wen dey ar mixing english words nd jagons 2geda, because u knw english wel
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Dec 29, 2013
Its not inferiority complex,its upgrade..everything in life needs some new standard,in the event of getting a job,your british or american accent might just be your selling point to which you got an edge over others,not to say nigeria english isn't of standard but dare to be different,do you think banky W and Darey sings better than 2face but they got an edge over 2face by anchoring events and also serving as judges to talent hunt or reality show..WHY? Spoken english counts!!!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by clip: 5:13pm On Dec 29, 2013
We also try to change our pronunciations so they can understand us. Our tongue pronunciation of a word may mean another word and meaning to them.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Fulaman198(m): 6:02pm On Dec 29, 2013
aaronson: Its not inferiority complex,its upgrade..everything in life needs some new standard,in the event of getting a job,your british or american accent might just be your selling point to which you got an edge over others,not to say nigeria english isn't of standard but dare to be different,do you think banky W and Darey sings better than 2face but they got an edge over 2face by anchoring events and also serving as judges to talent hunt or reality show..WHY? Spoken english counts!!!

You are wrong, it is an inferiority complex that we Nigerians have (women even more so). No other culture group does this rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by bongolistik(m): 7:49pm On Dec 29, 2013
aaronson: Its not inferiority complex,its upgrade..everything in life needs some new standard,in the event of getting a job,your british or american accent might just be your selling point to which you got an edge over others,not to say nigeria english isn't of standard but dare to be different,do you think banky W and Darey sings better than 2face but they got an edge over 2face by anchoring events and also serving as judges to talent hunt or reality show..WHY? Spoken english counts!!!
SMH, wht form of upgrade is dt, smtin dt u dnt evn knw hw to do or cant even mimick dem wel, u ar dier giving urself headace, even a chinese man dt speaks english dey also imitate. Y isn't president jonah doin it in every country he traveld 2? Inferiority complex has eaten deep in2 nigerians, kenyans dont do dat, south africans dnt, no oda country does it, so is it only nigerians dat ar upgrading, jst SMH, wht a childish way of upgrading. Imitate chinis, arabs,indians speaking english nd keep caling it upgrade

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Fulaman198(m): 8:47pm On Dec 29, 2013
bongolistik:
SMH, wht form of upgrade is dt, smtin dt u dnt evn knw hw to do or cant even mimick dem wel, u ar dier giving urself headace, even a chinese man dt speaks english dey also imitate. Y isn't president jonah doin it in every country he traveld 2? Inferiority complex has eaten deep in2 nigerians, kenyans dont do dat, south africans dnt, no oda country does it, so is it only nigerians dat ar upgrading, jst SMH, wht a childish way of upgrading. Imitate chinis, arabs,indians speaking english nd keep caling it upgrade

Everything you say here is so true lol
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by tpia5: 8:49pm On Dec 29, 2013
op you need to work on your english though.

if thats unacceptable to you, then speak in your native dialect, just saying.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Fulaman198(m): 8:52pm On Dec 29, 2013
tpia@:

Please Madame, abeg it is the internet. Maybe he can speak his native tongue extremely well. Regardless, what he says is very true about Nigerians and the low self-esteem and inferiority complex.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by tpia5: 9:22pm On Dec 29, 2013
do you mean can or cant?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by bongolistik(m): 9:38pm On Dec 29, 2013
tpia@:

i hav alwys knwn u 2 be very controvertial here nd also nt very constructive wit d choice and usage of ur words, if u knw d tiny fone dat i used in typin doz whole txt witout borderin 2 edit it nor even seeing my previous txts as i typ, den u shuld be comendin me rada dan being cynical. Is dis nt d pesn dt ws questionin linda ikeji 4 buildin a hous 4 her parents nw and sayin y dint she build it since. I knw she is d one, tpia abi otapiapia. If it coms 2 english, i dnt tink u knw half of wht i knw, so stop actin or speaking as if u ar a custodian of d english language
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by tpia5: 10:39pm On Dec 29, 2013
bongolistik:
Is dis nt d pesn dt ws questionin linda ikeji 4 buildin a hous 4 her parents nw and sayin y dint she build it since

eod.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by tpia5: 10:39pm On Dec 29, 2013
tpia@:

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Emmyk(m): 11:11pm On Dec 29, 2013
Nigeria's Got Talent. cheesycheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by drdams: 1:04am On Dec 30, 2013
This is the 'shiti-est' post have come across this yuletide.

English is for England!
Mind you, they arent imitating white men but Britons.
Be informed that some Argentines, Venezuelans, Italians, Spanairds etc. are whites but not all have the British accent (which I would say, is the real english).

A white man will always try his best to pronounce Chukwudi the Igbo way, Shola the Yoruba way and Danjuma the Hausa way.

English isnt your language.
A friend of mine who is a Graduate Assistant in Urbana Champain, U.S always lament that her white folks complains about her accent. Now shes trying to blend in the American-English + British-English.

Have done interviews with white men, physically and on phone, my brother, I use confirm 'phonetics'.
Y? Nobi my language, I have to try my best to speak the real version.

If na Punjabi Jonathan speak for India, he wont be too local to 'IJAWise' it.

Using the right phonetics is part of understanding a language.
bongolistik: I was in dangote cement company in Benue state, and a lot of inidians and other nationals are working there and I notice that whenever Nigerians wants to communicate with any of the white guys or indians, they alwyays wants to change the tone of their voice to speak like the white guys, not only there, i have noticed it many other places, even the nigerians that traveld out abroad do same over there, coming down to your own country again in Nigeria, you will want to imitate a whiteman the way he speaks all the time, but you will never see or hear any whiteman in any place trying to imitate anybody's voice, he will always flow in his own way be it him speaking with another white guy or a black man from any country. Don't you think it is height of inferiority complex that is causing that? Sometimes it even gets me angry when i see some nigerians doing it and thinking that is the best way to communicate with white guys. I don't think I will ever try that, whenever i speak with them i always use the voice and the tone i use in talking to my fellow black guys. Some even think that they are pleasing them by so doing, for Gods sake, please who? Are they not humans like you. And the funiest thing and the irony of all is that some of the white guys are not even from English speaking countries and don't even know how to speak very well, but you go all the way to imitate, you that is full blown British colonist. I believe it alwyas pays to always be yourselve in any situation you find yourselve before you go bite your tongue for trying to mimick white guys intonation. To butress the point more, it is just like president Jonathan now, traveling to india to meet the president or US, and you expect him to start imitating the way the president of india speak or the way American president speaks, it never happens that way, you will always hear Jonathan comunicate in his normal Nigerian english tongue. No formings at all or no trying to please anybody and other presidents understands him so does he understands them.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Fulaman198(m): 3:44am On Dec 30, 2013
dr dams: This is the 'shiti-est' post have come across this yuletide.

English is for England!
Be informed that some Argentines, Venezuelans, Italians, Spanairds etc. are whites but not all have the British accent (which I would say, is the real english).

A white man will always try his best to pronounce Chukwudi the Igbo way, Shola the Yoruba way and Danjuma the Hausa way.

A friend of mine who is a Graduate Assistant in Urbana Champain, U.S always lament that her white folks complains about her accent. Now shes trying to blend in the American-English + British-English.

Have done interviews with white men, physically and on phone, my brother, I use confirm 'phonetics'.

Women are always trying to blend in the most, it is so disgraceful.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by bongolistik(m): 6:39am On Dec 30, 2013
dr dams: This is the 'shiti-est' post have come across this yuletide.

English is for England!

u sound a bit naive wen u said dt it is briton dt dey ar imitating nd nt white men, smtin dt i see steady even when chinese men here ar speakin english, many nigerian folks here try to imitate them nd speak d same way, so u call dis one imitating briton. Ask urself y it is mostly nigerians dat do doz shit. And d major thing we ar talkin here is d tone of d voice, u start twistin nd changin ur tone 2 be lik dat chinese guy u ar speakin wit, y nt him changin his own to suit urs. Typical inferiority complex. Nd wen has a chinese man becom a briton, so stop mentionin briton here cos dey imitate anytine white guys. Luk at d topic wel, i neva mentiond dem imitatin briton. Let me giv u typical exampl of wht d topic is al about. D way david beckam speak is difrent from the way john terry speaks, both ar pure british right, den if dis fake naija guys want 2 talk wit beckam, dey wil try to imitate him nd speak same wey, if dey nw go 2 john terry dey wil also re-twist dier tongue 2 speak lik him, so tel me nw, who is foolin who, by d tim u knw it u see dt dey twist dier tongue 2 any white guy dey see. One day dey wil twist off dier tongue. Nd who even told u dat u ar imitatin dem wel sef, is ur occupation tongue twister?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by bongolistik(m): 7:15am On Dec 30, 2013
clip: We also try to change our pronunciations so they can understand us. Our tongue pronunciation of a word may mean another word and meaning to them.
so u think dey ar dat daf nd u ar bright 4 u 2 be undastandin dem nd dem nt undastandin u, so dier own tongue pronunciatin can not mean anoda word or meanin 2 u? D questn here is 'y is it only u dat is tryin 2 change ur own pronunciaton 2 suit dem nd nt dem tryin 2 change diers 2 suit urs, 4 eg, if it ws a chinese pesn u wr speakin english wit'
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by tonychristopher: 8:53am On Dec 30, 2013
bongolistik: I was in dangote cement company in Benue state, and a lot of inidians and other nationals are working there and I notice that whenever Nigerians wants to communicate with any of the white guys or indians, they alwyays wants to change the tone of their voice to speak like the white guys, not only there, i have noticed it many other places, even the nigerians that traveld out abroad do same over there, coming down to your own country again in Nigeria, you will want to imitate a whiteman the way he speaks all the time, but you will never see or hear any whiteman in any place trying to imitate anybody's voice, he will always flow in his own way be it him speaking with another white guy or a black man from any country. Don't you think it is height of inferiority complex that is causing that? Sometimes it even gets me angry when i see some nigerians doing it and thinking that is the best way to communicate with white guys. I don't think I will ever try that, whenever i speak with them i always use the voice and the tone i use in talking to my fellow black guys. Some even think that they are pleasing them by so doing, for Gods sake, please who? Are they not humans like you. And the funiest thing and the irony of all is that some of the white guys are not even from English speaking countries and don't even know how to speak very well, but you go all the way to imitate, you that is full blown British colonist. I believe it alwyas pays to always be yourselve in any situation you find yourselve before you go bite your tongue for trying to mimick white guys intonation. To butress the point more, it is just like president Jonathan now, traveling to india to meet the president or US, and you expect him to start imitating the way the president of india speak or the way American president speaks, it never happens that way, you will always hear Jonathan comunicate in his normal Nigerian english tongue. No formings at all or no trying to please anybody and other presidents understands him so does he understands them.

that's inferiority complex and beside that Indians ain't whites they are damned Asian and Hindus with parochial caste system

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Emmyk(m): 9:47am On Dec 30, 2013
cheesy grin How do Nigerians try to form Chinese, Mexicans, Spaniards and Indians accents (the way they speak English)?

This is a Joke! cheesycheesy

Like Dr. Dams said, these Nigerians only try to speak like Britons when they are in a conversation with Foreigners (from other continents aside Africa).
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by bongolistik(m): 9:56am On Dec 30, 2013
Emmyk: cheesy grin How do Nigerians try to form Chinese, Mexicans, Spaniards and Indians accents (the way they speak English)?

Like Dr. Dams said, these Nigerians only try to speak like Britons when they are in a conversation with Foreigners (from other continents aside Africa).
mayb u hav nt seen many nigerians speakin wit indians or chinese b4, as i am presently witnesin it here nw, many of d nigerians down here, especialy d petty traders ar alwys tryin 2 speak lik d indians buyin tins 4rm dem, nd u may also want 2 deny d way nigerians gaze at any oyibo man passing by
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by bongolistik(m): 10:01am On Dec 30, 2013
Emmyk: cheesy grin How do Nigerians try to form Chinese, Mexicans, Spaniards and Indians accents (the way they speak English)?

ask urself, y only nigerians tryin 2 do dt, ar dey d only african country or ar dey d only british colonist in africa? Smtin is definatly wrong smwr inferior! Inferior! Ur ghana nebo sef dnt hav tim 2 tongue twist wen conversin wit any oyibo man nd it doesnt mek u beta dan him in any way wen u tongue twist while speakin wit whit guys. Naija got talent. Learn 2 be urself, ppl wil even apreciate u better, because u alwys com out at ur best by so doin, nt tryin 2 do wht u cant even do wel, it reduces ur potential if u dnt knw cos u appear fake nd even demean urself in d process. Originality alwys pay ok. Even if u use cream 2 rub ur face, u cant be white, so pls stop tongue twisting. It wunt tek u 2 any place or mek u beta dan doz dt alwys use dier tones

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Emmyk(m): 10:14am On Dec 30, 2013
bongolistik:
mayb u hav nt seen many nigerians speakin wit indians or chinese b4, as i am presently witnesin it here nw, many of d nigerians down here, especialy d petty traders ar alwys tryin 2 speak lik d indians buyin tins 4rm dem, nd u may also want 2 deny d way nigerians gaze at any oyibo man passing by
You also have a problem with that? grincheesy It's high time you knew you have a problem too - staring at Nigerians staring at Oyinbos. cheesycheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Emmyk(m): 10:17am On Dec 30, 2013
bongolistik:
ask urself, y only nigerians tryin 2 do dt, ar dey d only african country or ar dey d only british colonist in africa? Smtin is definatly wrong smwr inferior! Inferior! Ur ghana nebo sef dnt hav tim 2 tongue twist wen conversin wit any oyibo man nd it doesnt mek u beta dan him in any way wen speakin wit whit guys. Naija got talent
Alright buddy. cool Whenever you see Nigerians acting in this way, walk up to 'em and let them know they so much disgust you. cool .

Cheers.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by bongolistik(m): 10:18am On Dec 30, 2013
Emmyk:
You also have a problem with that? grincheesy It's high time you knew you have a problem too - staring at Nigerians staring at Oyinbos. cheesycheesy
u dnt evn need 2 stare at any nigerians b4 u wil knw dt all dier eyes ar on dat oyibo man passing, u wil jst feel nd knw dt ppl are gazin on odas
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Emmyk(m): 10:27am On Dec 30, 2013
bongolistik:
u dnt evn need 2 stare at any nigerians b4 u wil knw dt all dier eyes ar on dat oyibo man passing, u wil jst feel nd knw dt ppl are gazin on odas
And again, it's only Nigerians that gaze at Oyinbos, because you have been all over Africa, yes? undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by Fulaman198(m): 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
What the OP is saying is very important though. Put the inferiority complexes aside, you are less respected when you try to behave like something you are not, in this case a British white male. Be proud of your African heritage, don't be a copycat with low self-esteem. So called educated people seem to be the ones with the largest inferiority complex to white people, and that should not be the case. Stop being so afraid and be yourself. I agree with the OPs message. I myself, I won't lie, I'm myself 95% of the time, however in a corporate setting or on Oyibo man's country I sometimes am guilty of impersonating them.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by tpia5: 2:32pm On Dec 30, 2013
bongolistik:

What exactly is your point?

And kindly type in english, didn't there use to be a rule about that btw.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Like Imitating White Men Voice When Speaking With Them? by tonychristopher: 2:58pm On Dec 30, 2013
Emmyk:

nigerian starring at oyibo thats quite understandable cos as an african if you go to some asian and caucus countries where we go few blacks they still stare at us tooo but what i hate is trying to immitate their accent why cnat they immitate my igbo accent ....bastardos

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pregnancy Shoot Taking To The Extreme !!!!!! / African Tradition: Meet The Machina Emirate, Where Snakes Pay Homage To King / Friday The 13th, Good Or Bad Omen?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.