Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,507 members, 7,826,916 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? (935 Views)

The Nigerian Reading Culture - A Dire Situation! / Relationship Between Etsako Names And Culture: A Linguistic Perspective / Meeting! Topic: Is Our Culture A Curse? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 30, 2013
I have been trying to decipher the reasons why we (Africans) fall so much in love with the western culture at the detriment of our own.
Can some one please tell me why Eba, Akpu and Pando would be eaten with a fork and knife instead of using bare hands?

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Geestarry(f): 10:03am On Dec 30, 2013
Civilization na. Wat else
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Nobody: 11:49am On Dec 30, 2013
Den make we allow oyibo come teach us how to chop oure own food in the name of civilization?
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 1:26pm On Dec 30, 2013
Geestarry: Civilization na. Wat else

Major inferiority complex

3 Likes

Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by bukatyne(f): 6:17pm On Dec 30, 2013
@OP: what is western culture?
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by RandomAfricanAm: 7:30pm On Dec 30, 2013
Two major vectors of foreign cultural attack...

1. Media(music, movies, TV shows, websites, sports)
2. Returnees from the Diaspora(People associate the status of these people not merely with application of education; but also with hairstyles, speech, clothing, etc)

Note: number 2 is the vector I have the most issue with concerning these self hating people. The most ironic display being the ones who complain about "backward superstitious people" who then basically attempt to devour other peoples culture in a bid to be like (insert perceived quality here). what makes that ironic is they are employing the same logic as a person killing a lion and devouring it's flesh in a bid to be like (insert perceived quality here). It's the same line of logic except concerning a different entity.

Note 2: Colonization provides the gapping hole for those cultural mores to take a stronger hold then they normally would otherwise. The self haters also seem to believe that the fact that the colonial period(that only lasted 50ish years ...spain was occupied for 800) occurred is a rationalization for their cultural "betrayal".

2 Likes

Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 7:51pm On Dec 30, 2013
RandomAfricanAm: Two major vectors of foreign cultural attack...

2. Returnees from the Diaspora(People associate the status of these people not merely with application of education; but also with hairstyles, speech, clothing, etc)

Note: number 2 is the vector I have the most issue with concerning these self hating people. The most ironic display being the ones who complain about "backward superstitious people" who then basically attempt to devour other peoples culture in a bid to be like (insert perceived quality here). what makes that ironic is they are employing the same logic as a person killing a lion and devouring it's flesh in a bid to be like (insert perceived quality here). It's the same line of logic except concerning a different entity.

Note 2: Colonization provides the gapping hole for those cultural mores to take a stronger hold then they normally would otherwise. The self haters also seem to believe that the fact that the colonial period(that only lasted 50ish years ...spain was occupied for 800) occurred is a rationalization for their cultural "betrayal".

You hit the buzzer on the head

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
[quote author=bukatyne]@OP: what is western culture?
Western culture is simply foreign culture...
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Dec 30, 2013
[quote author=bukatyne]@OP: what is western culture?
Western culture is simply foreign culture (Oyibo people)...
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by bukatyne(f): 4:40am On Dec 31, 2013
[quote author=ijigaparadox][/quote]

Foreign culture? I would really appreciate specific examples
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Nobody: 7:05am On Dec 31, 2013
British and American culture are good examples

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 4:16pm On Dec 31, 2013
ijigaparadox: British and American culture are good examples
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by RandomAfricanAm: 7:37pm On Dec 31, 2013

I like to define it as...

- white folks and "friends" tongue grin

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by bukatyne(f): 8:30pm On Dec 31, 2013

You still are not getting me

I want specifics like 'it is yoruba's culture to kneel for elders' kind of examples.
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 8:40pm On Dec 31, 2013
bukatyne:

You still are not getting me

I want specifics like 'it is yoruba's culture to kneel for elders' kind of examples.

Quit trying to pretend you don't know what he's talking about.

2 Likes

Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by bukatyne(f): 9:08pm On Dec 31, 2013
Fulaman198:

Quit trying to pretend you don't know what he's talking about.

Why should I pretend?

What western culture is Africans imbibing?
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 9:48pm On Dec 31, 2013
bukatyne:

Why should I pretend?

What western culture is Africans imbibing?

Language, way of talking, way if dressing, bleaching of skin, the list goes on
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by bukatyne(f): 1:15am On Jan 01, 2014
Fulaman198:

Language, way of talking, way if dressing, bleaching of skin, the list goes on

For bleaching, I heard we are leading. We have always preferred the fair skin to black. Even before this bleaching nonsense, musicians have always sang about fair omoges

There is a difference between following western culture and been civilized.

The whites didnot dress the way they did now. The conservative ones are also complaining.

They used to wear long flowing gowns with layers of underwear, socks, gloves and bonnet. Now look at it today.

All cultures are evolving. Afteral, blacks brought about tattoos the whites have tushed up.

People are reinventing the wheel daily and coming up with new trends.

Years ago, everything you wear must be to match. Today, I can carry a green bag on a grey outfit and call it colour blocking

Are some blacks mindlessly copying the western media? Yes because it is seen as the height of civilization. Once, the world as copying Greeks, Romans and Eygptians.

If Nigeria becomes the next world power, our way of life becomes the zenith of civilization grin

1 Like

Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by RandomAfricanAm: 5:45pm On Jan 03, 2014
RandomAfricanAm: Two major vectors of foreign cultural attack...

Note 2: Colonization provides the gapping hole for those cultural mores to take a stronger hold then they normally would otherwise. The self haters also seem to believe that the fact that the colonial period(that only lasted 50ish years ...spain was[/b] occupied [b]for 800) occurred is a rationalization for their cultural "betrayal".
Re: Is African Culture A Slave To Western Culture? by Fulaman198(m): 7:44am On Jan 04, 2014
bukatyne:

For bleaching, I heard we are leading. We have always preferred the fair skin to black. Even before this bleaching nonsense, musicians have always sang about fair omoges

There is a difference between following western culture and been civilized.

The whites didnot dress the way they did now. The conservative ones are also complaining.

They used to wear long flowing gowns with layers of underwear, socks, gloves and bonnet. Now look at it today.

All cultures are evolving. Afteral, blacks brought about tattoos the whites have tushed up.

People are reinventing the wheel daily and coming up with new trends.

Years ago, everything you wear must be to match. Today, I can carry a green bag on a grey outfit and call it colour blocking

Are some blacks mindlessly copying the western media? Yes because it is seen as the height of civilization. Once, the world as copying Greeks, Romans and Eygptians.

If Nigeria becomes the next world power, our way of life becomes the zenith of civilization grin

Being westernised has nothing to do with becoming the zenith of civilisation. In addition, not all men have an inferiority complex and want fair complexioned women. I personally love very dark complexioned women.

(1) (Reply)

Most Popular Hausa Man Alive (picture) / Why The Nigerian Man Needs To Start Planning For Christmas From September / Ni Ipinle Oyo, Owo Awon Olopa Ti Ba Awon Afurasi L'ebo-l'oogun Merin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.