Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,162 members, 7,845,823 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 05:18 AM

Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? (831 Views)

Is Religion Our Main Reason For Being backward in Africa? / Is Religion A Hoax? - Watch the "truth" about The Greatest Story Ever Told / Is Religion A Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:04am On Jan 01, 2014
Is religion the root of all evil?

A common refrain sung in the twenty–first century is that religion is the root cause of the great atrocities of human history. In reality, more people died as a result of secularist ideologies in the last century alone than have died in all the religiously motivated conflicts of Western history.

First, the Nazi philosophy that Jews were subhuman and that Aryans were Supermen led to the extermination of six million Jews. In the words of Sir Arthur Keith, a militant anti–Christian physical anthropologist: "The German Fuhrer, as I have consistently maintained, is an evolutionist; he has consistently sought to make the practices of Germany conform to the theory of evolution." Far from religiously motivated, Hitler’s "Final Solution to the Jewish problem" was grounded in the naturalistic philosophy of survival of the fittest. In fact, Hitler overtly distanced himself from Christianity, proclaiming, "I shall never come to terms with the Christian lie" and "Our epoch will certainly see the end of the disease of Christianity."

Furthermore, the inherently atheistic utopian philosophy of communism eclipsed even the carnage of Hitler's Germany. Karl Marx saw in philosophical naturalism the scientific and sociological support for an economic experiment that led to the mass murder of multiplied millions worldwide. Mao Tse–tung’s communist dictatorship of China accounted for the deaths of an estimated sixty–five million people, while the U.S.S.R. under Stalin saw between twenty and thirty million murdered as a result of agrarian collectivization and the Great Purge. Add to that two million Cambodians––nearly a quarter of that nation's population—massacred by Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge regime, and the death toll resulting from the secular ideology of communism becomes a horror beyond comprehension. More people died as a result of secularist ideologies in the last century alone than have died in all the religiously motivated conflicts of Western history.

Finally, a third ideology of modern secularism has led to even more ghastly consequences. Though not formally organized under a deranged dictator, this invisible holocaust continues to claim the lives of untold millions around the globe. Four thousand helpless victims––more than the total casualties of 9/11––die each day in the United States alone. The secularist ideology to which I refer, of course, is abortion-ism. Indeed, the modern bio-ethical holocaust has eclipsed the carnage of Nazism and communism combined. Even apart from the ongoing genocide of the unborn, over one hundred million people died at the hands of secularist regimes during the twentieth century. Coupled with recognition of the innumerable humanitarian aid efforts motivated by religious commitments, these statistics should motivate secularists toward humble introspection, rather than haughty inculpation of religion.

--Hank Hanegraaff | The Complete Bible Answer Book

For further study, see Os Guinness, Unspeakable: Facing up to Evil in an Age of Genocide and Terror (San Francisco: Harper San Francisco,2005) http://www.equip.org/bookstore/unspeakable-facing-up-to-evil-in-an-age-of-genocide-and-terror-2/;see also,Hank Hanegraaff,“If Christianity is true, why are so many atrocities committed in the name of Christ?” http://www.equip.org/bible_answers/if-christianity-is-true-why-are-so-many-atrocities-committed-in-the-name-of-christ/

"When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers." -- Proverbs 21:15
Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by mmsen: 6:35am On Jan 01, 2014
Religion is a tool used to grasp power.

Power is the root of evil.
Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by Nobody: 11:12am On Jan 01, 2014
I personally think religion is over-hyped. To me its just a medium for a select few to brain-wash d masses
Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by PastorOluT(m): 1:54pm On Jan 01, 2014
U dint go the way I was expecting, anyways religion is the root of evil. If u will I will explain my stance?
Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:13pm On Jan 01, 2014
mmsen:

Religion is a tool used to grasp power.

Power is the root of evil.

You have not answered the question: Is religion the root of all evil as the skeptics insist?
Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:14pm On Jan 01, 2014
DEVA1:

I personally think religion is over-hyped. To me its just a medium for a select few to brain-wash d masses

Do you then think secularist ideologies are under-hyped?
Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:16pm On Jan 01, 2014
Pastor Olu T:

U dint go the way I was expecting, anyways religion is the root of evil. If u will I will explain my stance?

I understand your point bro. The OP just wants to find out whether religion is the root of all evil. True Christianity never started any evil.

1 Like

Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by Nobody: 5:46pm On Jan 01, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

Do you then think secularist ideologies are under-hyped?

Yup. We ain't getting enough attention
Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:21pm On Jan 01, 2014
DEVA1:

Yup. We ain't getting enough attention

Do you think you have to kill more people to get enough attention?

1 Like

Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by mmsen: 4:16pm On Jan 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

You have not answered the question: Is religion the root of all evil as the skeptics insist?

If I answer that 'Power is the root of all evil' then that would negate your claim that 'religion' is the root of all evil.

Religion is a wonderful tool used to keep the sheep in line.

Sheep are meant to be slaughtered.
Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by FromGuiriga(m): 4:54pm On Jan 05, 2014
OLAADEGBU: Is religion the root of all evil?

A common refrain sung in the twenty–first century is that religion is the root cause of the great atrocities of human history. In reality, more people died as a result of secularist ideologies in the last century alone than have died in all the religiously motivated conflicts of Western history.

First, the Nazi philosophy that Jews were subhuman and that Aryans were Supermen led to the extermination of six million Jews. In the words of Sir Arthur Keith, a militant anti–Christian physical anthropologist: "The German Fuhrer, as I have consistently maintained, is an evolutionist; he has consistently sought to make the practices of Germany conform to the theory of evolution." Far from religiously motivated, Hitler’s "Final Solution to the Jewish problem" was grounded in the naturalistic philosophy of survival of the fittest. In fact, Hitler overtly distanced himself from Christianity, proclaiming, "I shall never come to terms with the Christian lie" and "Our epoch will certainly see the end of the disease of Christianity."

Furthermore, the inherently atheistic utopian philosophy of communism eclipsed even the carnage of Hitler's Germany. Karl Marx saw in philosophical naturalism the scientific and sociological support for an economic experiment that led to the mass murder of multiplied millions worldwide. Mao Tse–tung’s communist dictatorship of China accounted for the deaths of an estimated sixty–five million people, while the U.S.S.R. under Stalin saw between twenty and thirty million murdered as a result of agrarian collectivization and the Great Purge. Add to that two million Cambodians––nearly a quarter of that nation's population—massacred by Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge regime, and the death toll resulting from the secular ideology of communism becomes a horror beyond comprehension. More people died as a result of secularist ideologies in the last century alone than have died in all the religiously motivated conflicts of Western history.

Finally, a third ideology of modern secularism has led to even more ghastly consequences. Though not formally organized under a deranged dictator, this invisible holocaust continues to claim the lives of untold millions around the globe. Four thousand helpless victims––more than the total casualties of 9/11––die each day in the United States alone. The secularist ideology to which I refer, of course, is abortion-ism. Indeed, the modern bio-ethical holocaust has eclipsed the carnage of Nazism and communism combined. Even apart from the ongoing genocide of the unborn, over one hundred million people died at the hands of secularist regimes during the twentieth century. Coupled with recognition of the innumerable humanitarian aid efforts motivated by religious commitments, these statistics should motivate secularists toward humble introspection, rather than haughty inculpation of religion.

--Hank Hanegraaff | The Complete Bible Answer Book

For further study, see Os Guinness, Unspeakable: Facing up to Evil in an Age of Genocide and Terror (San Francisco: Harper San Francisco,2005) http://www.equip.org/bookstore/unspeakable-facing-up-to-evil-in-an-age-of-genocide-and-terror-2/;see also,Hank Hanegraaff,“If Christianity is true, why are so many atrocities committed in the name of Christ?” http://www.equip.org/bible_answers/if-christianity-is-true-why-are-so-many-atrocities-committed-in-the-name-of-christ/

"When justice is done, it brings joy to the righteous but terror to evildoers." -- Proverbs 21:15

No.

Give thanks.

1 Like

Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:55am On Jan 07, 2014
mmsen:

If I answer that 'Power is the root of all evil' then that would negate your claim that 'religion' is the root of all evil.

Where did I claim that religion is the root of all evil?

mmsen:

Religion is a wonderful tool used to keep the sheep in line.

There are sheep and goats what do you think is used to keep the goats in line?

mmsen:

Sheep are meant to be slaughtered.

True sheep follow their Shepherd and their Shepherd has laid down His life for His sheep.

Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:56am On Jan 07, 2014
From_Guiriga:

No.

Give thanks.

What then is?
Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by FromGuiriga(m): 6:09am On Jan 08, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

What then is?

To blame religion for evil is like blaming a pool after I almost drowned after I jumped knowing I cannot swim.
Then someone saves me and tells me "that pool is evil"
Nonsense brother!
Anyhow...evil comes from selfish desires and ignorance.

Give thanks for the reasoning.
Re: Is Religion The Root Of All Evil? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:03pm On Jul 03, 2014
OLAADEGBU:

I understand your point bro. The OP just wants to find out whether religion is the root of all evil. True Christianity never started any evil.

True Christianity is not religion but relationship with Jesus.

(1) (Reply)

Prophet George Prophecy About 2014 / What Are Your Views On Psychokinesis. / Profile Of Samuel Herd (new Governing Body Member)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.