Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,054 members, 7,956,934 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 11:00 PM

Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 (3096 Views)

Yaya Toure Is The CAF African Best Player Of The Year / Yaya Toure Is CAF African Footballer Of 2013 / Yaya Toure Is African Footballer For 2012 : Glo CAF Awards 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by Jarus(m): 7:59am On Jan 02, 2014
safarigirl: no mind am, dem boku for here, the Naija haters, even if Enyeama broke the European record, they would still take Yaya. My own sef has to do with why they omitted Enyeama and put Drogba instead, cuz Enyeama deserved this ish more than anyone else on that top 3- yes, including Yeye, abi is it because your colonial masters are hyping him? Doesn't matter who they choose, the shiit is a set-up anyways. Enyeama is the REAL APoTY

It's not about hating Nigeria. I will be so happy to see a Nigerian win it; it even gives me bragging right against the loud-mouthed Ghanaians and other African countries. But this is reality.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by chiefololade: 8:03am On Jan 02, 2014
Jarus:

It's not about hating Nigeria. I will be so happy to see a Nigerian win it; it even gives me bragging right against the loud-mouthed Ghanaians and other African countries. But this is reality.
So on what basis do you think Yaya is better than Mikel?
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by Jiggaman101: 8:20am On Jan 02, 2014
safarigirl: AFCON 2006- zilch. AFCON 2010- zilch. AFCON 2012- silver. AFCON 2013- zilch. YAYA TOURE- overhyped underachiever.

You can't compare any nigerian Player to yaya. Give credit where credit is due. Yaya deserve it and I am glad he won it.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by chiefololade: 8:26am On Jan 02, 2014
Jigga_man101:

You can't compare any nigerian Ayer to yaya. Give credit where credit is due. Yaya deserve it and I am glad he won it.
Glad he won what? Do you read news at all?
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by pickabeau1: 8:30am On Jan 02, 2014
Jarus:
It is not by performance in one or two matches. Zambia also beat Cote D'Ivoire in 2012, but it was glaring Drogba and Yaya went ahead to have better 2012 than Katongo.

For those blaming CAF, CAF don't give players award, all national team captains and coaches votes, and results are published. Let's stop this ignorance.

(not) Using the katongo example is a no-brainer, He did not do well in the club...

That year 2012 was even bad for me as DD should have won...

Yahya won the league with man city while DD won the double - FA Cup + UCL yet they gave it to yaya

Mikel was instrumental in benitez's team last year and they won honours.. yaya won nothing...

This year he(yaya) has been immense for city... so no brainer
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by Jiggaman101: 8:35am On Jan 02, 2014
chiefololade:
Glad he won what? Do you read news at all?

My bad thought he already won it, anyway it is just a matter of time. Just read the title then I went on to the comments. Wanted to pick a fight with my baby safarigirl
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by omar22(m): 8:54am On Jan 02, 2014
chiefololade: Omar22 I just don't know why you are hating. Take it or leave it Mikel is one of the best African player of our time, Yaya is playing better but there are other players that are doing what Yaya is doing for their club but you don't know them maybe because they are not playing in England or you are just being bias.
Mind you I'm not a Chelsea fan, I rep Internazionale!!!
#Obi_Mikel_for_APOTY.

Whats hating got to do with anything? Am Chelsea fan even before Babayaro was bought but I see Mikel live at Stanford bridge, at Chelsea Mikel does the safe things while Yaya Toure does the extra ordinary things for Man City.

safarigirl: no mind am, dem boku for here, the Naija haters, even if Enyeama broke the European record, they would still take Yaya. My own sef has to do with why they omitted Enyeama and put Drogba instead, cuz Enyeama deserved this ish more than anyone else on that top 3- yes, including Yeye, abi is it because your colonial masters are hyping him? Doesn't matter who they choose, the shiit is a set-up anyways. Enyeama is the REAL APoTY

What record? he was close to beating the French record not the European, you need to get your facts, all the African Managers and Captain voted this means they don't rate Enyeama! The award is not for half a season or Eleven games, look am not here to insult anyone including you, if you couldn't handle a conversation without insulting people who doesn't agree with your opinion then you better stop commenting

chiefololade:
So on what basis do you think Yaya is better than Mikel?

Well, even Jose Mourinho said Yaya Toure is the monster in the midfield we need to stop, this was before the game Chelsea v City game, even a blind man could see that Yaya Toure is one of the best midfielders in the world. Mikel plays safe!!! yes for Nigeria he is exceptional but how many Nigerian games does he play in a calender year? 10 12 15? compared to around 50 to 70 games for their clubs
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by omar22(m): 9:05am On Jan 02, 2014
pickabeau1:

(not) Using the katongo example is a no-brainer, He did not do well in the club...

That year 2012 was even bad for me as DD should have won...

Yahya won the league with man city while DD won the double - FA Cup + UCL yet they gave it to yaya

Mikel was instrumental in benitez's team last year and they won honours.. yaya won nothing...

This year he(yaya) has been immense for city... so no brainer

In 2012 DD was rested for most games so that he could play European games in the league he was very poor and yes we won the FA Cup but as they say the league is your bread and butter, and in May Drogba went to China. Chelsea winning the Europa Cup had nothing to do with Mikel, apart from the one man show Victor Moses did against Rubin Kazan in the qf and majority of Torres goals were in the Europa and Mikel didnt play in the final
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by safarigirl(f): 10:27am On Jan 02, 2014
omar22:

Whats hating got to do with anything? Am Chelsea fan even before Babayaro was bought but I see Mikel live at Stanford bridge, at Chelsea Mikel does the safe things while Yaya Toure does the extra ordinary things for Man City.

What record? he was close to beating the French record not the European, you need to get your facts, all the African Managers and Captain voted this means they don't rate Enyeama! The award is not for half a season or Eleven games, look am not here to insult anyone including you, if you couldn't handle a conversation without insulting people who doesn't agree with your opinion then you better stop commenting

Well, even Jose Mourinho said Yaya Toure is the monster in the midfield we need to stop, this was before the game Chelsea v City game, even a blind man could see that Yaya Toure is one of the best midfielders in the world. Mikel plays safe!!! yes for Nigeria he is exceptional but how many Nigerian games does he play in a calender year? 10 12 15? compared to around 50 to 70 games for their clubs
first off, I never said he was close to breaking an European record, I said even IF he had broken...those 2 sentences are far from related. Secondly, since I didn't see anyone voting, I can't take anyone's word for it, or were you there when this voting took place or during the counting of votes? Are you their spokesperson? For all I know, it's all fixed, so don't give me that 'coaches and captains voted' line. No be today CAF start to dey yeye Naija. I repeat ENYEAMA deserved that third spot over Didier 'diving' Drogba or is it because Gala and La casera are in UCL? Or cuz Lille is not an EPL team? The awards is crap abeg
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by pickabeau1: 10:57am On Jan 02, 2014
Cool... However yayha no win anything this year.. They even lost in the facup final

omar22:

In 2012 DD was rested for most games so that he could play European games in the league he was very poor and yes we won the FA Cup but as they say the league is your bread and butter, and in May Drogba went to China. Chelsea winning the Europa Cup had nothing to do with Mikel, apart from the one man show Victor Moses did against Rubin Kazan in the qf and majority of Torres goals were in the Europa and Mikel didnt play in the final
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by phrezzz: 10:59am On Jan 02, 2014
The only reason why Yaya Toure won CAF AFOTY2012 was because he got into the afcon final and lost on penalties and was excellent for club and country. On the other hand, Mikel obi who reached the afcon 2013 and was intrumental. Outclassed yaya toure in the quarter finals and gave an assist for emenike's goal has been class. Being a defensive mildfieder doesn't allow him attack. Just like toure in barca. Drogba single handedly won chelsea the champions league in 2012 and was on form for chelsea but he didnt win the award. It all boils down to voting and not form.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by creazor(m): 11:23am On Jan 02, 2014
Enyeama would have been a better option for the award.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by striker9(m): 11:58am On Jan 02, 2014
Hayatou can give it to anyone,na him sabi.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by striker9(m): 12:21pm On Jan 02, 2014
safarigirl: first off, I never said he was close to breaking an European record, I said even IF he had broken...those 2 sentences are far from related. Secondly, since I didn't see anyone voting, I can't take anyone's word for it, or were you there when this voting took place or during the counting of votes? Are you their spokesperson? For all I know, it's all fixed, so don't give me that 'coaches and captains voted' line. No be today CAF start to dey yeye Naija. I repeat ENYEAMA deserved that third spot over Didier 'diving' Drogba or is it because Gala and La casera are in UCL? Or cuz Lille is not an EPL team? The awards is crap abeg
2013 was a good year for naija players,which the likes of Emenike,Mikel and Enyeama were outstanding.Enyeama deserve the 3rd spot,he was outstanding for club and country in 2013.I don't know what with some nairalanders,maybe they are trying to look intelligent thereby appear dumb to me,cause only a naïve person will justify Enyeama's omission from the top 3.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by omar22(m): 12:23pm On Jan 02, 2014
safarigirl: first off, I never said he was close to breaking an European record, I said even IF he had broken...those 2 sentences are far from related. Secondly, since I didn't see anyone voting, I can't take anyone's word for it, or were you there when this voting took place or during the counting of votes? Are you their spokesperson? For all I know, it's all fixed, so don't give me that 'coaches and captains voted' line. No be today CAF start to dey yeye Naija. I repeat ENYEAMA deserved that third spot over Didier 'diving' Drogba or is it because Gala and La casera are in UCL? Or cuz Lille is not an EPL team? The awards is crap abeg

Oh gosh, can people comment without getting emotional and sounding bitter! Abi when Yekini, Emmunike and Ikpeba and Kanu picked up the award oh it wasnt a fix then

phrezzz: The only reason why Yaya Toure won CAF AFOTY2012 was because he got into the afcon final and lost on penalties and was excellent for club and country. On the other hand, Mikel obi who reached the afcon 2013 and was intrumental. Outclassed yaya toure in the quarter finals and gave an assist for emenike's goal has been class. Being a defensive mildfieder doesn't allow him attack. Just like toure in barca. Drogba single handedly won chelsea the champions league in 2012 and was on form for chelsea but he didnt win the award. It all boils down to voting and not form.

People voted for him, and he helped City to their first title

Bolded: So since both Messi and Ronaldo didnt the Champions League so who should the Ballon D'or

Its an award for the best individual performance in a calender year, its not the best team award

All the individual honours at the 2010 world cup went to players who didn't play for the champions Spain

phrezzz: Mikel Outclassed yaya toure in the quarter finals and gave an assist for emenike's goal has been class.

That's one game back in January.... In the same year Yaya Toure has outclassed Mikel 3 times
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by Obinoscopy(m): 1:13pm On Jan 02, 2014
Jarus: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013
Is this a prophesy or a statement of fact? sad
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by omar22(m): 1:18pm On Jan 02, 2014
Obinoscopy: Is this a prophesy or a statement of fact? sad

Still speculation, they haven't chosen a winner yet anyone could still win it
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by Obinoscopy(m): 1:30pm On Jan 02, 2014
omar22:

Still speculation, they haven't chosen a winner yet anyone could still win it
Geee, thanks. Jarus, stop being pessimistic angry. Mikel is our boy. It doesn't hurt to be sentimental atimes grin
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by Nobody: 1:41pm On Jan 02, 2014
LOL at those saying Mikel is better than Yaya Toure.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by Deiok(m): 1:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
OP youare not caf, so just wait and watch.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by naijanoni(m): 1:59pm On Jan 02, 2014
I have no problem with yaya.
My only problem is why drogba was nominated ??.
Can someone tell me how drogba performed better than any of these players last year :-Emenike,Enyeama,Kwadwo Asamoah;Aubameyang ??.

Someone said its becos he won the turkish league.
Like really ??
Turkish league is rated 11th in europe(not even among d best 10 leagues).
Since it is African POTY award,should d Turkish league trophy be considered over d African afcon trophy(emenike,enyeama,moses) ?
If winning d turkish league made drogba get nominated,then Ahmed musa who won the russian league(A far better league and rated 7th in europe) should have made d final 3.
Cos Ahmed musa contributed 11goals and lots of assists to CSKA Moscow winning d Russian league.
Drogba contributed ONLY 5 goals to galatasaray winning d Turkish league.

Someone said its becos of his performance in champions league(last season and dis season).
Like really ??.
Scoring only 1 goal in d champions league last season is good enough ??.
Or scoring two goals in d champions league this season??.
There was nothing fantastic about his champions league performance to make him deserve to be in d final 3.
If drogba was nominated becos of champions league,then these 2 ghanaians:-Kwadwo asamoah and Prince Boateng should've made d top 3,becos IMO they performed better than drogba in d UCL this year.

National team performance:-Was nothing to write home about.

Talking about total goals scored for both Club and Country Last year.
Drogba didnt score up to Aubameyang and Emenike last year.
His goal/per game ratio for galatasaray last year wasn't even good enough.
So can somebody Pls tell me how drogba deserves to be in d final 3 ahead of aubameyang,emenike,enyeama,Kwadwo Asamoah ?
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by striker9(m): 2:20pm On Jan 02, 2014
naija noni: I have no problem with yaya.
Can someone tell me how drogba performed better than any of these players last year :-Emenike,Enyeama,Kwadwo Asamoah;Aubameyang ??.

Someone said its becos he won the turkish league.
Like really ??
Turkish league is rated 11th in europe(not even among d best 10 leagues).
Since it is African POTY award,should d Turkish league trophy be considered over d African afcon trophy ?
If winning d turkish league made drogba get nominated,then Ahmed musa who won the russian league(A far better league and rated 7th in europe) should have made d final 3.
Cos Ahmed musa contributed 11goals and lots of assists to CSKA Moscow winning d Russian league.

Someone said its becos of his performance in champions league(last season and dis season).
Like really ??.
Scoring only 1 goal in d champions league last season is good enough ??.
Or scoring two goals in d champions league this season??.
There was nothing fantastic about his champions league performance to make him deserve to be in d final 3.
If drogba was nominated becos of champions league,then these 2 ghanaians:-Kwadwo asamoah and Prince Boateng should've made d top 3,becos IMO they performed better than drogba in d UCL this year.

National team performance:-Was nothing to write home about.

Talking about total goals scored for both Club and Country Last year.
His goal/per game ratio for galatasaray last year wasn't even good enough.
So can somebody Pls tell me how drogba deserves to be in d final 3 ahead of aubameyang,emenike,enyeama,Kwadwo Asamoah ?
Thanks a million,Drogba has got no business in the final 3,I think I agree with Safarigirl when she said APOTY nomination is being partial,I'm not saying anyone is better than Yaya o,before some people start to dey yarn dust.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by omar22(m): 2:34pm On Jan 02, 2014
naija noni: I have no problem with yaya.

?

Asamoah!!!! are U serious!!!

Can you be logical here with your argument, Drogba scored 5 goals last season, so how many has he scored this season? (7)

And when has the AFCON played a part in who wins the APOTY? all of a sudden we want the rules to be changed just to favour us, Abedi Pele and George Weah won it 3 times each I cant remember them Winning the Nations cup at the time. I dont agree that Drogba should be on the final 3 nominees but we didnt vote the managers and captains did.

Do its about goals now
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by naijanoni(m): 3:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
omar22:

:
For saying that,You dont watch d SERIE A.
I guess u are underrating him becos he plays as a LB/LWB.
I can say it LOUD that Kwadwo Asamoah performed better than drogba last year.
Asamoah was a very very key player for juve.Was very Key to them winning the SERIE A last season.Juventus was d best club in d Serie A(4th best league in europe),turkish league(11th in europe).
He also played really well in d champions league both last season and dis season.

omar22:
Can you be logical here with your argument, Drogba scored 5 goals last season, so how many has he scored this season? (7)
Emenike has scored more and has assisted more in d same turkish league this season(Fenerbahce topping d league and 8 points ahead of drogba's galatasaray).
Emenike also scored more last season.
Aubameyang also scored far more.
National team performance,emenike murdered drogba in everything.

These are strikers like drogba.
Goals/assists are what matters most for strikers.

omar22:
And when has the AFCON played a part in who wins the APOTY? all of a sudden we want the rules to be changed just to favour us, Abedi Pele and George Weah won it 3 times each I cant remember them Winning the Nations cup at the time.

Read my post again.
I was only comparing things.
Someone who commented on brila fm's post on facebook said drogba deserved to be in top 3 becos he won d turkish league.
I only compared the afcon trophy to the trophy of an AVERAGE turkish league rated 11th in europe.
If he won d SERIE A,EPL,La Liga,Ligue 1 or even Portuguese league,that would be more reasonable.
But turkish league trophy over afcon trophy ??

omar22:
Do its about goals now

Drogba is a striker and so are aubameyang and emenike.
What is used to rate performance of strikers ??.
Goals/Assists.

Play very well without scoring much/assisting much,you wouldn't be rated.
E.g:-Torres.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by naijanoni(m): 3:25pm On Jan 02, 2014
omar22:

:
For saying that,You dont watch d SERIE A.
I guess u are underrating him becos he plays as a LB/LWB.
I can say it LOUD that Kwadwo Asamoah performed better than drogba last year.
Asamoah was a very very key player for juve.Was very Key to them winning the SERIE A last season.Juventus was d best club in d Serie A(4th best league in europe),turkish league(11th in europe).
He also played really well in d champions league both last season and dis season.

omar22:
Emenike has scored more and has assisted more in d same turkish league this season(Fenerbahce topping d league and 8 points ahead of drogba's galatasaray).
Emenike also scored more last season.
Aubameyang also scored far more.
National team performance,emenike murdered drogba in everything.

These are strikers like drogba.
Goals/assists are what matters most for strikers.

omar22:
And when has the AFCON played a part in who wins the APOTY? all of a sudden we want the rules to be changed just to favour us, Abedi Pele and George Weah won it 3 times each I cant remember them Winning the Nations cup at the time.

Read my post again.
I was only comparing things.
Someone who commented on brila fm's post on facebook said drogba deserved to be in top 3 becos he won d turkish league.
I only compared the afcon trophy to the trophy of an AVERAGE turkish league rated 11th in europe.
If he won d SERIE A,EPL,La Liga,Ligue 1 or even Portuguese league,that would be more reasonable.
But turkish league trophy over afcon trophy ??

omar22:
Do its about goals now

Drogba is a striker and so are aubameyang and emenike.
What is used to rate performance of strikers ??.
Goals/Assists.

Play very well without scoring much/assisting much,you wouldn't be rated.
E.g:-Torres.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by naijanoni(m): 3:40pm On Jan 02, 2014
omar22:

I dont agree that Drogba should be on the final 3 nominees but we didnt vote the managers and captains did.

Missed this.
That was all i wanted to hear.
Shikena !!!!!.

Though i don't trust d so-called voting.
Drogba's NAME is what got him there,not his performance.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by omar22(m): 4:28pm On Jan 02, 2014
naija noni:

Sorry I thought you were talking of Gyan Asamoah and I didnt agree with Drogba's name on the list and as a Chelsea fans who attends SB, I didn't support Mikel, I will have supported Moses over Mikel or even Enyeama who has had a brilliant 12 months Mikel blows too much hot and cold to be considered, but hey he could win it,
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by mrmofasa(m): 12:40pm On Jan 04, 2014
Jarus: An unfortunate year for Mikel. His best will not be enough. The difference is too glaring. Yaya is something else. Like Katongo not winning despite great nations cup performance in 2012, Mikel too will lose to Yaya, despite performing better in AfCon 2013, but paled into invisibility thereafter while Yaya shone. Let's wake up to this reality now before the announcement on January 9. It is a fait accompli. other countries will not vote for Mikel, no sentiments here.
Thank you Jarus, for echoing my thoughts. Though another school of thought (my uncle) says that sentimental voting may tip Mikel to the crown. In terms of performance, Mikel is not worthy.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by Jarus(m): 4:45pm On Jan 04, 2014
mrmofasa: Thank you Jarus, for echoing my thoughts. Though another school of thought (my uncle) says that sentimental voting may tip Mikel to the crown. In terms of performance, Mikel is not worthy.
sentimental votes by who? Nigeria has only 2 votes: Keshi and Yobo. Other African countriesno dey look Uche face.
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by mrmofasa(m): 7:27pm On Jan 05, 2014
Jarus: sentimental votes by who? Nigeria has only 2 votes: Keshi and Yobo. Other African countriesno dey look Uche face.
But. . . suppose on the 9th ofJan, Mikel gets the award?
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by Jarus(m): 5:15pm On Jan 06, 2014
mrmofasa: But. . . suppose on the 9th ofJan, Mikel gets the award?

I will deactivate my Nairaland ID
Re: Yaya Toure Is African Footballer Of The Year 2013 by saintneo(m): 5:29pm On Jan 06, 2014
Jarus:

I will deactivate my Nairaland ID
less than 3 days

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Who Will You Say Is The Greatest Boxer Of All Time? / 4 Famous Footballers Who Went Bankrupt(Photos) / Top 10 Reasons Why Girls Should Watch The World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.