Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,873 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:26 PM

How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? (1617 Views)

Why It Is Offensive To Give/Receive With Your Left Hand? / Approaching A Stranger In Your Native Dialect, How Wrong Is It? / Is It Rude To Shake With Your Left Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? by Solvik(f): 11:40am On Jan 03, 2014
Is it wrong to give or receive something with your left hand? If yes, how about the southpaws (lefties) what's their fate?
Re: How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? by bigfrancis21: 1:51pm On Jan 03, 2014
I see totally nothing wrong with that. Both hands were given to you for usage. When then make 1 less equal than the other? Or subjugate it to the other because of some beliefs held by our forefathers back in the dark ages? Asides the cultural beliefs, there are no scientific, religious or technological restrictions to the usage of left hand. The culture should be done away with. It serves no purpose.

I'm right-handed when writing but in so many circumstances I am ambidextrous - typing, washing, cooking, eating et cetera. And in certain situations I use my left hand only such as lifting heavy objects. My left arm is stronger than my right and can last longer when carrying objects so I use my left hand mostly to lift and drop objects from the ground.

I would love to see the Nigerian cultural belief of being against left hand usage done away with. It serves no purpose.
Re: How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? by Solvik(f): 5:17pm On Jan 03, 2014
Thanks
Re: How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? by macof(m): 2:47pm On Jan 04, 2014
In Yoruba tradition it's wrong to give or receive with left hand- I don't know why but That's how it is
Re: How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? by Solvik(f): 9:36pm On Jan 04, 2014
@macof its N̶̲̥̅̊oτ̣̣̥ a yoruba thing, Ȋ̝̊̅̄ think every tribe except F̶̲̥̅̊or D̶̲̥̅̊ Hausas
Re: How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? by kemiola89(f): 10:38am On Jan 05, 2014
^^^ i think it is common among the yoruba folks. According to 'em it is disrespectful to use the left hand when receiving or giving. I'd like to know the story behind it.

1 Like

Re: How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? by GeeOh(f): 1:19pm On Jan 05, 2014
i dont think its wrong or right,use which ever u are confortable with
Re: How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? by macof(m): 1:42pm On Jan 05, 2014
kemiola89: ^^^ i think it is common among the yoruba folks. According to 'em it is disrespectful to use the left hand when receiving or giving. I'd like to know the story behind it.

True there could be a story to it, cause it's a well implemented tradition.
Re: How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? by scochia(m): 7:20pm On Jan 07, 2014
In my childhood there was a practice in some Irish National Schools of forcing left handed children to use their right. This practice only existed in Schools controlled by Catholic Religion.I do not know exactly where it started but it had it's roots in fear of difference.

(1) (Reply)

Newly Crowned Ooni Of Ife As NYSC Member ( Throwback Photo ) / African Traditional Baby Carriers / If You Were Asked To Change Tribe, What Tribe Would You Rather Be?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.