Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,186 members, 7,953,666 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 10:16 PM

Approaching A Stranger In Your Native Dialect, How Wrong Is It? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Approaching A Stranger In Your Native Dialect, How Wrong Is It? (1115 Views)

Please,what Do You Call This Insect In Your Native Dialect Or Language? / Igbos In Spain Attend Their Village Meeting In Native Attires (Photo) / How Wrong Is It To Give Or Receive Something With Your Left Hand? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Approaching A Stranger In Your Native Dialect, How Wrong Is It? by aboyaji(m): 9:50pm On Oct 29, 2014
i went to our local government to pick a form, on reaching, it was very early as nobody was there except a man in a car-at the drivers side- he just brought one of his legs out and was playing music.I approached him and greeted at once. Then asked him one question in my dialect as that was in the village.
The man sparked up, asking why i should introduce a native dialect to a stranger, that what if he wasn't from there, and so on.

I thought he was just a driver from the way he sat and everything. Not until he sparked.

How bad was my initial action?
Re: Approaching A Stranger In Your Native Dialect, How Wrong Is It? by jacabi(m): 10:05pm On Oct 29, 2014
Well, to me I didn't see anything wrong in that. It's his responsibility to tell you that he didn't understand your language or dialet. What if that's the only language you can communicate with?
Re: Approaching A Stranger In Your Native Dialect, How Wrong Is It? by Beesluv: 10:07pm On Oct 29, 2014
Maybe the man was in a bad mood.
I prefer approaching strangers in English, then their response will lead me to what lang to use subsequently
Re: Approaching A Stranger In Your Native Dialect, How Wrong Is It? by menix(m): 10:37pm On Oct 29, 2014
If I culd b in dat man's mood I will join d spark wiv slap..
I get dat a lot here in lagos nd am lik watz wrong wiv dis maggot, do I look oilish..
Buh as a sabii boii, I started replyin wiv my own native language.
So no b persin go tell u say u yarn d wrong language 2 d wrong person..
Re: Approaching A Stranger In Your Native Dialect, How Wrong Is It? by Nobody: 5:02am On Oct 30, 2014
menix:
If I culd b in dat man's mood I will join d spark wiv slap..
I get dat a lot here in lagos nd am lik watz wrong wiv dis maggot, do I look oilish..
Buh as a sabii boii, I started replyin wiv my own native language.
So no b persin go tell u say u yarn d wrong language 2 d wrong person..
you be mumu .... If you slap someone like me for blowing my language to you , I will plank your silly head real bad without you seeing it coming ....

I'm in WAZOBIA and in any wazobia environment english is the ideal language until you discover both of you are from same ethnic/tribe and I will speak confirmed ijinle/dialectic yoruba to you ...... The Op was in his village ....I won't be in my 'village' and speak english to stranger else my people will feel offended.... If you don't sabi the language just tell such person to speak english that you aint from 'here' no need to go gaga .... The stranger was wrong Op was right !!

1 Like

Re: Approaching A Stranger In Your Native Dialect, How Wrong Is It? by menix(m): 7:08am On Oct 30, 2014
donroxy:
you be mumu .... If you slap someone like me for blowing my language to you , I will plank your silly head real bad without you seeing it coming ....

I'm in WAZOBIA and in any wazobia environment english is the ideal language until you discover both of you are from same ethnic/tribe and I will speak confirmed ijinle/dialectic yoruba to you ...... The Op was in his village ....I won't be in my 'village' and speak english to stranger else my people will feel offended.... If you don't sabi the language just tell such person to speak english that you aint from 'here' no need to go gaga .... The stranger was wrong Op was right !!

Na d person wey born u b mumu..
Re: Approaching A Stranger In Your Native Dialect, How Wrong Is It? by Nobody: 7:25am On Oct 30, 2014
menix:

Na d person wey born u b mumu..
grin ahahaha ... Ok now !

(1) (Reply)

I Need Meaningful Insights / Can You Guess Which Part Of Nigeia This Man Is From? [PHOTO] / White Guy Says He Loves Black Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.