Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,655 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:54 PM

Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective (19318 Views)

Why Did India Get Banned From Football World Cup? / My Forecast For Ghana/nigeria Lotto 5/90 Games From 20-23 Jan. 2013 / Prediction: Ghana, Nigeria Will Win World Cup (Prophet) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Shadams(m): 4:40pm On Jan 06, 2014
When Ghana’s Michael Essien was substituted yesterday, January 05, 2014, during the third rounds of an English FA Cup match between Derby and Chelsea, it was to Nigeria’s Mikel Obi he handed over the captain’s band.

The Special one later said he had expected the Ghanaian to pass on the leadership mantle to left-back, Ashly Cole, but Essien probably had other things in his mind. Essien’s action gestures towards another instance of the comradely possibilities which can exist between Nigeria and Ghana, despite growing subtle political and economic rivalry. Besides African literature that evince the criticality of sharedness and brotherly solidarity between the two West African countries, the match showed again that individuals and nations can be friends despite differences.

Football fans recall the 2009 Champions league semi-final against Barca, in which Essien, having scored a long-range goal, evaded all his team mates on the pitch and ran to the Chelsea bench to hug Mikel, who had predicted before match start that Essien would score a goal. Such solidarity, on and off the pitch, has been consistent with many black players in the EPL. The Ghana-must-go saga of the 80s may still be fresh among a generation of our West African neighbours, yet this cannot be a justification of continued hostility towards Nigerians in Kumasi or Accra; neither should we continue to condone the many insalubrious tensions between some Nigerians and naive Ghanaians on many internet forums.

Calling ourselves names and not facing the unnecessary possibility of enmity between us is not good enough. There are many Nigerians in Ghana, and they have found a home there. Some even report experiencing more love from Ghanaians than from their Nigerian legion there. Similarly, there are in Nigeria citizens from Ghana whom some of us love, and are proud to call friends. This should continue. The emergence of Ghana as an economic powerhouse in West Africa should be a pride to Nigeria, and other countries in the region.

As it stands now, Mourinho prefers Mikel to Essien in the Chelsea first eleven, and even when many coaches have come and gone in the team, Mikel, unlike Essien, has commanded a consistent presence in the starting eleven. This has not soiled their friendship. Africans have more reasons to be united than to be envious of one another. The Nigeria-Kenya internet squabble of last year was not needful. If the colonial project sowed seeds of discord many years ago, we cannot continue to water them with the acidic liquids of rivalry.

South Sudan and Central African Republic may be far from us, but we have brothers and sisters there who are currently being ravished by ruthless sympathies of the gun. It is time to say a prayer, and remember friendship. And dialogue!

33 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by taiocol: 4:52pm On Jan 06, 2014
4get those e-war btw ghana nd 9ja we knw its just 4 fun. 9ja nd uruguay lyk 5nd6
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Nobody: 4:58pm On Jan 06, 2014
Hmmmm. . .
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by dapsoneh: 7:53pm On Jan 06, 2014
M
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Jiggaman101: 7:53pm On Jan 06, 2014
Let's see how many pages this thread gets. Both Nigerians and Ghanaians love those e wars. Reality is we are the closest two african countries but if read some of these threads you will think we are enemies. Luv my Nigerian bros and luv to poke fun at them.

5 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Nobody: 7:55pm On Jan 06, 2014
We r like two brodas who for obvious reasons like to fight wit each other all d time

2 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by smile4kenn(m): 7:55pm On Jan 06, 2014
Coughing

2 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 06, 2014
My husband is a ghanian...

5 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by jmoore(m): 7:56pm On Jan 06, 2014
Essien no be calabar boy?

#Justasking

4 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by premlove(m): 7:57pm On Jan 06, 2014
Good write up bt NIGERiA is still beta than GHANA in football

4 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by ZEN(m): 7:59pm On Jan 06, 2014
OP a jug of Asaana and a bowl of Banku to you.

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Jarus(m): 7:59pm On Jan 06, 2014
Essien is a great guy. Majority of Ghanaian football followers are not. I remember jsut before the final of the 2008 olympics between Nigeria and Argentina, where one Ghanaian user on Ghanaweb said he would commit suicide if Nigeria won. Since that day, I stopped supproting Ghana in any competition. I supported Uruguay against then in SA 2010.

8 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by paranorman(m): 8:01pm On Jan 06, 2014
Cool.. But we Nigerians need to love ourselves first, den our relationship with other african countries would definitely improve..

3 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Alikaxon(m): 8:02pm On Jan 06, 2014
Abeg guys, show love to me and check out this THIS WEBSITE
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jan 06, 2014
prem love: Good write up bt NIGERiA is still beta than GHANA in football

Did u read the Write Up at all.. Who is asking about the better 1 here..

We are talking about Harmony, Love, Peace and Progress Here..

7 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by donblade85: 8:03pm On Jan 06, 2014
Gud 1
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by donblade85: 8:04pm On Jan 06, 2014
I like it
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Blueeyedboi(m): 8:04pm On Jan 06, 2014
martha: My husband is a ghanian...
undecided undecided

3 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by ichidodo: 8:06pm On Jan 06, 2014
I Love Ghana
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jan 06, 2014
Good write up.

We had a neighbour who was Ghanian. He relocated and came back 5yrs later with his wife and child. Just to show my parents and let his wife see those people who were very nice to him. He believes Nigerians are kind.

It's just myopic people that hate. I don't do hate. I just click the ignore button

4 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by otijah(m): 8:07pm On Jan 06, 2014
Its nigeria or ghana to lift d trophy
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by bunmioguns(m): 8:07pm On Jan 06, 2014
feeling like Essien and Mikel tonight cheesy
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jan 06, 2014
One love.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 06, 2014
Cool! now dat we've found a common ground, can someone please rub me some charcoal? grin *black & proud*

2 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jan 06, 2014
cryWhy are Ghanaians claiming to be greater than Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Purist(m): 8:09pm On Jan 06, 2014
Jarus: Essien is a great guy. Majority of Ghanaian football followers are not. I remember jsut before the final of the 2008 olympics between Nigeria and Argentina, where one Ghanaian user on Ghanaweb said he would commit suicide if Nigeria won. Since that day, I stopped supproting Ghana in any competition. I supported Uruguay against then in SA 2010.

You stopped supporting Ghana because of ONE comment made by some random anonymous user? And how exactly does your singular experience translate to the 'majority'?

7 Likes

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by MyX1: 8:09pm On Jan 06, 2014
Even though we fight e-war we dnt really hate one another, Nigerians really love our Ghananian Brothers. 1 LOVE AFRICA!

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by rasakiwaheed: 8:11pm On Jan 06, 2014
For some of us that wrote w a e c around 1988 cannot forget ghananians all our phy chem bio and math teachers are ghananians .we are brothers no matter what.
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by AjaoMT2: 8:12pm On Jan 06, 2014
Good write-up. I always support Ghana. The only time I don't do so is when they are playing Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Mpetempe(m): 8:12pm On Jan 06, 2014
Love is the key.

1 Like

Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by cannonnier(m): 8:12pm On Jan 06, 2014
ZEN: OP a jug of Asaana and a bowl of Banku to you.
yes!

GO NIGERIA
GO GHANA
Re: Ghana-Nigeria Relations: Thoughts From Football Perspective by Jarus(m): 8:13pm On Jan 06, 2014
Purist:

You stopped supporting Ghana because of ONE comment made by some random anonymous user? And how exactly does your singular experience translate to the 'majority'?

That was just the height. I have been a member of Ghanaweb long enough (for about 6 years now) to know the level of general hatred.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Violence During/after Etoile Vs Enyimba Game. Story By Enyimba's Media Officer / Suarez Scores As Barcelona Win Relegates Espanyol From La Liga / Some Argentines Arrested For Trafficking Drugs In Fake World Cup Trophies.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.