Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,751 members, 7,809,871 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:24 PM

Does James Teach Salvation By Works? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does James Teach Salvation By Works? (729 Views)

Is Salvation By Faith Alone Or By Faith Plus Works, Is It Even By Faith At All? / Not By Works, But By Grace / There Is No Salvation By Faith Without Works--femi Aribisala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does James Teach Salvation By Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:50pm On Jan 07, 2014
Does James teach salvation by works?

Critics of the Bible have long argued that the book of James contradicts the rest of Scripture in teaching "that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone" (James 2:24). Upon closer examination, however, the book of James, like the rest of Scripture, confirms that we are saved not by what we do but by what Jesus Christ has done.

First, in context James teaches that we are saved not by works but by the kind of faith that produces good works. As James puts it, "What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him?" (2:14). The answer is "no." "As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead" (v. 26).

Furthermore, when James says a person is not justified by faith alone, he means that a person is not justified by mental assent alone. As such, he says, "Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that––and shudder" (vv. 18–19). In other words, demons believe in the sense of giving mental assent to the fact that there is only one true God, all the while failing to place their hope and trust in him.

Finally, while James says "a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone" and Paul says "man is justified by faith apart from observing the law" (Romans 3:28), their words are in complete harmony. James is countering the false assertion that a said faith is a substitute for a saving faith, while Paul is countering the equally fallacious notion that salvation can be earned by observing the law. As the Reformers were wont to say, "Justification is by faith alone, but not by a faith that is alone."

--Hank Hanegraaff | The Complete Bible Answer Book

For further study, see R. C. Sproul, Faith Alone (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books, 1999). http://www.equip.org/bookstore/books/faith-alone-the-evangelical-doctrine-of-justification/

"Was not our ancestor Abraham considered righteous
for what he did when he offered his son Isaac
on the altar? You see that his faith and his actions
were working together, and his faith
was made complete by what he did
"
(James 2:21–22).
Re: Does James Teach Salvation By Works? by stacomaster(m): 4:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
Re: Does James Teach Salvation By Works? by Adeebiwa09(m): 9:06pm On Jan 07, 2014
Back to comment
Re: Does James Teach Salvation By Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:29pm On Jan 08, 2014
Does James teach salvation by works?

Re: Does James Teach Salvation By Works? by eefosa: 3:58pm On Jan 08, 2014
Good day. Very interesting topic and a good writeup too. I have a little contribution that might help better understanding.
Firstly James the Apostle was a very dovoted man of God and also was a prominent leader in the early church. He walked and worked with the Lord while He was physically here on earth and it is also believed historically that James who wrote the book of James was a biological brother of Jesus just like John the Beloved. So he had full knowledge of the person of Jesus Christ and his finished work of Salvation through his death and ressurection.
Now to the issue raised. Paul in most of his writings especially in the book of Galatians emphasized faith in Jesus as the only means to recieving Salvation and righteousness. He openly condemned trying to achieve righteousness and salvation through the keeping of the law. Pauls emphasis was always on staying in Faith and not trying to achieve what God has made avialable to us believers by keeping the law of Moses.

On the other hand James was saying that our faith in Jesus is expected to have outward manisfestation in good works.

So i believe they were addressing two different issues.
Thats my little contribution.
Re: Does James Teach Salvation By Works? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jan 08, 2014
eefosa: Paul in most of his writings especially in the book of Galatians emphasized faith in Jesus as the only means to recieving Salvation and righteousness. He openly condemned trying to achieve righteousness and salvation through the keeping of the law. Pauls emphasis was always on staying in Faith and not trying to achieve what God has made avialable to us believers by keeping the law of Moses.

On the other hand James was saying that our faith in Jesus is expected to have outward manisfestation in good works.

So i believe they were addressing two different issues.
Thats my little contribution.
I believe this bible quotation about good works by Paul balances everything.

Ephesians 2:10 - For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

2 Timothy 3:17 - That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

Titus 1:16 - They profess that they know God; but in works they deny [him], being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.

Titus 2:14 - Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.

Hebrews 6:10 - For God [is] not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
Re: Does James Teach Salvation By Works? by Adeebiwa09(m): 6:44pm On Jan 08, 2014
No, he was talking there about faith without work. Ofcourse, salvation is by faith in God's saving Grace, but after this is dne u must:

1. Continual rest of that grace to please hm.

2. Work to 'draw near to him', 'work out ur salvatn wt fear and trembling' thus the importance of consistent bible study, prayer, fastin, felowshp n comunion wt God.

3. And continue to have faith that u r saved, a son of God, an heir wt Christ and heaven bound.
Re: Does James Teach Salvation By Works? by eefosa: 7:43pm On Jan 08, 2014
Thank You Bidam for the scriptural references God bless you richly. Have a great evening.
Re: Does James Teach Salvation By Works? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:18pm On Jan 08, 2014
James teaches that we are saved not by works but by the kind of faith that produces good works.

"Even so faith, if it has not works, is dead, being alone" (James 2:17 The Evidence Bible).

Let's consider two types of faith. It was reported that a Christian farmer in western Kansas felt sure that God spoke to him to give his $40,000 hail insurance to missions. So, in faith he gave the money, trusting that God would protect his crop. Sure enough, the hail came and severely damaged all his neighbours crops, but not his.

The other case was a well known story about a brilliant tightrope artist named Blondin, who pushed a wheelbarrow across Niagara Falls. After he had walked to the other side, the crowd roared with applause at his amazing feat.

He asked a small boy in the crowd if he believed that Blondin could walk back. The boy said, Yes, sir! He then asked if the boy thought he could do it with him in the wheelbarrow. The boy said he believed he could do it, to which the famous tightrope walker said,

"Good! Jump in then and I will take you!" The boy would not get in. undecided

Now compare the faith of the farmer who was sure he heard from God that he was prepared to step out and the faith of the boy who wasn't prepared to step out, and get in. You see that many sincere folks have a measure of faith in Jesus, but they have never trusted in Him. In that sense, their faith, because it doesn't have works with it, is dead.

(1) (Reply)

The Crusade To TAKE BACK NIGERIA. / Muslims Are More Devoted When Praying Than Christians. / Bible Scholars Should Help Me Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.