Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,793 members, 7,817,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:33 AM

Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible (1039 Views)

Superstition, The Bane Of The Nigerian Mind / Traditionalcure, Spiritual Healing, Superstition, Voodoo, Magic, Facts / Why Christianity Is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible by huxley(m): 7:38pm On Aug 11, 2008
Christianity is one of the most absurd and ridiculous superstitions currently in existence across the entire globe. This religion started out a sect estranged form mainstream Judaism and inculcating ideas and mythologies from the Roman and pagan cults of the day. Even to the uncritical and uninitiated with a modicum of history education, it is pretty obvious that this superstitions borrowed and plagiarised most of its ideas from the other superstitions around its place of origin.

That it borrows from Judaism is obvious from the way it unashamedly picks and chooses various bits of the Judaic tradition. It basically picks the bits that advances its agendas and ignores the rest. Some Christians claim that there is a smooth transition from the Judaic regime into the regime led by Christ and that the Torah remains the foundational text on which the belief is based.

But on what basis do Christians pick and choose and ignore and reject various bits of the bible?

Consider the following cases:

1) The 10 Commandments

The 10C are given in several places in the bible - Exodus 20, Exodus 34, Deut 5. Most Christians routine ignore those given in Exodus 34 although these are really the commandments that should be in force given they were meant to replace those of Exodus 20.

2) The Law of the Sabbath.

Why is the Sabbath no longer observed? What is the basis for reject this century-old tradition/commandment. To think that god commandment people to be stoned to death for breaking this commandment means that this was really an important commandment. But why do Christians flout it?

3) The laws on stone recalcitrant children

In several places in the bible, recalcitrant children are to be made the subject of public stoning. Why are christians not observing this commandment?

4) The injunction on usury

The bible clearly puts a bar on lending money with interest. Why is this not observed?

5) The dietary, hygiene and cleanliness laws

These are mostly given in Leviticus. Why have these been sidelined?

What is the theological or spiritual basis for picking and choosing, a la carte style bits of the bible to suit ones agendas?
Re: Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible by mazaje(m): 7:42pm On Aug 11, 2008
Huxley militant yeeeh , abeg make you go rest, allow these people make them rest.
Re: Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible by PastorAIO: 9:17am On Aug 12, 2008
Is any thing in this world really mix and match like you say christianity is?  I don't think so.  I believe that forms arise naturally and evolve naturally according to a broader plan that God has.  But this takes us back to the Logos and the belief that there is a formal structure and a plan to the history of the world.  With this belief there is not such thing as random, and though random and chaotic might be the apparent case in fact this is only Apparent yet deeper down there is a Principle/Form at work. 

As regards keeping the commandments, yes, there are injunctions to stone recalcitrant children to death. Yet why don't parents do so?  Let me hazard a guess.  Because they love their Children?  I would think that that has something to do with it.  Love can be like that.  Even God is susceptible to it it seems.  Take for instance his law that the wages of sin is death.  Well we should all be dead now.  So what is all that with Grace, and redemption and whatnot.  What is forgiveness?  Now if God will apparently abrogate his own laws like that it follows that we might do the same. 

The law of the sabbath still stands.  Indeed all the laws still stand.  Yet they are not absolute.  And they can be superceded by Grace. 

When the law against usury was laid down people lived in small communities.  The only lending that was done was to neighbours for small things.  The time for undertaking grandiose projects on an international scale was many centuries away.  Not until the renaissance in Europe was any project undertaken that would require the large pools of capital that capitalism would provide. 
Capitalism was just inevitable in Europe because of the scale of it's ambitions by then.  These things arise naturally from the conditions.  For a start you had the Church based in Rome.  This was really and truly the world's first multinational.  The Church collected tithes from all across Christendom and it followed by necessity that such an international money collecting organisation would need the services of a structure such as international banking.  In those days carrying money around was suicidal but if before I travelled I could go and deposit some money in my local branch of an international bank who in return would give me a piece of paper with a 'promise to pay on demand' the same sum I deposited, then I could travel across europe with this piece of paper shoved up my arse and only bring it out when I arrive at the branch of my destination. 
In those days even, interest was not charged.  They had something called the Arte of Exchange.  somehow somehow sha, the bank managed to make a profit by manipulating the various exchange rates, so it was not direct usury as they were not charging interest.  Anyway, all this is Loooooong.  The point that I am trying to make is that systems and the laws that define them arise naturally out of the evolutionary flow of society.  So while Laws are important, they are not absolute.
Re: Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible by Tasma: 11:52am On Aug 13, 2008
Pastor AIO:

The point that I am trying to make is that systems and the laws that define them arise naturally out of the evolutionary flow of society. So while Laws are important, they are not absolute.

Right so the laws in the Bible are modified due to the evolutionary flow of society. So is it then a big leap to assume that the laws were chosen due to the prevailing societal norms at that time, and consequently that the Bible itself was the attempt of primitive men to understand God and explain nature and natural occurrences. If the Bible is studied that way it makes good sense especially if you combine that study with the study of ancient Jewish history. Why do modern day Christians still insist on finding convoluted arguments to make the Biblical stories seem directly applicable now?
Re: Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible by PastorAIO: 1:22pm On Aug 13, 2008
Tasma:

Right so the laws in the Bible are modified due to the evolutionary flow of society. So is it then a big leap to assume that the laws were chosen due to the prevailing societal norms at that time, and consequently that the Bible itself was the attempt of primitive men to understand God and explain nature and natural occurrences. If the Bible is studied that way it makes good sense especially if you combine that study with the study of ancient Jewish history. Why do modern day Christians still insist on finding convoluted arguments to make the Biblical stories seem directly applicable now?

I will need you to tell me one of these convoluted arguments in order to properly respond to you.
Re: Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible by huxley(m): 1:54pm On Aug 13, 2008
Pastor AIO:

I will need you to tell me one of these convoluted arguments in order to properly respond to you.

Where can one start? Ok,, take the story the creation event in Genesis 1 & 2. How many different divergent Christians explanation exist today to try and make the account consistent with scientific rationalism;

You have got;

Old-earth creation
Young-earth creation
day-age creation
theistic evolution
etc.
etc.
etc.

HAve a go at these first
Re: Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible by PastorAIO: 7:04pm On Aug 13, 2008
Tasma:

Right so the laws in the Bible are modified due to the evolutionary flow of society. [/b]So is it then a big leap to assume that the laws were chosen due to the prevailing societal norms at that time, and consequently that the Bible itself was the attempt of primitive men to understand God and explain nature and natural occurrences. If the Bible is studied that way it makes good sense especially if you combine that study with the study of ancient Jewish history. Why do modern day Christians still insist on finding convoluted arguments to make the Biblical stories seem directly applicable now?

Whoa! I've just realised something. I said laws and systems which is every law in the universe not necessarily just the moral laws and codes in the bible. These include scientific laws too such as the law of gravity. Gravity does not change due to the evolutionary flow of [b]society
(it might change with other influences and contexts) and neither does divine law. Yet there are laws that change as society changes. Other laws change with other (non societal) conditions and contexts.
Re: Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible by PastorAIO: 7:06pm On Aug 13, 2008
huxley:

Where can one start? Ok,, take the story the creation event in Genesis 1 & 2. How many different divergent Christians explanation exist today to try and make the account consistent with scientific rationalism;

You have got;

Old-earth creation
Young-earth creation
day-age creation
theistic evolution
etc.
etc.
etc.

HAve a go at these first

Please I'll need you to address other conversations that we've started and remain unfinished before I go on wasting my breath. Yes breath, because I need to breathe to get the oxygen to work these fingers that are typing. So fruitless typing is waste of breath.
Re: Christianity Is A Superstition Based On Picking & Choosing Bits From The Bible by Yisraylite(m): 10:45pm On Aug 16, 2008
Ecc 12:13   Here is the conclusion: Reverence YAHAWAH and obey HIS Commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. (Not just Hebrew, Moslem, Christian or Jew, but all mankind period!)

Yer 6:10 To whom shall I speak and give warning, That they may hear? Indeed their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot give heed. Behold, the LAW of YAHAWAH is a reproach to them; They have no delight in it

Yer 2:8  The priests said not, Where is YAHAWAH? and they that handle the law knew me not: the pastors also transgressed against me, and the prophets prophesied by Baal, and walked after [things that] do not profit

Still to come !

Isa 24:4   The earth mourns and fades away,the world languishes and fades away;The haughty people of the earth languish.

Isa 24:5   The earth is also defiled under its inhabitants,because they have transgressed the laws,
Changed the ordinance,broken the everlasting covenant.

Isa 24:6   Therefore the curse has devoured the earth,and those who dwell in it are desolate.

Therefore the inhabitants of the earth are burned,and few men are left.

Burn your New Testament before the Earth burns !!!!!!

Yisraylite smiley

(1) (Reply)

It's Time For A Black Pope / Something Great Is About To Happen To You / Why You Need A Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.