Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,942 members, 7,817,768 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why (2395 Views)

Ebola: NUT Asks Teachers To Ignore Sept. 22 / IGNORE All 2023 WAEC, NECO, UTME Score Upgrade And Admission Assistance Threads / Federal Poly Nekede, Owerri, Admission List Out! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by Phemour: 3:07pm On Aug 13, 2008
his exam is coming up on 23 of this month, I'm a candidate for the first time.
What weird to me about this exam is that, i've not been seeing anybody in Nairaland/Education Posting Topic about this exam. is it because of the discriminations or the exam is not tough?

Nairalander Education let chat about POLY JAMB

one love
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by Phemour: 8:39pm On Aug 13, 2008
If is for the discrimination forget, your aim is the most important, if u have the intention of having HND certificate u will be discriminated till death because we are in Nigeria, but if u use it as a shortcut to Bsc Congrat!

i don't know why some people would have the intention of using polytechnics as shortcut but later found themselves using HND to find jobs which is normal but  we are in Nigerian “Nigerian where first class can’t get job” talk less of  HND holder that come from no where.  Is now obvious that, many people encountered a lot of problems in Polytechnics which they think stopping at HND is ok.

A brilliant friend of mine came home from strike, he shocked me as he told me he’s not going to continue his education after HND, I asked him why, he told me school fees too much. What a pity, after going through challenges such as Waec, Jamb, Admission, he’s still suffering from School Fees, Job in prospect.  cry  cry  cry

I think Nigerian education is getting worse, and desperate problems need desperate solution.

Let talk solutions:
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by HOLAYINCA(m): 2:11pm On Aug 14, 2008
hmm,     true talk, i think the problem is from nigeria government.
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by lobinoxebe(m): 1:31pm On Aug 16, 2008
guy no mind them jare, go and seat for your exams with happy mind and pass it, I inifhed from Yaba college of technology, and am proud of my Nd holder,

Just be urself and know what you want,

two love
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by Phemour: 10:32am On Aug 22, 2008
is unfortunate for hnd holder
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by desmondtut(m): 2:53pm On Aug 22, 2008
Wel same 2 me im doin d exams 2morrow nd i dnt knw why ppl hate dat exams so much but 2 me i wil try my best 4 d exams ooo
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by Phemour: 5:36pm On Aug 22, 2008
cry cry cry cry
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by TONDO: 5:46pm On Aug 22, 2008
dere is fire on the mountain
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by Phemour: 12:10pm On Aug 30, 2008
[size=13pt]
[center]NO NYSC FOR 2YEARS, DORBEN POLY STUDENT RAMPAGE[/center][/size]

For the authorities of Dorben Polytechnic, they have a time-bomb in their hands if the recent face-off between the students and the management of the school is anything to go by. The students are confronting the management over their non-inclusion in the NYSC scheme for some years now.

Students who had completed their Higher National Diploma (HND) have not been able to do the one year compulsory National Youth Service over the past two years, a situation that is reportedly worrying final year students who fear that they could suffer the same fate as their predecessors. The fear culminated in their protest on August 5, approximately a week to their examinations. Students in other levels have completed their examinations, the HND students stayed away from their examinations to press home their demand.

The polytechnic runs HND in Accountancy, Business Administration and Computer Studies, after which students are expected to be mobilised for the youth service after successful completion.

On the day of the protest, eye witnesses revealed that students gathered at the gate of the polytechnic threatening that they would burn down the school if management does not explain why they and three sets before them could not be mobilised for the one-year compulsory NYSC scheme.  They said they enrolled into the school because it claimed that its HND products were mobilised for NYSC after completion of their various courses of studies.

The students claimed that products of the school had not attended the one year compulsory youth service after the first batch in 2005. After deliberations with some of the students in the Rector’s office, the Rector, Mrs. Okorie, addressed the students that everything was in top gear to ensure that they are mobilised for the NYSC scheme. She said there were documents that have not been signed which she said had prevented them from being mobilised for the youth service. The Rector’s explanation did not convince the students, as they boycotted the examinations. 

“We told the school authority that we HND students will not write the exams until the documents they claim was with the National Board for Technical Education (NBTE), Kaduna is signed and we are sure of being mobilised for service,” said Ibrahim Issa, a HND1 student.

However, the students left, but to return on August 15, claiming that they had heard a rumour that the school is planning to conduct examinations for some sets of HND students, as a way to punish others. They claimed that by so doing, other students who did not write exams will be given automatic carry-over.

Earlier, the HND students wrote a letter on August 14,,to Bwari Police Station requesting for approval for a peaceful demonstration the next day.

The demonstration was, however, intercepted by the arrival of the Area Commander, Kubwa Division, Yahaya Bello. During the visit, Weekly Trust learnt that students ensured that the ASP did not go to meet the school management, rather they came outside the gate to meet with the visitor and the students. In the visitor’s presence, it was said that the school agreed that the student would not write exams until the issue is resolved, and that when eventually the exams will be conducted, it will be announced for the benefit of the students concerned.

Despite all these, the students were not satisfied. They seem to deal with the situation their own ways. They have been having secret meetings outside the school. In one of the meetings held in one of the primary schools in Bwari, they agreed to mobilise themselves to visit the Ministry of Education to ascertain what has been preventing them for mobilisation for the NYSC scheme.

“Sometime ago, the management told us that all the documents are ready, it is just for the Ministry of Educationy to sign. So, this time we said we shall not write the exams until the document are signed from the NBTE or Federal Ministry of Education, where it is. They agreed with us that if the documents are eventually signed, the present graduates will proceed on NYSC. But we said no. We said that the three sets who were not able to go for the NYSC should proceed first before us. But now we have decided to storm the ministry to see things for ourselves to see who is lying,” said Ignus Okoro, a final year student.

Several efforts to see the Polytechnic Registrar, Mr. V.You. Obianga proved abortive, as his secretary told Weekly Trust that he was busy. The Public Relations Officer of NBTE, Lawal Hafiz told Weekly Trust that the problem of the polytechnic students for not going for NYSC was that the courses have not been accredited by the board.

“We don’t hold the report of accreditation. At most, a month later, the result would be ready after the accreditation team goes for accreditation. I can authoritatively say that the problem is not from us, but rather from the school, because if the students are not mobilised for youth service, it means that they have not been accredited for those courses. We work hand-in-hand with the NYSC. The NYSC has all the programmes that have been accredited in each school. It is the list of these programmes that the NYSC uses to mobilise students for youth service. On the issue of accreditation, it involves meeting some criteria, such as students to lecturers’ ratio, classroom and lecture halls, laboratory and laboratory equipments and accreditation is given on a course of studies from the beginning, not when a school starts a course without accreditation. It is not done like that,” he explained.

http://www.dailytrust.com/content/view/17133/243/

Phemour
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by DisGuy: 3:37pm On Aug 30, 2008
Considering the Fg is looking to make HND certificate equivalent to BTech and so on
I think its not a bad idea, plus its better than staying at home wasting money for different admissions

Just make sure the schools you are applying to have their courses accredited before signing up
you can always check with the NUC/NBTE to make doubly sure!!!

dont go the way of dorben poly
those guys re patient o, I will kill the rector(s) and all the officials
burn the whole place down then run to ghana grin
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by Phemour: 4:32pm On Aug 30, 2008
I'm even afraid
Re: Nairalanders Ignore Poly Jamb Posts, Why by Casfan123: 11:06pm On May 06, 2010
It does nt matter which school u went or d  type of degree u came out with.wat maters is d conection u have.dat is wat wil help u find a job.pls friends do nt critize or discourage anybody.filter wat u say.b a sourse of strength 2 others.show some love

(1) (Reply)

Here Is How To Process 2012 Neco Gce Registration Form And The Full Time Table / 19 Websites That Will Make You Smarter / Another Chance To Prove Your Intelligence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.