Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,804 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:39 AM

How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? (39835 Views)

My Funny Jjc Experience In Canada........ / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe / Nigerians In Diaspora Carry Sh*t For A Living (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by ifegy: 5:41am On Jan 27, 2012
^^^^So not true,
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Apr 12, 2012
NIGERIANS ARE WICKED BOTH HOME AND ABROAD FOR SO MANY OF THEM THEIR WICKEDNESS IS INBORN THEY CAN'T CHANGE STUDY PEOPLE BEFORE YOU REVEAL YOUR SECRET EVEN IN THE CHURCH YOU CAN SEE WORSE PEOPLE I AM EXPERIENCED HERE IN NIGER.

9 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by EMOlusuyi: 10:26pm On Jun 03, 2012
I had gone thru all the responses. All appears emotional and hasty attempt to generalize. If one is a failure at home, unless the attitudes changes, he will continue to be one even abroad.

Nigerians are like all other human being on the face of the earth. There will always be personality issue. No two individual can ever be the same.

5 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by Ladapo(m): 5:54am On Jan 13, 2013
I live in Winnipeg and I can tell for sure that "some Nigerians" can be very terrible....very arrogant, unsupportive, ready to run you down and willing to leave you helpless....however, there are great individuals who you really would have wished you met earlier. My experience in Canada wasn't a pleasant one, I almost ran back home but for encouragement from other friends...

A family member who took us in when we arrived in Winnipeg with my wife and a little daughter made life very unbearble for us and this guy who is supposedly a family member exploited us in many ways, through us out out in the cold at an instance and almost sniffed life out of his wife cos of us....first, he took six months rent well ahead of time from us in cash (this is not the practice in Canada)....the guy was all about all the money he could get from us, knowing we are jjc....he eventually moved out of town and guess what, he sold the bed we sleep in and a few furniture to us at 1200 dollars, something we could get for less....he wanted me to buy his car for 8000$ but when I refused, he became a roaring lion ....I asked him for receipt for all the money I paid him totaling about 6400 dollars but till now, that is history and to think this guy claims to be a pastor....now I have learnt my lessons, people moving out of Nigeria into foreign lands should be mindful of friends and family members they relate with....you need people to survive but pray to meet the right people.

30 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by stone2x: 3:00pm On Feb 22, 2013
Dear ladapo:

Need to start a new life in canada, please hw do i accomplish this?
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by jidewin(m): 7:18pm On Feb 23, 2013
Ladapo: I live in Winnipeg and I can tell for sure that "some Nigerians" can be very terrible....very arrogant, unsupportive, ready to run you down and willing to leave you helpless....however, there are great individuals who you really would have wished you met earlier. My experience in Canada wasn't a pleasant one, I almost ran back home but for encouragement from other friends...

A family member who took us in when we arrived in Winnipeg with my wife and a little daughter made life very unbearble for us and this guy who is supposedly a family member exploited us in many ways, through us out out in the cold at an instance and almost sniffed life out of his wife cos of us....first, he took six months rent well ahead of time from us in cash (this is not the practice in Canada)....the guy was all about all the money he could get from us, knowing we are jjc....he eventually moved out of town and guess what, he sold the bed we sleep in and a few furniture to us at 1200 dollars, something we could get for less....he wanted me to buy his car for 8000$ but when I refused, he became a roaring lion ....I asked him for receipt for all the money I paid him totaling about 6400 dollars but till now, that is history and to think this guy claims to be a pastor....now I have learnt my lessons, people moving out of Nigeria into foreign lands should be mindful of friends and family members they relate with....you need people to survive but pray to meet the right people.

My bro,thank you for the summary.There is a big problem with most of our citiznes abroad.And i could deduce GREED,ENVY and JEALOUSY is the main reason behind the evils perpetrated towards fellow citizens.It doesnt matter which tribe.I remebered vividly well what my tribesmen had done to me,while we work in the same industry together here in South Africa.As such,i cut off from so many and kept just two,and the two are not even in the same province as I nor in the same field.Where i am now,im certain Nigerians here cant be more than 6-8 in total and we dont even mix.Its a surburb.
When abroad,learn fast.Just because someone hosted you and sound all religious doesnt mean he/she wishes you truly well abroad.
Cheers my people and all the best.God Bless.

14 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by otto256: 6:20am On Aug 05, 2013
thats the stupidness of a black man,untill the end of the world.we will remain like that.

2 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by santafe(m): 12:16am On Aug 13, 2013
When I first came into Canada, I was stranded in an hotel with my wife and three kids. It was a Nigerian couple that I met on Nairaland that came to the hotel,took us to Their house and harboured us the 2weeks. Total strangers.OP don't generalize with ur experience

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by Yvet: 8:00pm On Oct 12, 2014
We are one of the good ones.
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by dunk2011: 12:47am On Oct 13, 2014
U funny....just becos u saw the bobo at a nigerian party ..doesnt make him a nija guy..might have some nija friends at party.

uote author=yommyuk post=4735909]Poster, this is very common
A few years ago, a work colleague of mine (whiteguy) told me that a nigerian has just joined our company on the top floor. A few days later I met the guy in the lift and I introduced myself. to my horror the bobo said that he was from Dominican republic. A few months after that I saw the bobo at a nigerian party. Men I was disgusted.

[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by Bifwoli: 4:49am On Oct 13, 2014
santafe:
When I first came into Canada, I was stranded in an hotel with my wife and three kids. It was a Nigerian couple that I met on Nairaland that came to the hotel,took us to Their house and harboured us the 2weeks. Total strangers.OP don't generalize with ur experience

May God bless that kind couple abundantly.

19 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by yommyuk: 8:48am On Oct 13, 2014
dunk2011:
U funny....just becos u saw the bobo at a nigerian party ..doesnt make him a nija guy..might have some nija friends at party.

uote author=yommyuk post=4735909]Poster, this is very common
A few years ago, a work colleague of mine (whiteguy) told me that a nigerian has just joined our company on the top floor. A few days later I met the guy in the lift and I introduced myself. to my horror the bobo said that he was from Dominican republic. A few months after that I saw the bobo at a nigerian party. Men I was disgusted.

The bobo na proper naija. He was speaking yoruba

8 Likes

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by pansophist(m): 5:27pm On Oct 14, 2014
Is it only Canada? it is everywhere. There is this subtle jealousy and despicable attitude that is channeled towards you by others, especially in a case where you are achieving more than them academically, better in some ways (maybe your appearance, social skiils, younger in age, proficiency in languages etc), climbing your professional ladder higher and quicker etc

It is human nature to feel jealous, but going to an extent of wishing this person bad and trying any subtle way to bring them down is a specialization of our people.

Just try to avoid them, thats all you can do and be independent, things like this usually occur when you always depend on them for some certain thing, this gives them the opportunity to come in to your domain and play their tune. We need friends of course, but choose them wisely.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by alabica(m): 4:05am On Aug 25, 2015
I stumbled on this page on the my last day in Canada having been here on vacation from the UK for the past 10 days. I am visiting with my Wife and 2 Daughters. We think Canada is a beautiful, spacious country with lots of suitable qualities for families. We have really enjoyed our time here. Some of our highlights were our visit and dinner at the CN Tower, a visit to St Lawrence Market, the Aquarium, Toronto Island and the Niagara Falls. Before now, we have travelled almost everywhere on holidays, from Dubai to America, Greece to Amsterdam, we have never bothered to look for Nigerians in any of these countries. The reason being that we don't like to inconvenience anyone. Sometimes, we (Nigerians) expect far too much from one another which always lead to misunderstanding and mistrust. Abroad is tough, we are working hard to make things happened but others expect you to leave your problem and deal with theirs first. I am an Employer of Labour in the UK. I have always had issues every time I employ my own people to a point I stopped employing them. Does that make me a bad Nigerian? I bet some would disagree.

However, I will advise anyone reading this or earlier posts not to be put off Nigerians. We should continue to love one another. Like most people have said, look for the right Nigerians. Just look at the Indians and the Chinese. They also have their own faults but have found a way to work together hence they are able to influence the system wherever they are based. On the other hand, look at us. We need to be honest with ourselves, work for and with each other. Enough said.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by Nobody: 11:47am On Mar 15, 2016
Hello all,

I am Mrs Opeyemi a Christian, married wiv kids. Please I need a favour if I could get a kind hearted Nigerian to nominate us for the Manitoba Nominee. My husband -A chemical engineer (d principal applicant) has been in express entry pool since last year but not able to get ITA. but we were advised to get a provincial nominee certificate to boost our points. having searched thru most of d provinces, we discovered my husband is most qualified for Manitoba but den we ll need a friend/family with PR visa to nominate us. Pls we don't have any intention of living with you or living on u. pls if u r willing kindly contact me on slimshady_584@yahoo.com. Thanks and God bless!

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by igboboy3(m): 4:13pm On Jun 23, 2016
Nigerians in Canada only back-bite when levels are not the same, maybe one party is legal and the other party is underground hustlng.

btw, where are the nice homely churches in Toronto?
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by Nobody: 11:58am On Jun 25, 2016

1 Like

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by harlyon(m): 6:48pm On Oct 25, 2016
Nigerians are like that abroad....................
i have had such experience with one but God saved me..
Dont trust anyone
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by Nokio1: 7:40am On Jun 15, 2017
Who send u go Canada?
Recession dey hammer us here, you chop hamburger come dey wori us
If d 9ja people no dey friendly Biafra people no dey?
If you no like d churches, mosque no dey... grin grin
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by onebamoh: 5:27pm On Dec 16, 2017
Hello all,
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by DONFASZY(m): 1:56pm On Aug 14, 2018
Ladapo:
I live in Winnipeg and I can tell for sure that "some Nigerians" can be very terrible....very arrogant, unsupportive, ready to run you down and willing to leave you helpless....however, there are great individuals who you really would have wished you met earlier. My experience in Canada wasn't a pleasant one, I almost ran back home but for encouragement from other friends...

i want to chat wit u privately
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by lordally(m): 7:15pm On Aug 15, 2018
debosky:
first of all. . . .where in Canada are you?

There are nasty Nigerians everywhere, just as there are nasty Canadians, Egyptians and the like - the key is to avoid the bad ones and roll with the good ones. I have had mostly good experiences with Nigerians in Canada, in four different cities from east to west. I guess you just need to take time and find those ones that would fit you best.

With regards to naija churches in Canada though, I have little experiences with that - I've been to RCCG in two cities and they seemed pretty down to earth to me, I don't know about which ones you are experiencing.

Bro any idea on how I can come over to Canada
the finance isn't the problem
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by Radiantblessing: 4:38pm On Nov 12, 2018
Please can I get your mail address??
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by easyzworld: 10:07am On Dec 05, 2018
I would love to connect with nigerians in MTL.
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by enemyofprogress: 11:22am On Dec 05, 2018
I Walk around like everything is ok... but deep down I want to rob a bank
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by enemyofprogress: 11:23am On Dec 05, 2018
Eri won lo buru, eri won ni o da
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by enemyofprogress: 11:28am On Dec 05, 2018
Nokio1:
Who send u go Canada?
Recession dey hammer us here, you chop hamburger come dey wori us
If d 9ja people no dey friendly Biafra people no dey?
If you no like d churches, mosque no dey... grin grin
okija shrine nko?
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by enemyofprogress: 11:35am On Dec 05, 2018
santafe:
waoooooooow 5 extra mouths
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by enemyofprogress: 11:42am On Dec 05, 2018
mevisbleek:
@vadewoyin, na yoruba people plenty for canada, anywhere wey yoruba plenty wat do u expect, in d whole rccg in canada na yoruba full, as i enter rccg as i jst see d yoruba community i discharge. Forget about Nigerians, na over familiarity with nigerians they kill person, me anytime i c Nigerians here i will tell them that i am from botswana, thats whats up, ride alone and u will live long, take my advice. Dont even attend any Nigerian function, na my way be that, no nigerian here know say i be naija dude. Lol
even with that ogbomosho tribal marks on your face?
Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by jesmond3945: 9:04pm On Dec 05, 2018
This thread is very timely, although it is 10 years it was started but I would want people in abroad to comment and talk about thier experiences based on your relationship with Nigerians. When i came to europe my experience was nigerians not reciprocating your greeting or looking away when you make eye contact. It made me to withdraw into my world and find ways to make myself happy. This behaviour was was analogous to other nationalities who bonded and rolled together. Although, I have used my contact to give nigerians here jobs and also resolve dispute that is affecting nigerians but I implore nigerians to throw away pride and embrace their brothers wherever they may see them.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Come Nigerians In Canada Don't Like Each Other? by Panda007: 11:17pm On Jan 04, 2019
I intend to move to Canada this year. Please does any one know how to go about it??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Amosun Left Roads In Akute-Alagbole-Ajuwon (Photos) / Video Of How Road Users In The Netherlands Give Way To An Ambulance(pix,vid) / Sunday Esan, Dangote's Manager Had An Accident (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.