Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,993 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

Unripe Plantain - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Unripe Plantain (8777 Views)

Peppered Gizzard And Unripe Plantain Recipe / How To Cook Nigerian Unripe Plantain Porridge With Bushmeat And Fish (photos) / How To Make Unripe Plantain Porridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unripe Plantain by lidbb2(m): 5:19pm On Aug 14, 2008
Please i have a short question to ask.

Is it safe and healthy to eat boiled unripe plantain?? (the green ones)
Re: Unripe Plantain by savanaha: 5:21pm On Aug 14, 2008
I don't see why not. The ones fried and packed as plantain chips are unripe. They don't have toxins which are released during ripening.
Re: Unripe Plantain by HRhotness(f): 5:23pm On Aug 14, 2008
YES

They r supposed to be richer in iron content
Re: Unripe Plantain by lidbb2(m): 5:54pm On Aug 14, 2008
savanaha:

I don't see why not. The ones fried and packed as plantain chips are unripe. They don't have toxins which are released during ripening.

HR.hotness:

YES

They r supposed to be richer in iron content

thanks to both of you.
Re: Unripe Plantain by Mustay(m): 8:29pm On Aug 14, 2008
It is also used for preparing iyàn
Re: Unripe Plantain by Cayon(f): 11:19pm On Aug 16, 2008
@poster:

Try this with unripe or half ripe plantain.

Slice and put plantain to bake in oven. After baking, take a brush and glaze plantain with honey.

tongue tongue tongue very tasty
Re: Unripe Plantain by spikedcylinder: 1:54pm On Aug 18, 2008
Love them boiled!
The ripe ones start to irritate me after a few bites.
Re: Unripe Plantain by oghogho4: 4:53pm On Aug 18, 2008
Surprisingly as a gal, i prefare unripe plantain 2 d ripe ones. Heard that it contains traces of iron in it, unlike d ripe one which is pure carbohydrate. Again it is higly recommended for diabetic patients, invalds, pregnant women , toldlers and sick patients. So go ahead and enjoy with with fish sauce, fried eggs, fried vegetables and pepper soup.
Re: Unripe Plantain by omoge(f): 5:35pm On Aug 18, 2008
that thing when boiled can choke someone o grin

your throat must be wide enough to swallow not well chewed unripe boiled plaintain o
Re: Unripe Plantain by chika98: 2:07am On Aug 19, 2008
Ripe one has high carb content because of the sugars in it. The unripe one can be made into a porridge. It is very tasty if made the right way.
Re: Unripe Plantain by Mustay(m): 7:29pm On Aug 19, 2008
The cameroonians are good at it.
Re: Unripe Plantain by lidbb2(m): 8:32am On Aug 20, 2008
thanks evryone.i appreciate it.

Cayon:

@poster:

Try this with unripe or half ripe plantain.

Slice and put plantain to bake in oven. After baking, take a brush and glaze plantain with honey.

tongue tongue tongue very tasty

thank you.i'll give it a try.
Re: Unripe Plantain by oghogho4: 12:22pm On Aug 20, 2008
Emmmmmm, again u could get d plantain sliced into chips, den get dem throughly dried, and grinded. it is used for amala also. its more xpensive than the one gottn 4m yam. a must for diabetic patients also,with the advange of using plenty of vegetables and fish with it.
Re: Unripe Plantain by oyekumbi(f): 12:31pm On Aug 21, 2008
Its very good & a gud source of iodine. Its a gud way to prevent goitre.
Re: Unripe Plantain by JeSoul(f): 5:05pm On Aug 22, 2008
omoge:

that thing when boiled can choke someone o grin

your throat must be wide enough to swallow not well chewed unripe boiled plaintain o
My thots exactly! Me I cannot eat boiled unripe plantain . . . I will most certainly choke on those stones.
Re: Unripe Plantain by Abby0007(f): 11:37am On Oct 06, 2015
lool..when plantain is unripe, you let it boil for long and it wont choke uu..
however you can get a sweet combined taste using partially ripe plantain.. https://ayinkelounge./2015/10/06/how-to-cook-plantain-porridge/
I tried these steps and it turned out yummy!!!
Re: Unripe Plantain by missKiffy(f): 10:10pm On Oct 06, 2015
Nothing bad in it, boiled unripe plantain goes well with vegetable soup

(1) (Reply)

Ingredients For 1 Bag Of Rice / ₩#* Get Your Gift Items | Home Appliances | Kitchen Utensils @ Distributor Price / So What Do You Usually Do With Dough That Doesn't Rise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.