Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,213 members, 7,818,722 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

The Mobile Wi-fi Access Point - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / The Mobile Wi-fi Access Point (980 Views)

The Best Among PD Proxy, Above VPN, Wi Free , Sandwich VPN And Tunnel Guru / Glo Access Point? / D-link Access Point Password (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Mobile Wi-fi Access Point by Edufresh(m): 8:20pm On Aug 16, 2008
Do-it-yourself cheap, easy Internet,  everywhere!

Prologue

I recently got a new cell phone as part of my contract renewal with my cell provider. I was pleased to learn that for a two-year service agreement I could purchase a Nokia 3220 for around N10k. Knowing that I could use a data cable to connect my laptop to my phone and get mobile Internet at any time, I jumped at the chance.

Imagine - never having to deal with real life again, because wherever I am the Internet is there with me. Of course, mobile Internet has less anti-social uses. Modern businesspeople can seldom spend much time away from the Internet, what with Internet-centric businesses being all the rage nowadays.

I got a Nokia CA-42 cable and immediately used it to fill the conspicuous gap between the bottom of my phone and a USB port on my laptop. In the ensuing frenzy, drivers were installed and Nokia Connection Managers were set up. A quick search of the Internet revealed the correct settings for the WAP gateway and username/password for my particular wireless carrier.

Re: The Mobile Wi-fi Access Point by segzicres(m): 4:46pm On Aug 17, 2008
BORING!!!!! go get a life or tell us the whole details
Re: The Mobile Wi-fi Access Point by uspry1(f): 12:15am On Aug 19, 2008
LOL!!!! It ain't hacking the networking configuration. NOTHING NEW to me---hottest technology gadgets i love to purchase those peripherals for my mobile functionality needs comfortable and satisfactory. grin

There is nothing wrong with purchase mobile wireless adapter or device hooked up to the USB port for internet connection!

It is legally obtaining mobile wireless adapter. It is same way you can purchase any peripherals such as wireless router, printer switch adapter, USB Ethernet adapter, PCMICA card, P2P cable for two computers sharing to be hooked up with either computer or laptop.

Everyone in the world (mostly USA and Europe) has their own cellphone or high speed internet provider to come with purchased mobile wireless adapter they know how to configure internet connection protocol from their cellphone provider giving them proper information with "Getting Started Set Up CD".
Re: The Mobile Wi-fi Access Point by Edufresh(m): 12:55pm On Aug 23, 2008
Continuation,

But all was not well.

Over a couple of days playing around with my connection, disconnecting, reconnecting, and trying various services and websites, I noticed there were several issues to reconcile:

* Driver hell. Might be hyperbole, but I found myself installing/uninstalling modems and serial ports in addition to recreating Dial-up Networking connections often just to get the link working.
    * Slow speed. I suppose this was a symptom of the cheap $6/mo Internet plan I have on my phone account.
    * Blocked ports. Many Internet ports were blocked out, including HTTP for some reason.
    * Dropped connections. Loading a page like Slashdot or Accuweather would often fail because required scripts or CSS pages couldn't be loaded.
    * Sharing. What if I wanted to share my connection with a bunch of businesspeople in the same car, or a car traveling close by? Wireless ad-hoc sharing set-up is a real hassle, no matter what operating system you use.

Mulling over the problem for a week or two, my eyes drifted slowly toward the stack of three Motorola WR850G routers in my room.

The Solution:

Each of these routers (which can be had for around $30 apiece) was running the OpenWRT Linux embedded operating system. Their infinite reconfigurability has made them the focus of a few of my projects in the past. (Check out their Table of Hardware - your 802.11g router may be capable of running OpenWrt!)

Wouldn't it be great if I could just plug my phone into one of these routers, and have it automatically connect to the phone and serve its sweet, sweet Internet over a Wi-fi connection? Better still, have it transparently proxy all connections so that nearly all Internet programs will function properly? Maybe even prioritize certain types of traffic, or encrypt everything so my wireless carrier can't spy on what Slashdot stories I like to read? All of those things would be just great. And all of those things are exactly those things which I set out to do (and/or enable you to do!) in this project.

To be Continued,

(1) (Reply)

Help! I Don't Have Sound On My Laptop? / 2011 Norton A-virus Product Key For Sale-good Deal / Help Me Unlock My Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.