Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,120 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:36 AM

Islam And Changing Times? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Islam And Changing Times? (2342 Views)

Islam And Obedience To Leaders / A Qualitative Look at Islam: Changing Society Through Islam / Baby Naming In Islam And The Modern Society. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Islam And Changing Times? by DeepZone: 2:39am On Aug 28, 2008
How does the islamic religion adjust to the changing times in the new world order? I'm sure a lot of things found in the original koran are outdated in the modern world. How do they annex modern developments like artificial insemination, stem cell, gay marriage, female dress code, modern scientific inventions etc into the Islamic doctrine? Do they have a body in Mecca that approves the indoctrination or is it a question of do what you deem fit?
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by olabowale(m): 10:57am On Aug 28, 2008
@Deepzone: Islam is perfect, in it entirety from the Qur'an and in the explanation found in the Sunnah and Hadith. In all things under the heavens, and above it, if the condition that you call doctrine, is incompatible with what is already in the Qur'an and any injuction of the Sunnah/hadith, it will be unacceptable, espectially if it is against what is wholesome in its base in Islam. For example, gay marriage or its practices will never be acceptable in Islam. The doctrine and stand in Islam is NO!

Deepzone, Islam is not like Christianity or Judaism or Hinduism or Taoism or Atheism, etc which can always change from time to time. Only falsehood changes. Truth remains firm and constant.
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by littleb(m): 11:40am On Aug 28, 2008
@DeepZone,

DeepZone:

How does the islamic religion adjust to the changing times in the new world order? I'm sure a lot of things found in the original koran are outdated in the modern world. How do they annex modern developments like artificial insemination, stem cell, gay marriage, female dress code, modern scientific inventions etc into the Islamic doctrine? Do they have a body in Mecca that approves the indoctrination or is it a question of do what you deem fit?

Brother, Qur'an is not outdated in any form and it's very much complaince with the changing world; both scientifically and socially.

Generally, rulings on any subjects in Islam is subjected to four sources acccordingly:

1. The Qur'an - the primary source

2. The Sunah - the traditions of the prophet

3. Ijma - Consensus of the Hulamaa(scholars). Mostly performed by muslims jusrist in such community after several shuura(consultation)

4. Qiyas - Analogy. Provided it has not been stated clearly in the preceding sources.(carried out after several shuura)

The pronouncement of legal injunctions regarding societal norms is known as Sharia Law which is subjected to the above four citations sources. This is also supported by Quran and hadith itself. Mostly, sharia law is mostly applicable in an organised islamic community and there is always a committee for it.

Now, on the issue of scientific invention; islam view any scientific discoveries or invention to be for the purpose of societal procreation and not destruction and also not against the societal norms and order. More importanlty, it must be carried out within the fold of sharia law.

The issue of artificial insemination have been unanimously agreed and approved according to sharia. However, the guided rule is also provided by sharia on  why, who and how it should be carried out. Most importantly, between the lagally married couple and carried out by trusted qualified personnels. Also, on stem cells; there are lot of issues on it and my able law teacher has not been able to prove it to me according to sharia. However, from my research, I think it is permitted but the purpose need to be checked. More importantly, the guided rules on sharia have to be followed. My line is not medical, but I learnt it is for research purpose. Gay marriage is forbidden while female dress code is very well addressed and the evidence is what you see arround you. However, you can exanpciate on what you mean by women dress code.

Do they have a body in Mecca that approves the indoctrination or is it a question of do what you deem fit?

There is always a sharia group in local and national Islamic environment that address critical and genuine societal issues and also globally. You shouldn't approach anything ignorantly in Islam and most important, not as you wish.
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by DeepZone: 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2008
Deepzone, Islam is not like Christianity or Judaism or Hinduism or Taoism or Atheism, etc which can always change from time to time. Only falsehood changes. Truth remains firm and constant.

@Olabowale, LittleB just confirmed that artificial insemination has been approved unanimously by the islamic community, Is that not a form of change?
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by littleb(m): 4:41pm On Aug 28, 2008
DeepZone:

@Olabowale, LittleB just confirmed that artificial insemination has been approved unanimously by the islamic community, Is that not a form of change?

There is no change! I think you should understand rules from scientific advancement perspective. During the life of prophet, there was no aeroplane. Are you now saying that for muslims to approve the usage of aeroplane has changed the rules in Islam! There many scientific inventions which were not stated by what you use, however thier purpose were clearly defined in the Quran and hadith. The purpose maybe to safe life or resolving conceptual difficulties. Thus, the the Ijma(The consensus) approves it which makes it compatible with Quran and Sunnah. Will you reverse the days to stone age and prove the same?
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Jarus(m): 5:41pm On Aug 28, 2008
Good lectures from Littleb and Olabowale. Wanted to join the discussion but I can see you are already doing justice to it. May Allah increase you in wisdom and knowledge.

May He also let Deepzone see the truth as truth and be able to follow it.

Jazakumullahu khaeran
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Queenisha: 5:58pm On Aug 28, 2008
Who says Islam is not changing?
some death by stoning offences are now jail times
some Islamic countries now make polygamy illegal
The hijab and burqua are not allowed in some schools and Universities,Turkey is an example
That's progress and modernization
marrying underage girls is illegal now in some
and women are now more that tilths in some places
that verse in the koran about husband scourging their wives has the word "lightly "added to it  and the modern translations have taken it out outright
They now try to prove that aisha was older than 6 because they now know pedophilia is a crime and frowned at by decent human beings
Even the meaning of jihad has changed from holy war from when Usman dan fodio did his thing to struggle by modern muslims.
Some muslims now outrightly condemn barbaric acts like stonings and amputations and honor killing which were accepted in mohammed's time
Muslims now listen to music despite Mohammeds disdain for it
killing of apostates is now illegal in some muslim quarters despite what the koran said
mukina for instance will not be a second wife to any one, she's independent, converses with males with no strings attached, dresses well, does not need permission from a male to go wherever she chooses, will not let anyman scourge her and she is still a muslim and there are millions like her.
That's change my dear

there are many more changes,don't let them fool you
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Jarus(m): 8:09pm On Aug 28, 2008

But you did not say bring what authorized the change. Nobody can change Allah's laws. Whoever change stone offences to jail terms do so at their own whims, definitely not for Islam.

Thank God you said Islamic Countries, not ISLAM. Even if Saudi does it, inasmuch as it is not what Islam says, they are not part of Islam and cannot be smuggled into Islam.
The hijab and burqua are not allowed in some schools and Universities,Turkey is an example
And so therefore? It is Turkey and those countries that are changing(deviating), not Islam
All these underage marriage talk are nothing but propaganda against Islam,in the first place. So I wont join issues with you here. But even if Islam sanctions the so-called underage marriage, the fact that some countries ban it doesn't mean it is no longer part of Islam.
I can't stop laughing!!! It is these women that are changing(for worse anyway), not Islam.
that verse in the koran about husband scourging their wives has the word "lightly "added to it and the modern translations have taken it out outright
They now try to prove that aisha was older than 6 because they now know pedophilia is a crime and frowned at by decent human beings

A wanton dispaly of ignorance!!!
Even the meaning of jihad has changed from holy war from when Usman dan fodio did his thing to struggle by modern muslims.
The meaning of Jihad cannot be changed. It was and still HOLY STRUGGLE. Yes, if the struggle requires war, war is still jihad. Struggle is just an encompassing war. War is a subset of struggle(Jihad)
Some muslims now outrightly condemn barbaric acts like stonings and amputations and honor killing which were accepted in mohammed's time
I agree with with you that Some muslims, as you mentioned have changed, but definitely not Islam.
Again you bury the corpse leaving out the legs. Muslims listening to music doesn't mean the Islamic rule on it has changed. The death of the Prophet marked the closure of the 'constitution'. So even if millions of Muslims do it, taht doesn't mean it has become part of Islam.
killing of apostates is now illegal in some muslim quarters despite what the koran said
Thank God, you did not say Koran does not say it again.
mukina for instance will not be a second wife to any one, she's independent, converses with males with no strings attached, dresses well, does not need permission from a male to go wherever she chooses, will not let anyman scourge her and she is still a muslim and there are millions like her.
Who cares!!! We don't look at person in Islam,we look at the the Qur'an and Sunnah.

You have only proved that Muslims are changing, not Islam. And this is why there is the term SIN(drifting from Allah's laws).

A SMALL ADMONITION TO MY MUSLIM BROTHERS/SISTERS
May Allah not make us among those that will misrepresent Islam. Queenisha was able to name some of us(individuals and countries) as examples of PEOPLE/COUNTRIES that represent CHANGED 'ISLAM'.
This is serious. Even a non-Muslim knows us as doing what ISLAM frowns at, and was trying to smuggle those practices into Islam.
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by javalove(m): 8:30pm On Aug 28, 2008
@Queenisha

He that knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything you wrote,  hope you will have the courage to repeat them on the day of judgement.

@ife-eco-06

May Allah reward you abundantly
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by DeepZone: 9:54pm On Aug 28, 2008
@Queenisha

He that knows not and knows not that he knows not is a fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everything you wrote, [b]hope you will have the courage to repeat them on the day of judgement.[/b]

Which judgment? we christians shall not be judged because Christ already paid the price. Good luck on your judgment before God and I hope you can afford a good moslem lawyer by then. How can Queenisha be judged when she'll be on the right hand of God asking Him to have mercy on your soul because you refused to accept Christ when you were in the world?
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by DeepZone: 9:55pm On Aug 28, 2008
Who says Islam is not changing?
That's progress and modernization
that verse in the koran about husband scourging their wives has the word "lightly "added to it and the modern translations have taken it out outright

Gbam!!!!

@Bold, Tunisia recently adopted that rule too.
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Hannibal: 10:08pm On Aug 28, 2008
DeepZone:

Female dress code, modern scientific inventions and stem cells??
I think It all depends on the individuals. . . . . . .
There are zealots who turn things around to suit themselves while there are normal people who accept changes.
I have got many muslim pals here in London and they embrace the new world without stress.
Although GAY MARRIAGE is still a no-no to em just like some Christians will not embrace homosexuality.
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by DeepZone: 10:21pm On Aug 28, 2008

Female dress code, modern scientific inventions and stem cells??
I think It all depends on the individuals. . . . . . .
There are zealots who turn things around to suit themselves while there are normal people who accept changes.
I have got many muslim pals here in London and they embrace the new world without stress.
Although GAY MARRIAGE is still a no-no to em just like some Christians will not embrace homosexuality.

Better answer from a non muslim.
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by DeepZone: 10:26pm On Aug 28, 2008

Thank God you said Islamic Countries, not ISLAM. Even if Saudi does it, inasmuch as it is not what Islam says, they are not part of Islam and cannot be smuggled into Islam.

We don't even know what to believe again. Why fragment islam like this? Which one holds the absolute truth, the Turkish/western moslims, the eastern muslims or the west African muslims because it seems their tenets are totally different?
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Hannibal: 10:28pm On Aug 28, 2008
DeepZone:

Better answer from a non muslim.

Seriously, times have changed.
It is not possible here in the UK to see Muslims marrying underage girls.
Jihad now has a new meaning unlike what we used to know.
The greatest Jihad now is one's conscience and not taping bombs on innocent kids to kill Infidels.
By the next 3 decades, things would have smoothen out and hopefully, all zealots woulda been converted to do things accordingly. cool
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by AloyEmeka9: 2:33am On Aug 29, 2008
Euthenasia is a well accepted doctrine in todays islam. There are other practices the Islamic community are adopting these days but are strangely against the teachings of muhammadu.

Do muslim womenn wear bra?
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Queenisha: 4:06am On Aug 29, 2008
ife-eco-06:

But you did not say bring what authorized the change. Nobody can change Allah's laws. Whoever change stone offences to jail terms do so at their own whims, definitely not for Islam.

And so therefore? It is Turkey and those countries that are changing(deviating), not Islam
All these underage marriage talk are nothing but propaganda against Islam,in the first place. So I wont join issues with you here. But even if Islam sanctions the so-called underage marriage, the fact that some countries ban it doesn't mean it is no longer part of Islam.
I can't stop laughing!!! It is these women that are changing(for worse anyway), not Islam.

A wanton dispaly of ignorance!!!
The meaning of Jihad cannot be changed. It was and still HOLY STRUGGLE. Yes, if the struggle requires war, war is still jihad. Struggle is just an encompassing war. War is a subset of struggle(Jihad)
I agree with with you that Some muslims, as you mentioned have changed, but definitely not Islam.
Again you bury the corpse leaving out the legs. Muslims listening to music doesn't mean the Islamic rule on it has changed. The death of the Prophet marked the closure of the 'constitution'. So even if millions of Muslims do it, taht doesn't mean it has become part of Islam.
Thank God, you did not say Koran does not say it again.
Who cares!!! We don't look at person in Islam,we look at the the Qur'an and Sunnah.

You have only proved that Muslims are changing, not Islam. And this is why there is the term SIN(drifting from Allah's laws).

A SMALL ADMONITION TO MY MUSLIM BROTHERS/SISTERS
May Allah not make us among those that will misrepresent Islam. Queenisha was able to name some of us(individuals and countries) as examples of PEOPLE/COUNTRIES that represent CHANGED 'ISLAM'.
This is serious. Even a non-Muslim knows us as doing what ISLAM frowns at, and was trying to smuggle those practices into Islam.

weak attempt at a rebuttal

In the second post Olabowale said Christianity changes is he talking of the tenets of Christianity or the individuals?
none of the changes I listed are bad changes.
They are expected changes from right thinking humans
So you'll rather stone apostates than let them worship stones if they choose.
shame on you!
keep dancing kokoma and owigiri at a simple question.
Islam has a set of laws called sharia abi?
has those laws changed to suit the times
absolutely!
It is indeed a welcome change
you ought to be gladdened

Muslims listening to music doesn't mean the Islamic rule on it has changed
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Abuzola(m): 6:15am On Aug 29, 2008
Ignorance in the heart of the unbelievers, may Allah guide you to the right path amin
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Abuzola(m): 6:19am On Aug 29, 2008
in Islam the punishment of an apostasy is execution, check Quran 9:11,12 & 2:214, there is also a hadith on it.
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Abuzola(m): 6:22am On Aug 29, 2008
Some muslim country and not islamic country ban hijab in university e.g Turkey, thats because Turkey is a secular Nation
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Abuzola(m): 6:26am On Aug 29, 2008
It is bluttant lie to say scholar re adjusting the age of Aisha before she married, this tradition continues forever
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Abuzola(m): 6:30am On Aug 29, 2008
According to sharia law when one is sentenced to death, d leader will ve to approve it,if he likes he forgives d accused
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Abuzola(m): 6:36am On Aug 29, 2008
Why in some society polygamy is ban is because the men are not capable of dealing among their wives justice
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Abuzola(m): 6:45am On Aug 29, 2008
Men are always the head and not women, i don't see that dimishing except in the western world.
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Abuzola(m): 6:48am On Aug 29, 2008
Let mukina say her view, its non of ur business. she did not act upon it but only utter, Action speaks louder than voice
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Frizy(m): 3:35pm On Aug 29, 2008
A book all Muslims in the house have to read:The Islamic Nation, Status & Future of Muslims in the New World Order.
Anybody trying to rule in the Islamic perpective[i] must[/i] read this book. Am almost finishing!
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by ayinba1(f): 4:47pm On Aug 29, 2008
@aloy emeka,

Are you for REAL?

Ridiculous! I cannot believe that there is any white and gray matter in that contraption that sits on your neck!

Good Lord!
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by ayinba1(f): 4:53pm On Aug 29, 2008
@Queenisha,

Any thing practised by muslims which is at odds with the Quranic injunctions is NOT a good thing for muslims or Islam, it is a good thing for/to you because you rejoice that muslims have began to be led astray as you are.

Now let me tell you one thing, the laws in the Quran are not subject to change. We cannot claim to understand every single verse and as understanding increases, insha Allah, you may find adoptions which you call "change". If you understand this, you will rest your mind.

Turkey is not an Islamic nation, at least you should know a little about government unless of course all you do here is fitnah.

I hope that you allow yourself to see Islam, if you convert, even better. If you die in this state, you will find yourself with the likes of Abi Lahabi. that will be such a waste.
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by subzeeero(m): 5:49pm On Aug 29, 2008
Which judgment? we christians shall not be judged because Christ already paid the price. Good luck on your judgment before God and I hope you can afford a good moslem lawyer by then. How can Queenisha be judged when she'll be on the right hand of God asking Him to have mercy on your soul because you refused to accept Christ when you were in the world?

keep deceiving yourself
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Queenisha: 4:07am On Aug 31, 2008
Abuzola:

Let mukina say her view, its non of your business. she did not act upon it but only utter, Action speaks louder than voice

I happen to have read her views in our various threads over the last 2 years and I'm pretty much saying her own words.
I don't have the time but I could easily pull up threads where some Muslim men like yourself chastized her for saying she will not be one of many wives and will not let a man lay his hands on her in the name of correcting her.
Has she disputed me so far?
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Queenisha: 4:40am On Aug 31, 2008
ayinba1:

@Queenisha,

Any thing practised by muslims which is at odds with the Quranic injunctions is NOT a good thing for muslims or Islam, it is a good thing for/to you because you rejoice that muslims have began to be led astray as you are.

Now let me tell you one thing, the laws in the Quran are not subject to change. We cannot claim to understand every single verse and as understanding increases, insha Allah, you may find adoptions which you call "change". If you understand this, you will rest your mind.

Turkey is not an Islamic nation, at least you should know a little about government unless of course all you do here is fitnah.

I hope that you allow yourself to see Islam, if you convert, even better. If you die in this state, you will find yourself with the likes of Abi Lahabi. that will be such a waste.

Has that highlighted word no English meaning?
why is it that you bunch go off talking jibberish in discussions, do you suppose I know what fitnah and lalakatalam mean?
That is a little rude.
Speak in words that your readers can understand
Turkey of course has to be secular.
They want to join the EU as a full member and have to prove that they qualify to do so.

The laws of the Koran may not change but the humans can change those archaic laws and punishments to suit the times they live in.
Like someone already mentioned,a fornicator could be forgiven or punished in other ways besides stoning,(if she must be punished by her fellow sinful and fornicating men).
Likewise homosexuality should still be frowned against and preached against without the homosexual being stoned to death
Don't you folks say Allah is merciful?
Where are the mercies then when a sinner is not given a chance to repent

The rest of the Islamic world ought to borrow a leaf from Turkey.
The more the sharia lands emulate Turkey,the more peace we'll have.
None of you  are any holier than your Turkish brethren who choose to abide by the human rights codes and not amputate the hands of petty thieves or stone apostates in the village square.
Re: Islam And Changing Times? by Queenisha: 4:53am On Aug 31, 2008
Abuzola:

in Islam the punishment of an apostasy is execution, check Quran 9:11,12 & 2:214, there is also a hadith on it.

So the verse you all parrot regarding "let your religion be yours" is all lies.
Pure altaquiyyah to deceive readers when it suits you.
How come a Muslim who leaves Islam is not worthy of living?
Who knows how many of you are bored and frustrated with the thing but stay on for fear of being beheaded even by your own relatives way before the sharia police hear of it.
And you wonder why some of us say Islam is evil?
If for instance someone killed Cat stevens for converting to Islam ,do you think it's justifiable.
To kill a man for making a choice ?

The problem is that most of you don't ask yourselves basic questions.
You're not encouraged to think
Infact you're flogged by your koranic teachers at childhood for thinking and asking questions such as these
They tell you asking questions about the Koran and Mohammed is evil
so you swallow these things then regurgitate them to your hearers who undoubtedly don't swallow everything they're told and you come off sounding crazy in public.
In Sunday school,we're encouraged to air our views and learn
That's why Christians tend to be more curious and innovative.
We're encouraged to reason and ask questions.
Just look at debates by Christians on Christian issues here on nairaland and you'll see what I mean.

(1) (2)

Why are mulsim countries intolerant of other religions / Ramadan 101 Class 1 - Understanding Ramadan / Who Are The Muslims Supporting For President Of The United States?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.