Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? (6430 Views)

2015 Top 20 Richest Nigerian Musicians, See Their Net Worth / Where Are These Nigerian Musicians? (Pictures) / Why Are Nigerian Musicians Forever Copying African American/jamaican Artistes? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by Falciparum(m): 10:21pm On Jun 28, 2006
Nigerian Musicians (Really Good Or Sentiments)

Nigerian Muscians are they that good to meet up with their international counterparts or their popularity is based on sentiments (since they are all we've got)?

Please tell me. I want to know what other think about this cause left to me its all sentiments.
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by beyunce(f): 10:54am On Jun 29, 2006
It's because dey are good. They can definately make it to international standards.

What am I even saying? They are already making it to international standard!
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by Seun(m): 12:13pm On Jun 30, 2006
If they are good enough to make us feel good when we play their music, they are good enough. That is the only standard by which music is to be measured. There is no need for us to compare our musicians to the Americans.

Would an American ever be able to understand the love we have for pounded yam and egusi soup? If not, does that mean our food is no up to international standards? No. It means the food is customized for local consumption!
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by MerC2(f): 1:05pm On Jun 30, 2006
Naija musicians are very good!
I never used to like 9ja music.
But since people like 2face, Styl-Plus, P-Square came out, I BOW!
Good music and talent rite there! kiss
Especially 2face, that guy na correct guy! kiss
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by molluma(f): 2:50pm On Jun 30, 2006
they are very good.i listen to more naija jams.
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by diddy4(m): 3:43pm On Jun 30, 2006
nigerian musicians are the bomb to me. i feel their songs more than i feel this yankee songs.
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by molluma(f): 4:26pm On Jun 30, 2006
well said diddy.u took the words out of my mouth
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by diddy4(m): 4:32pm On Jun 30, 2006
wink wink smiley
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by Izzo(m): 4:32pm On Jun 30, 2006
Yeah! most Nigerian musicians are good, but one thing they have to stop doing is trying to fake their accent. To me it's kinda wack.
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by sammiek1(m): 8:20pm On Jun 30, 2006
our artists are doing a wonderful job, but the promotion is not eat. We have wonderful artists.
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by shawna(f): 10:50pm On Jun 30, 2006
yes nigerian musicians are really good they r just a little rusty thats all cheesy
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by omogenaija(f): 2:41am On Jul 01, 2006
nigerian music to be is on point,

even though my idea of good nigerian music isn't nigerian hip-hop

i still love the naija fuji,gospel,juju etc.
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by gidig(m): 10:15am On Jul 01, 2006
Nigerian Musicians are areally trying.Like someone said the promotion is not really that good. Take a look at what Lagabaja is doing for instance and the Hip hop artistes( I wish they would just sing and not try being like Americans which they are not).Of course .there are song I really have to tolerate and wonder why the artistes or his friends think they can make a career in music with the song.But generally,the bar is being raised and they are doing a great job,even with the production.

Specifically.Tu face' huge success; Ara's publicized appearance in stevie woder's project;Asa_please write this down-this girl will be a success cosshe has the one thing all great divas have;the voice- Femi Kuti amnd a so many others not known to us this very moment.
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by ify2love2(f): 11:46am On Jul 01, 2006
Most of them are good, but the bad ones knows themselves.  If they will try to be themself and not copy their foreign counterpart.

Like the Gospel part of Niija music, there are lot of imitation.  One particular song will be change to 12 different pattern because they want to appear on T.V. 

If only we try to customise it to our Africa way, some are real stars. cool cool cool
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by dukforever(m): 3:18pm On Jul 01, 2006
"good" is an understatement."They are fantastic" is more like it.I think they have performed more than average in recent years and they have managed to understand the exact African touch that the audience demand.I was not in love with Nigerian music in years past but of late I have rather found them addictive.Their artistry and creativity has been splendid and all forms of encouragement must be given to them. They are actually puting smiles to the Faces of Nigerians and non Nigerians equally. I am most impressed with Thrybe records.They have definitely taken Nigerian music beyond the shores of Africa.viva to all nigerian artists
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by Darkchild(m): 3:45pm On Jul 01, 2006
THE WORD GOOD IS A RELATIVE STATEMENT.

LIKE SEUN SAID, 'CUSTOMISED' TO PARTICULAR TASTES. I HAVE MET ALOT OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE NIGERIA WHO PARTICULARLY LOVE FELA AND THEM THEM ON ONE HAND AND ON THE OTHER DO NOT LIKE SOME OF THEIR OWN LOCAL MUSICIANS.

I PARTICULARLY THINK IT SOLELY DEPENDS ON WHO THE LISTENER IS.

LIKE SOMEONE SAID, 'HE LIKES FUJI ETC' AND SOME OTHERS MIGHT HATE FUJI BUT LISTEN TO THE LIKES OF 2FACE, P-SQUARE, KUSH ETC.

MY 2KOBO
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by kelvin(m): 4:34pm On Jul 01, 2006
By all standards Nigerian musicians are good. You don't need to compare them with foreign musicians. I believe every country should have their own style of music peculiar to them, but that is not to say that they cannot diversify,
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by killacam(m): 8:03pm On Jul 01, 2006
some are good,some are real wack.like dat niga nuttin pin he wack as hell .KILLA!!!!!

Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by zebudaya(m): 8:45pm On Jul 01, 2006
some of the musicans like sunny nneji, and trybesmen are spectacular but would benefit from better production.(better beats) Just imagine trybesmen rapping on those soulful homevideo music ( you know the one they play when something bad happens) Trybesmen rapping on soul music beats just the way kanye west makes beats would be hot.

Fela was loved because he was spectacular he was original he invented an artform, a genre, he did it well and his lyrics were immaculate. The ibo music/other traditional music are doing really well

I think p-square is overated enough of the sappy girl songs, i watched their music videos they other day they suck, the group maintain sucks to they are not original most of the time.

We need better videos people! It cant be that hard.
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by debosky(m): 3:09am On Jul 02, 2006
p-square over rated? I think their music isn't just your taste/type

many foreign artists have made their living singing 'sappy girl songs' as you put it

usher, keith sweat, david bedingfield etc

originality, creativity and better production is what our artistes need, they already have bucket loads of talent
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by MerC2(f): 6:12am On Jul 02, 2006
David Bedingfield is not american undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by Darkchild(m): 12:37pm On Jul 02, 2006
Did someone say david beddingfield was american? i thot i read foreign.
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by biggpin(m): 1:47pm On Jul 02, 2006
Naija musicain are trying, they ARE good, jus need a little more touches 2 their vids n also prob of piracy
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by Orikinla(m): 1:56pm On Jul 02, 2006
Nigerian musicians are very good.
We are as good as any of the best musicians in America, Europe, Australia and Asia.
From Pop Music to Classical Music.

My friend Dabyna Abraham who has just finished recording his first CD plays rock music as good as Savage Garden, Westlife or Blue. And the guy is cute too. And he is also well educated.

I wanted to be a rock musician since my secondary school days at St. Gregory's College where the celebrated Nigerian teen rock bands Ofege and New Generation were developed and I had a contract to record in the US in 1981. But my father threw the contract away. Because, he did not want me to become a musician. I did not record any music until after his death. And my last recorded song "She Comes On Sundays" has been played on the BBC. But, most people never knew it was done by a Nigerian.

Keziah Jones is the best Blufunk artiste in the world. But most people don't know he is Nigerian. And my ex-Gregorian buddy "Cockie Monster" is one of the best rock guitarists I know and he is somewhere in the UK.

We are among best!
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by MerC2(f): 2:10pm On Jul 02, 2006
oh ma bad, sorry debosky, undecided
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by ToyM28(f): 2:12pm On Jul 02, 2006
Hello Debo, long time no yan. grin

Nywayz, Niger Muscians have so much promise, but dey do not mkae gd use of it. they cld be one of the best rhythm creators in the world (even if the words are cheesy), dey jut do not live up 2 deir promise.

How sad. embarassed
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by molluma(f): 3:06pm On Jul 02, 2006
Orikinla:

Nigerian musicians are very good.
We are as good as any of the best musicians in America, Europe, Australia and Asia.
From Pop Music to Classical Music.

My friend Dabyna Abraham who has just finished recording his first CD plays rock music as good as Savage Garden, Westlife or Blue. And the guy is cute too. And he is also well educated.

pls i cant wait anything better than savage garden has got to be good. i need an autographed copy
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by danielorde(m): 5:13pm On Jul 02, 2006
For real Nigeria Music for me is still coming up, If we look at where we have been (Pretty and Junior, Daddy Showkey etc) and where we are (2 face, P squared, Dare Art-Alade, Mode 9 etc), there has been a great improvement. What is really cool is that we all now appreciate our own stuff, but I hope we will appreciate soon enough more than stuff from the West.

I wish our promotion will get better and packaging too can improve, some videos make one sick, some lyrics are just whack, and some artisit make you wanna puke. Thanks to guys like Global sounds, Sound city and good produces like Storm Records. Vibe Downloads in my opinion is whack, their work on Styl plus was worse than what Styl plus records did themselves. I am still watching though

Hey though it has been a while, what do you think of the HipHop world awards that took place earlier in the year.
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by eveseh(f): 5:43pm On Jul 02, 2006
2face is good,only that i know kiss
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by Orikinla(m): 8:29pm On Jul 02, 2006
Molluma,
Go to the French Cultural Centre in Ikoyi, Lagos and ask for Dabyna Abraham's CD or go to Glendora at the Falomo Shopping Centre in Ikoyi and ask for his CD.

http://www.nigeria-arts.net/Music/Afro_Rock/Dabyna_Abraham/

Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by MP007(m): 9:23pm On Jul 02, 2006
Ask urself, are they really good? ask many of dem when they started music? what music instrument they are good at? their future plans in the music industry? I guess the answer to ur question is blantant,
Re: Are Nigerian Musicians Really Good? by molluma(f): 8:17am On Jul 03, 2006
@ orikinla do u know how far i am from lag. way to far

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

LYRICS + Download Music: Small Doctor – Penalty | Mp3 Download / Hot Naija Music Mix 2014 By DJ Beeast / Power Of Naija 2face Idibia Ft. Mary J. Blige

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.