Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,879 members, 7,821,076 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:51 AM

When You Have a Child Who Steals - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When You Have a Child Who Steals (2699 Views)

Incredible Recovery Of The Nigerian 'witch Child' Who Was Left For Dead / 23yr Old Barren Woman Steals 5-yr-old Boy In Rivers (photo) / Five Practical Ways To Help A Child Who Doesn’t Like Going To School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

When You Have a Child Who Steals by layi(m): 9:15am On Sep 07, 2005
Your Child; A kleptomaniac

You have a child who steals. You've talked to him/her several times about the consequences of pilfering. You try your best to provide his needs (and wants). But He keeps 'doing it'. He's become a kleptomaniac.
How do you help(stop) such a child?
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by IAH(f): 11:24am On Sep 07, 2005
I would cut off his hands.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by layi(m): 11:45am On Sep 07, 2005
HA! shocked

Ever heard of substitution formular? Theifin na for mind no be for hand. He'll simply start stealing with his legs. wink
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by DEKING3(m): 11:56am On Sep 07, 2005
As a parent, you should call him, sit him down and tell him the disadvantages and harms it would cause his life like, he could be imprisoned, no one would want to associate with him cause of the stigma of such an act etc. If those don't work, then the next thing to do is to start praying for him before it's too late.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by whiteshark(m): 3:13pm On Sep 07, 2005
Na wa ooo.

A theifring child eh,

Well my suggestion will be to hand everything over to God after some good brushing for messing up. That child did not come to this world a theif. Something lead to that kind of behavour so something can also be done to divert that child's attention and morales. The parents of the kid should also bear some of the blame too cos according to one old saying " U train up ur child the way he/she should grow and they will never turn away from it" Just put everything into prayers and I assure you, God still work miracles even in the present sinfull world that we live in.

I still dey hail.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Saintjoe(m): 3:32pm On Sep 07, 2005
i think the parents of the stealing child have to take a very critic decison and deal with the child badly, in a way that even if it is juju that they use to make him to steal he will never steal again........seems the child don't want to hear with his/her ears
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by gina34(f): 3:35pm On Sep 07, 2005
well if i hve that sort of problem i will talk to him first.
and i will also pray for him but if he refuses to listen
i willl have no other choice than to disown him. sad
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Greatpeter(m): 3:36pm On Sep 07, 2005
Just take the child to sharia state to learn a lesson grin
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by DEKING3(m): 4:28pm On Sep 07, 2005
@gina, disown? C'mon, it's not that easy.

@GP, well said bro grin
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by whiteshark(m): 5:37pm On Sep 07, 2005
Sharia or disowning nor go work. There is a living God up there and he still works miracles so please my people, in situations like dis, put all faith and trust in him.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Viktor(m): 9:21pm On Sep 07, 2005
Hey gina u can't disown a child because he steals...Thats grosss.Well kids who steal if not a kleptomaniac were'nt shown the best of love i guess or probably wasnt given enuff attention as expected...............
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by WesleyanA(f): 10:41pm On Sep 07, 2005
the kind of friends your child have might influence him/her. talk to your child often about any problems he/she have it could be anything from peer pressure to what not.

i'm speaking from experience. i used to steal when i was 6 or 7 years old (it wasn't my fault though...long story).

@ layi what's a kleptomaniac by the ways?
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Greatpeter(m): 10:46pm On Sep 07, 2005
From the knowledge I have in psychiatry, kleptomania is when one is addicted to stealing irrelevant things.
just like Queen's mother.
she was rich and can afford anything but was still stealing things she could afford and of no use to her from the supermarket.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by WesleyanA(f): 10:47pm On Sep 07, 2005
what if the child was forced to steal like i was? parents should just talk to their kids, ask them questions and make them answer .
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Greatpeter(m): 10:51pm On Sep 07, 2005
WesleyanA were you forced to steal before?

What led you to it please?

I'm inquisitive sorry for that.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by WesleyanA(f): 10:52pm On Sep 07, 2005
happy ending / long story huh.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Latoya(f): 1:25am On Sep 08, 2005
A child that steals needs not to be beaten or cutting off his hands as some people said.
u serious have to look at what that child needs or what the child is lacking and how open u r to your child that is the relationship between u and your child.
Some children steal because they think they r lacking certain things in life or they want what their friends in school have which they cant ask mum or dad because of their relationship aint that good or because they will be yelled at for asking.
If a child steals call that child and have a one on one converstaion. Also dont forget to put it in prayer.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Seun(m): 1:53am On Sep 08, 2005
Here are my thoughts:
- Children learn to steal (or lie) due to parental inattention, insensitivity, or lack of what they need.
- Once the habit has been formed, it may last a lifetime even if the parents subsequently discover it.
- The patient to patiently and consistently apply loving correction until the habit is overcome.
- Using force or cruelty as shortcuts to the desired goal will only make your child "smarter" in the act.
- If the child is past in the early teens, forget it, and focus on keeping your own possesions safe!
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by DEKING3(m): 10:28am On Sep 08, 2005
Seun:

- If the child is past in the early teens, forget it, and focus on keeping your own possesions safe!
I disagree with you on that seun. There's nothing God cannot do if you don't give up on that kind of a child.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by layi(m): 10:50am On Sep 08, 2005
Seun:

- Using force or cruelty as shortcuts to the desired goal will only make your child "smarter" in the act.
How True!  2 wrongs don't make a right.

Seun:

Are Possesions worth more than your child? How sad sad . Where is love? I'll rather loose all my possesions in a bid to save my child. True, Old habits die hard. Bottomline is- they DIE. Acquired habits sure can be corrected. I've heard of such cases but would love to know HOW

WesleyanA:

@ layi what's a kleptomaniac by the ways?
Kleptomaniac "A person with an obsessive impulse to steal regardless of economic need" . Its become habitual.

Viktor:

.......Well kids who steal if not a kleptomaniac were'nt shown the best of love i guess or probably wasnt given enough attention as expected...............
I guess thats the cause. maybe it should be dealt with from that angle. We should "embarrass" the child with love and attention.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by whiteshark(m): 1:49pm On Sep 08, 2005
and d beats goes on and on and on and on.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Latoya(f): 3:49am On Sep 09, 2005
and how long will u continue to beat that child?
i tell u the truth,u will be tired
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by whiteshark(m): 6:40pm On Sep 09, 2005
thats wat I said my sister but dem nor wan hear... anyhow sha, I do not believe in the rod. I believe in the usage of your mouth to correct manythings including this type os situation. That my belief folks
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Saintjoe(m): 9:12pm On Sep 09, 2005
@whiteshar when u keep talking the child keeps stealing, you have to apply force. Remeber "spear the rod and spoil the child". so i think Greatpeter got the best solution, just take the child to sharia. cos if u keep talking how long are u going to talk and if u keep beating how long are u going to beat him/her till e/she stops.... smiley
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Greatpeter(m): 9:20pm On Sep 09, 2005
God bless you saintjoe for sharing my views.

Just take the child to one of these Sharia states.
Period.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by WesleyanA(f): 10:00pm On Sep 09, 2005
is that what you'll do to your child? you sound evil lipsrsealed
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Greatpeter(m): 10:02pm On Sep 09, 2005
wesley don turn this thing personnal oo. grin

I'm not evil oo.

I be God's pinkin.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by WesleyanA(f): 10:03pm On Sep 09, 2005
okay cheesy. . . . you wouldn't want to cut off a child's body parts though would you?
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Greatpeter(m): 10:16pm On Sep 09, 2005
I didn't mention cut neither did i mention amputation.

I just simply said the child should be taken to Sharia state.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by WesleyanA(f): 10:17pm On Sep 09, 2005
oh. i wouldn't take my child to an evil place if i had one.
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by Greatpeter(m): 10:18pm On Sep 09, 2005
Who told it's evil?

Are people not living there?
Re: When You Have a Child Who Steals by WesleyanA(f): 10:20pm On Sep 09, 2005
people that cut off people's body parts huh ?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Future Of The Nigerian Child! / Child Dies After Been Abandoned At Onitsha / What Will Run Through Your Mind if you must Cut This Cake - see pix

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.