Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,857 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics (1577 Views)

Sarah Palin Is A Mistake / Did Sarah Palin Pass Off Her Teenage Daughter's Child As Hers? / Mccain Picks Sarah Palin As Running Mate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Sisikill: 4:29pm On Sep 04, 2008
ST. PAUL, Minn. - Republican presidential nominee John McCain began his final drive for the White House on Thursday with a boost from running mate Sarah Palin while Democratic opponent Joe Biden declared her family "off limits" and suggested that some news media coverage of her had been sexist.

Palin and her husband, Todd, announced this week that their 17-year-old unmarried daughter was pregnant and would be marrying her boyfriend, saying they were making a private matter public because of Internet rumors. Biden said the Democratic campaign was not attacking Palin over her family.

"It is off limits to talk about her family," Biden said in an interview with "Fox and Friends" on Fox News Channel. "Every family has difficulty as they're raising their children. I think the way she's handled it has been absolutely exemplary."

The Palins have five children, including a 4-month-old son with Down syndrome, which has sparked widespread discussion over whether Sarah Palin could balance her family responsibilities with the duties of vice president.

Asked if some of the criticism aimed at Palin has been sexist, Biden said: "Yes, by you guys in the media. , When I heard that media response, you know, this coming from some of the right-wing guys, saying that, 'Well, how can you be a mother and a vice president at the same time?' , I mean, millions of women in America are going through exactly what she (is going) through. And guess what? They can handle it."

Meanwhile, McCain's wife, Cindy, said she doesn't agree with Palin's opposition to abortion in cases of rape and incest. She also parts ways with Palin on sex education.

Palin opposes abortion and rejects the view that pregnancies caused by rape and incest should be exceptions.

"I don't agree with that aspect, but I do respect her for her views," Cindy McCain told ABC's "Good Morning America" in an interview taped for broadcast Thursday.

Palin has opposed funding sex-education programs in Alaska. However, Cindy McCain told ABC that she advocated abstinence as a part of sex education at her children's school. "I believe that it's twofold and I think all of it should be taught," she said.

In a prime-time acceptance speech at the Republican National Convention, McCain was expected to review his career in public service — first as a Naval Academy midshipman and wartime pilot and then as a 26-year veteran of Congress — while drawing stark policy differences with Democratic candidate Barack Obama.

Democratic critics have questioned Palin's political experience as a small-town mayor and her brief tenure as Alaska's governor, but she turned the tables Wednesday night by offering a searing, sometimes sarcastic attack on the opposing ticket.

Biden complimented Palin for delivering an impressive speech with skill but said that issues important to Americans were missing from her remarks.

"I didn't hear the phrase 'middle class' mentioned, I didn't hear a word about health care. I didn't hear a single word about what we're going to do about the housing crisis, college education, all the things that the middle class is being burdened by now," Biden told CBS' "The Early Show."

"There was a deafening silence about the hole that the Republicans have dug us into and any specific answers as to how the McCain-Palin ticket is going to get us out of that hole," Biden said.

McCain's speech was expected to provide the climax to the four-day convention at the Xcel Energy Center. His wife, Cindy, admitted that she was nervous about addressing delegates herself.

"I'd like people to know what makes me work and what makes me tick and who I am, what I'm all about and where I come from," Cindy McCain told ABC. "I have an interesting story to tell as well in that it combines the two of us and makes us a couple and what we will represent."

Palin joined other Republican speakers Wednesday night in praising McCain as a man of character, a former Vietnam prisoner of war who had spent his early career in the military and had sought to change the ways of politics in Washington.

"In politics, there are some candidates who use change to promote their careers. And then there are those, like John McCain, who use their careers to promote change," said Palin, toying with the central theme in Obama's campaign.

Palin's 19-year-old son, Track, ships out for Iraq next week with his Army unit. The governor was unflinching as she contrasted McCain's military record with a lack of armed service by Obama and Biden.

"There is only one man in this election who has ever really fought for you in places where winning means survival and defeat means death — and that man is John McCain," she said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_convention_rdp

Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Sisikill: 4:35pm On Sep 04, 2008
Cindy McCain parts with Palin on abortion, sex ed

ST. PAUL, Minn. - The wife of Republican presidential nominee John McCain doesn't agree with vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin's opposition to abortion in cases of rape and incest.

Cindy McCain also parts ways with her husband's running mate on sex education.

Palin opposes abortion and rejects the view that pregnancies caused by rape and incest should be exceptions.

Cindy McCain tells ABC's "Good Morning America" that[b] "I don't agree with that aspect, but I do respect her for her views."[/b]

Palin has opposed funding sex-education programs in Alaska.

Cindy McCain tells ABC that she advocated abstinence as a part of sex education at her children's school. "I believe that it's twofold and I think all of it should be taught."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080904/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_palin_cindy_mccain

Sadly not agreeing but still respecting a person for their view is a foreign concept to some.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by JeSoul(f): 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2008
Sisikill:

Sadly not agreeing but still respecting a person for their view is a foreign concept to some.

Sadly. Foreign to too many.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by bawomolo(m): 11:59pm On Sep 04, 2008

what?
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by dreeldee: 12:20am On Sep 05, 2008
I'm an Obama supporter and i think the media should give Palin a break, leave her family out of politics like she said, every family has its own problem. To think that one of her children has the down syndrome and still alive, she's indeed exemplary. Even though, her pro life stand isn't too good, especially on incest and rape cases. In fact it shouldn't be a federal thing, individuals should be allowed to decide if they want to have an abortion or not.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by JeSoul(f): 12:38am On Sep 05, 2008
dreeldee:

I'm an Obama supporter and i think the media should give Palin a break, leave her family out of politics like she said, every family has its own problem. To think that one of her children has the down syndrome and still alive, she's indeed exemplary. Even though, her pro life stand isn't too good, especially on incest and rape cases. In fact it shouldn't be a federal thing, individuals should be allowed to decide if they want to have an abortion or not.
shocked shocked wow! a reasonable, level-headed and sensible Obama supporter! shocked you are a rare species my brotha and u have my respect.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by KarmaMod(f): 12:41am On Sep 05, 2008
or what?

They'll arrest the critics?

abeg make we hear word

Thank God Obama's daughters are still young else the Republicunts would have torn them to pieces
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by SeanT21(f): 2:06am On Sep 05, 2008
JeSoul:

shocked shocked wow! a reasonable, level-headed and sensible Obama supporter! shocked you are a rare species my brotha and u have my respect.

I rebuke that statement in the name of JESUS!!!

How about me? I got class too.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Kobojunkie: 5:38am On Sep 05, 2008
JeSoul:

Lol, I doubt he is really a democrat. It is quite rare to find one.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by JeSoul(f): 3:45pm On Sep 05, 2008
SeanT21:

I rebuke that statement in the name of JESUS!!!

How about me? I got class too.
cheesy SeanT you can't ask me that question, I like you so I can't give you an 'unprejudiced' answer smiley

Kobojunkie:

Lol, I doubt he is really a democrat. It is quite rare to find one.
oh so you think he's just an obama-guy not necessarily a Dem?
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Kobojunkie: 4:00pm On Sep 05, 2008
JeSoul:

oh so you think he's just an obama-guy not necessarily a Dem?

I am not sure. Following all the posts from those who seem to be Obamaniacs, I doubt this one can be one of them. Have you seen the points made by many of these? With the injection of Sarah Palin into the elections, suddenly we see that many of these are not just Obamaniacs but also sexists in disguise. I mean you seriously need to read what many of these have posted so far on her. You almost think you are dealing with fascists.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by JeSoul(f): 4:34pm On Sep 05, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I am not sure. Following all the posts from those who seem to be Obamaniacs, I doubt this one can be one of them. Have you seen the points made by many of these? With the injection of Sarah Palin into the elections, suddenly we see that many of these are not just Obamaniacs but also sexists in disguise. I mean you seriously need to read what many of these have posted so far on her. You almost think you are dealing with fascists.
I know, sad I too have been very dissappointed by some remarks from some NLers I thought had a level head on their shoulders. I guess their zeal and fanatical desire to see Obama "the one" in the white house suppresses and inhibits their ability to think and reason objectively and honestly. It's scary more than anything else.

The real question is why do they feel so threatened by Sarah Palin? to warrant these kinds of ferocious and venomous attacks?
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by dreeldee: 4:38pm On Sep 05, 2008
Kobojunkie:

did you read my comment before this? where in my comment on Sarah Palin was i being a sexist?
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Seun(m): 4:39pm On Sep 05, 2008
The real question is why do they feel so threatened by Sarah Palin?
to warrant these kinds of ferocious and venomous attacks?
They (we?) are afraid women will want to vote for Sarah just because she's a woman.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 05, 2008
dreeldee:

did you read my comment before this? where in my comment on Sarah Palin was i being a sexist?

Dont bother responding to such. I guess the new riposte when you question Palin's pick is "you're being an egocentric sexist". These people forget we would have supported Clinton all the same . . . she's female too in case they forgot.

We ask for Palin's record and all we've heard so far is "she plays hockey, she's a christian, she's a hard worker" . . . perhaps Mitt Romney is lazy and huckabee has no hands to play hockey.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Seun(m): 4:42pm On Sep 05, 2008
I'm an Obama supporter and i think the media should give Palin a break, leave her family out of politics like she said
If Obama's daughter was pregnant, do you think the Republicans would leave it out of the debate?
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 05, 2008
Seun:

They (we?) are afraid women will want to vote for Sarah just because she's a woman.

which is essentially why Sarah Palin was picked in the first place. Her very first speech was to congratulate clinton and pick out of her 18 million cracks in the ceiling playbook.

We understand McCain is desperate to win, dont lie to our faces in the bid to do so.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 05, 2008
Seun:

If Obama's daughter was pregnant, do you think the Republicans would leave it out of the debate?

my brother i tire for this people. Are these not the same people who crucified Obama over his pastor and called his wife a baby mama?
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by JeSoul(f): 4:52pm On Sep 05, 2008
dreeldee:

Dreel, I don't believe Kobo was refering to you in his comment.

Seun:

Lol. . . and what's wrong with that?  grin
Seun look at your forum here, look at african americans you see how many black people are 'voting' for Obama just because he is black? Why shouldn't the reps play the same game as well?
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by JeSoul(f): 4:56pm On Sep 05, 2008
I have a question for Obamaniacs,

Since Sarah Palin is such a horrible pick then why are you all so infuriated by it? If its a bad pick then McCain has shot himself in the foot and he will lose - abi no be so? If it's true she's got no experience, hasn't got anything of substance then she will fail. What I don't get is the level of venom that is being spewed on her & her fam, it's unwarranted, if she's nothing more than a hockey mom then Dems should be sleeping well for the next 59days.  Right? smiley
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Adonica(f): 4:57pm On Sep 05, 2008
Jeez that woman butchered Obama during her speech 2 nights ago.
was all that really necessary?

no offence but that woman is a doofus.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by TayoD1(m): 4:59pm On Sep 05, 2008
@Adonica,

Jeez that woman butchered Obama during her speech 2 nights ago.
was all that really necessary?
Why is it lost to you that it was Obama who took the first shot by belitling her record. Obama thought he had an easy pick but he got bitten real bad.

no offence but that woman is a doofus.
No offence taken. I can see you are all troubled because of her effectiveness.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by TayoD1(m): 5:01pm On Sep 05, 2008
@Seun,

Maybe not. But one thing is clear, Obama would have had that baby aborted. He doesn't want his daughter "punished" through having a baby. More reason why I could never vote for him.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Kobojunkie: 5:02pm On Sep 05, 2008
dreeldee:

May I suggest you go back, read my response and then tell me how you arrived at your claim that I accused you in particular of being a sexist.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by TayoD1(m): 5:05pm On Sep 05, 2008
@Davidylan,

which is essentially why Sarah Palin was picked in the first place. Her very first speech was to congratulate clinton and pick out of her 18 million cracks in the ceiling playbook.
palin was picked because of her record of standing up against special interests, just as McCain. Her primary role was to energize the base and unite the RNC. This she has done successfully. The icing on the cake is her ability to put the DNC in disarray.

We understand McCain is desperate to win, don't lie to our faces in the bid to do so.
You meant to say Obama is desperate to win. Obama was quoted as saying he does not intend to lose this election. McCain on the other hand is ready to lose the election rather than see his country lose a war. Obama, for political expediency voted to cut funding to the troops in battle. This is the same guy that now wants to be their Commander in Chief.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Seun(m): 5:12pm On Sep 05, 2008
McCain on the other hand is ready to lose the election rather than see his country lose a war.
It is not ok to waste millions human lives in order to save face.  Human life is more important than pride.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 05, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Seun,
Maybe not. But one thing is clear, Obama would have had that baby aborted. He doesn't want his daughter "punished" through having a baby. More reason why I could never vote for him.

How do you know that? you live in his head? What if the daughter wants to keep the baby? He'd put a gun to her head? And pple keep saying we are the ones being subjective. Give me a break pls.

Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
palin was picked because of her record of standing up against special interests, just as McCain. Her primary role was to energize the base and unite the RNC. This she has done successfully. The icing on the cake is her ability to put the DNC in disarray.

Lets not decieve ourselves. We know this is flatly lying.

Tayo-D:

You meant to say Obama is desperate to win. Obama was quoted as saying he does not intend to lose this election. McCain on the other hand is ready to lose the election rather than see his country lose a war. Obama, for political expediency voted to cut funding to the troops in battle. This is the same guy that now wants to be their Commander in Chief.

Obama has always voted to fund the war, infact it was one of the problems he had with those claiming he had flipflopped since he initially opposed the war.
No one spends so much money and energy to lose an election.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by TayoD1(m): 5:47pm On Sep 05, 2008
@Davidylan,

How do you know that? you live in his head? What if the daughter wants to keep the baby? He'D put a gun to her head? And people keep saying we are the ones being subjective. Give me a break please.
I don't live in his head, but i heard him say if his teenage daughter makes a mistake and get pregnant, he wouldn't want her to be "punished" with a baby. What does that mean to you?

Lets not decieve ourselves. We know this is flatly lying.
That may be your take on it, but her most important role was to unite the base. Why did Obama also picked Biden? Was it not to make an in-road into the middle-class? It's not McCain's fault that he checkmated Obama is it?

Obama has always voted to fund the war, infact it was one of the problems he had with those claiming he had flipflopped since he initially opposed the war.
Of course he was funding the war until the election btw him and hillary was so tight. He then voted against funding. Talk about political expediency.

No one spends so much money and energy to lose an election.
Does this apply only to Obama or to bothe of them?
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 05, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Davidylan,
I don't live in his head, but i heard him say if his teenage daughter makes a mistake and get pregnant, he wouldn't want her to be "punished" with a baby. What does that mean to you?

It simply means - if i had my way i'd allow my daughter to remove the pregnancy if she so wishes. I'm sure he knows his daughter has a right to keep the baby if she wanted to.

Tayo-D:

That may be your take on it, but her most important role was to unite the base. Why did Obama also picked Biden? Was it not to make an in-road into the middle-class? It's not McCain's fault that he checkmated Obama is it?

- Her most important role was to draw clinton voters, no question about that. All this nonsense talk of "uniting the base" holds no water. As VP, she'll have to do more than just "unite the base". That is the REAL ISSUE here.

- Biden was picked for his vast wealth of foreign policy experience. If it was solely about middle class, Biden won close to zero support from them during the democratic primaries . . . Clinton would have been the far better choice.

Tayo-D:

Of course he was funding the war until the election between him and hillary was so tight. He then voted against funding. Talk about political expediency.

when did he vote not to fund the war? Pls i need hard evidence. Its becoming plain most of you dont even know what you're talking about but merely parroting right wing talking points.

Obama voted against funding the war BECAUSE it did not include a clear timetable for withdrawal. Note: he didnt vote to stop funding the troops. Get your facts right. its the most basic rule of debate.

Tayo-D:

Does this apply only to Obama or to bothe of them?

both.
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by nila07: 6:05pm On Sep 05, 2008
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by RichyBlacK(m): 11:06pm On Sep 05, 2008
Tayo-D:

@Seun,

@Tayo-D,

So you're against abortion (same with me) and pro-life (same with me), but why is it that:

1. Republicans only care about life when it's inside a woman's womb?
2. Republicans will gleefully put a man to death based on questionable evidence?
3. Support the death penalty?
4. Launch and sustain wars to kill innocent civilians in far way lands?
5. Fight against bills that severely punish hate crimes?
6. Are against universal health care for every American?
etc.

Could it be that Republicans only care about the legality of abortion because they view it as a way of "punishing" women who have indulged in the sin of fornication?
Re: Biden Says Palin Family Is Off Limits To Critics by KarmaMod(f): 5:39am On Sep 06, 2008
[quote author=RichyBlacK link=topic=167657.msg2761284#msg2761284 date=1220652405
1. Republicans only care about life when it's inside a woman's womb?
2. Republicans will gleefully put a man to death based on questionable evidence?
3. Support the death penalty?
4. Launch and sustain wars to kill innocent civilians in far way lands?
5. Fight against bills that severely punish hate crimes?
6. Are against universal health care for every American?
etc.

Could it be that Republicans only care about the legality of abortion because they view it as a way of "punishing" women who have indulged in the sin of fornication?
[/quote]

hehehhe grin I'd like to see the answers to this as well cheesy

As for the bolded part, I thought everyone knew that was the reason. wink

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top Ten AFRICAN puppets / China Is Building Its First Military Base In Africa. America Should Be Nervous. / Ukraine Crys Putin's' Forces Have 'encircled' Ukrainian Soldiers In The East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.