Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,922 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:49 PM

Starting Up A Forum - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Starting Up A Forum (1823 Views)

A Forum For All Nigerian Students / Why Startup Dot Coms Shouldn't Scout For Venture Capital Before Starting Up / How Do I Create A Forum On My Website? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Starting Up A Forum by sleekdude1(m): 8:56am On Sep 06, 2008
Hi guys

i was just wandering, how can one get a forum website , like this of nairaland(because i learned he didnt generate the site just like that, it was already in existent, all he did was to add all these features to it and modify some things). because am looking forward to starting something like this.
       Guys girls , any clue? Please share if u do. Thanks
Re: Starting Up A Forum by SeanT21(f): 1:52pm On Sep 06, 2008
I have no idea.

e-mail SEUN!!!
Re: Starting Up A Forum by uspry1(f): 3:19pm On Sep 06, 2008
Go NL WEBMASTER board, there are LOT OF "How To Set Up Forum site", "Where Do I get Forum Site", "Where Do I get SMF with Google Adsense", "Where Do I get PHPBB site?", goes on,

All you need to purchase your own hosting site, your own domain name, and your own forum template installation to your hosting site.

Once, done, you are FULLY IN CHARGE OF your own forum site as administrator AT YOUR OWN SPARE TIME in 7 days a week everyday. Be aware in fact there are blank forum site after installation, you will need to add new boards, child board, topics, etc. under SMF ADMIN control panel YOURSELF.

You also need to obtain any add-on modules such as Google Adsense, Chat Room, etc. from your forum site where you originally download the template in the first place. You need to know little PHP/HTML coding modification to use modules add-on basically.

Your forum site won't be like Seun's NL site, I mean BRING 200,000 MEMBERS, you will work harder to do marketing your forum promotions to your friends, schools, and family join your forum YOURSELF---SPREAD YOUR WORD ABOUT YOUR FORUM SITE!

Good luck!
Re: Starting Up A Forum by sleekdude1(m): 10:12pm On Sep 06, 2008
@uspry1 and sean t21.
i thank u guys 4 ur contribution, marketing the forum is no biggie,WHAT IF i dont have any knowledge on php/html, is there any oda way out?
but the rest i can handle. thanks again guys
Re: Starting Up A Forum by uspry1(f): 1:24am On Sep 07, 2008
sleek dude:

@uspry1 and sean t21.
i thank u guys 4 your contribution, marketing the forum is no biggie,WHAT IF i don't have any knowledge on php/html, is there any oda way out?
but the rest i can handle. thanks again guys

If you have no knowledge on php/html in order to get your forum site started, there are many of its own community forums site (help, how-to, technical support, etc.) as well as hundred "How-to" e-books, youtube video tutorials,  online tutorials, and forum experts out there.

Alternative way of no knowledge on php/html installing your forum site is hire an experienced PHP programmer with Forum installation fluent to do the job for you. You have to pay his/her service rendered on forum installation with custom HTML/PHP-based add-on modules. Some are willing for free! Hard to find someone accept for free forum installation with add-on modules!!!

Actually it is not hard to learn basic PHP/HTML add-on modules as long as you follow the instructions from ebook, helpline forum or video tutorial.

Good luck!!!
Re: Starting Up A Forum by sleekdude1(m): 3:24am On Sep 07, 2008
THANKS, I THINK I WILL HIRE SOME1 FOR THAT, BUT CAN I GET TO OPERATE IT MY SELF, AS IN MONITOR THE WHOLE SITE 24/7. HAVING TOTAL CONTROL OVER IT?
Re: Starting Up A Forum by uspry1(f): 1:06pm On Sep 07, 2008
All you do is:
[list]
[*]Get the host first that has Fantastico Deluxe support.

[*]Logon to their cpanel.

[*]Click on Fantastico deluxe.

[*]Look for smf on the left side of the screen.

[*]Click on it and follow the instructions.
[/list]

There is a video tutorial showing you how to install SMF with Fantastico Deluxe via cpanel accessible at below link:

http://tutorials.ausweb.com.au/web/Tutorials/Fantastico-Scripts/Install-SMF-with-Fantastico/

Enjoy learning your new rope of installing SMF with Fantastico Deluxe! cool
Re: Starting Up A Forum by sleekdude1(m): 2:17am On Sep 08, 2008
@uspry1
i really want to thank you a great deal for this, i really do appreciate. Thanks, i still have lots of questions to ask though. well since you wouldnt want to make ur email adress public, could you please email moi on lacicrips@yahoo.com, or sleekestdude@yahoo.com, add me to your messanger list so we can chat.
i visited the web site and i saw the video display on how its been done but didnt sign up for it yet as i still need to make other prep for it. So after downloading, wat then is the next step. Am expecting your email. thanks 1nce again.

ciao!
Re: Starting Up A Forum by uspry1(f): 4:03pm On Sep 08, 2008
You are more than welcome! However right now I am with current client working on her e-commerce integration installation on her new hosting site.

I will be contacted you via your email next week on Sept 15th answering to your questions as much as you can as soon as my work project has completed!

If you can't wait further, then i recommend you to contact @Sam Milla to help you the best he can. He is excellent SMF consultant/helper with his SMF/WordPress/Fantastico Deluxe/hosting with cpanel knowledge.
Re: Starting Up A Forum by sleekdude1(m): 12:18am On Sep 09, 2008
@USPRY1
thanks alot for the reference but it is you i need, i guess i have no choice to wait on you, besides, i dont know this guy you are talking about-total stranger, no contact info on him. well done at ur work though!, do u have a website?

(1) (Reply)

Phpbb / Which Simple Machine Forum Version Does This? / Noobs Php Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.