Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,684 members, 7,823,924 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 06:35 PM

NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp (6278 Views)

Tony Elumelu In The Gym At Transcorp Hotel / CBN Celebrates Its "Achievements" At Transcorp Hilton (photos) / An Aerial View Of Nicon Nuga Hilton (Now Transcorp Hotel) Abuja In 1987 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by Mariory(m): 9:31am On Jul 04, 2006
Nitel has been bought by Transcorp with BT (British telecom) as a Technical partner. Finally! Here's hoping the partnership can turn NItel around.

Transcorp Acquires NITEL and MTEL for $750 million in purchase price - BT to Provide Technical Services in the Turnaround
http://www.transcorpnigeria.com/newsevents.asp
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by ono(m): 10:28am On Jul 04, 2006
I heard OBJ has a significant equity stake in Transcorp. If that's true, then what on earth is this mumbo jumbo trasparency about his administration?
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by Jakumo(m): 12:20pm On Jul 04, 2006
With the arrival of cell phone networks in Nigeria, NITEL, that lumbering dinosaur from a forgotten era that held the country to ransom for decades by ensuring that telephones never worked, should be allowed to sink gracefully into the tar-pits of final bankruptcy and extinction.

As long overdue retribution for their lives of unrepentant crime, all those redundant NITEL employees ought to be rounded up and shipped to slave labor camps to work 18 hour days in the blazing sun breaking stones with their bony craniums under the watchfull eye of sadistic whip-wielding overseers. Privatizing and rehiring such vermin would only prove that there is no justice in this world. Those scum-buckets need to be put out of their misery along with the deceased demon they served, NITEL.
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by ono(m): 12:31pm On Jul 04, 2006
Bros Jakumo,
Nice one there. Hilarious as ever!
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by Nutter(m): 1:03pm On Jul 04, 2006
ono:

I heard OBJ has a significant equity stake in Transcorp. If that's true, then what on earth is this mumbo jumbo trasparency about his administration?

Otokx, take note!
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by Chxta(m): 5:50pm On Jul 04, 2006
This thread belongs in the business section
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by otokx(m): 7:27pm On Jul 05, 2006
@Nutter

why should i take note? what have to do with this?
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by Nutter(m): 7:41pm On Jul 05, 2006
You once said an individual single-handedly bought Nicon-Noga.
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by Seun(m): 7:53pm On Jul 05, 2006
Let's compare the purchase price to the amount that was rejected during the last auctions.
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by hotangel2(f): 8:02pm On Jul 05, 2006
So what happens to the employees at NITEL?
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by diddy4(m): 8:05pm On Jul 05, 2006
they finally stole nitel huh? well, their ties hsnt come yet. it will still come. let baba be doing.

all i need is a sniper rifle. and i will kill everyone of them theives. they don steal enuff.
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by hotangel2(f): 8:08pm On Jul 05, 2006
NITEL had to be privatised cos it really 'lost business' when all these GSMs Showed up. They thought they could pick their business up by bringing out their own GSM, which was called "M-Net" if im right?

I guess it just had to be privatised. undecided
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by diddy4(m): 8:10pm On Jul 05, 2006
not by baba buying it with our money. why not give it to people capable of resurrecting it. must baba have a hand in everything. with his stomach like bore hole. angry angry
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by obua: 8:17pm On Jul 05, 2006
It is good Transcorp is buying 75% of Nitel for $750M + N60billion in debts is alot. Orascom wanted it for barely $280m.
Secondly Transcorp is not owned by Baba. It is a PLC. Right now Transcorp is doing a public offer, so you can take part. Already a private placement have done and was successful.
Infact we should rejoice that Nitel has been sold.
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by OldGlory1(m): 8:23pm On Jul 05, 2006
Obua

OK i am rejoicing NITEL has been sold!!!! I hope TRANSCORP is not government influenced, and i wish the New company all the best. Nigerians deserve better service when it comes to communication.
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by hotangel2(f): 8:26pm On Jul 05, 2006
Nobody answered me oo.

What will happen to the present NITEL employees?
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by OldGlory1(m): 8:30pm On Jul 05, 2006
Hot angel

I am sure some will be absorbed by the new company and the rest will be fired.
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by hotangel2(f): 8:33pm On Jul 05, 2006
Wow, ain't that a b!tch? angry
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by obua: 8:36pm On Jul 05, 2006
About 70% of them will go with terminal benefits. The best way is to retrain and  prepare for other activities
If Nitel will have to wake up from an agelong slumber, fresh blood will have to be injected. All Govt firms are overstaffed.
 We  can only be competitive by using modern business methods like outsourcing non core jobs and focussing on core activities.
In the company I work for , we have very few secretaries and no messengers and typists. Every body is a messenger for himself.
In Nitel, you still have typists, messengers  etc.
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by kbstar(m): 9:06pm On Jul 05, 2006
Corruption in Nigeria is a kind of permanent condition. When you say no condition is permanent, thats for our public enterprises of which Nitel is one.

Lets observe the change, carefully.
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by Roscodaddy(m): 9:15pm On Jul 05, 2006
Obj well done you have done it again,those your fingers,I wonder when they will stop itching,how long do you have on earth,that you want to acquire the whole Nigeria,well do not worry about who will take care of the world when you are gone,think of those that took care of it before you came into it.Ole
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by kbstar(m): 9:22pm On Jul 05, 2006
ROSCODADDY:

Obj well done you have done it again,those your fingers,I wonder when they will stop itching,how long do you have on earth,that you want to acquire the whole Nigeria,well do not worry about who will take care of the world when you are gone,think of those that took care of it before you came into it.Ole

They came, they saw and they achieved(?) but are not prepared to leave nothing for the coming generations lipsrsealed
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by obua: 9:22pm On Jul 05, 2006
L&G,
I do not hold brief for OBJ in any way and  do not support all his programmes.
But I must confess he has made fundamental changes in the way things are done in Nigeria. I might not score hime a pass mark because much more was expected.
But we must confess that OBJ has made reasonable progress compared to those before him. Secondly ,there are almost no stories about  his corrupt practices.
A government owned Nitel has not been able to pay salaries for months  now. Nitel only survived by charging high tarrifs  especially for foreign calls and keeping away phones and other IT services away from the main populace
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by beyonce1(f): 9:44pm On Jul 05, 2006
I do not really see any BIG DEAL in British Telecom B.T's involvement , with so much competitions against them in England where else do expect them to invest in ? undecided
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by Seun(m): 11:14pm On Jul 05, 2006
Hot-angel, I have no problem with the mass firing of the under-performing employees of NITEL (and NEPA).

Under-performing employees deserve to be fired. Under-performing companies deserve to be dissolved. That is the path that leads to progress. The resources that are being tied up by under-performers need to be released!
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by diddy4(m): 11:19pm On Jul 05, 2006
i am with you on that one.

why have resources you dont need just there for no sake? maximize labour and maximize profit. over labour can slow than profit.
labour and profit go together. the quality of labour will determine the quantity of profit. labour is quality not quantity.

there are many modern ways of doing things and naija is lacking in those areas.
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by dipotepede(m): 9:28am On Jul 06, 2006
This is a news for the Nigerian Populace. It really doesn't matter the hidden agenda behind the deal as long as the socio-economic landscape of the country is revived and revolutionized,
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by micklplus(m): 10:05am On Jul 06, 2006
It a good thing that Transcorp have taken over NITEL as we expect a good and quality services from them !

Well, NITEL's been sold . Now that old things have passed away, all things have become new, whats the fate of NITEL?
Some staff has to go and very young, articulate,focused and result oriented people must be sourced to be in that organisation.

Another good thing is that, our stolen funds remains here ! jobs creations. economic development ! healthy competition that leads to improved service delivery, efficiency and in general, stronger communication sector of the economy.

Ofcourse,trancorp is government influenced especially when some key government officers has stakes in transcorp but, its all good for naija as funds syphoned is re - invested in the same economy.

i should think British telecom would inject the professionalism required, right?

dipotepede:

This is a news for the Nigerian Populace. It really doesn't matter the hidden agenda behind the deal as long as the socio-economic landscape of the country is revived and revolutionized,

Good talk wink

Lets keep our fingers crossed as to what the performance would be like.

Best of luck to them !

Cheers
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by Mariory(m): 10:06am On Jul 06, 2006
N6 billion scam discovered at Nitel.

Less than 24 hours after the privatisation of the troubled NITEL, a gale of financial malfeasance running into billions of Naira ripped opened at the Abuja headquarters of the organisation triggering the sudden resignation of eight of its top management staff.
http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2006/july/06/national-06-07-2006-008.htm
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by micklplus(m): 10:25am On Jul 06, 2006
Good development ! we could be sure more of such things would be revealed !
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by belloti(m): 10:34am On Jul 06, 2006
There are a lot of competent well trained staff in Nitel that counld be motivated to bring out their best this time. But ofcourse 70% of the aging and unqualified staff are heading home with their severance allowances to boost other sectors of the economy. most are going into modern farming, poultry, snails and fish breedings.

Its a significant and laudable development. And Transcorp is purely a private initiative, OBJ may have a stake in his private capacity, it shouldnt be a problem to any one
Re: NITEL Privatised: Bought By Transcorp by Ka: 11:06am On Jul 06, 2006
NITEL bought by Transcorp.

My reaction: So freaking WHAT?

NITEL has already sunk into irrelevance with the advent of private phone operators, so I could care less who owns them or what they do. I don't have any confidence in Transcorp anyway, since it appears to be a Frankenstein's monster kind of corporation - created by government fiat with Nigerian businessmen [who already have their own companies in which their primary interests lie] as directors.

Perhaps NITEL will drive the expansion of a data network infrastructure by laying fibre optic cables so that internet access costs will fall,  but I don't think so - I think their primary concern will be making money quickly from easy-to-setup mobile voice networks. Anyway, I think Globacom are already ahead of them as far as rolling out fibre optic cables is concerned.

Yep, I could freaking care less. . .

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Need A Comprehensive Business Plan For Cold Room / How To Open A Bank Account In Nigeria When Not Resident / Download 25 Best Business Books EVER For Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.