Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,204 members, 7,822,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

Different genres Of Nigerian Music - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Different genres Of Nigerian Music (8151 Views)

Defining The Different Genres Of Music / 10 Genres Of Music And Their Favorite Fans / Can I Download Nigerian Music From the Internet? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Different genres Of Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 7:52pm On Sep 11, 2008
Hi y'all. At school today, we were asked to list as many as possible, the types of music from our culture.

That was when I realized that I didn't really know Nigerian music genres. Well, I mentioned a couple I've heard of such as fuji and juju although I don't really know what they sound like.

I could ask my parents but they'D probably give me only music from the igbo culture. I don't need it for school anymore but for knowledge of the Nigerian music and culture.

Hopefully, other people would learn from here.
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Shaz(f): 8:07pm On Sep 11, 2008
You coulda asked, you know . .
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 9:22pm On Sep 11, 2008
Shaz:

You coulda asked, you know . .
I know, girl. I was just looking for a general opinion.

Still waiting. . .
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Baro(m): 1:14pm On Sep 12, 2008
Highlife, Afrobeat, Afro juju, Ekasa

2 Likes

Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 9:31pm On Sep 12, 2008
@Baro, thanks. I never heard of the "Ekasa" one but I got the rest.

Well, from the number of replies compared to the # of views, I can deduce that Nigeria never really had much music except the imported ones. So, I guess it wasn't really my fault for not knowing.
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Baro(m): 11:28pm On Sep 12, 2008
Akpala
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Morenike3(f): 3:01am On Sep 13, 2008
afro juju? apkala? are you ppl for real?
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 3:26am On Sep 13, 2008
@Morenike*. . .what do you mean by are we for real? No be genres of Nigerian music? Google even said the same thing. . Not that I trust it. undecided

1 Like

Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Morenike3(f): 3:27am On Sep 13, 2008
Just asking, I've never heard of them b4
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by doyin13(m): 3:29am On Sep 13, 2008
*Morenike:

Just asking, I've never heard of them before

You are helping prove that you are an Egufe tongue tongue tongue grin
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Morenike3(f): 3:30am On Sep 13, 2008
Which one is Egufe again?
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 3:33am On Sep 13, 2008
LOL@*Morenike, I guess we're in the same shoes but I think I'm better than you. lipsrsealed
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Morenike3(f): 3:34am On Sep 13, 2008
Yea, when it comes to naija music. No offense but they sux
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by doyin13(m): 3:36am On Sep 13, 2008
*Morenike:

Which one is Egufe again?

Egufe is the feminine of EWURE, the brother to EKUTE
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Morenike3(f): 3:40am On Sep 13, 2008
doyin13:

Oh now I get it, you're ekute tongue
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by dreeldee: 3:44am On Sep 13, 2008
has anyone seen Onyinye today, hurricane ikechukwu shocked shocked grin grin

@post Afro reggae wink
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by dreeldee: 3:45am On Sep 13, 2008
doyin13:

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Morenike3(f): 3:45am On Sep 13, 2008
Am just glad it didn't come over here

dreeldee kiss kiss
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Morenike3(f): 3:46am On Sep 13, 2008
dreeldee:

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Not funny angry angry

But seriously, what is egufe?
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by dreeldee: 3:47am On Sep 13, 2008
that's hella funny cheesy cheesy seriously, did u see Onyinye today, hurricane ikechukwu  cheesy

@post yoruba wink
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Morenike3(f): 3:48am On Sep 13, 2008
You didn't see her making trouble on the other thread?
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by doyin13(m): 3:48am On Sep 13, 2008
Yes oo. . .@topic

You should give AXE a try.

It is brazilian but with a strong element of Yoruba.

The names of prominent exponents will indicate this.

Olodum (from Olodumare), Ilu Aiye, etc. . . .
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by dreeldee: 3:50am On Sep 13, 2008
*Morenike:

You didn't see her making trouble on the other thread?

naw i hope that ikechukwu doesn't come here, we're bordered by houston

@post Juju
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 3:51am On Sep 13, 2008
[Quote]Yea, when it comes to naija music. No offense but they sux[/quote]

@*Morenike, dayum! How could you say that? This is the mentality we have which makes us to not know music from our culture. I know haitian-Americans who know and appreciate their music and I personally don't think their music is better than Nigeria's.

The only Nigerian music that are appreciated are usually the imported ones such as hip hop which a 5-yr old can tell you did not originate from Nigeria or Africa as a whole. If I write hip hop and r & b, what will the AAs now write? Or if I write reggae, what would the Jamaicans do? Man. . . I tire for naija people and their copy-copy. That's why I want the real nigerian music genres.

@yeah, to those of you who are here to have side-conversations, please, this isn't the place. So, y'all can kindly go to the "romance" section.
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by doyin13(m): 3:53am On Sep 13, 2008
dreeldee:

So you live in Tijuana
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Morenike3(f): 3:55am On Sep 13, 2008
dreeldee:

I hope it doesn't come there, well takia.
Bed a' calling

chiogo:

@*Morenike, dayum! How can you say that? This is the mentality we have which makes us to not know music from our culture. I know haitian-Americans who know and appreciate their music and I personally don't think their music is better than Nigeria's.

The only Nigerian music that are appreciated are usually the imported ones such as hip hop which a 5-yr old can tell u did not originate from Nigeria or Africa as a whole. If I write hip hop and r & b, what will the AAs now write? Or if I write reggae, what would the Jamaicans do? ManI tire for naija people and their copy-copy. That's why I want the real nigerian music genres.

@yeah, to those of you who are here to have side-conversations, please, this isn't the place. So, y'all can kindly go to the "romance" section.
It does not have to do with mentality or what not. It has to do with preference. I prefer rock music to all their rap/hip pop etc.
The only Nigerian GENRE I can bare listening to is the gospel. Yoruba gospel. Apart from that, you would not catch me dead listening to 9ice, or w/e.

Ok, 2face used to be my doug, but now. . . . . nah
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by dreeldee: 3:56am On Sep 13, 2008
chiogo:

@*Morenike, dayum! How can you say that? This is the mentality we have which makes us to not know music from our culture. I know haitian-Americans who know and appreciate their music and I personally don't think their music is better than Nigeria's.

The only Nigerian music that are appreciated are usually the imported ones such as hip hop which a 5-yr old can tell u did not originate from Nigeria or Africa as a whole. If I write hip hop and r & b, what will the AAs now write? Or if I write reggae, what would the Jamaicans do? ManI tire for naija people and their copy-copy. That's why I want the real nigerian music genres.

cheesy cheesy cheesy madame no vex, i like nigerian music too and i think the music industry is getting better even though they do a lot of "sampling"

doyin13:

So you live in Tijuana
lmao! naw that's far away cheesy
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 4:03am On Sep 13, 2008
Rock music coo
@*morenike, well I do agree with you on the Tuface thingy. I used to like him but uhh,. . .homeboy got wack overnight. Anyway, I'm playing his song "African queen' next week in music class,. . .still a nice song and kind of has the african flavor, . .whatever that means.

@dreeldee, no problem.
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by Morenike3(f): 4:04am On Sep 13, 2008
Lol, you'll be singing his song?
Hehehe, I wish I could be there. Rock on sistah
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by chiogo(f): 4:10am On Sep 13, 2008
Lolololol, singing his song?? Hell naw. I said playing it, unless they got a male version of 'african queen'. . .I can't sing that either- too shy. Anywayz, we were asked to play it. I've had it on my ipod for a while now so I'D just play it.
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by doyin13(m): 4:15am On Sep 13, 2008
Afro funk. . .
[flash=425,380]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I76N9Ml3ds&hl=en&fs=1"[/flash]
Re: Different genres Of Nigerian Music by A40(m): 5:08am On Sep 13, 2008
Afro hip hop thats the lamest excuse most Nigerian artistes use to create whack music they say they are singing Afro hip-hop so i bet a Chinese would say he is doing Chinese hip hop or and so on

(1) (2) (Reply)

Reminisce ft Olamide & Endia - Government / My Sweetie My Sugar / Lil Wayne Says “the World Will End In 2012″

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.