Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,197 members, 7,825,760 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? (5307 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by obongyi: 6:40pm On Sep 15, 2008
I don't understand,why do men have to pay the bride price of a woman,when she would still have children and enjoy his money.please I need to know why
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by rampagain: 6:54pm On Sep 15, 2008
ask kanu nwankwo
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by 8ball(m): 6:58pm On Sep 15, 2008
obongyi:

I don't understand,why do men have to pay the bride price of a woman,when she would still have children and enjoy his money.please I need to know why

Dumb question !,y not ask the elders in yo town.

m sure they got v best answers
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by Sisikill: 7:01pm On Sep 15, 2008
To gain rightful ownership and use of her. You can think of it as paying rent to accommodate his children in her, paying for housecleaning services like you would a maid and paying for sexual services like you would a prostitute.
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by rampagain: 7:24pm On Sep 15, 2008
d poster(obongyi a.k.a oby) is talking about kanu,u pple r here answering her questions
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by ifyalways(f): 8:32pm On Sep 15, 2008
Oby/OP biko gwam,o gi bu nwada ahu Papilo hapuru ga luo Amarachi?
o dikwara gi egwu undecided
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by rampagain: 9:00pm On Sep 15, 2008
ifyalways:

Oby/OP biko gwam,o gi bu nwada ahu Papilo hapuru ga luo Amarachi?
o dikwara gi egwu  undecided

onye ka iche na obu?  ooo oby bu onyean  ,na today wink oka na fu ya nfu na papilo rapu ru ya ga luo amara
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by ifyalways(f): 9:05pm On Sep 15, 2008
lol
o burkwa eziokwu then o bu nwanne m nwanyi embarassed onye Papilo rapuru ga luo Amarachi bu onye arogod,amara kwa bu onye arogod,kama o bu di girl ffu.ckuru up.aha di girl bu Amaka,anyway,theres nothing onye o bula can do now,o dila 3 late grin Amarachi has come to stay
Obongyl abi na Oby,ndo.look for someone else or create another Papilo for yaself. grin
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by rampagain: 9:09pm On Sep 15, 2008
lmao ify u funny ooo,but truly obu ya fuckuru up,anyways oby ,amarachi is here to stay ,shes not going anywhere not even in d next 100 yrs grin dont worry chukwu will compensate u ,in due timegrin

na u Bleep up,onwero ife amara mere grin
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by ifyalways(f): 9:11pm On Sep 15, 2008
lol
okwu nkasi obi

if he no bi papilo,he can never play,act and pay like papilo grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by ssRhino: 9:14pm On Sep 15, 2008
God and ask your Dada, cos i am sure he paid it too.
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by rampagain: 9:15pm On Sep 15, 2008
ify onye ojoo,it took me time to find out who obongyi is grin  d day i knew i no fit laff tire grin

oby its never too late,chukwu nonyere gi,nyengi nkasi obi,and compensate u in due time
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by 8ball(m): 10:28pm On Sep 15, 2008
rampagain:

d poster(obongyi a.k.a oby) is talking about kanu,u people r here answering her questions

wat an artistic way of berating yo kind !
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by adekennis(m): 8:18am On Sep 16, 2008
angry onye machi chuku nu megi asiso mechukwu na pogi
obun tuchu mara otun n negi obo iya yin na obuso aha diri
ori poster ti daru pogiiiii!! cheesy wink
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 16, 2008
Na wa oh!! Poster this thing wey Ify them dey talk na true?? If na ture odikwa very very unfortunate grin grin grin

Abeg get a life joo, forget the guy, thats life for you s**t happens!! kiss
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by benice2: 9:58am On Sep 16, 2008
shocked shocked all of una no well oh! na 4 nairaland una go come they gossip wit una language.
if everybody they use their language confusion go they o.

but if una want make we start am i go start am o.
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by GoldCircle: 1:28pm On Sep 16, 2008
@poster.
to answer your question, in traditional African societies, the exchange of cowries (money) signified that indeed a contract had been sealed. The volume or amount at that time was not so significant, provided that there was an exchange of cowries. so in marrying a wife, a man was expected to pay some dowry in the form of cowries so as to seal the contract! this also explains why in modern times, the family of a divorcee must have to return the initial dowry that was paid on their daughter at marry before that particular lady can remarry and the former marriage nullified. the refund thus signifies the termination of the contract.

to buttress this, you may have heard also that in traditional African societies, one could not be bewitched by food expressly paid for! this is because, once money has exchange hand, it becomes a binding contract between two persons. Also note that money in traditional African societies was said to have a potent force capable of notifying undertones that were not expressly stated when the contract was brokered. for instance, if a little school boy buys fried fish from an old witch along the road and indeed pays for the fish by exchanging a standardized means of payment for the fish; such a school child cannot be bewitched as the money he has exchanged is capable of nullifying whatever curses and witchcraft that may have been placed on the item bought!

Hope i have answered your question?
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by bawomolo(m): 12:39am On Sep 17, 2008
women should pay the bride price just like in india cool
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by Morenike3(f): 1:01am On Sep 17, 2008
bawomolo:

women should pay the bride price just like in india cool
you wish!
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by Queenisha: 1:49am On Sep 17, 2008
gini n'akpotu hia?
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by hunniebomb(f): 5:42pm On Sep 17, 2008
like in my family, the guy pays a huge bride price (signifying that he can take care of their daughter) but the money is returned to the guy with the statement that they are not selling their daughter.

different families have different rules and reasons on bride price.
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by slimfine(f): 2:45am On Dec 27, 2008
it is called tradition. it doesn't have to make sense why is there but is there to stay. if you are a women and igbo, you may just pack your bags an go to your husbands to be place without your bride price being paid. You will find out that will not have any respect from him and his people as time goes on.
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by KB1(m): 2:52am On Dec 27, 2008
Because they're forced to.
Re: Why Do Men Pay The Bride Price Of A Woman? by lucabrasi(m): 5:14am On Dec 27, 2008
think it has to do with showing the worth of the woman,doesnt necessarily mean the man is paying for the woman because u cant put a price on human life male or female and all the ethnicities have varying forms of bride price both in cash and kind

(1) (Reply)

Weird Facts From Around The World / Ònkà - The ABC Of Yorùbá Numerals / Did The Igbo's Migrate From Isreal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.