Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,123 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:32 AM

How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? (2509 Views)

BBM For PC Download, Blackberry Messenger For Windows7/8/vista Computer / Windows Vista Tweaks for Optimal System Performance / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by flyuche(m): 1:33am On Sep 18, 2008
If you wish to install Windows XP on a computer that comes with Windows Vista already installed then you will have to create a separate partition on your hard drive to install Windows XP onto. This effectively splits the hard drive into two, and keeps the different versions of Windows separate. To do this you need to open up the Computer Management screen by going to the Start menu and then right-clicking on Computer and selecting Manage.

From the Computer Management screen select Disk Management, right-click on your main hard disk where Windows Vista is installed and then select Shrink Volume. This opens up a window where you can choose how large you want the new drive partition for Windows XP to be. You need to select the size of the new partition carefully, as you will need enough space to be able to install Windows XP successfully (around 10 gigabytes) whilst leaving enough space for Windows Vista. After you have selected the appropriate amount of space click on the Shrink button to begin the process, and once that has completed you should be able to right-click on the new partition (which should be labelled “Unallocated free space”) and select New Simple Volume. Follow the on-screen instructions to configure the partition, set a drive letter (such as E:\), give it a meaningful name such as “XP”, and then restart your computer. Whilst your computer reboots, access the BIOS and change to boot sequence to boot from your CD/DVD Drive before any other device, insert your Windows XP installation disc and then save and exit from BIOS. You will then be taken to the Windows XP installation program where you should follow the instructions until you come to the screen asking you which partition to install Windows XP to. Make sure you select the new partition and not the one with Windows Vista installed, as this will cause problems. Once Windows XP has finished installing, you will notice that Windows XP loads up automatically, rather than giving you the choice of which operating system to use. To rectify this insert your Windows Vista installation disc and restart the computer to access the Windows Vista installation program. From the Install Now screen select Repair My Computer, and then select your Windows Vista installation and then Startup Repair. You will now be able to choose which operating system to use when your computer starts up.
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by Djcn: 10:30pm On Sep 18, 2008
Thanks for that detailed explanation. But sometimes after the initial file copy, when Windows XP reboots and loads up the GUI-based component of the install. You may get the following error: “A disk read error occurred – press Ctrl-Alt-Del to continue”. This is caused by a corrupt bootloader. Just repair the vista boot loader and continue the XP installation as explained above. You can also modify the vista boot configuration setup to change the "previous version of windows" to Winxp or what ever name u desire and even dispay ur pictures during bootup process?
Hope every one can work this out?

Has anyone tried ever tried installing 4 operating systems for your computer system. i've only tried 3, Ubuntu, Winxp and Vista maybe i get down with Mac OSX and see if it will work out,
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by RichDad1(m): 5:58am On Sep 19, 2008
Hahaha,
U guyz are wonderful .thanks a million cool cool
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by DualCore1: 10:57am On Sep 19, 2008
bad boys grin grin
nice tut.

Djcn:

Has anyone tried ever tried installing 4 operating systems for your computer system. i've only tried 3, Ubuntu, Winxp and Vista maybe i get down with Mac OSX and see if it will work out,
yeap, 4 windows OS and Fedora.
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by Djcn: 1:49pm On Sep 19, 2008
@dualcore pls can u list all the OS
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by DualCore1: 2:05pm On Sep 19, 2008
win98
win2k
winxp
sever2003
Fedora.

vista comes into the picture once in a while.
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by evorebirth(m): 11:42pm On Sep 21, 2008
For those of you who have new model latops and have the error "No disk Found" or something like that when installing windows xp on a vista system, the easy soultion is to enter into your bios and look for Native Serial ATA Support or something with the words SATA [Serial ATA], this field will be enabled by default and since windows XP was made before they started producing SATA drives it can not recognise such drives, Hence disabling this will allow ur Windows Xp CD see the Systems HDD [Hard Disk Drive] and a normal IDE and will permit installation,
I recommend that after installation of XP, you update your driver for the Hard drive which u can get from your Systems Manufactures website then enable Serial ATA from the bios again, if not u will not be able to get the best out of the drive,
Need any more info on this u can mail me sync_maximus at yahoo dot com grin
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by Arcabdul: 12:19am On Dec 17, 2008
can't find SATA in bios
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by netotse(m): 1:15am On Dec 17, 2008
some computers jst wont accept windows xp asper they are made for only vista for example some fujitsu siemens so check the lhe laptop b4 trying to install else u'll jst give urself a headache!
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by LUDALOOLO(m): 9:02pm On Dec 17, 2008
@netoste there is way you can go about that, it will work on every vista compatible
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by Ralvy(m): 12:05am On Dec 18, 2008
Flyuche,
I think you shrink'd the article the way you shrink the Vista partition tongue
It's good to give credit where due smiley

http://www.pctipsbox.com/how-do-i-install-windows-xp-on-a-computer-with-windows-vista-pre-installed/
I think we all know how to use the search function smiley

For other interested,
See: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives/2007/10/07/how-to-dual-boot-xp-and-vista-with-xp-installed-first/
There's another article for a vice-versa situation, Raymond is a good friend and will guide you through it if required.

-[n3rve]
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by netotse(m): 4:17pm On Dec 18, 2008
@ludaloolo
i kno someone that tried it and kept getting bsod thats y i sed wot i did, how can it be done?

@ralvy
mennn wassup its been ages, howzit going?
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by awizzy1(m): 11:05am On Dec 19, 2008
why pertition?
why don't u give visualization a tryer?
i will recommend you use a virtual pc(eg virtualbox), this works without any complication and compatibility problem,both the guest OS and host work perfectly using virtual box(www.virtualbox.org). get it for free with a user guide.

peace,
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by Ralvy(m): 10:02pm On Dec 19, 2008
netotse:

@ralvy
mennn wassup its been ages, howzit going?

Netotse wassup?
Been ages actually, I've bin busy with web projects and stuff.

-[n3rve]
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by hancock(m): 5:20pm On Dec 20, 2008
D only problem i ve with this tutorial is laptops these days dont come with windows vista CD/DVDS they are preinstalled. How do u go on repairing boot loader without d vista CD/DVD?
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by lynxnoon(m): 11:04pm On Dec 20, 2008
hancock:

D only problem i ve with this tutorial is laptops these days don't come with windows vista CD/DVDS they are preinstalled. How do u go on repairing boot loader[b] without d vista CD/DVD?[/b]
hv u tried mking a cd/dvd copy?
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by hancock(m): 3:13pm On Dec 21, 2008
nah dont think that wld work. Just googled it aparently there is a windows vista recovery disc but all d links im seeing are torrents.i need a direct download link. Also i intend installing windows xp black edition v.6 as it has SATA drivers preinstalled.
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by lynxnoon(m): 4:14pm On Dec 21, 2008
hancock:

nah don't think that would work. Just googled it aparently there is a windows vista recovery disc but all d links I'm seeing are torrents.i need a direct download link. Also i intend installing[b] windows xp black edition v.6 as it has SATA drivers preinstalled.[/b]
guy abeg did u buy d cd or downloaded it?
i've bin trying to download stuff like dis but kip getting eror wen extracting d ISO file(dis happnd for leoxp2, winxp media centa edition) angry undecided
I wont a good link oh grin
thanks
Re: How Do I Install Windows Xp On A Computer With Windows Vista Pre-installed? by rikkyjen(m): 7:39pm On Dec 22, 2008
Why don't you partiton your hard drive. . . That gives you the option of dual booting!

(1) (Reply)

Limewire And Ares- Are They Illegal Now / How To Solve Error 0x800f0906/install/enable .net Framework 3.5 On Windows 8/8.1 / Clean Dell Latitude E5420 Core I5 320 @ 65k Only

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.