Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,947 members, 7,956,569 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 02:15 PM

Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? (5623 Views)

Poll: Should a christian partake in sallah celebrations?

Yes: 25% (2 votes)
No: 75% (6 votes)
This poll has ended

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Ramlocator: An App That Leads You Where The Sallah Rams Are / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 1:14am On Sep 20, 2008
I read a thread in the islamic section where someone who is supposedly a christian asked for an invitation for sallah celebrations and it hit me. I remember our pastor use to tell us that a christian should not participate in any celebration that is against the teachings of christ like town festivals that is related to traditional worship, non christian gatherings etc. Will it not be a sin for a christian to attend an islamic festival knowing full well it's not giving Christ any glory? How will you deal with such situation as a born again christian if your co worker that is very close to you extend such an invitation?
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by bawomolo(m): 2:05am On Sep 20, 2008
why not, what's the big deal. most butchers in nigeria are muslims and usually perform muslim prayers on the beef before they cut it up. does that mean u should avoid beef? aren't muslims praying to one God just through a different medium. you could be a spectator at the event without actively participating. people and their holy holy attitude
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by Nobody: 2:09am On Sep 20, 2008
1 Cor 8 is your answer.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 2:35am On Sep 20, 2008
1 Corinthians 8 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

1 Corinthians 8
Food Sacrificed to Idols
1Now about food sacrificed to idols: We know that we all possess knowledge.[a] Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. 2The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. 3But the man who loves God is known by God.
4So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that an idol is nothing at all in the world and that there is no God but one. 5For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"wink, 6yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

7But not everyone knows this. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat such food they think of it as having been sacrificed to an idol, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

9Be careful, however, that the exercise of your freedom does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10For if anyone with a weak conscience sees you who have this knowledge eating in an idol's temple, won't he be emboldened to eat what has been sacrificed to idols? 11So this weak brother, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12[b]When you sin against your brothers in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause him to fall.[/b]

1 Like

Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 2:37am On Sep 20, 2008
why not, what's the big deal. most butchers in nigeria are muslims and usually perform muslim prayers on the beef before they cut it up. does that mean u should avoid beef? aren't muslims praying to one God just through a different medium. you could be a spectator at the event without actively participating. people and their holy holy attitude
When you eat and drink with them, does that not glorify their very god you do not believe in?
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 2:38am On Sep 20, 2008
1 Cor 8 is your answer.
thanks
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by Cayon(f): 3:05am On Sep 20, 2008
@poster:

Is Sallah similiar to Christmas/Easter celebration? If yes, I see no reason for a christian to attend.

Jesus associated himself with people from all walks of life (sinners and prostitutes, regular Jews who didn't believe in him). He knew that we are all equally sinners and no one was any better than another. Christ had enough love in his heart to find even the down-and-out types to be worthy of dining with.

So, yeah, dinning with the sinners might seem "wrong" to you and me, but the Lord made no distinction among sins or sinners and came to save all mankind.

Peace
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 4:08am On Sep 20, 2008
@poster:

Is Sallah similiar to Christmas/Easter celebration? If yes, I see no reason for a christian to attend.

Jesus associated himself with people from all walks of life (sinners and prostitutes, regular Jews who didn't believe in him). He knew that we are all equally sinners and no one was any better than another. Christ had enough love in his heart to find even the down-and-out types to be worthy of dining with.

So, yeah, dinning with the sinners might seem "wrong" to you and me, but the Lord made no distinction among sins or sinners and came to save all mankind.

Peace
What if the celebration entails attending their place of worship and worshiping with them? I was once invited to a naming ceremony service in a celestial church that will require me to pull off my shoes and I passed because i'm not ready yet to compromise my religious belief just to please anyone. Will you attend a veneration ceremony performed by freemasons or the ogboni fraternity?
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by bawomolo(m): 4:30am On Sep 20, 2008
When you eat and drink with them, does that not glorify their very god you do not believe in?

how can i glorify something abstract, again u are not an active participant in the sallah celebration, are u claiming not to have eaten beef in naija. u think the hausa cattle rearer didn't pray over his cattle or sule the butcher didn't do some prayers before cutting up the beef. there is no big deal.

we are all sinners according to the bible, it's so hilarious how two groups of people who worship the same god can drive a wedge between each other
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 5:16am On Sep 20, 2008
how can i glorify something abstract, again u are not an active participant in the sallah celebration, are u claiming not to have eaten beef in naija. u think the hausa cattle rearer didn't pray over his cattle or sule the butcher didn't do some prayers before cutting up the beef. there is no big deal.

But I don't have to partake in the prayers. I ask again, will you attend an ogboni ceremony assuming a friend who's a member invited you for their special occasion that includes eating, drinking and spiritual exercises?
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by pilgrim1(f): 7:36am On Sep 20, 2008
@bawomolo,

bawomolo:

it's so hilarious how two groups of people who worship the same god can drive a wedge between each other

Correction: Islam at its very core does not teach that we worship the same God. This fancy idea has been held on for eons that it's amazing how many people can be easily swept along in that deluge.

Secondly, I was actually waiting for one of your ratioonalist atheist to mention this point about the two groups. But hey, isn't that the very same thing that happens among atheists? Do atheists not have the same discombobulation even in defining what they mean by atheism? My dear, it may be alright to rationalize this idea away; but the reality is that atheists among themsleves do not hold to a consensus of what they actually stand for when it comes to actually defining their core beliefs. They also drive wedges between their ideals.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by affee(f): 8:15am On Sep 20, 2008
pilgrim.1:

@bawomolo,

Correction: Islam at its very core does not teach that we worship the same God. This fancy idea has been held on for eons that it's amazing how many people can be easily swept along in that deluge.

Christianity doesnt either,
I believe that sallah food,according to the Christian faith has been sacrificed to idols.
any food given to my family on sallah day is given back to the almajiris.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by pilgrim1(f): 8:46am On Sep 20, 2008
@affee,

affee:

Christianity doesnt either,

I don't think that I ever argued that Christianity does. The lesson should be well suited to those who have the fancy of arguing to make them the same.

affee:

I believe that sallah food,according to the Christian faith has been sacrificed to idols.

Well, your say.

affee:

any food given to my family on sallah day is given back to the almajiris.

Okay, we all have our various persuasions. I think the issue is quite plain and simple. One should not receive what they have rejected in their hearts. 1 Corinthians 10 shows has plain teaching on this subject.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by affee(f): 9:25am On Sep 20, 2008
pilgrim.1:

Okay, we all have our various persuasions. I think the issue is quite plain and simple. One should not receive what they have rejected in their hearts. 1 Corinthians 10 shows has plain teaching on this subject.
When we said no they got angry, so we had to collect the food, but they've stopped now.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 11:55am On Sep 20, 2008
When we said no they got angry, so we had to collect the food, but they've stopped now
@bold, roflmao grin grin
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by olabowale(m): 12:31pm On Sep 20, 2008
Alhamdulillah. Am a muslim. I will eat the animal slaughtered with Jesus name called on it. I will eat the meals prepared by Christians and Jews, as long they do not have pork or its byproducts, alcohol and anything that Islam forbids in the food!

Thats moderation, a middle course that Allah, the Almighty permits for muslims. I will say Bismillah on it. That also include any food prepared by Muslims. But I will not eat from those others; atheists, buhhdists, etc. It is not permissable, while the foods of jews and christians are! It is in there in Surah Al Maidah. So are their women as wives for muslim men!
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by PastorAIO: 12:34pm On Sep 20, 2008
discombobulation

Chei chei chei!!!
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by PastorAIO: 12:44pm On Sep 20, 2008
affee:

When we said no they got angry, so we had to collect the food, but they've stopped now.

Which brings us to the real reason for the idea that we all worship the same God. It's political. We say it to keep the peace. I personally would have collected the food in the first place, but then discreetly binned it if I didn't want to eat it. I think that the real reason why you sent it back in the first place is to make a show of your christianity's exclusivity. I don't know you to say that for sure but it is just what I suspect.

Me personally, I've got to the point that I do not even want to pray with other so called christians because I very much doubt that we are praying to the same God. And that is even before we get to the point of sharing communion or any other meal with them.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 12:53pm On Sep 20, 2008
Thats moderation, a middle course that Allah, the Almighty permits for muslims. I will say Bismillah on it. That also include any food prepared by Muslims.[b] But I will not eat from those others; atheists, buhhdists, etc. [/b]It is not permissable, while the foods of jews and christians are! It is in there in Surah Al Maidah. So are their women as wives for muslim men
Atheists apart, why reject the food from a Buddhist or Hindu? Are we not worshiping the same God(according to you guys) from different media?
Again, will you attend a christian wedding in a church and partake in the church service for just an hour because the groom is a good friend of yours?
I'm asking you this because I know a muslim brother here who will not relent to invite you for any Islamic thing but can never ever enter the church or attend any christian feast. Invite him to your home on a christmas or easter and see him come up with a very sorry excuse to avoid it.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by Gamine(f): 12:54pm On Sep 20, 2008
I cannot partake in their celebrations.

But if i am offered food and drinks, i will take it, especially if i love the food Goatmeat grin grin

Whether it is offered to Idols or not.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 1:02pm On Sep 20, 2008
Me personally, I've got to the point that I do not even want to pray with other so called christians because I very much doubt that we are praying to the same God. And that is even before we get to the point of sharing communion or any other meal with them.
na waaah; Are a Guru maharaji or Olumba Olumba?
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by DeepZone: 1:04pm On Sep 20, 2008
But if i am offered food and drinks, i will take it, especially if i love the food Goatmeat
Awoof dey run belle
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by Gamine(f): 1:09pm On Sep 20, 2008
lol tongue

My neighbors are muslims sef, but we hardly interact undecided

Every hope of GM is out the window! embarassed embarassed cry
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by olabowale(m): 1:30pm On Sep 20, 2008
Deepzone:« #18 on: Today at 12:53:47 PM »
[Quote]
Atheists apart, why reject the food from a Buddhist or Hindu? Are we not worshiping the same God(according to you guys) from different media?
[/quote]

The Lord, Allah commands this on all believers, the muslims. Even though the people of the books are regarded as kafirun, disbelievers. The Hindus, Buhhdists and others are called Mushriks, idolworshippers. Their foods and women, regardless of the scent, aroma and beautity, respectively are forbidden! And we do not worship their deity. We worship our own Deity, The deity whose personal name is Allah!

Again, will you attend a christian wedding in a church and partake in the church service for just an hour because the groom is a good friend of yours?

I will not compromise Islam. I may attend a church ceremony of happiness. Maybe i will stay outside in the case of funeral, etc. But definitely when they pray to their 3 gods, I do not want to be there! This is serious and I am not laughing, even though I also did!

Its funny how they have 3 gods; father, son and ghost and all of a sudden it turns out to be 1! Hoodinni can't even try that one. But the christians are good at masking the issue with whatever explanation they can offre; from the three states of water, or the egg, etc!

And I offerred Salah many times, in churches, before!

I'm asking you this because I know a muslim brother here who will not relent to invite you for any Islamic thing but can never ever enter the church or attend any christian feast. Invite him to your home on a christmas or easter and see him come up with a very sorry excuse to avoid it.

If you give me your Christmas and or Easter foods, am gonna eat them! If you are a good cook. Okay! But don't invite me all year round, but except these two occassions. You want meto eat your food, bring it to me. And by the way the brother who is refusing to attend your special occassions may be right.

You will have to admit that Jesus was not born on the 25th of December! You also have to admit that Easter gives that mixed message as it to ask the question; did all of the 3 gods die and woke up? Big questions, heh?
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by Gamine(f): 1:38pm On Sep 20, 2008
lol
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by PastorAIO: 1:59pm On Sep 20, 2008
DeepZone:

na waaah; Are a Guru maharaji or Olumba Olumba?

Maharaji in sanskrit means the Great King. Well yes, I'm a great king thanks to a great inheritance that I've received through the Good Grace of the Jesus Christ. But I'm not a Guru, so that part is wrong.

In my language Olu mba means the Lord has perched. I don't know whether he is perched on a tree or on a wall. But as far as I know only birds and witches perch. My lord is not a bird. So I can't identify with Olumba.

I am happy to fellowship with christians with whom I feel a commonality, however I am not ready to enter any ol' jekuredi church to start worshipping some unknown entities with armed robbers and murderers. So please don't invite me to your church (that is a general request to everybody, not just DeepZone).
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by PastorAIO: 2:02pm On Sep 20, 2008
olabowale:

Thats moderation, a middle course that Allah, the Almighty permits for muslims. I will say Bismillah on it. That also include any food prepared by Muslims. But I will not eat from those others; atheists, buhhdists, etc. It is not permissable, while the foods of jews and christians are! It is in there in Surah Al Maidah. So are their women as wives for muslim men!

My brother does that mean that you cannot eat out in restaurants etc. Because I'm sure a great deal of chefs out there in NY are atheists. Not to mention office parties, or even just ordinary Snickers chocolate.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by Cayon(f): 2:18pm On Sep 20, 2008
Pastor AIO:

My brother does that mean that you cannot eat out in restaurants etc. Because I'm sure a great deal of chefs out there in NY are atheists. Not to mention office parties, or even just ordinary Snickers chocolate.
Pastor AIO

There is a saying in my country "What the eye doesn't see, the heart doesn't grieve over".  If I[b] know [/b] certain folks are preparing my food at a restaurant - I will not eat there.  And of course, we eat because we don't know who is cooking wink
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by affee(f): 2:52pm On Sep 20, 2008
Pastor AIO:

Which brings us to the real reason for the idea that we all worship the same God. It's political. We say it to keep the peace. I personally would have collected the food in the first place, but then discreetly binned it if I didn't want to eat it.

That would be hypocrisy dont you think?

I think that the real reason why you sent it back in the first place is to make a show of your christianity's exclusivity. I don't know you to say that for sure but it is just what I suspect.

I never said I sent it back to the people that gave me the food, I simply gave it to the almajiris.
shey u know whom alamajiris are?. I cant throw food away, I make sure it is consumed even if not by me

Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by PastorAIO: 3:01pm On Sep 20, 2008

I never said I sent it back to the people that gave me the food, I simply gave it to the almajiris.
shey u know whom alamajiris are?. I can't throw food away, I make sure it is consumed even if not by me

I'm sorry, I was previously unaware of who the Almajiris were but I have since googled it. The Funny thing is that Google.com sent me right back to Nairaland where I found an article on it.

I do not deny any charges of hypocrisy/two-facedness but I will also say that it is integral to the whole process of human socialisation. Today alone, could you tell me that you've said everything that came to your mind when it involved someone else's sensitivity. Yes hypocrisy, but it is also often called politeness or diplomacy.
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by Cayon(f): 3:03pm On Sep 20, 2008
@DZ

If you are strong in your faith Nothing should move you.

I ve visited Johovah Kingdom Hall, SDA and an organization with black folks calling themselves Black Jews (can't remember the name)Episcopal, Anglican, Catholic etc.  but I did not participate in certain things.  Things that I felt was wrong (the readings) - I remain mute or excused myself by going outsidelipsrsealed

As long as the celebration is not about worshipping and bowing down to idols - I have no problem attending.  Like I say, if you are stong in your faith Nothing should move you.  These 4 scriptures keep me strong.

Deuteronomy 31:6 - “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."  

Philippians 2:12-13 – “Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.”

Romans 12:5 – “so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others.”

Colossians 3:16 – “Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God”

Peace
Re: Should A Christian Partake In Sallah Celebrations? by PastorAIO: 3:05pm On Sep 20, 2008
But then not totally hypocritical if deep down I harbour the intention of gently breaking my real opinion to the person. I just won't slam it on them gbolah! without any sensitivity. I might start off with a few hints. Then one day, apparently unpremeditated, fall into a conversation with them about my opinions and views.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Is The Name Jesus Not Effective In My Nightmares? / Pastor Instructs Members To Strip For The Holy Ghost To Penetrate Them.(photos) / Have You Blasphemed YET Today? God Committed Adultery And Other Matters Arising.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.