Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,242 members, 7,818,826 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! (5527 Views)

David Oyedepo In Akwa-Ibom For Udom's Thanksgiving (Photos) / Ambode, Osinbajo, At Bishop Okonkwo's Birthday Thanksgiving (Photos) / Dont Be Deceived In Church Today Brethren. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Intrepid1(m): 5:16pm On Oct 21, 2010
I was wasting part of my life on Facebook one day, as most of us find ourselves doing, when I stumbled upon some pictures that one of my friends was tagged in. The title of the photo album; FOOTBALL THANKSGIVING, stoked my curiosity and I clicked on the link to view the pictures. The sights that confronted me were utterly revolting and mentally revolting! Nigerians ‘doing’ a thanksgiving during a normal Catholic Church service for European clubs!

The first thought that came to my head was the fact that churches are supposed to be solemn worship centres, not given frivolous activities or engaging in actions that will bring the Holy Temple to disrepute. The sight of wildly grinning males and females adoring European football club jerseys and carrying team paraphernalia like umbrellas, footballs and scarves in the House of God struck me as being irresponsible and terribly un-Christian-like.

I had to ask myself,  What the hell are these people celebrating? The teams are based in Europe, several thousands of miles away so there’s really no connection between the two groups. And come to think of it, why in this world would Nigerians ‘celebrate’ the success and (or) popularity of European clubs? Is it the Nigerian penchant to jump on the bandwagon of anything that is considered successful? Can the comatose situation of the Nigerian economy, which has seen many an idle Nigerian youth turn to football as a means of temporarily forgetting their sorrows, be blamed for this? Can the slothful and fraudulent football administrators in Nigeria who have killed the local league be blamed for the shift in fan loyalty to the more popular and entertaining leagues in Europe? Let me stop at this point before I launch into an anger-inspired, foul mouthed rant against the rot in the Nigerian Government. I will consciously force myself to hold my peace, but only just,

Back to the topic at hand,  Were these ‘worshippers’ right to indulge in such an activity within the hallowed confines of the Church?  Should not the Priest(s) who authorized this absurdity be sanctioned? Does this not call for sober reflection on all our parts and a clear distinction on what and what not is permissible in the House of God?

If I may crave your indulgence and digress for the very last time, I remember an incident some years back when two Nigerian fans stupidly got into an altercation over the different teams they supported. To cut the long story short and allow you go back to your boring life, one of the combatants ran into his house and emerged with a long kitchen knife which he stabbed his opponent with. The knife was plunged into the jaw of the victim and the end emerged just below his cheek bone, missing his eye by inches. The media carried this report and somehow, it got to the ears of the manager of Arsenal FC, Arsene Wenger. Did he send money to help out with the cost of surgery or take time out from his extremely busy schedule to come and visit ‘the fan’? Nope! He sent a condolence letter and an Arsenal Fan Club membership form. Why? Because on a scale of 0 to 10, the silly actions of a ‘fan’ are absolutely none of his business and probably would be rated at 0.000142659!

I rest my case!

www.chimezieokonkwo..com

Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by jamace(m): 9:14am On Oct 23, 2010
Hmn. I no fit talk. The thing tire me. angry
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by morzook(m): 8:48am On Oct 24, 2010
na real wa, i thot they said there is nothing new under the sun?
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by suprted(m): 12:04pm On Oct 30, 2010
that is actually disgusting.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by MyneWhite1(f): 4:41pm On Oct 30, 2010
That man reading paper is the only sensible one. I'm sure we have local teams for them to support.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by tpia5: 5:20am On Oct 31, 2010
what the heck.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by room702(m): 12:17am On Nov 01, 2010
*smh*
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Chuks84(m): 11:00pm On Nov 05, 2010
God of mercy! What kind of church is this? Sote person go de balance de read newspaper? While others de celebrate arsenal! Kai! Whats this world turning into?
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by MaiSuya(m): 1:18am On Nov 06, 2010
If I may crave your indulgence and digress for the very last time, I remember an incident some years back when two Nigerian fans stupidly got into an altercation over the different teams they supported. To cut the long story short and allow you go back to your boring life, one of the combatants ran into his house and emerged with a long kitchen knife which he stabbed his opponent with. The knife was plunged into the jaw of the victim and the end emerged just below his cheek bone, missing his eye by inches. The media carried this report and somehow, it got to the ears of the manager of Arsenal FC, Arsene Wenger. Did he send money to help out with the cost of surgery or take time out from his extremely busy schedule to come and visit ‘the fan’? Nope! He sent a condolence letter and an Arsenal Fan Club membership form. Why? Because on a scale of 0 to 10, the silly actions of a ‘fan’ are absolutely none of his business and probably would be rated at 0.000142659!

ROTMAFLO!!!!

I've long concluded that there must be a 'spirit' behind that game. Not that I dont fancy a glance or two once in a while, particularly when I have a little time to waste(like I do right now, typing this lol), but to get absurd extent of missing classes and engaging in energy sapping, heated arguments, as many are wont to do; some even ending tragically as the case above is taking the misguided passion for the round leather game to disturbingly ridiculous levels, and yes, should be a cause for concern.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by nanaboi(m): 6:25am On Nov 10, 2010
@ last poster, I hate it wen people say 'spirit' or 'possessd' in stuff like this. Wen u do smthng great, there will definitli b great reactions: MJ's per4mances - people faintd, check, It's the church's duty to choose how affectd they want 2 b by the in-thngz. Rememba, futball among otha thngz [not all of the +ve I agree], fostaz integration too. People luv it, & if they wanna swell the church's purses coz they do, then wat the heck, Personali, I thiñk it goez 2 show how needy the churches have traind themselvez 2 b.kom, & how rare it'z b.kom 2 find true decorum evn in the Catholik Church. Won't change the fact that I'm a Catholik nor that I luv Chelsea. U can bet ur last tho that weneva it's 'Chelsea offeriñg time' [if there were any], I'd sit that 1 out.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by nanaboi(m): 6:38am On Nov 10, 2010
For Your In4mation tho, it's nt new - the church usiñg popular culture 2 generate followershp or fundz. I recall a certain catholic priest, st. John Bosco who used magic tricks n circus-like stunts way back in the 19th century 2 bring street kidz 2 church n stay them entertaind afta preachñg. Trust me, he got more than mere criticisms 4 doiñg that
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Topsido(m): 8:37am On Nov 10, 2010
Moti sowipe mio ni sepe mo!
Arsenal in African church, may God p***sh all of them!
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Tunsbobo(m): 11:44pm On Nov 11, 2010
Wonders shall never end!
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Tunsbobo(m): 11:45pm On Nov 11, 2010
Wonders shall never end!
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by ditimiya(m): 6:06am On Nov 12, 2010
Guy why are you doing as if u don't know that the catholic church a wonderful place to worship the marker. That pics u have showed every body here today is called the clubs Thanksgiving for one of the harvest in the church. This is a medium to allow people to contribute to the building of the church and to help the poor people in the communities. Let me tell you the only way you get money from people is to do that thing they enjoy outside the church, that is why the church have given permission to do that after the importance part of the mass is over. i will like to invite you the this year harvest thanksgiving in my church here in Area 3 catholic church and u will so much enjoy it. put your month where your money is. OUR LADY QUEEN OF NIGERIA , PRAY FOR US!
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by FBS: 11:28am On Nov 12, 2010
Honestly, yes, I don't know what to say.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 12, 2010
I'm surprised it's a catholic church undecided
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by supereagle(m): 11:39am On Nov 12, 2010
The business of the church is to occupy for Christ doing evangelism. But when the church moves away from the biz of the Master and get engaged in canal things , then the pastor of the church is spiritually dead.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Nobody: 11:55am On Nov 12, 2010
Shock is not even a word, am dumfounded
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by pewekac: 11:58am On Nov 12, 2010
Myne White:

That man reading paper is the only sensible one. I'm sure we have local teams for them to support.
love the guy grin grin grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by gamesb: 12:04pm On Nov 12, 2010
ok what of this ? although i do not support nigeria kind of supporting european teams, islamatization watch  of football in somalia during the world cup 2010.

Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by snthesis(m): 12:10pm On Nov 12, 2010
nw i've seen it all grin grin grin grin grin
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by denony(m): 12:17pm On Nov 12, 2010
that church looks like ST MARY'S AJEGUNLE
It's normal thing in churches these days
but frankly speaking it draws the youth to church.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by KakiP(m): 12:21pm On Nov 12, 2010
See the guy on yellow feeling all jolly with himself,then the lady behind him undecided,THEN the OLD man,i love the guy reading the newspaper though grin grin grin,Pls where is this church,i gotta attend.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Image123(m): 12:34pm On Nov 12, 2010
Myne White:

It might be CompleteSports or some Football magazine, lol
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by sulad82i(m): 12:48pm On Nov 12, 2010
sorry to say,  a lot of religious centers are like business. They do all that is necessary to keep customers and attract new ones.
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by chamotex(m): 1:11pm On Nov 12, 2010
What can Arsenal fans be celebrating though . . . . Emirates cup?
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Tonyet1(m): 1:16pm On Nov 12, 2010
sulad82i:

sorry to say,  a lot of religious centers are like business. They do all that is necessary to keep customers and attract new ones.

There is nothing to sorry about. . . grin grin  cry cry
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by chakula: 1:26pm On Nov 12, 2010
F L A B B E R G A S T E D I N D E E D!
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by ZUBBYNWA(m): 1:27pm On Nov 12, 2010
hi, denony iam greeting
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by Ikwikwikwi(m): 1:34pm On Nov 12, 2010
@ ujujoan, you are going nuts by that comment, silly
Re: ‘Football Thanksgiving’ In Church: Crazy! by debosky(m): 1:35pm On Nov 12, 2010
While it appears shocking at first glance. . . .I don't think they are celebrating Arsenal per se.

What I suspect is happening is that there was some church football tournament and the team that won chose Arsenal as it's colours. I would really be gobsmacked if they were actually celebrating Arsenal FC. What would there be to celebrate when the season is barely a third of the way through?

Again, I think it's some church footie event. . . .while a bit over the top, it might not be completely out of place for the church team to celebrate during the service.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Was Jonah Angry When Ninevah Repented? / David Ibiyeomi As A White Garment Pastor (pix) / Atheist Agenda For 2013. All Atheists Please Comment!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.