Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,471 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? (17462 Views)

Thousands Of Expensive Cars Are Left Abandoned In Dubai (pictures) / Why Are Left-handed Pple So Few And Unique?? / Facts About Left Handed People............. (2) (3) (4)

Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by mukina2: 2:58pm On Oct 20, 2008
A-40:

@muki
We share so many things in common sometimes it scares me shocked

spooky grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by seun001(m): 4:02pm On Oct 20, 2008
of course,compared to numerous righties,lefties are unique,few and one of a kind wink wink wink wink wink wink

ur left hand in the air shocked grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by gamechange(m): 4:23pm On Oct 20, 2008
May be true, Info from here;

http://www.left-handersday.com/intelligence.html

Some researchers claim that left handers are more intelligent and eloquent than right-handed counterparts. In tests conducted by Dr. Alan Searleman from St Lawrence University in New York, he found that left-handers can be considerably more intellectually gifted. There were more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people - which is the "genius" bracket. This is perhaps why there are more "lefties" in creative professions - such as music, art and writing - and more left-handed astronauts and leaders than would be expected.
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by Ibime(m): 4:51pm On Oct 20, 2008

according to science, left handed people use the right part of their brain,
the right part of the rain controls the left part of the body while the left part of the brain controls the right part of the body. and its also  believed that the right part develops better than the left part so i guess thats where the notion comes from

Hehehe. . . . not to brag, but I am right-handed and left-footed.  . . . so that means I am using both parts of my brain unlike mere mortals who only use one side of the brain.  cheesy
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by seun001(m): 4:57pm On Oct 20, 2008
gamechange:

May be true, Info from here;

http://www.left-handersday.com/intelligence.html

Some researchers claim that left handers are more intelligent and eloquent than right-handed counterparts. In tests conducted by Dr. Alan Searleman from St Lawrence University in New York, he found that left-handers can be considerably more intellectually gifted. There were more left-handed people with IQs over 140 than right-handed people - which is the "genius" bracket. This is perhaps why there are more "lefties" in creative professions - such as music, art and writing - and more left-handed astronauts and leaders than would be expected.

gba beeeeee!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin cheesy grin cheesy grin wink
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by walttt(m): 5:51pm On Oct 20, 2008
there r shades of grey in every rule, so since u say lefties r very intelligent, i wish to dispute that claim cos i know a classmate of mine who happened to bag DOZENS of F's in school cos he was a dummy.

But i might agree with u if u say they r always admired by the opposite sex. I know a gurl who loves lefties, wink
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by manmustwac(m): 6:47pm On Oct 20, 2008
I am leftie Cool a very proud one too Kiss i was born with my left thumb in my mouth Grin
Yeah!! we are unique Cheesy
Am left handed too mukina
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by lysaa(f): 6:59pm On Oct 20, 2008
Word!! Left-handed ballers are extremely hard to guard their ball-handling skills are always top-notch

thats because u have to handle their balls with right. They have hard time playing against u but they learnt how to cos learning to use right is the easier and normal way of life cool tongue (my philosophy grin)
abeg, u guys are just trying to console urselves. . I know some lefties who don't know Jack!
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by KollyJay(m): 7:26pm On Oct 20, 2008
Yea,  I agree. Am one as well. I play the keyboard with some skill and pple do admire when i play, maybe cos of the speed and all those at times, 

But mostly, pple admire it.

I believe there is something special about it. A woman once callled me and told me i behave in some special ways but i dont know it,  lol,

So i think i agree.

But i can use the right too, like, i eat with the right. And really, i hate to see pple eating local foods, eba, amala, etc with the left hand. lol, grin
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by kokoye(m): 7:57pm On Oct 20, 2008
I am left handed but i'm hardly conscious of that fact now anyway since I use the computer keyboard most of the time now, not writing, abi?

But my parents beat me no be small while I was growing up due to the persistent use of my left hand. It was my oyinbo teacher that convinced them to stop trying to change me, and that's why handling activities now are shared btw both hands. I can write with my right hand as well.

But yea, it was a big deal while growing up in Naija - u might be the only lefty in a class of about 30.
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by Gamine(f): 8:08pm On Oct 20, 2008
Abeg make i hear word.

My sister is left-handed

the only unique thing about her is that she is the ONLY leftie in the house.

BIG DEAL!
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:09pm On Oct 20, 2008
[size=14pt]Left-handedness and intelligence[/size]

In his book Right-Hand, Left-Hand, Chris McManus of University College London argues that the proportion of left-handers is rising and left-handed people as a group have historically produced an above-average quota of high achievers. He says that left-handers' brains are structured differently in a way that widens their range of abilities, and the genes that determine left-handedness also govern development of the language centers of the brain.

McManus also says that the increase in the 20th century of people identifying as left-handed could produce a corresponding intellectual advance and a leap in the number of mathematical, sporting, or artistic geniuses.

In 2006, researchers at Lafayette College and Johns Hopkins University in a study found that left-handed men are 15 percent richer than right-handed men for those who attended college, and 26 percent richer if they graduated. The wage difference is still unexplainable and does not appear to apply to women.
-- Wikipedia
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:15pm On Oct 20, 2008
Left-Handed U.S. Presidents
James A. Garfield  (1831-1881) 20th
Herbert Hoover  (1874-1964) 31st
Harry S. Truman  (1884-1972) 33rd
Gerald Ford  (1913-    ) 38th
Ronald Reagan  (1911 -    ) 40th
George H.W. Bush  (1924-    ) 41st
Bill Clinton  (1946-    ) 42nd

The fact that George W. Bush is not on this list greatly consoles my spirit.
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by RichyBlacK(m): 9:16pm On Oct 20, 2008
[size=18pt]Albert Einstein was left-handed, nuff said![/size]
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by Cristalz(f): 9:22pm On Oct 20, 2008
mukina2:

spooky grin grin grin

No,its not. You were made for each other grin

I love being left-handed, tho its not always easy in a world designed for right-handed people and in a society where lefties are looked upon as disrespectful and Lord knows what else. We still cope beautifully despite all of that,so haters should kindly leave us be grin
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by thehomer: 9:25pm On Oct 20, 2008
Why they are few may never be known but "uniqueness" may be because they are fewer in the general population (5 - 7%). Besides some cultures consider being left-handed a taboo.
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by Cristalz(f): 9:58pm On Oct 20, 2008
Reminds me of when twins were a taboo also grin Africans just have to hate on whatever they're not used to.
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by Gamine(f): 10:18pm On Oct 20, 2008
abeg

What of those that use both hands

wetin dem be?? undecided

im sure their IQ will be blowing the roof away
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by savanaha: 10:21pm On Oct 20, 2008
Obama is left handed too.

So is John McCain, but McCain was the result of when he was a POW.

Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by PurestBoy(m): 10:38pm On Oct 20, 2008
I just got over my research and discover that Abacha, Mustapha, Sergeant Roger, Tafa Balogun and Anini are left handed too.
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:12pm On Oct 20, 2008
savanaha:

Obama is left handed too.

So is John McCain, but McCain was the result of when he was a POW.

McCain? He'll be bounced at the door by Oscar de la Hoya and Barry Bonds, two proud left-handers!

He became a POW at age 31 and so for three decades he was right-handed. Well, he'll be admitted into the club with lots of preconditions cool

Absolutely! Obama is left-handed grin

So, is Bill Clinton!
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:15pm On Oct 20, 2008
PurestBoy:

I just got over my research and discover that Abacha, Mustapha, Sergeant Roger, Tafa Balogun and Anini are left handed too.

No evidence of such! Pure wishful thinking! They'll never make it past Oscar de la Hoya grin
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by Gamine(f): 11:17pm On Oct 20, 2008
LOL

even Alamieysegha is Left handed
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by mukina2: 11:29pm On Oct 20, 2008
Cristalz:

No,its not. You were made for each other grin

I love being left-handed, tho its not always easy in a world designed for right-handed people and in a society where lefties are looked upon as disrespectful and Lord knows what else. We still cope beautifully despite all of that,so haters should kindly leave us be grin

sharrap tongue grin

same here girl. i love being leftie oo, People always  see it as being disrespectful. When you do things with your lefthand angry. I eat with my left hand when eating with a spoon, my uncle told me my dad should have forced me to change it tongue,  no one did and am glad grin  We cope really well, back in school the only thing  was turning the book upside down to write grin to turning  it  to be able to write well grin
I  do absolutely everything with my left hand,  kiss

yeah and haters keep on hating we rock cheesy cheesy!!!

Am left handed too mukina
Manmuswac cheesy its good , . at least we agree on something grin A40 our spuds pally is a leftie too grin cheesy
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by skywalk: 11:36pm On Oct 20, 2008
I am lefty nd so is my dad, i got lots of beating frm my mum to change , lots of pressure in secondary sch to excel in sports. My frds will yab without end for being diff. O how i tried to change. I am who i am period.
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by A40(m): 11:59pm On Oct 20, 2008
Lol even Jay-Z is a leftie

@Gamine
Why you hating
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by mukina2: 12:04am On Oct 21, 2008
. . . . because she is not a leftie cheesy
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by A40(m): 12:15am On Oct 21, 2008
No wonder cool but there is no reason for beef now maybe we should start a Why are Right-handed People so Unique thread so everyone is happy
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by Gamine(f): 12:19am On Oct 21, 2008
D'oh!

No beef here. whatever the variety, Angus, Aboki cheesy

im just wondering wat the big deal is ooh!!

omo leftie perempe tongue
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by A40(m): 1:04am On Oct 21, 2008
Gamine:

D'oh!

No beef here. whatever the variety, Angus, Aboki cheesy

I'm just wondering what the big deal is ooh!!

omo leftie perempe tongue
Whatever Ma'am me i can see you from here sha eating hot satis beef and sipping some cool haterade juice to wash it down tongue
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by Gamine(f): 1:35am On Oct 21, 2008
eh!

And im holding them with my wondeerful RIGHT hand grin
Re: Why Are Left-handed People Few And So Unique? by segunpay(m): 1:39am On Oct 21, 2008
Information is money, everything about internet/information marketing books are available here, get them by visiting this site. Here you get those books with PL Rs for free. All this books are all with there PL Rs.

Order Yours Now!!!

http://www.internetblow..com/

CEO Internetblow,

Who is an evening newspaper? / What's Your Definition Of The Word "Stingy"? / The Important Things In Life. Get Motivated Now!!!!!!!