Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,716 members, 7,809,709 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:41 PM

Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? (9294 Views)

Health Benefits Of Ewedu / The English Name For `ewedu' / Recipe For Losing Weight..... Lose 12kg In Two Weeks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by ankeade: 1:15pm On Sep 22, 2008
cool
I so much love ewedu because it is medicinal. but my problem
is that I don't know how to prepare it.

please that knows how to prepare it, should please do that.
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by titilaelae(f): 2:26pm On Sep 22, 2008
To cook ewedu  is very easy but it can disappoint you by not turning out well sometimes. Traditionally speaking you'll need ewedu leaves, iru pete (the softer kind of locust bean), kanun (potash) dry/smoke fish as you desire, egusi (melon) (optional) and of course, water.

Pluck your ewedu and shred with knife.  Put sufficient water on fire and add your potash. Dissolve your iru in water and sift, throwing away the sediment. Allow to boil. Put your shredded ewedu. Allow it to boil over and add your fish, then egusi. allow the egusi to cook for about 5 minutes then use your ijabe (ewedu broom) to chop it till the desired smoothness is achieved. Taste before you add salt as iru is usually coated with salt for preservation. After you have used the broom, let it not stay on fire for more than 1-2 minutes as it may relapse and it'll lose the drawness.

A simpler and more hygienic method I've adopted is: Simply blend the ewedu in your blender and add to already boiling water with kaun and iru. Leave for 2 minutes and add your fish and salt. Leave for another 3 minutes and you'll have your fresh ewedu. Fresh in the sense that it didn't stay too long on fire. The only demerit here is that I can't use egusi in this method. Whoever knows how and when to should come on board and teach me.

Please note that  potash is to bring out its drawing nature and when overused will make the colour turn pale and uninviting. The taste will also be sharp, so it  must be proportionate to the quantity of your ewedu. Bon Apetit
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by MrCrackles(m): 2:28pm On Sep 22, 2008
if person dey find the recipe for ewedu up and down, then how the person go fit boil egg?! smiley
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by Moyola(f): 2:34pm On Sep 22, 2008
Hehehe. . . ewedu recipe!!! cheesy

whAt type of ewedu? is it d basic ewedu or ewedu alasepo? tongue

Anywyzz here is d ing 4 basic ewedu:

ewedu

kohun

iru peteh {locust bean}

salt to taste, {some ppl add maggi, crayfish and melon. . .4 ewedu alasepo}

1 cup of water {kuld b more based on d quantity}

ijabeh{short broom} or Blender

u got all the items listed above then u can proceed with:

titilaelae:

Pluck your ewedu and shred with knife.  Put sufficient water on fire and add your potash. Dissolve your iru in water and sift, throwing away the sediment. Allow to boil. Put your shredded ewedu. Allow it to boil over and add your fish, then egusi. allow the egusi to cook for about 5 minutes then use your ijabe (ewedu broom) to chop it till the desired smoothness is achieved. Taste before you add salt as iru is usually coated with salt for preservation. After you have used the broom, let it not stay on fire for more than 1-2 minutes as it may relapse and it'll lose the drawness.

A simpler and more hygienic method I've adopted is: Simply blend the ewedu in your blender and add to already boiling water with kaun and iru. Leave for 2 minutes and add your fish and salt. Leave for another 3 minutes and you'll have your fresh ewedu. Fresh in the sense that it didn't stay too long on fire. The only demerit here is that I can't use egusi in this method. Whoever knows how and when to should come on board and teach me.

Please note that  potash is to bring out its drawing nature and when overused will make the colour turn pale and uninviting. The taste will also be sharp, so it  must be proportionate to the quantity of your ewedu. Bon Apetit
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by Moyola(f): 2:35pm On Sep 22, 2008
Brash!:

if person dey find the recipe for ewedu up and down, then how the person go fit boil egg?! smiley

Arent d£y different? undecided tongue
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by MrCrackles(m): 2:37pm On Sep 22, 2008
Moyola:

Arent d£y different? undecided tongue

yeah they are but how person go dey find ewedu recipe up and down!

na im be say the person no go fit boil egg or fry dodo!!!!
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by titilaelae(f): 2:48pm On Sep 22, 2008
@Brash, am sure you don't even know how to boil water for tea shocked shocked shocked grin, c'mmon give the babe a break!

Honestly, like I first stated, ewedu can dissapoint you oh, ask other women. You would cook some and it would look like sacrifice grin, cry perhaps it has to do with type. The point is they don't all turn out as you desire and it may not be the fault of the cook.
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by Moyola(f): 2:54pm On Sep 22, 2008
Brash!:

yeah they are but how person go dey find ewedu recipe up and down!

na im be say the person no go fit boil egg or fry dodo!!!!

hehe. . . cheesy
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by Moyola(f): 2:55pm On Sep 22, 2008
titilaelae:

Honestly, like I first stated, ewedu can dissapoint you oh, ask other women. You would cook some and it would look like sacrifice grin, cry

lol. . . cheesy

titilaelae:

perhaps it has to do with type. The point is they don't all turn out as you desire and it may not be the fault of the cook.

True that!!! wink
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by KarmaMod(f): 3:10pm On Sep 22, 2008
Brash!:

It's cos of dumb remarks like this that most people dont feel comfortable asking harmless questions here

Congrats.
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by MrCrackles(m): 3:12pm On Sep 22, 2008
KarmaMod:

It's because of dumb remarks like this that most people don't feel comfortable asking harmless questions here

Congrats.

congrats mouthy little one!

clap for yourself!!
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by KarmaMod(f): 3:37pm On Sep 22, 2008
Im too busy clapping for you instead
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by MrCrackles(m): 5:24pm On Sep 22, 2008
titilaelae:

@Brash, am sure you don't even know how to boil water for tea shocked shocked shocked grin, c'mmon give the babe a break!

yes oo

i cant even wear my pant! grin
Re: Does Anyone Has The Recipe For Ewedu? by ifyalways(f): 12:35am On Sep 23, 2008
Brash!:

Look at it this way,maybe shes not a Yoruba girl,just willing to learn cos she likes the soup.
loosen up ! like you know how to prepare 'ofe onugbo'? tongue

(1) (Reply)

Blogger, Tatafonaija Feeds 1000 Kids In Abuja To Mark Christmas / How Do I Treat My Pile. / The Best Cereal Is:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.