Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:23 AM

Health Benefits Of Ewedu - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Health Benefits Of Ewedu (44323 Views)

Health Benefits Of Onions [must Read] / 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Cucumber / 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Bananas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Adesiji77: 9:18pm On Apr 09, 2015
Recently, jute leaf (ewedu) has been raved about for a lot of things – as a stellar component in healthy eating, as Cleopatra’s beauty secret, as a potent anti-wrinkle and as a super food which is being incorporated into health products.

In Japan, dried jute leaves are even made into pills which women take as beauty supplements.

In African and Middle Eastern countries where healthy eating is the norm, jute leaves are the main ingredients in mucilaginous and very slimy potherb called molokhiya.

Jute leaves, also known as Saluyot leaves in the western part of Nigeria, are used in the preparation of ewedu soup. Once grinded, it’s got a slimy consistency just like okra.

It’s a good source of fibre, low in calories but high in vitamins. In herbal medicine, it is used to control or prevent dysentery, worm infestation and constipation.

In Ayurveda (an ancient Hindu system of healing), jute leaves are used for pain, piles, and tumours.

Elsewhere, the leaves are used for cystitis, dysuria, fever, and gonorrhoea. The cold infusion is said to restore the appetite and strength.

Jute leaves pack the antioxidant trio of Vitamins A, C and E which fend off free radicals, thereby protecting from cancer and other degenerative diseases. The ACE vitamins also happen to be the most beautifying vitamins, increasing collagen production to keep the skin firm and young-looking

http://www.punchng.com/health/healthwise/health-benefits-of-ewedu/

14 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 09, 2015
Really? Nice.

Please op is there any other way to prepare it other than using broom?

6 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by candycrushsoda: 9:44pm On Apr 09, 2015
Herzumpther:
Really? Nice.

U can blend it with very little water. But don't blend for too long so it doesn't get too smooth.

5 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Jennydoris(f): 9:47pm On Apr 09, 2015
Hmmmmm!
Ewedu.. please what's the igbo name.. undecided

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Nobody: 9:48pm On Apr 09, 2015
candycrushsoda:

U can blend it with very little water. But don't blend for too long so it doesn't get too smooth.
Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by candycrushsoda: 9:49pm On Apr 09, 2015
The leaves can also be blended with tomatoes & onions (raw) which can be used to reduce HBP.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Sharon6(f): 9:55pm On Apr 09, 2015
Nice write up

2 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by ifeelgood: 9:55pm On Apr 09, 2015
That's what we shall prepare with "BROOMS" for APC members when we defeat the last PDP man standing in Kaduna. #WhereIsNamadi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Sweetguy25: 9:55pm On Apr 09, 2015
Does it increase sperm count?
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by dunkem21(m): 9:56pm On Apr 09, 2015
The broom used in preparing it is my problem.

Any other way out
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Aikon: 9:56pm On Apr 09, 2015
The best combo - Amala and ewedu plus gbegiri. Where are my Ibadan bobos annd babes cheesy

Herzumpther:
Really? Nice.

you can use umbrella instead

37 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by klem93(m): 9:56pm On Apr 09, 2015
I knew it tipe tipe say this leaf get beta for body

2 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by tiamiyukunle69(m): 9:57pm On Apr 09, 2015
Amala, gbegiri ati ewedu. Abula combination to bad grin

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 09, 2015
kglamour:
Jute or saluyot leaves (called ewedu among the Yoruba and rama among the Hausa and their Fulbe
neighbours) are used as a food source in many parts of the world. It is a popular vegetable in West Africa
and is not just rich in nutrition but also has a lot of health benefits, including protecting us from various
diseases. Nutrition-wise, vegetables are low in calories but high in vitamins and minerals. They are also
good sources of fibre. Fibre keeps the intestinal tract in good health and may even reduce the risk of some
cancers and diseases.
The leaves contain almost all of the nutrients needed by humans and are high in antioxidant property,
primarily in the form of Vitamin E. These antioxidants combine with free radicals that cause health
problems like arthritis, hardening of arteries, heart and kidney ailments and inhibit the harmful and
destructive effects of these radicals.
It is also used as herbal medicine to control or prevent dysentery, worm infestation and constipation.
Ewedu leaves are rich in vitamins, carotinoids, calcium, potassium and dietary fibres. Although it has been
grown for food, in recent times it has been discovered that ewedu has many other benefits, including anti-
ageing benefits.

Ewedu as vegetable and medicine
Studies have shown that this green, leafy vegetable is rich in beta-carotene for good eyesight, iron for
healthy red blood cells, calcium for strong bones and teeth, and vitamin C for smooth, clear skin, strong
immune cells, and fast wound-healing. Vitamins A, C and E present in ewedu “sponge up” free radicals,
scooping them up before they can commit cellular sabotage. As a vegetable, it contains an abundance of
antioxidants that have been associated with protection from chronic diseases such as heart disease,
cancer, diabetes, and hypertension as well as other medical conditions.
Ayurvedics (ancient Hindu system of healing) use the leaves for ascites, pain, piles, and tumours.
Elsewhere, the leaves are used for cystitis, dysuria, fever, and gonorrhoea. The cold infusion is said to
restore the appetite and strength.
Ewedu and weight loss
The green leaf has been described as a source of weight loss. Serving ewedu without meat or fish only has
97 calories. So, for those trying to lose some weight, include ewedu in your diet.

Ewedu for pregnant women
This jute leaf has been known to be a remedy for pregnant women experiencing prolonged labour. When a
pregnant woman is experiencing prolonged labour, a bunch of ewedu leaves squeezed with the stem can be
given to her to drink. It has also been discovered to aid milk secretion in lactating mothers.

4 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by macpetrus(m): 9:57pm On Apr 09, 2015
grin grin wow
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by holatin(m): 9:57pm On Apr 09, 2015
where are the tribal bigot that do call us ewedu eater

7 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by aywhy93(m): 9:58pm On Apr 09, 2015
I can't remember the last time I ate Amala + Ewedu + Ogufe... Hmmmm, the food that makes me miss my dear yoruba homie.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Nobody: 9:59pm On Apr 09, 2015
Nutritional Information

Ewedu leaves pack the antioxidant trio of Vitamins A, C and E which fend off free radicals thereby protecting the body from degenerative diseases. The ACE vitamins also happen to be the most beautifying vitamins, increasing collagen production to keep the skin firm and young-looking. This is why most people belief that ewedu was Cleopatra’s beauty secret
–  Vitamin A, aids in repairing the body’s cells and improves eyesight

–  Vitamin C improves circulation and helps lower the risk of  eye disorders

–  Vitamin E slows down the aches and pains associated with aging and increases stamina

–  Calcium contributes to strong teeth and bones

Half a cup of prepared ewedu will give you the following nutrients: 20 calories ,0.3 grams of fat, 3.1 grams of carbohydrate, 0.4 grams of fiber, 1.3 grams of protein, 87 mg of calcium, 22 mg of phosphorous, 1,334 IU of beta-carotene, 1 mg of iron, 0.02 mg of thiamin, 0.04 mg of riboflavin, 0.3 mg of niacin, 10 mg of Vitamin C, 48.9 IU of Vitamin E
Ewedu is a great option for those trying to loose weight.  1 cup mixed ewedu soup with a handful large prawns and no oil has less than  100 calories in comparison to same amount of Egusi with over 400 calories
Ingredients:

3 cups of fresh ewedu leaves (de-veined and finely chopped)
2 cups of water
¼ teaspoon Akaun (cooking potash)
1 teaspoon locust beans (Optional)
1 cube magi
Salt to taste
Direction:

Place a medium size pot on high heat, add in the water and bring to a rolling boil. Add in the Akaun
Reduce the heat to medium; add in the fresh ewedu leaves. Simmer for 10-15minutes or until the leaves are very tender
Add in the locust beans, magi and salt. Stir. Taste and adjust for seasoning
Simmer for another 5mins.
Your ewedu is ready to serve.

Industrial Information
The stem of the ewedu plant play a very important role as an industrial-grade fiber. It is second only to cotton as the most widely produced fiber. Jute fiber comes from the stem and ribbon (outer skin) of the  plant. The fibers are first extracted by retting  and the resulting by product is used to make sacks, coarse cloth, curtains, chair coverings, carpets and area rugs.

Have you ever tried Ewedu soup?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by okonja(m): 9:59pm On Apr 09, 2015
I just finish this now.

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Jinyjagz(m): 10:00pm On Apr 09, 2015
i heard it also hlp to fight Ebola

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by VickyRotex(f): 10:00pm On Apr 09, 2015
Yes ke... Gimme Amala and Ewedu with gbegiri and I'm your friend grin tongue cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Dopeyomi(m): 10:01pm On Apr 09, 2015
Ąήđ that's what I took tonight Amala ąήđ ewedu inconjuction' with Gbegiri ąήđ stew.. alongside Fried fish

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Adesiji77: 10:01pm On Apr 09, 2015
Herzumpther:
Really? Nice.

Herz, not my write-up o grin

Thank God you have your answer now cheesy

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Adesiji77: 10:02pm On Apr 09, 2015
VickyRotex:
Yes ke... Gimme Amala and Ewedu with gbegiri and I'm your friend grin tongue cry

Come to Ibadan cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by VickyRotex(f): 10:03pm On Apr 09, 2015
dunkem21:

Any other way out
candycrushsoda:

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by fikky2013(f): 10:04pm On Apr 09, 2015
dunkem21:

Any other way out

Make use of your blender

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by VickyRotex(f): 10:04pm On Apr 09, 2015
Adesiji77:

Come to Ibadan cheesy

On my way grin

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Vismat(f): 10:06pm On Apr 09, 2015
Aikon:
The best combo - Amala and ewedu plus gbegiri. Where are my Ibadan bobos annd babes cheesy
confirmed, here we are

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by geedeex2(m): 10:07pm On Apr 09, 2015
Ewedu?
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Nobody: 10:07pm On Apr 09, 2015
Dopeyomi:
Ąήđ that's what I took tonight Amala ąήđ ewedu inconjuction' with Gbegiri ąήđ stew.. alongside Fried fish

Abeg , he don do make u no shoot us for nairaland ooo, point d gun to shekau head........hahahaha grin grin grin

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Nairalander Buys A Big Puff Adder Along Akure-Ekiti Road, Butchers & Cooks It / Birthday Cakes / A Lady Is Selling Fried Plantain For N4000 On Twitter. Guys React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.