Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,724 members, 7,820,512 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:16 PM

Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? (2727 Views)

Before You Judge That Man By His Religion Or Tribe...read This. / How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / Is Christianity True? The Greatest Conspiracy Ever (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by affee(f): 9:51am On Sep 23, 2008
I was born into a christian family
gave my life to Christ at the age of 8
and I have lived my whole life as a Believer.
with the help of the Holy Spirit I live a life that is Pleasing to God.[b][/b]

I know and believe that Christianity is not a religion
IT IS A WAY OF LIFE.

I say this because the lives most people that say they are christians don't even reflect it.
You only know they are christians on sundays.

What do you think is chritianity just a religion or is it a way of life?

Atheist NO ENTRY
NO cussing,insults or anything that would not please GOD.
thanks.

Shalom
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Gamine(f): 10:54am On Sep 23, 2008
Well, the thing is.

Christianity is all about living Christ Like, it dosnt hurt anyone to, but i know its downright hard

some times.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by PastorAIO: 10:58am On Sep 23, 2008
I've always wondered about this and never got a response.  Can anyone tell me of any religion that ISN'T a way of life?

I was once going to start a crusade against False Dichotomies but then nothing came of it. It is not too late to start.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Gamine(f): 3:52pm On Sep 23, 2008
Pardon us sir.

Our Use of English.

Religion can indeed be described as a way of life.

But i doubt Jesus came to Establish a "Religion" (organized)

He came to save lives, thats all.

1 Like

Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by bindex(m): 5:17pm On Sep 23, 2008
Gamine:

Pardon us sir.

Our Use of English.

Religion can indeed be described as a way of life.

But i doubt Jesus came to Establish a "Religion" (organized)

He came to save lives, thats all.

Mohammed SAW the last prophet of Allah was sent to save lives too
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by KunleOshob(m): 5:30pm On Sep 23, 2008
How could mohamed have been sent to save lives judging from the number of wars and people he as inspired to be slaugthered which is still going on today
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Gamine(f): 6:12pm On Sep 23, 2008
lolol
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Lady2(f): 6:27pm On Sep 23, 2008
I would really like for someone to give me a definition of religion because last time I checked your religion directs your way of life. If you were a muslim you lived life a certain way and when you became christian you lived it the christian way, I mean seriously can we please change the slander that has been placed on religion.

Your religion is your way of life.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by AKO1(m): 6:37pm On Sep 23, 2008
~Lady~:

I would really like for someone to give me a definition of religion because last time I checked your religion directs your way of life. If you were a muslim you lived life a certain way and when you became christian you lived it the christian way, I mean seriously can we please change the slander that has been placed on religion.

Your religion is your way of life.

The reason why I believe that affee is confused is that a lot of people profess a certain religion yet their lifestyles are nothing compared to the dictates of their religion.
I see it as food for thought.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Lady2(f): 6:54pm On Sep 23, 2008
The reason why I believe that affee is confused is that a lot of people profess a certain religion yet their lifestyles are nothing compared to the dictates of their religion.

Then affee should learn more about what religion is, and affee should know more about her religion.

It is not necessarily food for thought, because it is very evident and not complicated. People are people, they're humans, and affee should know that.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by affee(f): 7:48pm On Sep 23, 2008
A_K_O:

that is it
why do I only talk,act,sing and do every other thing like a christian when I am in the prescence of my pastor,priest or a christian brother and on sundays?

we all know it's true
be truthful to urself.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Lady2(f): 7:56pm On Sep 23, 2008
that is it
why do I only talk,act,sing and do every other thing like a christian when I am in the prescence of my pastor,priest or a christian brother and on sundays?

Then that is your problem. You need to start devoting your entire life to God.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by affee(f): 8:19pm On Sep 23, 2008
~Lady~:

Then that is your problem. You need to start devoting your entire life to God.
It should not be my problem only but the problem of every true christian.
We should be worried about what we are doing to the name of Christ

My life is devoted totally to God
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Lady2(f): 8:38pm On Sep 23, 2008
It should not be my problem only but the problem of every true christian.
We should be worried about what we are doing to the name of Christ

Yes it is every Christians duty to make sure that their life is devoted to God.

My life is devoted totally to God

Are you sure about that? Stating it is one thing, but doing it is another. You can profess a faith you do not live out.
This is what you said dear
that is it

we all know it's true
be truthful to yourself.

If you are truly devoted to God, you won't be talking, singing, acting and doing things like a Christian only when you are in the presence of your pastor, priest, brother or on sundays. You would do it everyday and everywhere.

You already told us you are not devout by stating making the statement posted above, so to lie about it, is truly showing that you are not devout. Don't try to make yourself feel better by seeing who else is doing it along with you, don't ask us to be truthful to ourselves, because you are not even truthful to yourself.

I am truthful to myself, and I profess my faith everywhere I go, yes I even walk on campus praying the rosary for all to see, and I am not ashamed to do the sign of the cross even while standing at the intersection.
So dear just because you have that as your problem does not mean the rest of us do.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by pilgrim1(f): 10:27pm On Sep 23, 2008
bindex:

Mohammed SAW the last prophet of Allah was sent to save lives too

Please read context before drawing a parallel - when Christians talk about Jesus Christ being the Savour, it does not mean what you assume.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by pilgrim1(f): 10:29pm On Sep 23, 2008
Pastor AIO:

I was once going to start a crusade against False Dichotomies but then nothing came of it. It is not too late to start.

Good one. Please begin and let's share with you.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 2:33am On Sep 24, 2008
~Lady~:

I am truthful to myself, and I profess my faith everywhere I go, yes I even walk on campus praying the rosary for all to see, and I am not ashamed to do the sign of the cross even while standing at the intersection.
So dear just because you have that as your problem does not mean the rest of us do.

where are all these rituals in the bible?
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by pilgrim1(f): 7:57am On Sep 24, 2008
@topic,

I think it all depends on several factors - it depends on what context people speak about Christianity as well as who's using the phrase. As Christians, we like to argue more along the lines that Christianity is a way of life (and most other religions would argue the same). However, there are elements of our Christian life that are religious - such as James makes clear when he spoke about pure and undefiled religion before the Father in reference to our Christian lives [James 1:27].

On the other hand, many who often argue about the core values of our Christian faith often use the term "religion" particularly in reference to christianity. How often have atheists used the term "religion" when they know that they actually meant "Christianity"?

However, the problem that such discussions or arguments project is that it is not so easy to define "religion", just as there is no single definition of "atheism" agreed upon even among atheists themselves. Often, when people are discussing either "Christianity" or "religion", it is pertinent to ensure clarity of terms before drawing any conclusions.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Lady2(f): 9:18pm On Sep 24, 2008

Where is the word Trinity in the Bible?
Where does it say that you should go by scripture alone?

Is the cross not the sign of Christianity or is it of the devil now? If it is, does that mean that Jesus is of the devil?

The rosary and sign of the cross are not rituals stop lying. The rosary is a prayer, if I should stop does that mean the Bible states that I should stop praying?
The rosary is the prayer of the gospels as in you meditate on the lives of Jesus and Mary and you imitate the virtues learnt in a particular even in their life. Is that wrong? Are we supposed to practice virtue or not?

Maybe people should get educated on things before they open their mouths to speak. Instead of speaking out of ignorance.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 11:56pm On Sep 24, 2008
~Lady~:

Where is the word Trinity in the Bible?

As an english word it does not exist in the bible but as a doctrine it DOES EXIST in the bible. We've had enough of this roundabout attempt to pass off man's doctrine into the bible through the back door of heresy.

~Lady~:

Where does it say that you should go by scripture alone?

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

2 timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Where does it say we shld import extra-biblical heresy again?

~Lady~:

Is the cross not the sign of Christianity or is it of the devil now? If it is, does that mean that Jesus is of the devil?

The cross is not the sign of christianity, the cross is merely a tool of Christ's death and eventual resurrection without which there is no salvation.
The cross was where Christ died, but without His resurrection from the sepulchre there would have been no blood to cleanse us from unrighteousness and no hope for eternal life. Do you also use the sepulchre for a sign of christianity?

~Lady~:

The rosary and sign of the cross are not rituals stop lying. The rosary is a prayer, if I should stop does that mean the Bible states that I should stop praying?

I said nothing of the sort . . . i asked a simple question - show me where the rosary is regarded as a prayer IN THE BIBLE. Christ taught the disciples to pray . . . where was His rosary?
Enough of roundabout heresy.

~Lady~:

The rosary is the prayer of the gospels as in you meditate on the lives of Jesus and Mary and you imitate the virtues learnt in a particular even in their life. Is that wrong? Are we supposed to practice virtue or not?

Show me where this is encouraged by the early apostles please.

~Lady~:

Maybe people should get educated on things before they open their mouths to speak. Instead of speaking out of ignorance.

Many people, especially those who falsely profess a gospel they do not follow, would do well to go back and dig their bibles before practicing rituals that are unbiblical.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Lady2(f): 12:11am On Sep 25, 2008
As an english word it does not exist in the bible but as a doctrine it DOES EXIST in the bible. We've had enough of this roundabout attempt to pass off man's doctrine into the bible through the back door of heresy.

AND WHO DEFINED IT?? PUTTING AN END TO THE HERESIES??

Matthew 4:4 But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.

2 timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

HAHAHAH Well I gotta give you credit for trying. But you and I both know that those pasages do not say that scripture alone should be used, and well we know that scripture itself is sacred tradition because there were no reporters when the events took place. The books in the New Testament were written years after the death of Christ, and it was by sacred tradition that it was written down. Even Luke and Mark weren't apostles and they consulted others on the events that took place, and St. Paul did tell Timothy to hang on to what has been taught to us.
So when you can prove that scripture isn't sacred tradition, I would take you seriously.
But we both know you can't, because well it is based on the traditions of the apostles that we know certain things were done a certain way and it hasn't changed for 2000 years.

Where does it say we shld import extra-biblical heresy again?

Well we haven't used any extra-biblical heresy infact we've been the defenders of the Scripture, that's why when heretics questioned the divinity of Jesus we put an end to it by defining the Trinity dogma, so that you today can know the truth. grin grin

The cross is not the sign of christianity, the cross is merely a tool of Christ's death and eventual resurrection without which there is no salvation.
The cross was where Christ died, but without His resurrection from the sepulchre there would have been no blood to cleanse us from unrighteousness and no hope for eternal life. Do you also use the sepulchre for a sign of christianity?

Well we know that the cross isn't just merely a tool it is the way we live our life, because Jesus did say we should take up our cross and follow him, matthew 10:38 this was before he died on the cross by the way.
we also see it in matthew 16:24 that is the way of discipleship, we have to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Christ, so what differentiates us from everyone is that we follow Christ by taking up our crosses.

What does St. Paul say about the cross well he let's us know in 1 Corinthians 18 For the word of the cross, to them indeed that perish, is foolishness; but to them that are saved, that is, to us, it is the power of God

Galatians 2:19 For I, through the law, am dead to the law, that I may live to God: with Christ I am nailed to the cross

There are many many references on the cross and our life, so you see the cross is not a mere tool, it is our life.

You are a joke, do you know what the sepulchre is?

I said nothing of the sort . . . i asked a simple question - show me where the rosary is regarded as a prayer IN THE BIBLE. Christ taught the disciples to pray . . . where was His rosary?
Enough of roundabout heresy.

Don't lie, you stated above about it being a ritual, remember this

And you wanna know where it is in the Bible, well here it is.

The Joyful Mysteries
1 The annunciation - Humility
Luke 1:30-31 Then the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God. Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you shall name him Jesus.

2 The Visitation - Charity
Luke 1:41-42 Elizabeth filed with the holy Spirit, cried out in a loud voice and said, "Most blessed ae you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb

3 The Birth of Jesus - Love of God
Luke 2:6-7 While they were there, thee time came for her to have her child, and she gave birth to her firstborn son. She wrapped him in swaddling clothes and laid him in a manger, because there was no room for them in the inn.

Look there are more and it will take me too long to write them down, but do you have a problem with us reading the word of God and meditating on it? Because that's the prayer of he Rosary.
If you think that the Bible must state that a certain verse must be used in prayer before it can be used then you should use Psalm 23, but I know you know it, and no where is it written in the Bible that you should use it as a prayer.

Show me where this is encouraged by the early apostles please.

GLADLY!!!

Well there are too many Christian virtues, but let me just hint at the most known.
Starting with my favorite which is Love, and here's St. Paul on it: 1 Corintians 13

1 If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2 And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.
3 And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.
4 Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up;
5 Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil;
6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth; 7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. 8 Charity never falleth away: whether prophecies shall be made void, or tongues shall cease, or knowledge shall be destroyed.
9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away.

So you see, we are to strive for it.

Hebrews 10:36 on patience
36 For patience is necessary for you; that, doing the will of God, you may receive the promise

Romans 12:11 on diligence

In carefulness not slothful. In spirit fervent. Serving the Lord

Now are you sure you want me to continue, because if we are not supposed to practice virtue then what's the point of being a Christian, you live out virtues, that we learn from God. That tells people we're Christians. But I am so amazed that Bible believing David doesn't even know that virtue is needed.

Many people, especially those who falsely profess a gospel they do not follow, would do well to go back and dig their bibles before practicing rituals that are unbiblical

Many people will do well to actually practice what Christ teaches instead of running up and down their homes screaming shamaananamsdahakabajda THANK YOU JEEESUUUSS, YEEESSSS JEEEESUUUUSSSS, HOLY GHOST FIRE, HOLY GHOST FIRE, HOLY GHOST FIRE, I REBUKE YOU DEVIL, I REBUKE YOU DEVIL and they don't even what it is to be a Christian, they don't know what their faith is. They don't know what the cross is, they don't know what virtues are, yet the read the Bible and quote it left and right, and feel that if they memorize it and quote it to everyone they can deceive everyone to think that they know what they're talking about. They make themselves feel ver important and come to nairaland and profess themselves to be men of God.
Mister go and read the Bible, learn the mysteries of Christ, learn what Christ's cross means and what it means to take up the cross and follow Christ, learn please learn.
Then you can step up to me to speak on the matters of the Bible.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 12:18am On Sep 25, 2008
~Lady~:

AND WHO DEFINED IT?? PUTTING AN END TO THE HERESIES??

The bible defined it, thank you.

~Lady~:

HAHAHAH Well I gotta give you credit for trying. But you and I both know that those pasages do not say that scripture alone should be used, and well we know that scripture itself is sacred tradition because there were no reporters when the events took place. The books in the New Testament were written years after the death of Christ, and it was by sacred tradition that it was written down. Even Luke and Mark weren't apostles and they consulted others on the events that took place, and St. Paul did tell Timothy to hang on to what has been taught to us.
So when you can prove that scripture isn't sacred tradition, I would take you seriously.
But we both know you can't, because well it is based on the traditions of the apostles that we know certain things were done a certain way and it hasn't changed for 2000 years.

Show us the apostolic tradition of using rosaries. All this is long winded verbal gymnastics.

~Lady~:

Well we haven't used any extra-biblical heresy infact we've been the defenders of the Scripture, that's why when heretics questioned the divinity of Jesus we put an end to it by defining the Trinity dogma, so that you today can know the truth. grin grin

That in itself is heresy. God never commissioned anyone to defend Him. When Peter rose to cut the ears of the men who arrested Christ what did He do?

~Lady~:

Well we know that the cross isn't just merely a tool it is the way we live our life, because Jesus did say we should take up our cross and follow him, matthew 10:38 this was before he died on the cross by the way.

What "cross" was He talking about? The tiny miniature cross hanging from your neck?
please read with understanding next time - did you know that when Christ made that statement in Matthew 10 no one knew He was going to die by the cross? How then could He have been talking of a physical cross?

The same Christ in the very next chapter says - Matthew 11:28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Was He talking of a physical yoke too? How could He say He would give those who already labour some rest in verse 28 and then proceed to give them a yoke in verse 29 and burden in verse 30?

Do you people read the bible with closed minds?

I find it unbelievable that a fellow christian can believe that what Christ meant was for us to be lugging physical crosses around.

~Lady~:

we also see it in matthew 16:24 that is the way of discipleship, we have to deny ourselves and take up our cross and follow Christ, so what differentiates us from everyone is that we follow Christ by taking up our crosses.

What "cross" was He talking about here? A physical cross? So if i just go around with a cross around my neck i'D be fulfilling Matthew 16:24?
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by mazaje(m): 12:50am On Sep 25, 2008
Religious wars. . . . . . . keep them coming catholics and protestant. . . . .

How could mohamed have been sent to save lives judging from the number of wars and people he as inspired to be slaugthered which is still going on today Huh

The god of the old testament did worse than mohammed go look it up. . . . . . . .
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Lady2(f): 1:08am On Sep 25, 2008
The bible defined it, thank you.

Wrong, the Bible spoke of it, and the Catholic Church clearly defined it, because even till today people read and stil don't understand. You should know because you don't understand.

Show us the apostolic tradition of using rosaries. All this is long winded verbal gymnastics

What? Nothing to refute that the Bible is sacred tradition? Oh my word, david and here I thought you had some proof of that.
The rosary is not a sacred tradition, you don't have to pray it, it is by choice, seriously are you so desperate, but you want to know about the rosary and its history well here it is.

The rosary started in the early church when the monks would count and recite the psalms, they kept count with beads just as the Jews did in the past when they prayed, it was a way that illiterate people would keep count of the prayers that they said, and then in the 12th century Mary appeared to St. Dominic and asked him to promote the prayer of the rosary and ever since then the rosary has been one of the famous prayers and effective prayers of the Church.

That in itself is heresy. God never commissioned anyone to defend Him. When Peter rose to cut the ears of the men who arrested Christ what did He do?

Really? and here i thought that all this time you have been going around on nairaland being the defender of the truth, or is that not what you think you're doing right now?
And I am so glad that you mentioned Peter I believe he's the one who stated this: 15 But sanctify the Lord Christ in your hearts, being ready always to satisfy every one that asketh you a reason of that hope which is in you. 1 Peter 3:15

What "cross" was He talking about? The tiny miniature cross hanging from your neck?
please read with understanding next time - did you know that when Christ made that statement in Matthew 10 no one knew He was going to die by the cross? How then could He have been talking of a physical cross?

He was talking about our struggles in life and our sufferings, I was really hoping that you would understand what a cross is, I figure an atheist or a non-christian won't understand what the cross stands for, but for you to not understand, I mean that's shameful especially since you've been going around this board reproving everyone.

Was He talking of a physical yoke too? How could He say He would give those who already labour some rest in verse 28 and then proceed to give them a yoke in verse 29 and burden in verse 30?

Well yeah, he was, he was talking about our yokes spiritually, physically, emotionally, mentally, socially, anything having to so with you as a human, he was talking about that. Your Spirit is not separate from your body so it is also phycial, unless yo're dead. Are you dead david?

I find it unbelievable that a fellow christian can believe that what Christ meant was for us to be lugging physical crosses around.

This is so laughable, you know very well that you didn't know what I was talking about until I reminded you. Pride is a vice you know, the way to conquer it is humility.

What "cross" was He talking about here? A physical cross? So if i just go around with a cross around my neck i'D be fulfilling Matthew 16:24?

HAHAHA you're so desperate, because you know very well I was explicit in my explanation of the cross I was talking about there. Funny how you didn't comment on the passages I quoted from St. Paul's letter, wasn't St. Paul talking about the cross I was talking about? Or is it something else, because this time it comes from St. Paul?
So your response?

Religious wars. . . . . . . keep them coming catholics and protestant. . . . .

Who's warring? And no God didn't do worse than mo. Maybe you should try reading it in the context it is written. You know like in history, you know like cause and effect, you know self-defense, and then tell us how it is that God conquered those other nations. I remember one, i can't pinpoint it right now on the Bible but a way that the Israelites defeated a major army was that God told them to light like pots or something like that and surround their camp with it, and because they were on a hill, the big army saw the light and assumed that they had a big army so they retreated, yup that's a way of smiting those people isn't it.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 1:32am On Sep 25, 2008
~Lady~:

Wrong, the Bible spoke of it, and the Catholic Church clearly defined it, because even till today people read and stil don't understand. You should know because you don't understand.

What a temple of pride and heresy. Did the catholic church also define it to John who wrote this down explicitly in the book of 1 John? Was it the catholic church that defined it to Isaiah when he prophesied and called Jesus Christ the EVERLASTING FATHER?
Was it the catholic church who defined it to Philip in the book of John?

~Lady~:

What? Nothing to refute that the Bible is sacred tradition? Oh my word, david and here I thought you had some proof of that.

i asked a very simple question at the begining of ur usual verbose meaningless verbal gymnastics . . . where is the use of the rosary commanded in the bible? What did i get in response? Tons of words saying nothing . . . why shld i be the one to supply proof? what proof?

~Lady~:

The rosary is not a sacred tradition, you don't have to pray it, it is by choice, seriously are you so desperate, but you want to know about the rosary and its history well here it is.

Simple question - where is it in the bible?

~Lady~:

The rosary started in the early church when the monks would count and recite the psalms, they kept count with beads just as the Jews did in the past when they prayed, it was a way that illiterate people would keep count of the prayers that they said, and then in the 12th century Mary appeared to St. Dominic and asked him to promote the prayer of the rosary and ever since then the rosary has been one of the famous prayers and effective prayers of the Church.

There were no monks in the early church.
simple question again - where did Christ teach his disciples to pray with rosaries?

~Lady~:

Really? and here i thought that all this time you have been going around on nairaland being the defender of the truth, or is that not what you think you're doing right now?
And I am so glad that you mentioned Peter I believe he's the one who stated this: 15 But sanctify the Lord Christ in your hearts, being ready always to satisfy every one that asketh you a reason of that hope which is in you. 1 Peter 3:15

Simple question again - where is the rosary and the veneration of the cross in the bible?

~Lady~:

He was talking about our struggles in life and our sufferings, I was really hoping that you would understand what a cross is, I figure an atheist or a non-christian won't understand what the cross stands for, but for you to not understand, I mean that's shameful especially since you've been going around this board reproving everyone.

I understood it perfectly, don't put words in my mouth out of desperation to paint me ignorant.

Simple question - if the cross refers to our "struggles in life and our sufferings" why then is it a prominent symbol of veneration in your church?

~Lady~:

Well yeah, he was, he was talking about our yokes spiritually, physically, emotionally, mentally, socially, anything having to so with you as a human, he was talking about that. Your Spirit is not separate from your body so it is also phycial, unless yo're dead. Are you dead david?

Again i understood it perfectly, i don't need lessons from you. thank you. Simply answer the questions put to you as honestly and as concisely as possible.

~Lady~:

HAHAHA you're so desperate, because you know very well I was explicit in my explanation of the cross I was talking about there. Funny how you didn't comment on the passages I quoted from St. Paul's letter, wasn't St. Paul talking about the cross I was talking about? Or is it something else, because this time it comes from St. Paul?

[size=13pt]I think you shld be HONEST enough to also indicate that you included those verses from Paul WELL AFTER i had responded to your earlier post.[/size] I suppose it is common knowledge that you do return to edit your posts.

So lets go back and see what brother Paul has to say - good . . . he mentions the "cross" several times in his epistles (that again is common knowledge) . . . even a 5 yr old knows that.

simple question - why is the cross a venerated physical symbol in the catholic church?

thank you.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 1:35am On Sep 25, 2008
I asked a simple one-sentence question . . .

simply show me where the use of the rosary, the veneration of mary (as an intercessor) and the physical symbol of the cross is venerated in the bible.

All i get (as is usual with desperate and heretical organisations) is a long-winded tome answering none of the questions.

Post another long sermon, i wont be there to read except to just check for the answers to the original questions.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 1:39am On Sep 25, 2008
~Lady~:

The rosary started in the early church when the monks would count and recite the psalms, they kept count with beads just as the Jews did in the past when they prayed, it was a way that illiterate people would keep count of the prayers that they said, and then [size=18pt]in the 12th century Mary appeared to St. Dominic and asked him to promote the prayer of the rosary and ever since then the rosary has been one of the famous prayers and effective prayers of the Church. [/size]

Here is what my bible has to say - 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

There are only 2 instances where dead people appeared to the living -

1. Saul and the witch of Endor (we know what end Saul and his sons met).

2. The transfiguration.

Again i ask a simple question - kindly show me in the bible where the dead appeared unto the living by the unction of God.

the bible has more to say - Ecclesiates 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.
6 Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

I ask again - where in the bible are we asked to communicate with dead "saints", virgin Mary's or loved ones?
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Lady2(f): 3:31am On Sep 25, 2008
What a temple of pride and heresy. Did the catholic church also define it to John who wrote this down explicitly in the book of 1 John? Was it the catholic church that defined it to Isaiah when he prophesied and called Jesus Christ the EVERLASTING FATHER?
Was it the catholic church who defined it to Philip in the book of John?

So John called it the Trinity. You can stop calling it the Trinity you know since it's our word and you know we're heretics, why use the same word that heretics use? You should from heretics and everything having to do with them? so why bother yourself with the word trinity? afterall we're the ones that call it the trinity.

i asked a very simple question at the begining of ur usual verbose meaningless verbal gymnastics . . . where is the use of the rosary commanded in the bible? What did i get in response? Tons of words saying nothing . . . why shld i be the one to supply proof? what proof?

Um that was not even in reference to the rosary and yu know it, I was responding to your post of matthew something i believe. yeah. so please stop being deceitful. and you still can't refute sacred tradition.

Simple question - where is it in the bible?

are you bored? or what? you asked for the rosary in sacred tradition and now you change the question? you are so deceitful. you know very well that the word rosary is not in the bible but the prayers that make up the rosary are in the bible. and i already gave you references.

you stil haven't answered my own questions, where does it say that psalm 23 must or should be prayed and where does it say that the prayers you said today (if infact you prayed today) are in the bible?

The Hail MARY PRAYER IS found in Luke 1:28 and 42
The Our Father is found in Matthew 6:9-13
So you got a problem with them. You got a problem with meditating on the events of Jesus and Mary's life?
If you do too bad, take it up with God.

There were no monks in the early church.
check again.

simple question again - where did Christ teach his disciples to pray with rosaries?

Where did Jesus ask you to pray Psalm 23 or to meditate on the scripture and actually here's where the Lord says we should pray matthew 6:9-13 that is a part of the rosary prayer, is that wrong too. the only prayer that Christ taught us to pray is the Lord's prayer is that the only prayer you say?

understood it perfectly, don't put words in my mouth out of desperation to paint me ignorant.

oh i don't have to, you that very well yourself. when you ask where does it say that the apsotles ask us to practice virtue, you show how ignorant you are.

Simple question - if the cross refers to our "struggles in life and our sufferings" why then is it a prominent symbol of veneration in your church?
Forgive us but we think that Jesus' suffering is important to us and venerating it is the least we can do, after all those struggles and sufferings were for us, we just think it's only respectful that we honour it.

I think you shld be HONEST enough to also indicate that you included those verses from Paul WELL AFTER i had responded to your earlier post.
Actually that wasn't intentional, but I do understand because my computer has issues, I noticedI posted the same thing twice. My computer is really slow, hence why it takes me a while to post.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by mazaje(m): 10:54am On Sep 25, 2008
@ lady

what do you think you are doing? why are you running around in a circle? i am just laughing my ass out. . . . . .  nice try any way. . . .

Who's warring? And no God didn't do worse than mo. Maybe you should try reading it in the context it is written. You know like in history, you know like cause and effect, you know self-defense, and then tell us how it is that God conquered those other nations. I remember one, i can't pinpoint it right now on the Bible but a way that the Israelites defeated a major army was that God told them to light like pots or something like that and surround their camp with it, and because they were on a hill, the big army saw the light and assumed that they had a big army so they retreated, yup that's a way of smiting those people isn't it.

here is what your god did to innocent people. . . . . . . God sends his lions out again to kill a group of people who were new to Samaria. The reason for this atrocity is their lack of worship, even though they were never informed of the proper worship methods (2 Kings 17:24-26). However, this supposedly significant detail didn’t halt God from killing them. He had to have known that he would eventually murder this party, but instead of properly instructing them, God just kills them. There’s not even a miniscule resemblance of justice in the Hebrew god.

In an exploit of inconceivable irrationality, God sends forth two bears to kill forty-two children for making fun of Elisha’s bald head (2 Kings 2:23-24). Why would the omnibenevolent God feel the necessity to have two bears viciously maul little children for acting like…children? This is supposed to be the same “wonderful” and “loving” God. . . . . . He inflicts a number of people with blindness because Elisha asks him to do so (2 Kings 6:18). He causes a seven-year famine without specifying a reason (2 Kings 8:1). God kills Jeroboam because he’s the leader of the enemies (2 Chronicles 13:20). He kills Nabal without specifying a reason, but it’s probably because David desires his wife and other belongings (1 Samuel 25:38). God sends an angel to kill 185,000 men in an Assyrian camp because they’re enemies of his people (2 Kings 19:31-35). He plagues Azariah, a man labeled as a good King, with leprosy for the remainder of his life because he allows people to burn incense in a location displeasing to God (2 Kings 15:1-5). This is another great example of an overbearing punishment for breaking an asinine law. Some of our fellow humans were obviously destined to meet death early in life without any chance of redemption in God’s eyes.

now what is the difference between the biblical god of the old testament and mohammed/allah? the answer is NIL. . . . . . they are both tribal/ethnic, manovalent, vindictive, angry and spiteful. . . . . . . thank goodness the hebrew god moved with humanity and changed from his evil ways and modus operendi
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by IDINRETE: 12:50pm On Sep 25, 2008
mazaje:

@ lady

what do you think you are doing? why are you running around in a circle? i am just laughing my ass out. . . . . . nice try any way. . . .

here is what your god did to innocent people. . . . . . . God sends his lions out again to kill a group of people who were new to Samaria. The reason for this atrocity is their lack of worship, even though they were never informed of the proper worship methods (2 Kings 17:24-26). However, this supposedly significant detail didn’t halt God from killing them. He had to have known that he would eventually murder this party, but instead of properly instructing them, God just kills them. There’s not even a miniscule resemblance of justice in the Hebrew god.

In an exploit of inconceivable irrationality, God sends forth two bears to kill forty-two children for making fun of Elisha’s bald head (2 Kings 2:23-24). Why would the omnibenevolent God feel the necessity to have two bears viciously maul little children for acting like…children? This is supposed to be the same “wonderful” and “loving” God. . . . . . He inflicts a number of people with blindness because Elisha asks him to do so (2 Kings 6:18). He causes a seven-year famine without specifying a reason (2 Kings 8:1). God kills Jeroboam because he’s the leader of the enemies (2 Chronicles 13:20). He kills Nabal without specifying a reason, but it’s probably because David desires his wife and other belongings (1 Samuel 25:38). God sends an angel to kill 185,000 men in an Assyrian camp because they’re enemies of his people (2 Kings 19:31-35). He plagues Azariah, a man labeled as a good King, with leprosy for the remainder of his life because he allows people to burn incense in a location displeasing to God (2 Kings 15:1-5). This is another great example of an overbearing punishment for breaking an asinine law. Some of our fellow humans were obviously destined to meet death early in life without any chance of redemption in God’s eyes.

now what is the difference between the biblical god of the old testament and mohammed/allah? the answer is NIL. . . . . . they are both tribal/ethnic, manovalent, vindictive, angry and spiteful. . . . . . . thank god the hebrew god moved with humanity and changed from his evil ways and modus operendi

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

mazaje be very careful o, with this your outburts you are hereby condemned to hell fire, for raising such accusation against jesus dad,  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Lady2(f): 3:24pm On Sep 25, 2008

now what is the difference between the biblical god of the old testament and mohammed/allah? the answer is NIL. . . . . . they are both tribal/ethnic, manovalent, vindictive, angry and spiteful. . . . . . . thank god the hebrew god moved with humanity and changed from his evil ways and modus operendi

maybe you should learn to start reading things in the full context instead of picking up several verses, what is the connection with the people that settled in samria to the King of Assyria and what did the King of Assyria do to the Israelites.

No doubt God in the past had to show his might and valor and those who were against his people he dealt with, just as he would deal with those who are against his children.
Plain and simple, but please realise that the Old Testament is a history book and things must have taken place in the past in order for things in the future to happen.

The Israelites had always been oppressed, and they too were severely punished for their crimes against God.
You also have to know that the difference between then and now is that Christ came to set things in the order it was always meant to be. So instead of Israel alone being in the covenant with God and always having his protection, all those who accept him and enter into his covenant are also protected by him.
Re: Is Christianity Just A Religion Or A Way Of Life? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2008
This woman has a penchant of taking 22 pages to answer a 2 sentence question. why is that? Its so off-putting you begin to wonder if it isnt a deliberate attempt to obfuscate issues.

~Lady~:

Um that was not even in reference to the rosary and yu know it, I was responding to your post of matthew something i believe. yeah. so please stop being deceitful. and you still can't refute sacred tradition.

Simple question again - where is the use of the rosary advocated in the bible?
Sacred tradition has no place in my bible . . . i'm not even bothering to refute it.

~Lady~:

are you bored? or what? you asked for the rosary in sacred tradition and now you change the question? you are so deceitful. you know very well that the word rosary is not in the bible but the prayers that make up the rosary are in the bible. and i already gave you references.

I'm tired of your constant mudslinging . . . here is my ORIGINAL question - [size=18pt]where are all these rituals in the bible?[/size]

Now where did i ask for the use of the rosary in sacred tradition?

~Lady~:

you stil haven't answered my own questions, where does it say that psalm 23 must or should be prayed and where does it say that the prayers you said today (if infact you prayed today) are in the bible?

Did you answer the very first question i asked you? Maybe if you stopped trying to use "questions" to obfuscate having to answer to the heresy in your church that you cant defend pple will start taking u seriously.

Where did i ever mention Ps 23[b] AT ALL or as a prayer?[/b] Do you just make things up as you go along? Where did i ever insinuate that the prayers we say MUST be in the bible?

~Lady~:

The Hail MARY PRAYER IS found in Luke 1:28 and 42

Was the angel praying in verse 28? Was Elizabeth praying in verse 42? Do you understand the meaning of prayer AT ALL? To whom where they "praying" to?

~Lady~:

The Our Father is found in Matthew 6:9-13

Again the issue is NOTHING to do with the Lord's prayer. Infact my question was simple . . . when Christ taught the Lord's prayer did He teach them to use a rosary too? No one raised this as an issue . . . stop obfuscating issues!

~Lady~:

So you got a problem with them. You got a problem with meditating on the events of Jesus and Mary's life?

the bible is FULL of injunctions to meditate on the Lord . . . Ps 1.
We are not told to meditate on Mary's life . . . if you find it in your bible SHOW ME!

~Lady~:

Where did Jesus ask you to pray Psalm 23 or to meditate on the scripture and actually here's where the Lord says we should pray matthew 6:9-13 that is a part of the rosary prayer, is that wrong too. the only prayer that Christ taught us to pray is the Lord's prayer is that the only prayer you say?

This is a sign of serious confusion. You've repeated urself here again.

The Lord's prayer is a standard . . . WHO ASKED YOU TO USE A ROSARY TO SAY THE PRAYER?

~Lady~:

Forgive us but we think that Jesus' suffering is important to us and venerating it is the least we can do, after all those struggles and sufferings were for us, we just think it's only respectful that we honour it.

typical pharisaic attitude. They spent too much time obeying the laws of Moses they didnt notice the Messiah was already among them.
Spend too much time "venerating" Christ's sufferings . . . the most important thing is HE IS RISEN and now calleth all men to repent and be saved!

I also notice that you HYPOCRITICALLY avoided any reference to another important question - [size=18pt]is St. Mary's alleged appearance to St. dominic to commend the use of the rosary BIBLICAL?[/size]

(1) (2)

GREAT ERROR In Deeper Life Bible Church / Why Can't God Heal Amputees? / The Bitter Truth About Jesus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 176
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.