Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,592 members, 7,812,929 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:51 PM

love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria (17486 Views)

Cow Takes A Ride In Honda Accord 2007 / A Nairalanders Attemp @ Car Tuning (love-vendor My Ride) / Where Can I P.I.M.P My Ride In Abuja? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by chamotex(m): 9:14pm On Dec 06, 2008
You will have to sleep inside that car for the rest of your life cuzz awon boyz go surely nick that ride overnight. grin
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by casper(m): 5:44am On Dec 07, 2008
search the web for autographix, they  are in ikorodu, lagos. click http://www.facebook.com/people/Autographix-Co-Nig/808969017[/url]
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:21am On Dec 08, 2008
I see no reason why it's not viable in Nigeria.

I modify cars here in the UK, though the UK scene's quite different from how it would be in Nigeria.
Most of my clients are more concerned with extra engine performance and stopping power, as well as suspension upgrades.

The visual aspect tends to be secondary, though some do both at the same time.
There's nothing worse than a car that looks great, is visually appealing, yet will get trounced by an old beater that looks like it could barely move under it's own steam.

All depends on the look you're trying to achieve, I guess.

Here's an example of a modified car, without going overboard with massive spoilers and stuff. . .

http://deltavag.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0

Spoilers are designed to provide downforce on a powerful car - they work the opposite of an aircraft's wings.
Get it wrong, and they could actually generate enough lift to break traction between the tyres and the tarmac, not good!
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by arnold2g3(m): 11:00am On Dec 09, 2008
Its very possible in 9ja!
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by chamotex(m): 2:58pm On Dec 09, 2008
Yes but it could lead to some serious car jacking.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:32pm On Dec 09, 2008
Chamo, you're probably right.

On the other hand, a car that's very visually different from the norm stands out, and will be remembered by many. . .

Thieves tend to prefer standard-looking cars that draw little or no attention.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by chamotex(m): 5:13pm On Dec 09, 2008
Siena:

Chamo, you're probably right.

On the other hand, a car that's very visually different from the norm stands out, and will be remembered by many. . .

Thieves tend to prefer standard-looking cars that draw little or no attention.

True, if the car is very flashy, they might not want all the unnecessary attention

but the car could be stolen just to cruise around for a day or two before dumping it somewhere
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:09pm On Dec 29, 2008
I reckon it takes a very brave (stupid?) person to steal a car, just for the purpose of joyriding, when it's so visually different to the norm - too much chance of getting caught, just for the sake of a couple of hours driving around.

Now if it was being stolen to order, a bit different; the thieves are more likely to take the risk, but still preference is a car that "blends" with the rest.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by savanaha: 5:11pm On Dec 29, 2008
Yay Siena I've been looking for you, I have an auto question for you, well two.

There is this Audi but its 2001

Mileage: 98,997 miles
Engine: 4 Cyl.
Displacement: 1.80
Induction: Turbocharged
Cylinders: 4

Then there is a 2001 VW

Miles: 68062 miles
Engine type: 4 Cyl.
Cylinders: 4

so which one would be a better car.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 29, 2008
Savanaha, Audi and VW are from the same stock - Volkswagen is the parent company.

The Volkswagen Group consists of:

1) Audi
2) Bentley
3) Bugatti
4) Lamborghini
5) Seat
6) Skoda
7) Volkswagen

Audi has always been the luxury sector of Volksawgen AG, and though Audi and Volkswagen are mechanically similar -

Audi A3 1,8T = VW Golf 1,8T
Audi A4 1,8T = VW Passat 1,8T
Audi A6 2,8 quattro = VW Passat 2,8 Syncro
Audi A8 W12 = VW Phaeton W8
Audi Q7 = VW Touareg

Audi is a lot more luxurious than VW - they're built in different plants:

Audi built in Inglostadt, Germany (excluding TT, which is built in Gyor, Hungary)
VW built in Wolfsburg, Germany (excluding New Beetle, which is built in Puebla, Mexico, and the Phaeton, which is built in Dresden, Germany)

Quality control is different, with the Audi plant at Inglostadt being the strictest, a car with a minor flaw is rejected, though may be considered acceptable in the VW plant at Wolfsburg.

Audi is to VW what a Lexus is to Toyota - luxury.

Audi being the luxury sector, is the reason there are no commercial vehicles in the Audi range.
A 3 year-old Audi A4 2,0TFSI is worth more than a 2 year-old VW Passat with the same engine, Audi residual values are higher.

The Passat has always been perceived as the workhorse, and lose a big chunk of their value within the first 3 years.

Sorry about the history, just trying to give you an insight; the Audi is a better buy.
I personally would purchase a VW Passat to ferry my tools around, and retain my Audi as my luxury cruiser.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by savanaha: 9:30pm On Dec 29, 2008
Thanks for the explanation but I guess I should also explain the use. So I have two younger siblings going into undergrad in Fall '09 so we want to get them both 1 car. Essentially only one is probably going to get the car I think but which one is better for long distance travelling, more durable and longer lasting. Oh and I had a minor debate with someone (well your not in the US) that said it would be better to get a Honda because its more durable, gas efficient and if say something were to happen to the car honda parts are easier to find. I say I like the Audi or VW, and I thought that the Germain made cars are as good on gas as the Honda. Oh and since the VW has lower milage than the Audi (which is my personal favorite), the VW would be better. So they are roughly the same price based on your knowledge which one would be better?

Also for the price they are going (around $6,000USD) is it possible the milage clock was put back? Carfax has the history.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:46pm On Dec 29, 2008
Yes, CARFAX will have the mileage / usage history.

One thing I always tell people - low mileage does not guarantee a trouble-free car, what's more important is how the car was used, and run-in when it was new.

My Audi A4 Quattro Sport has covered 215,000 miles, and is still on the original engine, transmission (manual) and clutch.
Even the cylinder heads - it's a V6 have never been removed.

I have a client that owns an Audi Coupe quattro, as at August this year, it had covered 583,000 miles, it's had the cylinder head off, though not due to head gasket issues, but because I replaced the original KKK-24 turbo with a reconditioned KKK-26/27 hybrid, and removing the cylinder head gave me more room to work.

It's a '95 Coupe S2, 2,2 20V turbo 5 cylinder.
The turbo replacement took place at 547,000 miles, which is pretty good for a high-performance car that's running 315 horsepower, uprated to RS2 spec from the original 230 horsepower.

As for gas mileage, are there figures to support the the idea that the Honda or other Jap cars have better MPG than the Germans?
This myth seems to have come from God knows where, most folk will say so, because Mr A said so, Mr A was told by Mr B, who got his info from Mr Z, who has no idea the workings of an internal combustion engine.

Parts availability - there are lots of VW Passats in Nigeria, there are also Volkswagen dealerships too, so unless its Back-Street Joe Autos, who shouldn't really be working on any car, you won't have any issues. Audi and VW are mechanically the same.

Lastly, what's your main criteria when looking to buy a car?
The reason I ask is, no one on here ever seems concerned with crash resistance.
Japanese and French cars are light, because they are made of very thin metal.
German cars are heavy, because they're made of heavy gauge steel.

If I was to be in a crash, I wouldn't by choice be in a Japanese car!

Of course, the choice lies with you.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 29, 2008
My pick of the 2 cars you originally mentioned, would be the Audi, for the reasons I posted earlier.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by JJYOU: 10:55pm On Dec 29, 2008
Siena:

My pick of the 2 cars you originally mentioned, would be the Audi, for the reasons I posted earlier.
siena you and Audi's are best friends
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:59pm On Dec 29, 2008
JJ, I speak from purely an engineering background.

In terms of mechanics, VW is the same, but resale value is not as good, neither is build quality.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by savanaha: 11:11pm On Dec 29, 2008
Good info about the crash resistance thing. I never really thought about it but if I were to take a multiple choice exam I probably would have picked the German over the Jap cars.

But thanks for the help. Now I think I have enough information to plead my case.

The only thing now is how trustworthy carfax is. hmm. . .
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:23am On Dec 30, 2008
^^^ I wouldn't say CARFAX is 100%, but it's pretty good, as long as the car has been serviced / repaired within the dealer network.

It's also tied in with insurance companies, so quite accurate.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jan 03, 2009
Siena:

^^^ I wouldn't say CARFAX is 100%, but it's pretty good, as long as the car has been serviced / repaired within the dealer network.

It's also tied in with insurance companies, so quite accurate.

As long as the original owner is not a Nigerian/Mexican/Indian. . . . grin
Cos they all know how to use "under bridge" mechanics as opposed to authorised centers.
You'd be surprised when you realize that a car that Carfax listed has not having major issues might have visited the body shop, engine fixes several times.
I prefer to inspect vehicles with a mechanic around (in addition to the Carfax history) shocked
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:29pm On Jan 03, 2009
^^^ Very true.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Treetop20(m): 8:10pm On Jan 11, 2009
imagine spinning rims in Nigeria
they will surely nick it in the middle of the night
cheesy cheesy
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jan 11, 2009
People still run spinners on cars?

No one here does - if you have a set, you'd struggle to give them away.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by oblo(m): 12:45pm On Jan 12, 2009
Siena:

People still run spinners on cars?

No one here does - if you have a set, you'd struggle to give them away.

WHY? Its not in vougue no more? or its got tech problems? Pls wats d 411?
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jan 12, 2009
^^^ Definitely not in vogue.

They have no benefit either, they tend to be quite heavy, and only increase fuel consumption.
They're banned here in the UK, and in most of Europe - there have been instances when the central bearing gave way in use, and the spinning discs have gone on to strike cars in high-speed situations.

Even when they were around, take-up in the UK was slow - most folk here prefer to spend their money on things that actually increase performance, and others that make the car look the part, without looking a mess, or being dangerous.
Re: love-vendor-My-Ride In Nigeria by oblo(m): 1:46pm On Jan 12, 2009
@ siena

tnks, air cleard

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Chinese Volvo Owner, Geely, Becomes Largest Shareholder In Mercedes-benz / What To Do If Your Steering Fails While Driving / Can A Nigerian Car Be Registered More Than Once?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.