Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,323 members, 7,954,302 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 04:20 PM

Stories From Sunday School - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Stories From Sunday School (3083 Views)

6 Reasons Sunday School Is Important In Your Christian Life / Sunday School Lessons: What Do You Gain To Share With Others? / Strange Hell Stories From People Who Died And Came Back! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Go Down)

Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 10:51am On Sep 27, 2008
Anyone who has attended Sunday School, or otherwise paid attention to bible stories would likely have found interesting stories. From curiously great heroism, to some uncomfortable moments, and particularly stories from the Hebrew and Aramaic scirptures, or the Old Testament. It could be enlightening to get questioned by little and not so little kids about bible stories; there have been moments of flashes of brilliant light, and it's been rewarding to re-read stories read as kids, finding new perspectives and asking new questions.

"Stories from Sunday School" will attempt to collate inspiring and intriguing stories from the most distributed, the most translated, and perhaps the most inspiring religious book around today, the Bible. This is not a Christian-bashing thread. Christians are welcome to post their insights and understanding. Perhaps we'll leran a few things; perhaps we'll find new common grounds; and perhaps, we'll get those moments when the true answer to a story is the admission that response is 'impossible'.

I start with one scary one involving kids.

Kings 2:23-25

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. “Go on up, you baldhead!” they said. “Go on up, you baldhead!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

First impressions: First time I read this, it was, well, weird. Occassionally, playful kids taunt people who look different. But death by mauling by bears? That's one heck of a way to go. Not pretty; not very nice. A bunch of kids fooling around and screaming, and they get to be eaten by bears; the sight must've been, er, yuck. How did Elisha feel afterwards? We don't get to know.

What comes to mind is that image of Jack Nicholson as Melvin Uddal in "As Good as it Gets"; when Melvin goes to find his favourite waitress, and the kids begin to scream: "Melvin, Melvin, "; Nicholson steps forward and, waving his arm, shouts, commandingly: 'Shut up, Kids!' Or words to that effect. There was silence. The kids in Elisha's kids never stood a chance; or did they?

Two bears. . . One heck of a way to go.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Chrisbenogor(m): 11:25am On Sep 27, 2008
Lol loving father did that! can I be the first to crown the story with the following, gross , wicked, inhumane, devilish, ridiculous, forty two youth mangled for the joy of elisha your dann sure he had a kick out of that.
Bible story lesson :be careful what you say to insecure men of God who have the powers of a loving father at their disposal.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 5:30pm On Sep 27, 2008
One of the responses to explain the story has been that it was allegorical. They've pointed to the 'fact' that 42 of the children were killed by the bears. Of course, 42 = 21*2 = 2*3*7; they've pointed to the 3 and 7 as the root for the number 21, and that a doubling of 21 has special significance; perhaps this is true since 3 and 7 are two of the more popular numbers in religious numeralogy. I don't know what to to make of this approach. . .

But enough of all that . . . and to more impprtant matters: did Elisha have dinner that night? Was he able to eat at all? Did he panic and vomit as the bears emerged and chased after the clearly horrified children who'd just seen their playmates torn assunder by beasts? And what about the parents of these playful children? How did they feel? And the town/city? What did they make of this after the disaster?

Are there lessons from this? Well, one no-brainer is "don't mess with a bald prophet". And what moral questions arise? This sort of power at Elisha's disposal, what to make of it? Wasn't this an overreaction exposing pettiness and vindictiveness? There'll be more about Elisha later; but an attempt by a decent Christian to explain this story almost always meets with a silent embarrassment, especially in parents. There's that look on the face which appears to convey a message, like: ". . . er, er, . . . this ain't right . . . "

Chrisbenogor: the bible says they were children . . . sigh. This one really does deserve some attention.

Next, one Sunday School Story of King David.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by davidylan4(m): 6:01pm On Sep 27, 2008
Nimshi congrats . . . you know what happens to christians who dare to do post such threads about allah dont you? grin
I mean you know . . . those who try to even talk about christian testimonies?
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 6:11pm On Sep 27, 2008
King David is a well known king. Anointed by Prophet Samuel (who himself makes another interesting bible story; we'll shortly get to that), he'd made a mess of the Philistine Goliat using a simple sling. David's a great guy, and going by how God handled him, he must've been one swell guy. Okay. David's men were at war, but he's not there with them. So he's strutting on the roof of the palace and happens to see a pretty woman bathing. Damn. He continued to look, and, well, did what most foolish guy'd do: he also wanted to touch. So he went after the woman. And he did the deed, eh, the way a man does with a woman.

There were complications though; apparently, David used no protection, and it appears the Onanian technique (this's another bible story) wither didn't work, or didn't bother David at all. In any case, let's just say David couldn't resist loading it all in. So the woman got pregnant. Hmnn. .  . Adultery's gonna be out. . . This should be easy: the wife is pregnant, so why not the wife do it with her husband and make him responsible. Nice plan. Except that there was a complication.

The husband, Uriah, was away fighting in a war. Uriah knows his stuff; he's a member of David's elite soldiers. So David orders Uriah home from the front; the soldier's coming home . . .
Re: Stories From Sunday School by davidylan4(m): 6:16pm On Sep 27, 2008
Nimshi, Nimshi . . . its all well to quote the bible . . . u are under official protection.

Mind if i quote the quran too? Perhaps i'll have to make up plenty of Usernames before the day is over.  grin

You see, i'd love to tackle your "questions" but i'm sick to my stomach of hypocrisy . . . arent you too?
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 8:04pm On Sep 27, 2008
ok, davidylan you caught my attention, with your Surah 17:81 post, that is.

1) One word: patience!, my friend. Had you read the next verse, you would've probably been opened up.

2) I am completely against the silencing of anyone on these pages, including the silencing of testimonies of conversion from Islam to Christianity. It is detestable. Let's be clear about that. And I will not ever support anyone being banned for their opinion (the only exception being if they advocated sth clearly illegal, e.g., were posts to be made planning murder, say)

3) Joshua: what's the problem? An adult wants to be a dancer, she finds she needs a boob job; she raises the money, gets upgraded from A to a DoubleDang, and dances at the pole. . . How's that news, whether she's the daughter of the top Imam or the Bishop of Rome? And all these about an Imam who was - to all good intents - legally kicked out of Britain for nasty things? Sorry to disappoint you, Bakri isn't a shinning example. Why should this be a surprise? Whenever you see a religious man (note, man) ranting about sexuality and boobs and rear ends, there's sth lurking in the closet, perhaps some little secret. Ted Haggard is a good example. Bakri's story wouldn't be exceptional even if true. Except that your source is The Sun; The Sun? Na wah o, bros.

The story of King David, a man after God's heart, continues shortly . . .
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 8:34pm On Sep 27, 2008
Oh, c'mon davidylan, don't rain on King David's parade.

The operative word in v71 - to stick with this English translation - is "approach". I'm certain you know the meaning of the word. And, in your estimate of the time lapse between 71 and 72, you excluded options that should earlier have appeared; I mean, during the approach, like a nanosecond wink, say? C'mon, davidylan; you're better than that.

And, ah, David the friend of God, you wrote. He's more you see. God's favourite; a man after God's heart. And, so far as we've seen in the SSS, an adulterer. He's been more you see, a collector of foreskins. We shall consider this later. But he's an adulterer for now, this man after God's heart.

For now, the children listening to this story are following, aren't they? They're following this impressive story of the great king David. A nice story for Sunday School children who must have responsible parents who shouldn't let them near the rag The Sun so they wouldn't read the story of an Imam's daughter who got an impressive boob job so she could dance at the pole. A nice Sunday School story.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by davidylan4(m): 8:49pm On Sep 27, 2008
Nimshi:

Oh, c'mon davidylan, don't rain on King David's parade.

The operative word in v71 - to stick with this English translation - is "approach". I'm certain you know the meaning of the word. And, in your estimate of the time lapse between 71 and 72, you excluded options that should earlier have appeared; I mean, during the approach, like a nanosecond wink, say? C'mon, davidylan; you're better than that.

i'm not sure even you understand the operative word because we all know the original translation was "go down into hell" before islamic "scholars" felt it needful to change it. Read most translations, some say "around it", others say "approach it", some say "pass over" . . . you will agree with me that all three phrases are saying entirely 3 different things. To walk around something is not the same as to approach it or pass over it no?

Nimshi, if i were you i'D be more concerned with YOUR eternity in hell. Now we are perfectly clear that all muslims are destined to hell by an irrevocable decree of dear old loving allah no? Shaytan must be rubbing his hands in glee.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by ricadelide(m): 9:14pm On Sep 27, 2008
Hey Nimshi,

Your choice of bible stories i found quite interesting. I give it to you though that you said the thread is not about bible (or is it christian) bashing.
Most often I think our perspective or worldview does shapen our perception of what we hear or read. In this particular case, it seems that fact is making you miss the most important point. Although christians believe the bible is the word of God, the stories therein are mostly human stories. In fact, the very first story in the bible is one of disobedience. When the subjects of a book are mostly men (i mean that in a generic sense) - all kinds of men - it doesn't always look pretty. The beauty that shows up in the mess of its subjects is how evil can ultimately be worked out by a loving God for good, how forgiveness can be meted to seemingly undeserving persons, how those people that did the grossest evils can ultimately recognise their need to rise above it, how some unfortunately end up failing while others rise and stand. These and many others are the lessons that can be learnt. Ultimately, we know that they are stories about people just like us, and that God does get involved in the lives of ordinary people, messy people. We see an Abram transformed to an Abraham, we see a Jacob mature and become someone entirely different, we see a Samson accomplish more in death than in life, more without his eyesight than with it, and sometimes we do see a Saul become so desperate that he destroys himself. These are real people. The stories may seem absurd to a casual skeptic, but likewise do the lives of the average person if all the memorable events of thier lives are recorded. These stories have inspired and changed, yes changed lives - my life inclusive- because I've chosen to learn the important lessons and model my life after the heroes whose lives - their failings and their victories - have been laid bare, sometimes even to embarassing detail for those of us who come after them to learn from. Here's a couple of verses that sum it up for me:

1Cor 10: 11-12
first in NIV:
"These things happened to them as examples and were written down as warnings for us, on whom the fulfillment of the ages has come. So, if you think you are standing firm, be careful that you don't fall! "

and then so eloquently paraphrased in The Message:
"These are all warning markers—danger!—in our history books, written down so that we don't repeat their mistakes. Our positions in the story are parallel—they at the beginning, we at the end—and we are just as capable of messing it up as they were. Don't be so naive and self-confident. You're not exempt. You could fall flat on your face as easily as anyone else. Forget about self-confidence; it's useless. Cultivate God-confidence."

Cheers smiley
Re: Stories From Sunday School by AKO1(m): 9:24pm On Sep 27, 2008
Guys please save the posts I deleted for other threads. You're going off topic!

Oya back to Sunday School.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by affee(f): 9:25pm On Sep 27, 2008
Dont you see what is happening
they are bored,the only place they could discuss and cuss was on the christian religious threads
and we've been silent all day, so they had to create a topic that they feel will arouse our interest and make us start
the same old arguements with the them

even a child will know what you are up to nimshi.
stop it jare
you are not making sense
Re: Stories From Sunday School by davidylan4(m): 9:27pm On Sep 27, 2008
A K O why now? Cant i read my quran in sunday school? shocked

Surah 19:71 pls anyone? I'm interested in just why allah wants to send all of us who are busy fasting to hell.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by AKO1(m): 9:35pm On Sep 27, 2008
davidylan*:

A K O why now? can't i read my quran in sunday school? shocked

Surah 19:71 please anyone? I'm interested in just why allah wants to send all of us who are busy fasting to hell.

Lol no; abi you want to start the new trend when you start your own Church of the Lawd for Holy Business? grin

But jokes apart, if you really want to talk about that surah, you can start a new thread in the Islam for Muslims section. This thread is not for any kind of debate.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by davidylan4(m): 9:36pm On Sep 27, 2008
A K O kai but i go respect your decision. If i try to go and start madrassa school at the islam section na ban dem go ban me! Lucky nimshi. grin

Nimshi ok lets talk about my namesake.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 9:42pm On Sep 27, 2008
ricadelide: your post commands a dedicated response. We shall get to it.

A_K_O: I'd have preferred Josh's stayed, but I guess no one's complaining. He should've made his point briefly. I did think it was an interesting post though. Bakri is a pain in the rear, but I don't know if to be impressed that his daughter still walks; people like that, you're never sure what they could do.

davidylan: not fair of you, to be raining and storming and Hurricane Ike-ing on your namesake's grand parade. I shall be very delighted to have you post Quranic stories that appear ridiculous as these. But your point is one of teaching and doctrine. You should relax a bit, eh; see the world with fresh eyes, rediscover stories of old. Like, your response: "can't i read my quran in sunday school?", it's somewhat cute: Quran; Sunday, School; but your obsession with Surah 19:71. If Almighty Allah consigns a Muslim to Hell, what then? And if Peter turns you back at the Pearly Gates, what the heck are you going to do? Start a protest or sth? Even Shaytan ain't dumb. A lesson (taken from material I've read on these pages): beware of whom you piss off, you don't know on what side you'll be ending  wink. As for me, I know God appreciates a faithful mind, so there's no way I'll be deceiving myself in faith. If it sounds wacky, walks wacky and looks wacky, it's most probably wacky.

Like, the Murder of Uriah the Hittite. A brave, and devoted warrior in David's specially selected army.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by joshjosh(m): 9:49pm On Sep 27, 2008
Nimshi:
ricadelide:
A_K_O: I'D have preferred Josh's stayed, but I guess no one's complaining. He should've made his point briefly. I did think it was an interesting post though. Bakri is a pain in the rear, but I don't know if to be impressed that his daughter still walks; people like that, you're never sure what they could do.

REALLY! shame some of you guys are so insecure you can't stand one of your own doing boobs job
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Chrisbenogor(m): 9:50pm On Sep 27, 2008
Nimshi:

Like, the Murder of Uriah the Hittite. A brave, and devoted warrior in David's specially selected army.

David is responsible for what he did, me I do not have qualms with the story, start from the beginning please Genesis,
Re: Stories From Sunday School by tpia: 9:51pm On Sep 27, 2008
Nimshi:

Anyone who has attended Sunday School, or otherwise paid attention to bible stories would likely have found interesting stories. From curiously great heroism, to some uncomfortable moments, and particularly stories from the Hebrew and Aramaic scirptures, or the Old Testament. It could be enlightening to get questioned by little and not so little kids about bible stories; there have been moments of flashes of brilliant light, and it's been rewarding to re-read stories read as kids, finding new perspectives and asking new questions.

"Stories from Sunday School" will attempt to collate inspiring and intriguing stories from the most distributed, the most translated, and perhaps the most inspiring religious book around today, the Bible. This is not a Christian-bashing thread. Christians are welcome to post their insights and understanding. Perhaps we'll leran a few things; perhaps we'll find new common grounds; and perhaps, we'll get those moments when the true answer to a story is the admission that response is 'impossible'.

I start with one scary one involving kids.

Kings 2:23-25

23 From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. “Go on up, you baldhead!” they said. “Go on up, you baldhead!” 24 He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the youths. 25 And he went on to Mount Carmel and from there returned to Samaria.

First impressions: First time I read this, it was, well, weird. Occassionally, playful kids taunt people who look different. But death by mauling by bears? That's one heck of a way to go. Not pretty; not very nice. A bunch of kids fooling around and screaming, and they get to be eaten by bears; the sight must've been, er, yuck. How did Elisha feel afterwards? We don't get to know.

What comes to mind is that image of Jack Nicholson as Melvin Uddal in "As Good as it Gets"; when Melvin goes to find his favourite waitress, and the kids begin to scream: "Melvin, Melvin, "; Nicholson steps forward and, waving his arm, shouts, commandingly: 'Shut up, Kids!' Or words to that effect. There was silence. The kids in Elisha's kids never stood a chance; or did they?

Two bears. . . One heck of a way to go.

I see you're here as a backup/replacement for Huxley, with Chrisbegenor as your sidekick to forestall anyone in danger of rocking the boat.

This topic has been discussed here before. Huxley raised the same question, and various people responded.

Now, its up to the enquirer if s/he actually wants to understand a context, or if he/she is only interested in seeing the world from their own viewpoint inside the cave, not outside of it.

Funny too, that you don't see any parallels with ancient or modern middle eastern culture, in this story.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:02pm On Sep 27, 2008
tpia:

I see you're here as a backup/replacement for Huxley, with Chrisbegenor as your sidekick to forestall anyone in danger of rocking the boat.

This topic has been discussed here before. Huxley raised the same question, and various people responded.

Now, its up to the enquirer if s/he actually wants to understand a context, or if he/she is only interested in seeing the world from their own viewpoint inside the cave, not outside of it.

Funny too, that you don't see any parallels with ancient or modern middle eastern culture, in this story.

Nna na wetin na I no fit give my own input again to a story I find to be inhumane, I don't know what explanation you can give to that but, that is not a loving father Shikena!

Prepare for the next story the walls of Jericho falling down,

Cheers
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 10:04pm On Sep 27, 2008
davidylan*:
Nimshi ok lets talk about my namesake.

Even you are a beauty, davidylan my friend.

Soooo . . .

King David figures he must find a way to make Bathsheba's husband responsible for the pregnancy. You might think it should be difficult; but it ain't: there's no DNA test, no blood test, nothing. And God help the husband to even mention anything like foul play even if he suspected one; you don't mess with David, eh; everyone still remembers what he did to Goliath after that heathen giant with six fingers and six toes (on each hand and feet, we'd suppose) got humiliated and executed. David, good-looking Shepherd Boy; you don't mess with him. Anyways, David orders Uriah back from war, orders him to go home, relax, and have a session of shagging with his wife; and yeah, we're not stretching; David did suggest it, heck, he ordered it.

Uriah, a man more honourable than the fallen king declines. No, King, he'd've said; I'm a Soldier; I've got honour; and no Soldier with honour humps the wife while his comrades are at war. This guy's solid. He knows. You're preparing for a fight, you don't want no sex; ask Muhammed Ali; he knows too. Uriah, heck of a Soldier; he doesn't even go home; he sleeps at David's door, with the servants. Sheeesh! Was David pissed!

But when you try some, you try more. So David tries some more. He tells Uriah: Dude, are you a freak? You've come all this way and you won't shag the wife? What's it with you?! But a solid guy's a solid guy, no matter the quality of the ass looking him in the face; so Uriah shows David how to be a honourable man: 'Mr. King, come of it! My guys're fighting in battle, General Joab is out there too, and, heck, the Ark of God is out there too, and you think I'll be messing, even with the wife? No, Sir!". David knew then that this soldierman must die.

The execution of the plan to murder Uriah is a particularly wicked act. We'll get to it. It's an act any decent person wouldn't even begin to think about. Notice now, how much time would have passed; a minimum of about 2 months, and a minimum of 1 month: from the time David had illegal sex with Bathsheba. . .

Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 10:10pm On Sep 27, 2008
joshjosh:

REALLY! shame some of you guys are so insecure you can't stand one of your own doing boobs job

Josh, really, no fronting; I'd have preferred your post was left alone. The girl isn't pretty, but she isn't bad either. At least, people could see what an A to DD boob job would look like. Anyone who gets a kick out of that, that's their thing.

tpia: if you've got context, just provide it. Else, you'll just be sounding like you're simply pissed. Now, that's not good enough. You're pissed, then you do sth about it. You like David, don't you?
Re: Stories From Sunday School by davidylan4(m): 10:13pm On Sep 27, 2008
this people picking on my namesake. make una stop am o! grin
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 10:38pm On Sep 27, 2008
Sooooo. . .

David writes a letter; gives it to Uriah to take it to General Joab. It is, effectively, Uriah's death warrant. The letter is specific in its detail: General Joab is to place righteous Urriah at a very tough section on the war turf. Then the other men fighting on Uriah's side are to retreat, leaving only him to die.

Those who understand comradeship and those who've been in combat zones would know the deeper meaning of this. The other soldiers must have known what was on; why would one of the members of this 37, a crack team of top soldiers be wasted? All for David's little head. What a heart-rending waste. And what effect would this have had on morale? We'll never really know. Uriah was killed; a good man doing what he knows best, betrayed by a King he served, and a General who could have stood up for him. Uriah goes down in bible history as the first man to be murdered for his wife's adultery. My! That's a tough one.

There's more in this adultery + betrayal + murder thing.

David marries Bathsheba. Then God sent Prophet Nathan to David. This business with Nathan starts at 2 Samuel Chapter 12. Nathan starts with a story about a rich man and a poor man and sheep and stuff. cClever story, gets David to convict himself, then Nathan springs it on the king: "You are the man". The moment of truth. And Nathan delivers a curious verdict. We must note the verdict's different from wha the law actually says should happen. People die for this stuff: small stones, big stones. Heck, people die for less. If you've got a really bad son who's pissing everyone off and won't listen to you, the bible says you drag him to the gates and get folks to stone him to death. And, what does David get? A freaking suspended sentence that'll make Tafa Balogun's sentence feel like life in jail.

But there's an immediate sentence, but it's not for David: it's for the new born baby: the child must die. Ha! This is bible justice people. David shags Bathsheba and Uriah and the child have to die. And this wasn't an easy one for the child. Seven days, the child was sick. A child. Seven days of torture for this new life. David, of course, begged the Lord; but the Lord's mind was made up; baby must die; but first, baby must suffer for seven days.

On the 7th day, Bathsheba's baby died. David took it all like a man. He even offers some bit of insightat these difficult times: 'When the child was alive, I fasted and cried . . . but now that the chold is dead, why should I fast . . . '. Now, that's one nice baby daddy, even if an adulterer and murderer.

Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 10:42pm On Sep 27, 2008
davidylan*:

this people picking on my namesake. make una stop am o! grin

My friend! Your namesake's one heck of a job! He had many women, but he must have sex with the wife of one of his officers. And for 9 months, he didn't confess the sin to God. Damn guy thought that was that; aferall, Uriah was dead. David showed himself to be a particularly wicked man; and he got off very lightly. So much for justice. In any civilised Society, he'd've gotten life without parole at a minimum. But in that great land, he's the king. Much like when Abacha used to do his thing at the garrison in Ibadan; only he wasn't king then.

Re: Stories From Sunday School by Wordsmith(m): 10:45pm On Sep 27, 2008
Neotony, is it?
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 11:00pm On Sep 27, 2008
Ok, question, guys.

How far would you go for a cute babe you fancied?

Flowers? Cards? Long long-distance calls? Visits across the pool every weekend? C'mon, name it.

Whatever. It's nothing.

How about her dad says you could get the babe; people pay the dowry you see. Depends on lots stuff. But, how about if her dad goes:

Girl's dad: 'Hey, dude, I want no dowry, but I want 100 prepuces'

You: Prepuce? What's that?

Girl's dad: You got the Internet boy; go look it up.

[You. Mistakenly logs on to nairaland; then somehow finds it. Prepuce = Foreskins. Wham!]

You: Er, sir, er, where're my going to find that? Everyone's cricumscised already.

Girl's dad: Good boy; go to the heathens. They don't cut it off, y'know. I recommend those guys jst across the border. The Philistines. Go get 'em!

Dude runs off; makes a few calls to his tough guy friends; they call some other guys from a nearby university; hey, this's an important job; we're talking about a cute babe here. They get on motorbikes, armed with stuff; some get crammed into cars. Ok, let's save the gory details for later. . . The guys return with, not 100, but 200 foreskins.

Heck; you've won the price: you get the girl, who's a princess; and, well, you're SIL to the King. Some reward!

And no, I'm not making all this up. It's all there at I Samuel 18: 25-27.

And, yeah, that was David; what's 200 dicks when you've already done Goliath?
Re: Stories From Sunday School by davidylan4(m): 11:04pm On Sep 27, 2008
My friend! Your namesake's one heck of a job! He had many women, but he must have sex with the wife of one of his officers. And for 9 months, he didn't confess the sin to God. Damn guy thought that was that; aferall, Uriah was dead. David showed himself to be a particularly wicked man; and he got off very lightly. So much for justice. In any civilised Society, he'D've gotten life without parole at a minimum. But in that great land, he's the king. Much like when Abacha used to do his thing at the garrison in Ibadan; only he wasn't king then.

Really? You must not have been reading your bible.
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 11:06pm On Sep 27, 2008
davidylan*:

Really? You must not have been reading your bible.

Oh; you mean he didn't get off very lightly? Ok; tell me. Defend your name.  wink

Re: Stories From Sunday School by davidylan4(m): 11:53pm On Sep 27, 2008
2 Samuel 12:10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from thine house; because thou hast despised me, and hast taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be thy wife.

For Christians who have read their bibles (not ignorant hypocrites who just copy "contradictions" they dont understand off the net) . . . we all know the history of David's first son with Bathsheba, Adonijah, Absalom, Solomon and the eventual falling apart of the kingdom of David from the reign of his grandson.

Nimshi, i think you shld realise we are not fools here. I'll just hang around waiting for you to trip urself up again.  wink
Re: Stories From Sunday School by tpia: 1:08am On Sep 28, 2008
Nimshi:

Josh, really, no fronting; I'D have preferred your post was left alone. The girl isn't pretty, but she isn't bad either. At least, people could see what an A to DD boob job would look like. Anyone who gets a kick out of that, that's their thing.

tpia: if you've got context, just provide it. Else, you'll just be sounding like you're simply pissed. Now, that's not good enough. You're pissed, then you do sth about it. You like David, don't you?

pissed at what?

I'm simply pointing out what's going on here.

I'm just checking out the thread and noticed your first post was something that had been previously analyzed. Huxley even provided a picture/cartoon with his own. Everything else in that other thread matches what you're posting here almost word for word. Give or take some office editing.

I'll get back to David some other time maybe. You sound like you want to make this a long thread, so lets see what you got first.

There are innumerable things to contest in the bible, for people who feel like doing that, so whats the rush?
Re: Stories From Sunday School by Nimshi: 6:38am On Sep 28, 2008
davidylan*:

2 Samuel 12:10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from thine house; because thou hast despised me, and hast taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be thy wife.

For Christians who have read their bibles (not ignorant hypocrites who just copy "contradictions" they don't understand off the net) . . . we all know the history of David's first son with Bathsheba, Adonijah, Absalom, Solomon and the eventual falling apart of the kingdom of David from the reign of his grandson.

Nimshi, i think you shld realise we are not fools here. I'll just hang around waiting for you to trip yourself up again. wink

DavidII, c'mon! Soooo, a guy commits adultery and murder, and that's after coordinating the skinning of the joysticks of adults, and he doesn't get the regular stoning to death, and you call that justice? C'mon! This's one huge preferential system, a miscarriage of justice. So, the kingdom falls away from David's grandson, and that's punishment for David, who, despite everything, gets some really cute babe to 'take good care' of him when he's old and frail and about to expire? C'mon man, get real some. The bible was clear about what should've happened to David. The sentence was changed; that's way way worse than a partial Nigerian court. I'd think you'd notice; but, of course, you don't.

tpia:

pissed at what? I'm simply pointing out what's going on here. I'm just checking out the thread and noticed your first post was something that had been previously analyzed. Huxley even provided a picture/cartoon with his own. Everything else in that other thread matches what you're posting here almost word for word. Give or take some office editing. I'll get back to David some other time maybe. You sound like you want to make this a long thread, so lets see what you got first. There are innumerable things to contest in the bible, for people who feel like doing that, so whats the rush?

Please post the link to that thread. I've not seen it. If you'd post it, I could read it and try to avoid things already mentioned there if possible. These are about Stories told in Sunday School about well-known bible heroes. I'm sort of getting tired of David right now, so I'm running right back to that cute muscular, hairy, cute Samson, son of Manoah. Cute guy. If that's been dealt with before, post the link quickly. WE should try to avoid repetitions; but heck, I'm not writing a book, dude.

(1) (2)

If U Fancied A Lady In Ur Church, Must U Inform D Pastor Before Approaching Her? / THROWBACK Pix Of Rev Chris Oyakhilome As Christ Embassy Turns 30 / Fresh Revelations Emerge On Tb Joshua’s Hidden Secrets!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.