Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,449 members, 7,770,119 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:13 AM

Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? (116777 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic / Yoruba Words That Have Several Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Sep 27, 2008
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 2:58pm On Sep 27, 2008
ki lo 'oruko eee----------------whats your name

mo fe lo je'un--------------------i want to go eat

mo fe sun------------------------i want to sleep

ki loun so-----------what is u saying

e fisile--------------leave (the person)alone

okomi-------------my hubby

olo miii----------my wifey

egbe eneu dake------------keep shut

grin cool
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 27, 2008
jennykadri:

olo miii----------my wifey

Never heard of that.

It's usually :
Iyawo mii or aya mii

jennykadri:

egbe eneu dake------------keep shut

Adult: e gbe nu e dake (am not sure you'll want to say this to your elder tongue)

Younger: Gbe nu e dake
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:06pm On Sep 27, 2008
Rara --------- No

Beeni--------- Yes

bawo ni ------- How are you?
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Sep 27, 2008
Thing is, when you're talking, you need to be careful of your audience.
Respect plays a major role in the language.
What you say to someone younger than you, you cannot say it to your elder tongue
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 3:10pm On Sep 27, 2008
huh but olo mii means my wife

@topic

mi ogbo nkoti o so-----------------i no hear wetin u dey talk grin

oti baje baje-----u don spoil grin

mo fe do'obo-------------i want to lipsrsealed

im trying naaaa.atleast i speak but cant write sad
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 27, 2008
no it does not. unless you mean olowo'ri mii.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 3:15pm On Sep 27, 2008
ok,but sm men call their wives olo miii,so i just concluded that its a newer version of iyawo mii grin
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 3:18pm On Sep 27, 2008
@topic

mo fe do'oko----------i want to lipsrsealed

e'lo joko jare------------go sitdon jare angry

mo'gbadun siena------------i dey enjoy siena grin

more to come cool
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:22pm On Sep 27, 2008
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Sep 27, 2008
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:35pm On Sep 27, 2008
Sienna, you can put "ma" or "sir" at the end of your sentence to emphasize respect to your elders.

ex:
Ko t'ope ma ---------- You're welcome, ma'am

@post
elder: Ese n (pronounce like eshe n)- thank you

younger: ose n
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 3:37pm On Sep 27, 2008
Siena:

Hmm Jenny, I'm suspicious of some of your translations! wink

grin grin grin grin which of them? grin
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Sep 27, 2008
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 1:51pm On Sep 28, 2008
Siena:

Jenny, probably most.

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin

Siena:

You want to earn me a black eye?

sad sad sad sad sad sad sad
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 28, 2008
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 5:46pm On Sep 29, 2008
Siena:

Honestly, if I said the wrong thing, it could turn out to be an insult to my queen. wink

sad sad sad cry cry
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:44am On Sep 30, 2008
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:46am On Sep 30, 2008
Siena, can you plz break it down?
More phrases like. . . .in wht category.
I mean, am just posting anything. be more specific jor.

Jor- please tongue
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by ElosAgos(m): 4:07am On Sep 30, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

Siena, can you plz break it down?
More phrases like. . . .in wht category.
I mean, am just posting anything. be more specific jor.

Jor- please tongue

Please, you can choose any category for we students.
Words like Thank you
God bless you.
I will be there soon.
How is your family.
How is everything.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 4:12am On Sep 30, 2008
awww. . . .Well, am not a 100% correct, as I'll need someone else to help.
But I'D try my best smiley

Elos Agos:

Please, you can choose any category for we students.
Words like
Thank you - ese n
God bless you. - Olorun a da fun e
I will be there soon - Mo nbo ni siyi or ma de be lai pe
How is your family. Bawo ni awan ara ile
How is everything. Se gbogbo nkan lo dede

fixed!
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by KarmaMod(f): 4:12am On Sep 30, 2008
it's lo dede.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 4:13am On Sep 30, 2008
KarmaMod:

it's lo dede.
thanks
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by ElosAgos(m): 4:27am On Sep 30, 2008
@Ruby_Pearl

Ese n (very much)

Thanks for trying.
Please bring some more.

You are welcome
I am fine.
I need you help.
My name is Elos.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 4:32am On Sep 30, 2008
Elos Agos:

You are welcome - Ko tope
I am fine. - mo wa pka
I need your help. - (this one am not sure) se ele ran mi lowo?

But like I told Siena be4, you cannot talk to your elders the same way you talk to your gf. Nigerians, obv, cherish respect.

read my previous post on this thread to clarify
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by ElosAgos(m): 4:41am On Sep 30, 2008
You missed out
My name is "Elos":

Another set.

I will come tomorrow?
Are you in school?
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 4:43am On Sep 30, 2008
I know, but I said:
Just like I old Siena (Original Poster) b4. . . . .

Elos Agos:

I will come tomorrow? Ma wa lo la
Are you in school? se o i( pronounced as "e"wink wa no shukuru
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by bawomolo(m): 4:58am On Sep 30, 2008
school is ile iwe. a bush woman like u should know that
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by ElosAgos(m): 5:32am On Sep 30, 2008
Ok,

What about these?

I hope you are fine/well?
Greet everybody for me.
Thank God.
See you tomorrow.

bawomolo:

school is ile iwe.  a bush woman like u should know that

@Bawolo

Please don't insult our teacher.
If you want to take over from her, get a permit from our PRINCIPAL who unfortunately to you is the person you are insulting.
You better apologize now.

@Ruby_Pearl

Please don't mind him.
He is one of them damaging the image of our education.
Imagine him insulting a teacher.
I want to catch a brief rest, we will continue tomorrow please.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by bawomolo(m): 5:33am On Sep 30, 2008
ok pele anty
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by ElosAgos(m): 5:42am On Sep 30, 2008
bawomolo:

ok pele anty

That is better.
But, must you insult somebody even if that person is your junior or not.
I think we should all learn how to respect one another.
ONE LOVE, my brothers and sisters.

Anyway Anty,
what is "pele"?
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by bawomolo(m): 5:51am On Sep 30, 2008
pele means sorry. funmi no yab me o grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba Mythology / Ogoja, Cross River Where Cameroonian Mothers Iron Their Daughter's Breast / Oruko Amutorunwa (generic Names In Yoruba Culture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.