Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,918 members, 7,828,201 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 06:05 AM

Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? (117474 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Common Yoruba Words Borrowed From Arabic / Yoruba Words That Have Several Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by KarmaMod(f): 5:33pm On Sep 30, 2008
bawomolo:

school is ile iwe. a bush woman like u should know that

Lmao. abi o.

which one be "shukuru" grin
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Sep 30, 2008
ema rerin nbe.

My grandma always ask me when she calls "Bawo ni shukuru?" cool cool
I've always known school to be shukuru tongue

@Elos
Thanks darl grin

Elos Agos:

I hope you are fine/well? - Se gbogbo nkan nse dede?

Greet everybody for me. - Eba mi ki gbogbo awan ara ile

Thank God. - Oluwa seun or Ef'ope f'Oluwa

See you tomorrow. - Ma ri e lo la

bawomolo:

school is ile iwe. a bush woman like u should know that
uh uh, I [b]know [/b]you are not talking.
Iwo gan ni ara oko Ijesa tongue tongue

between, I stated earlier that my yoruba is not 100% or even 95% perfect.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by bawomolo(m): 6:19pm On Sep 30, 2008
between, I stated earlier that my yoruba is not 100% or even 95% perfect.

you better go learn some yoruba in your village "shukuru" grin grin

1 Like

Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 30, 2008
bawomolo:

you better go learn some yoruba in your village "shukuru" grin grin
ejo, egbami!
ebami wo eni to nsoro.
se omo araoko yi ti o ti e moh yoruba tongue
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Sep 30, 2008
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Sep 30, 2008
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 12:25am On Oct 01, 2008
Siena:

Didn't mean it that way, she's lovely.
No black eyes from my queen.  cool

More phrases though!  smiley

kiss kiss kiss kiss
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:36am On Oct 01, 2008
Siena:

Another thing I've noticed - Yoruba has a lot in common with Itsekiri, as far as language / intonation goes.

My mom was Itsekiri. cool
Lol, am sorry, but am not familiar with that tribe smiley

Romance category you say? ehrrrrrrrrrrrm, I cannot help you with that grin grin
Let's wait till someone better comes along smiley
Lol! yea.

Ejo, mami ati daddy, mo fe fe omo yin - Plz ma and dad, I want to marry your daughter.

I tried tongue
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by KarmaMod(f): 3:42am On Oct 01, 2008
Siena:

Another thing I've noticed - Yoruba has a lot in common with Itsekiri, as far as language / intonation goes.

My mom was Itsekiri. cool

They do. Sometimes by the names, you ecent even tell the difference.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 12:05pm On Oct 02, 2008
@topic

mo fe lo ka alubosa grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by tope2000(f): 12:12pm On Oct 02, 2008
grin grin grin grin
ni ibi bo?
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 12:15pm On Oct 02, 2008
tope2000:

grin grin grin grin
ni ibi bo?

ni ojaaa grin grin grin
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by tope2000(f): 12:18pm On Oct 02, 2008
oja ewo loti fe lo ka? grin
abi ra?
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 12:41pm On Oct 02, 2008
oja agboju ati mile 12 grin grin grin
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by tope2000(f): 12:50pm On Oct 02, 2008
grin grin
agboju ko
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by jennykadri: 6:57pm On Oct 02, 2008
tope2000:

grin grin
agboju ko

agboju ni grin grin
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by NubianQ(f): 11:47pm On Oct 02, 2008
hmmmm hmmmm!! cheesy cheesy cheesy Cool stuff!!! Two thumbs up ! now its learning the words eh? wink
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 3:59am On Oct 03, 2008
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Nobody: 12:18am On Jan 02, 2010
kilo n sele-wots up or wots hapening
mo fe do oko-i want to have sex with a man
mo fe do obo-i want to have sex with a woman
mo fe la abe-i want u 2 give me a head grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by IYANGBALI: 3:18pm On Jan 02, 2010
ma domi niso mo ti kata bo idi dis means continue to love me and i will continue to love you too
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Remii(m): 4:47pm On Jan 03, 2010
IYA NGBALI:

ma domi niso mo ti kata bo idi dis means continue to love me and i will continue to love you too

shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed Thanks God I understood Yoruba before Iyangbalife start teaching the language.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by MissIfe(f): 1:26pm On Jan 04, 2010
hi all, I've been reading this topic and as much as I can catch some simple sentences in yoruba I don't get how the language is structured. For instance, I don't know how to build a simple sentence (subject/verb :I eat rice/ you eat rice/ she eats rice, ) or differentiate tenses (present/past/future), I have also read somewhere that it's a tonal language, ie pronunciation is critical, but I'm not even sure how to read efficiently the sentences I saw on this thread (had to ask my hubby).

Someone here could give me some insights?

thanks! grin

1 Like

Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by topup: 5:48am On Jul 05, 2010
Wa je'on (wah-jeh-woon) - Come eat or let's eat.
Gb'enu e so'n (Gbeh-noo-eh-sor-oon) - Shut up !! Shut your mouth!! Stop talking.  shocked
Ki lo'n se e (Kee-loan-shey-eh)
Je ka lo (Jeh-kar-law) - Let's go!!
Ma bo (Mar-boh) - Come here!! Come towards me!! Come with me!!

Miss_Ife, luckily Yoruba pretty much follows the same sentence structure as English (Oyinbo). What you will find annoying is all the abbreviated versions. For example above "Wa je'on" is "Wa je owunje" (spelling??) owunje or onje (can't spell it) is the full word for food. When abbreviated it sounds like"o'nje", If written in full, "wa je o'nje" it means "Come eat food".

Subject Verb Object.

e.g. 1) I run to school.

Mo = (I)
sa = (run)
lo (to (relating to movement or travel))
Ile iwe (school)

Mo sa lo Ile Iwe.

----------------------

e.g. 2) I want to run to school.

Mo = (I)
fe = (Want or would like (also means marry))
sa = (run)
lo (to (relating to movement or travel))
Ile iwe (school)

Mo fe sa lo Ile Iwe.
Pronounced: (moe-feh-sah-law-ile-iwe)

This sentence could also mean, I want to quickly go to ile iwe (Which within a different context could imply you have some errands to run or manage in school and will be back soon).

Hope that helped smiley.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by MissIfe(f): 2:36pm On Jul 07, 2010
@topup: Thanks so much for these explanations, it makes it clearer, I was indeed confused with the abreviations, when people were telling me a sentence to learn, then they wouldn't pronounce it the exact same way in the daily life, Now, I still have a lot to learn but that's a step foward smiley
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by topup: 8:58pm On Jul 08, 2010
Miss_Ife:

@topup: Thanks so much for these explanations, it makes it clearer, I was indeed confused with the abreviations, when people were telling me a sentence to learn, then they wouldn't pronounce it the exact same way in the daily life, Now, I still have a lot to learn but that's a step foward smiley

My pleasure, and if you're not able to make a detour to Nigeria, why not try those language CDs they always sell on sites like Amazon smiley.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by MissIfe(f): 2:41am On Jul 09, 2010
topup:

My pleasure, and if you're not able to make a detour to Nigeria, why not try those language CDs they always sell on sites like Amazon smiley.

Oh, I didn't know they had some about Yoruba, I should check it out then, thanks!
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by wetobe(f): 10:45pm On Aug 08, 2011
Can some translate into the english language, Allahumo inaka fuwum tuhubul afwah fahafuanah
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by wetobe(f): 10:46pm On Aug 08, 2011
Can someone translate into the english language, dem go chop
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Pweety4me(f): 5:19am On Aug 09, 2011
@Big Bros Siena what tribe in Nigeria are you from?

@OP Mo le gbako lo wo e = some1 may translate
tongue
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by Joii: 9:21am On Feb 01, 2013
I want to learn every last bit of Yoruba. The correct words nd phrases.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by EzePromoe: 10:32am On Feb 01, 2013
Please, what's the meaning of 'Jeka ma dorawa' in English.
Re: Simple Yoruba Words / Phrases And Sentences? by EzePromoe: 10:50am On Feb 01, 2013
Please can someone translate these for me;

I love you

I hate you

I want to break up with Seun

I've broken up with Seun

I will break up with Seun

I could break up with Seun

We're breaking up

Who loves me

Do you love me

Are you in love

I'm coming

I'm going

You're sweet

You're complete

Marry me

Fück me shocked

I have money

I don't have money

You're stingy

Why are you avoiding me

Do I disgust you

If you are not avoiding me

Kiss me wink

*toasting mood activated* wink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yoruba Mythology / Ogoja, Cross River Where Cameroonian Mothers Iron Their Daughter's Breast / Oba Of Lagos Palace Set On Fire, His Staff Of Office Stolen (Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.