Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:14 AM

Simplicity Is The Key. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Simplicity Is The Key. (859 Views)

Web Don Allow OYINBO Connect 9ja People - To Sabi PIDGIN Na The Key :) / Yahoo Mail Redesigns, Aiming For Speed And Simplicity. / Outsourcing: The Key To Becoming A Successful "Web" Businessman (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simplicity Is The Key. by designguru: 10:18am On Oct 02, 2008
In modern days website, you tend to see simple but compact and beautiful concept. This is now a fact that to get the best of a design, Simplicity is the Key. Basically more emphasis should be placed on the Information on the website and the colours instead of the Graphic. I've seen some sites that has no image in them, yet, they stand out anywhere. Although, images and graphics pay a key role in website, but if your concept isn't simple enough for easy browsing, You are just wasting your time cos people don't like spending too much time waiting for one site to load. It's a main fact. to simplicity examples visit www.designguru9.com and www.leadwaygroup.net. Thanks and i need your reply on these sites. Thanks.
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by Nobody: 2:46pm On Oct 02, 2008
Good One, But i'd like to know how to make my own webpage, undecided
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by yawatide(f): 3:09pm On Oct 02, 2008
In general:

I am a simplicity zealot myself.  Research has shown that people want content on a site.  Wowing them with flash etc comes second.  Having said that:

1) You need to get rid of those flash intros.  Research shows that people find them distracting.  Don't even bother adding a "skip intro". Just get rid of them altogether.

2) Your sites are too "sharp".  Try, especially with images, rounded corners

3) You need to step up ur game and use a backend language like PHP.  This will enable you to, for example, do form processing. Based on what I have seen, you are using HTML.  This will make me assume that you are not even taking advantage of server side includes which would come in handy for grouping components that appear globally (header, footer, etc)

4) Your page headers hv a theme - orange band.  Nothing wrong with that but try adding margins to them as they look skinny presently.

5) Move your CSS/Javascript code from the page into files and reference them with the appropriate tags. This will reduce download times and help separate content from presentation, 2 cornerstones of web standards.

6) Learn to optimize your images, again to reduce download times.  Hv you tried accessing your site(s) from the average cyber cafe where you are paying per hour?  Speed is key to me at least. For example, the followign image is 64KB:
http://www.leadwaygroup.net/image/contact-bar.jpg - cd b smaller.

I hope these help.

p.s. to all those who say I am doing poorly with respect to criticisms and that I am hiding behind my "expo", how would you rank this one?  I am dying to know  tongue
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by designguru: 5:14pm On Oct 02, 2008
Thanks yawa-ti-de. Your critisism was really welcomed. Thanks soo much for the guidelines you gave me. i Really appreciate it. One more Thank you i'll try and work more on the back end that is; php, and asp. Really i'm feeling lazy and a lot of school work is really keeping me down. Thank you for the reply. Thanks alot.
Designguru.
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by yawatide(f): 6:16pm On Oct 02, 2008
webdezzi et al, wey una dey? C as designguru took my comments? wink
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by Neptune(m): 7:48pm On Oct 02, 2008
With all due respect [designguru], none of the sites you posted up there pass for simpicity nor concept. They
are cool sites o, dont get me wrong. I'm a web designer myself so i think im p.r.i.t.t.y sure of what im saying.
When it comes to simplicity and concept i think i just go crazy[literarilly]. Emptiness does not signify
simpliciy. It just does'nt cut it(as far as im concerned). I honestly enjoyed your comments though as regards
both. really well said.To prove my point, i'll give you 2 samples that perfectly fits both simplicity and concept.
Forget the fact that they were designed by americans. The fact is with what i've seen you do, you can do them.
www.vodafonejourney.com www.flashlevel.com (might take some time to load on those starcoms, multilinks stuff)
Anyways i hope you learn from them to improve on your work and not hate me for my comments.
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by designguru: 9:39pm On Oct 02, 2008
Sup Neptune. Really why would i hate you for your comment? It's a really cool comment. I'm not saying i am the best web designer myself really, i love to learn from people who are really better. Thanks for the comments on my site though. Neptune, i saw ur designs and really i love them. Thanks for the sites you gave me to check out. They are really cool and i'm sure i can do better. Thanks alot neptune and pls check out www.compactcommunications.com. It's new. Thanks alot man.
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by chessguru(m): 9:41pm On Oct 02, 2008
@ post
very correct
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by yawatide(f): 1:03am On Oct 03, 2008
@design:

If you did compactcom, then I will say well done! To me, it is better than the other 2. A few observations though:

1) Just do the flash on the home page. Then use a regular graphic for the rest. The flashing is too much for me (and perhaps others). I got the message the first time.

2) It seems you don't have that much content per page and further more, it appears you have set a fixed height per page thus lving a large portion of the white area empty. I would suggest you fill it up for balance.

3) It would be nice to have photos of the BODs. That is how many corporate sites do it.

Thanks,
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by designguru: 5:07pm On Oct 03, 2008
@yewa-ti-de

Thanks yewa for taking time out to visit my sites. Concerning compactcommunications.com, the company refused to give me any picture. They wanted me to finish it before they give me picture and more content. They wanted to see how beautiful it would look before they accept it but they are really impressed. In a few days time, i'll fill the white spaces with pictures and more content. Taliking about the flash, Well, they love it that way and i must give them what they want. They want their services shon on all pages that's why i came up with that concept and they really loved it.

Thanks anyway for your recommendation. I'll work on the content immediately i receive more information from the company. Thanks alot yewa-ti-de.

Designguru9 Incorporated.
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by Neptune(m): 8:19pm On Oct 03, 2008
hey man, nice one on the compactcommunications. its cool. it looks like something u r still working on though. my comments on the site though are: Try to allign all the text and picture on your site. all text on the site are not properly alligned. but overall its ok. but you can do better. you've got the talent obviously. try to introduce your own unique style to your websites. to differentiate your works from other people. check www.webworkstudio.net/SuperCard its something im still working on but it'll explain everything i want to explain to you better. gud luck man.
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by yawatide(f): 9:23pm On Oct 03, 2008
Pretty good Neptune.

All I would say in your case is:

1) Make use of white spaces - in particular on contact page, note how, cos your form fields are too small, there is a large white gap in the middle

2) Small font size: I see this over and over on many "Made in Nigeria" websites. People like me find it hard to read such tiny font. It gives me headaches, honestly.

3) You need to do better with your page names. What is "wwa" or "ss".html? I assume you want search engines to index your pages quickly and rank them high.

4) It would be nice if you highlighted the appropriate nav item for each page I am on.

5) For PDFs, it is a good practice to provide a link to adobe's site where users without reader can download it. Also, adding the file size wouldn't hurt so that users can determine if they want to bother downloading it or if they will read it on screen.

That's a quick review of your site. I hope you find it helpful.
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by designguru: 9:55pm On Oct 03, 2008
@neptune,

Mehn, ur site is really cool. I hope to meet you someday man. I love it soo much. Thanks for checking out mine and for pointing out my flaws. Really i appreciate it and u got it right, i'm still working on it. Mehn, you guys are rally inspiring me. I really love it man. I've just started building websites and see the replies i'm getting from u guys. Thanks alot.
Designguru9
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by Neptune(m): 3:07pm On Oct 05, 2008
designguru, ur welcome. and thanks. u can mail me though.

yawa-ti-de, thanks . i've taken note of all that although most of them might not change. but i find them useful though esspecially 3,4 & 5.

for 3, i have a way of making search engines index those pages with their names like that.

4, i found that a little time consuming and i very lazy, thats why on the top right of every page, you have an image telling you where u are.

5. i'm working on it. never thought of it before. (very useful grin)

thanks guys.
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by yawatide(f): 6:10pm On Oct 05, 2008
Neptune: no yawa, as long as you do it on future projects. As far as being lazy is concerned, I am sure you will agree that laziness never took anyone anywhere. Spend the time upfront and do the right thing. Besides, if you are like me, with every new project, you maintain a code library. that way, for your next project, you simply copy and paste from old to new wink
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by livingcove: 12:56pm On Oct 07, 2008
designguru, i really like www.compactcommunications.com. it looks professional.
so also www.designguru9.com. you guys really rock.
however, i'd like to ask you guys the software editing packages you use in designing your
projects. is it photoshop or dreamweaver or fireworks, or,

please, i'd like to know. i also have a site that offers graphic design services to internet marketers at

http://www.ecoversalive.com.

i create stunning ecovers and minisite packages for internet marketers only.

thanks for your replies,

olatunde.
Re: Simplicity Is The Key. by designguru: 6:10pm On Oct 07, 2008
Hi Livingcove. Thanks for reviewing my sites. Basically we combine dreamweaver, fireworks and mostly photoshop in designing all our projects. We also use flash for the little animations on them.
It's nice to know u also do graphics. That's very great.
Thanks once again.
Designguru.

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Good Hosting Comp. For Domain Trading. / Free Info On How To Get Paid For Testing Websites / Can Any Body Help Me With A Php Lookup Script

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.