Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,300 members, 7,819,018 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:01 AM

Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud (5466 Views)

Rebranded: Sex Olympics in London / Sammy Ameobi Makes Nigeria Pledge / Why Do Nigerian Single Mothers In Ireland Shase Their Husbands Out Of The House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by plusQueen: 3:48am On Oct 04, 2008
Often we hear all these crime news about Nigerians but we all know good things are happening.
Most don't make it to the newsroom
This woman is a hero.
We should be extremely proud of her.

in the last weeks of August 2008, seventeen UK newspapers and five television stations, including the great BBC TV and ITV, carried the news of one Mrs Julianah Balogun-Oke, a London resident, Nigerian single mother, whose quadruplets, 18-year old Tobi, Tosin, Tayo and Tolu had all achieved A and B grades in their A Level results at St Francis Xavier Sixth Form College in Clapham, South West London, and as a result, had all been admitted to various Ivy League universities in the UK – Manchester University, Goldsmiths College, St Mary’s University of London and Cambridge University.

Mrs Julianah Balogun-Oke (pix left): Certainly something to smile about.

Furthermore, these five television stations were all over themselves to interview Mrs Balogun-Oke for this achievement and were broadcast all over the country. And this remarkable woman, who lives on a council estate in one of the most deprived areas of London, if not the UK, said simply “It is not where you live, it is how you live”. What humility, what graciousness? She has had to cope with too many social and economic disadvantages over the years in raising up her quadruplets, who are just four of a total of seven children, all of who are doing well.

What is remarkable in this feat, is not so much that the lady had seven children in total, (the quadruplet are the last and the older ones are a Doctor, a Nurse and a Lawyer) that she raised alone, but the fact that she did this in a society currently embroiled in youth crimes and a culture of gangs

http://www.nigeriansinamerica.com/articles/2860/1/The-Story-of-Julianah-Balogun-Oke-A-Champion-Mother/Page1.html
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by plusQueen: 3:51am On Oct 04, 2008
proud mother

Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by Nobody: 4:35am On Oct 04, 2008
Awww, this is good. Nothing like having a strong maternal figure in one's life. God bless her.
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by timmfikk(m): 4:44am On Oct 04, 2008
This a good one to hear about such a mom, God give you more grace to be a good mom of your children, thanks for making ur fatherland proud ooois
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by gem87(f): 3:08am On Oct 05, 2008
oh yeah, i read that in london lite
how great is it, i'm proud of the woman and her kids
and of course of being nigerian ,
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by Nobody: 3:18am On Oct 05, 2008
“It is not where you live, it is how you live”
ahh, says who?
Where you live matters o, plz.
Where you live is just as important as how you live.
Well, it depends. It depends on how safe, secure, and comfortable one is with his/her environment
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by H2O2: 3:22am On Oct 05, 2008
Grace unto the lady

But, it's not like these shits don't go on everywhere; they just don't make news as much.
Iya sikiras and nkirus in Nigeria sell Bons and Eja dindin to raise their quintuplets into successful lawyers, doctors and whatever else.
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by plusQueen: 12:00am On Oct 06, 2008
Ruby_Pearl:

ahh, says who?
Where you live matters o, plz.
Where you live is just as important as how you live.
Well, it depends. It depends on how safe, secure, and comfortable one is with his/her environment

You're right and the proud mother above is also right.
she didn't create her situation and she didn't let her bad neighborhood define her and her kids.
I'm sure she could have moved if she could.
Her story proves that failure is a thing of the mind not a product of our circumstances
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by H2O2: 12:33am On Oct 06, 2008
plus_Queen:

Her story proves that failure is [b]sometimes[/b]a thing of the mind not a product of our circumstances

And at times, there's only so much the mind can do under horrible circumstances.
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by Nobody: 12:36am On Oct 06, 2008
plus_Queen:

You're right and the proud mother above is also right.
she didn't create her situation and she didn't let her bad neighborhood define her and her kids.
I'm sure she could have moved if she could.
Her story proves that failure is a thing of the mind not a product of our circumstances
When a mother is raising a child and she wants to raise her child the proper way, often times, it's hard to give up. because she knows she's not just living for herself.
well, I commend her, at the same time, it's nothing out of the ordinary
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by plusQueen: 12:41am On Oct 06, 2008
ruby,how many of such stories about Nigerians make it to the London news?
That's what makes it unique.
All the stories about our people is about crime and more crime and for major Newspapers and TV stations to carry this is a big deal even though we know it's common.
How many good stories have you heard here in the USA about Nigerians.
Besides 419 and militants in the NIger delta,what other Nigerian stories have you heard on CNN or ABC
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by Nobody: 12:43am On Oct 06, 2008
plus_Queen:

All the stories about our people is about crime and more crime and for major Newspapers and TV stations to carry this is a big deal even though we know it's common.
Besides 419 and militants in the NIger delta,what other Nigerian stories have you heard on CNN or ABC
Well, I guess.
So basically, what makes it so special is bcuz it got to the news.
Right now, am grinning from ear to ear.
Okay, I guess the woman tries sha.
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by plusQueen: 12:48am On Oct 06, 2008
LOL
A single mother living in a bad neighborhood who raised 7 kids and she has a lawyer.a doctor ,a nurse and a set of quadruplets in college is no easy accomplishment in any soceity.
In most families with that many children and 2 loving parents there's always one or two that turn out to be rogues.
News or no news she's done a swirl job.
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by Nobody: 12:53am On Oct 06, 2008
awww, now that's an accomplishment.
quad kini?
Well, thank God for scholarship money
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by Nobody: 1:32am On Oct 07, 2008
smiley
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by Ezinwannem: 3:26pm On Oct 07, 2008
I am very proud of her and her children. Congratulations
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by slimfine(f): 11:38pm On Dec 26, 2008
@Ezinwannam

I love your name!! wink

@poster

I read this story on nigeriainamerica.com and i was soo happy and proud!!! Go Naija!!!
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by 4Play(m): 11:45pm On Dec 26, 2008
plus_Queen:

Abeg, there are even more astonishing examples of rags to riches stories amongst the Chinese/Indian community, never mind the Jewish community. Do you want the newspapers to spend their time chronicling these stories?
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by slimfine(f): 3:21pm On Dec 27, 2008
@ 4 play

So?? hater!
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by Mashaluvs(f): 7:06am On Feb 02, 2009
to her i dedicate the song by shaggy ,,,(strength of a woman) and by tupac ( dear mama) and bob marley ( no woman no cry) good for her great role modle
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by spoilt(f): 12:04pm On Apr 22, 2009
She raised those children with blood and sweat. Some credit would be nice. Not easy at all.
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by TOYOSI20(f): 2:07am On Apr 27, 2009
I agree. . .kudos to her. . .if the kids turned out otherwise, the shame would rest on her shoulders as well!!

She actually does deserve all the credit in the world and then some!! cool cool
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by temi4rea(f): 12:53pm On Apr 28, 2009
@Toyosi

Some what jo!

Indeed a wonder mother!
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by harry6: 1:42am On Oct 31, 2009
my mom is also a single mother and it is not easy carrying 6 children along, so tumb up for the single mother smiley
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by thameamead(f): 2:25pm On Oct 31, 2009
i saw them on BBC NEWS, so proud of them, my mum is a single parent as well and am proud of her too. she went thr so much but i spoil her silly these days, non of the media once referred to their mum bn nigerian, if they had bn accused of a crime, the media would have referred to their mum as bn nigerian,
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by fuke(m): 1:45pm On Nov 02, 2009
Pride to motherhood. Well done sweet mother.
    May you lie long to reap from your sweat
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by imurboss: 4:10pm On Nov 03, 2009
She is a proud mum,this is worth emulating!
Re: Nigerian Single Mother In London Makes Nigeria Proud by beingme(f): 1:15pm On Nov 06, 2009
determination and focus

(1) (Reply)

Photos: Late Chief Deinde Fernandez Laid To Rest In Brussels, Belgium / Seun Nairaland Needs Spiritual Cleansing / Have You Ever Been Arrested And Locked Up In The Cell Before

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.