Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,119 members, 7,818,342 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl (2212 Views)

I Dared Two Expert Hackers To Destroy My Life. Here’s What Happened - Kevin Roos / What Happened To Programming? / EnterpreneurCountry Plans To Fill Funding Gap In Nigeria's Tech Startup Scene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Nobody: 12:37pm On Jun 27, 2014
well, this is not news, lets hear your views

my 2 kobo, with storage as cheap as 10 cents per gig/month, i will recommend that developers maintain a script that dumps data to a file and put it in private CDNs

then host codes in remote repositories, so even if let's say a politically motivated employee(am not insinuating anything here) makes modifications to an already secure code base, you are able to spot the difference

first off, this is no biggie, big tech coys get hacked daily but the ability to recover is what counts. kudos to seun and good to have nairaland back.
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by mitey(m): 1:15pm On Jun 27, 2014
Kudos?

I just lost half a year of my life on Nairaland. All my likes, comments and topics. Including my hard-earned Front Page topics, FTC spaces, etc.

I am sooooo very pissed right now. angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 27, 2014
I shall never recover from my great posts this year, thank God i have taken the initiative and taken my most important archives elsewhere such as my site, github etc
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by nelsondean9: 2:24pm On Jun 27, 2014
God! All my followed threads are no wher to be found, all my frnd datz keeps me updated incessantly, all gone!Ur database administrators sucks!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by blueyedgeek(m): 3:04pm On Jun 27, 2014
^^^^ You are talking about followed threads, I had to re - register again meaning that my account was essentially deleted from nairaland's servers.
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by acorntree(m): 3:10pm On Jun 27, 2014
Weekly backup is really needed. Seun need to step up. Last back up was on jan 10 which is too far for a popular site like this. This should be a lesson to seun.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by cyrielo(m): 3:16pm On Jun 27, 2014
i guess all my data are intact
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by ViktorMartins(m): 4:27pm On Jun 27, 2014
Don't know why he can't do a weekly backup. All my followed topics are gone

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by losprince(m): 5:17pm On Jun 27, 2014
seun is a big disappointment to web masters... *no diss* let's face it, he is just lucky to have no competitors or else he would have lost it.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by iceberylin(m): 5:25pm On Jun 27, 2014
losprince: seun is a big disappointment to web masters... *no diss* let's face it, he is just lucky to have no competitors or else he would have lost it.
ĹŐŚŤ ÁĹĹ MŶ ĎÁŤÁ!!!

ŐĤĤĤĤ
Ĩ ŤĤĨŃĶ MÁŃĶĨŃĎ ĨŚ ĔVĔŃ ßĔŤŤĔŔ....

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by CALEB65(m): 5:56pm On Jun 27, 2014
acorn tree: Weekly backup is really needed. Seun need to step up. Last back up was on jan 10 which is too far for a popular site like this. This should be a lesson to seun.
I totally agree, seun hv 2 stepup & mayb try weekly backup
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by kobonaire(m): 6:22pm On Jun 27, 2014
ViktorMartins: Don't know why he can't do a weekly backup. All my followed topics are gone
actually, I feel they should have been backing up daily. The commercial value of NL is high and so I am rather surprised that that management did not have an effective recovery scheme in place. I do hope that they have a back up of all our previous posts, likes, accounts etc and that they all get fully restored.
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Ajibel(m): 6:24pm On Jun 27, 2014
This was a big hit. Learnt sth from these tho' buh that wont revive my threads and posts i like that are gone cry
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by ultraGM: 7:10pm On Jun 27, 2014
I have #500 MTN card on those lost tread, am about to load it on Sunday before NL Goes off.
That is the only thing i can lost my post are recoverable.

BTWL Welcome to the New World
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by zicjoe(m): 7:31pm On Jun 27, 2014
blueyedgeek: ^^^^ You are talking about followed threads, I had to re - register again meaning that my account was essentially deleted from nairaland's servers.
lol. Ur own no b smal tin. BlueyedgeekHw has it been since sunday?
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by webcalculator(m): 7:36pm On Jun 27, 2014
What nairaland need is a cron job for daily backups. Seun should be master in this, I don't know why this happened
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by blueyedgeek(m): 7:38pm On Jun 27, 2014
zicjoe: lol. Ur own no b smal tin. BlueyedgeekHw has it been since sunday?
You never know the importance of some things until it gets hacked by "an attack that leads to data loss" . I realise that for me there is no viable alternative to this forum. But as I like the site reach, the site no like me back, e come be like say na only my account delete throw way.

Moral of the story: Seun, chai diaris God O!
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by zicjoe(m): 7:44pm On Jun 27, 2014
blueyedgeek: You never know the importance of some things until it gets hacked by "an attack that leads to data loss" . I realise that for me there is no viable alternative to this forum. But as I like the site reach, the site no like me back, e come be like say na only my account delete throw way.

Moral of the story: Seun, chai diaris God O!
im telliin u. like criously, i search, search nd search bt cudnt find an alternative. so wats up wit d contest tin? any news?
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by blueyedgeek(m): 7:55pm On Jun 27, 2014
zicjoe: im telliin u. like criously, i search, search nd search bt cudnt find an alternative. so wats up wit d contest tin? any news?
Don't worry, I've spoken with Sisquology regarding it and he has assured me that it will continue as planned. Hopefully, nairaland is fully back and will not suffer another "attack that leads to site deletion"
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by zicjoe(m): 8:00pm On Jun 27, 2014
blueyedgeek: Don't worry, I've spoken with Sisquology regarding it and he has assured me that it will continue as planned. Hopefully, nairaland is fully back and will not suffer another "attack that leads to site deletion"
kk same tin he told me. tnks.
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by ViktorMartins(m): 8:08pm On Jun 27, 2014
kobonaire: actually, I feel they should have been backing up daily. The commercial value of NL is high and so I am rather surprised that that management did not have an effective recovery scheme in place. I do hope that they have a back up of all our previous posts, likes, accounts etc and that they all get fully restored.
Seun needs to go for management training, and leadership training. He lacks those two important qualities. Imagine, not being able to address the people giving him his traffic stating what happened n carrying us along; treating us as if we are robots.

3 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by curiouslad(m): 8:19pm On Jun 27, 2014
This feels like time travel to me grin grin grin

It wasn't funny though not being able to access Nairaland for days angry angry
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Donkunxex(m): 8:20pm On Jun 27, 2014
ViktorMartins:
Seun needs to go for management training, and leadership training. He lacks those two important qualities. Imagine, not being able to address the people giving him his traffic stating what happened n carrying us along; treating us as if we are robots.
seconded...... this cannot happen to. facebook or twitter without dem tellinq deir users about it....luk how dey are working on it.... d only tin I saw on facebook was I'm so sorry or sumtin...
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by losprince(m): 8:57pm On Jun 27, 2014
Donkunxex:
seconded...... this cannot happen to. facebook or twitter without dem tellinq deir users about it....luk how dey are working on it.... d only tin I saw on facebook was I'm so sorry or sumtin...
seun should be flogged , hanged, and flogged again.
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Raypawer(m): 9:00pm On Jun 27, 2014
blueyedgeek: ^^^^ You are talking about followed threads, I had to re - register again meaning that my account was essentially deleted from nairaland's servers.

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy : D

my account has been reversed to 2013...

am wandering i will be able to revisit my bookmarked pages... it just redirected to nowhere..

guy u mak me laf... reduce d vexation bro..
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Ik09: 9:04pm On Jun 27, 2014
This entire affair reeks of incompetence.

I'm actually surprised Nairaland got this far, if its developer doesn't understand redundancy or know how to make regular backups.

Instead of explaining what really happened, Seun is telling us it's an "attack". Some NLanders might believe his village people are responsible for the loss of 6 months' data, but not me.

The outage and subsequent data loss are probably due to a corrupted hard drive. Or maybe Seun accidentally deleted the site's database. Who knows?

I just hope he's learnt from it though. This time, we all came back because there's no alternative... but that can easily change.

2 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by blueyedgeek(m): 9:23pm On Jun 27, 2014
Raypawer:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy : D

my account has been reversed to 2013...

am wandering i will be able to revisit my bookmarked pages... it just redirected to nowhere..

guy u mak me laf... reduce d vexation bro..
I no vex oo, at least no be only me the tin affect. My own no fit reverse to 2013 because by that time this moniker never exist sef.
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by kobonaire(m): 9:37pm On Jun 27, 2014
ViktorMartins:
I kind of agree, he's a brilliant programmer/software developer (I can attest to that because he's active on the software forums : "stack overflow" ). He does need help, like you said, in areas of management, operations etc. I don't believe he alone can do those duties, so he perhaps needs to hire competent professionals for those functions.

"Treating us as if we are robots" .... that one na de Naija style/way grin

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by ViktorMartins(m): 10:33pm On Jun 27, 2014
kobonaire: I kind of agree, he's a brilliant programmer/software developer (I can attest to that because he's active on the software forums : "stack overflow" ). He does need help, like you said, in areas of management, operations etc. I don't believe he alone can do those duties, so he perhaps needs to hire competent professionals for those functions.

"Treating us as if we are robots" .... that one na de Naija style/way grin
pls, what's his username on stack overflow?
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by kobonaire(m): 10:37pm On Jun 27, 2014
ViktorMartins:
pls, what's his username on stack overflow?
his full name
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jun 27, 2014
Nairaland is PDP! Me i don sabi dat one tay tay
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by ViktorMartins(m): 12:29am On Jun 28, 2014
kobonaire: his full name
Thanks man

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Farwell To J2ME, It Really Hepled During It's Time Cause Of Its Multiplateform. / Useless Youtube Channels Every Beginner Front End Developer Should Avoid / 7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.