Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,803 members, 7,824,339 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl (2216 Views)

I Dared Two Expert Hackers To Destroy My Life. Here’s What Happened - Kevin Roos / What Happened To Programming? / EnterpreneurCountry Plans To Fill Funding Gap In Nigeria's Tech Startup Scene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Nobody: 12:37am On Jun 28, 2014
losprince: seun should be flogged , hanged, and flogged again.
We need to cut off your tongue, shoot your tongue and then shoot you for saying that. You no come get am for respect anymore.

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Nobody: 12:38am On Jun 28, 2014

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by losprince(m): 3:54pm On Jun 28, 2014
*dhtml:

We need to cut off your tongue, shoot your tongue and then shoot you for saying that. You no come get am for respect anymore.
your father needs to re-enjaculate you. you done dey get affairs with seun?
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 28, 2014
losprince: your father needs to re-enjaculate you. you done dey get affairs with seun?
He cannot even spell correctly, olodo-rabata!

1 Like

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by losprince(m): 4:25pm On Jun 28, 2014
*dhtml:

He cannot even spell correctly, olodo-rabata!
I would have loved to continue... but since seun failed us once , he will do it again, and then all my words will be lost, so its pointless
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Nobody: 4:32pm On Jun 28, 2014
losprince: I would have loved to continue... but since seun failed us once , he will do it again, and then all my words will be lost, so its pointless
Lawd have mercy, see as them just dey dirty mister seun anyhow for hia? kai! you should remember that DIARIS GOD O!
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by trytillmake(m): 9:54pm On Jun 28, 2014
SEUN,S response to the site being down. His response on Sunday was "I AM SORRY" i tell u, that was the most uninsightful response u could give for a website that had more than a million followers, being viewed by Nigerians and foreigners from all the world, a repository of information, a potential source for companies to sell their brands, Government resource to sell their views to its citizens and much more, does SEUN know the value of Nairaland, does he know what he has in his hands, i tell u a co-worker in my office has been so moody since MONDAY because of Nairaland, then u now come and say, "I AM SORRY" that response was it directed to his babe he is breaking up on facebook or to lesser mortals,

Pls SEUN thank GOD Nairaland is back but pls i will like u to upgrade yr PR, U CAN'T do all alone, let people help u at least u would have given a not too technical explanation about the timeout then People would have been satisfied and alot of potential clients would have waited patiently, and u would have given daily tweets or posts on facebook so we knw wat's gwan.

I think u also need to upgrade the look of this yr site, seriously it is bland looking, content is good of course but let it be catchy at first experience, the mix with green can be played with.

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by ochukoccna: 1:54pm On Jul 01, 2014
Seun's official release on Nl's recent outage and data loss is a load of horsesh*t IMHO undecided undecided undecided
Even green horns in computing know that your data is your lifeblood , talk less of a Seun who has spent years in computing coming up with tales by moonlight excuses of the hosting company handling Nairaland's traffic having their data servers hacked
Anyone learning Database 101 knows you store your data off-site and backups in different places
Unless he's wanting us to tag him a an incompetent IT professional shocked shocked
He could feed the gullible with such horsesh*t but not those who know how binary numbers stack up
And to think conversations on the outage have been in the site's back pages and not given prominence
Hmnn!
I always reserve my choice words and actions for when I visualize Janus faced dudes in person cool cool cool

4 Likes

Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 01, 2014
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by ochukoccna: 8:12pm On Jul 01, 2014
webdezzi:

he uses a dedicated server.
they probably owned NL server and deleted the database and files.

one thing remains true, asides root access to every server, there is usually a web access area provided by dedicated server providers where owners can reset root passwords. if they gain access to such area, then this can happen.

and if his post on the issue is true and will be of any help to other developers, naming the provider can go a long way to help developers stay off such host and logically i think Seun will probably be talking about a legal action against them on that thread too.

again, instead of the "I am sorry", It would have been, "Our host provider got hacked"
atleast as a developer and a regular contributor in this section, that will ensure he will be able to post on here without arguments ending with "yea, no wonder you got hacked"

Dedicated server or not, its still horsesh*t IMHO
In Seun's words
The hacker deleted everything on our server, including our backups which we kept in a separate disk on the same server.
How can you keep your backups ON THE SAME SERVER? angry angry shocked shocked
In today's world, even the most security conscious person can get HACKED embarassed
How come nairaland had to get hacked before his 4 point promise i.e.
Here's how we plan to secure your data in the future:
1) We've moved away from the host that lost our data to a very reputable host which is less likely to get hacked.
2) We've started storing our backups in remote location(s) that are completely independent of our primary server.
3) We're doing a full review of all our operations in order to greatly improve security in every way that we can.
4) We're trying to set up comprehensive disaster recovery plans so that Nairaland will survive no matter what happens..
It reeks of bad management, lack of foresight and planning I tell you
If this happened when Nairaland was still some obscure fledging site, I'd concur
Wasn't it the same Seun who turned down a 150 mill offer for the site some time back? sad sad
Probably if he had serious competition which made him sweat, he'd sit up
He too acknowledged that
Nairaland is no longer just Seun Osewa's lucrative hobby. It is a vital resource that Nigerians and corporate bodies rely on.
So why run it like a university dorm start-up cool cool
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jul 01, 2014
ochukoccna:
Dedicated server or not, its still horsesh*t IMHO
In Seun's words
How can you keep your backups ON THE SAME SERVER? angry angry shocked shocked
In today's world, even the most security conscious person can get HACKED embarassed
How come nairaland had to get hacked before his 4 point promise i.e.
It reeks of bad management, lack of foresight and planning I tell you
If this happened when Nairaland was still some obscure fledging site, I'd concur
Wasn't it the same Seun who turned down a 150 mill offer for the site some time back? sad sad
Probably if he had serious competition which made him sweat, he'd sit up
He too acknowledged that
So why run it like a university dorm start-up cool cool

but really, anyone who hacks NL would claim the trophy, put up something like "mozzoo wuz here" on frontpage
maybe hit twitter or pastebin too

anyways, waiting to see the ads come back.
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by CodeHouse: 12:24pm On Jul 02, 2014
Well anything could have happened. Another factor to consider is that Nairaland was brought down by its users, it was over burdened and Seun and his Team took time out to upgrade, deleting and pruning the site. I might be wrong in all but...

What do you expect in a forum where one person has 40 usernames? The user statistics of nairaland, I do not trust..I moderate in other forums (not Nigerian) and one of the rules is that one user could only have a username and that alone has curbed scamming because IP wether static or dynamic is tied to a username. If you post fom the same IP with different usernames, you get a ban.

Today, nairaland is not even safe for transaction, you could get scammed in autos, or wherever section and the same scammer will be trying to help you catch the theif because he has 30 usernames to switch to.

If you ban a username, the same person opens another in 5 seconds, why not ban IPs? On my forum, I ban IPs.

Where are all the hidden posts, do they get deleted? What about post that are irrelevant? Just like Nigeria, Nairaland lack proper maintenance culture.

Any site could be hacked, I could even hack nairaland, with my team, seriously no sweat! But why would I want to do that?

Another pertinent question here is what exactly did the hacker access? Usernames? Your Likes and Mentions? Do you have your bank details here on NL? Your Post, which one in particular? Why not that post?...ufffffff!
So the issue is not about hacking, but sanitation done by nairaland team.

Did you not read the error code and message from cloudfare each time you try to connect?
Re: What Do You Think Happened Behind The Scene With Nl by asalimpo(m): 8:42pm On Jul 02, 2014
The i.p thing wont work here because the phone networks , mainly used for internet access , group many users under a single i.p .
(correct me if i'm wrong).

The 1 user 1 username is suppressive.
Multiple user name isnt dubious or dishonest per se. Just like more thn 1 phone number or email isnt dubious. Psychologically, anonymity+identity (thru a username) , gives some ppl the opportunity to experiment and express different personas.
(it can b for good or evil). Something not possible in d real world but possible online.
If ppl know they are tracked or can b tracked by any means (they'll b more self conscious and less expressive and evrybody will b worse off for it in d long run.
To understand wat i'm sayg look @ china . What d citizens feel about d government cant b xpressed online , so expression is supressed but tht doesnt remove the real thoughts from ppls minds.
)

(1) (2) (Reply)

7 Reasons Why You Will Never Do Anything Amazing With Your Life / Learn The Fundamental Of Programming Using The Zoom App. / Making An App: 6 Things You Should Consider Before Getting Started

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.