Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,230 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:07 AM

Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings (8458 Views)

Start Agriculture And Export Business , Get Your Soft Copy For Free!!! / New NYSC Posting Policy: Rural, Education, Agriculture Only / Jobs At National Programme For Agriculture And Food Security (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 2:28pm On Jun 28, 2014
Its obvious many of our youth have great interest in one form of agriculture or the other. There are plenty opportunities in agriculture coupled with our good weather and climate.
But how many are willing to sacrifice for this? Forget about the e books that tells you how to make 100 millions from a plot of land in your backyard. Why are they selling e books and not just make the billions for themselves?
Who told you any sort of farming is easy?. Who told you a plot of land will fetch you billions of naira in a year. Don't be deceived.
Farming is a great and lucrative business, but it requires a lot of hard work, lot of sacrifices coupled with dedication
Most of us want to stay in the city, we did not want to soil our hands, we cant cope with village life, yet we claim to be farmers. We dream of making billions from the non fertile, over used land from the back yard
85% of the lands in the city or close to the city have been over used, they have lost their nutrients and fertility. What quantity or quality do you expect out of such?
The truth is , to break even in any sort of farming, one must have a large to medium size of land. Not one or two plot, not even one hectare as we have all been agitating for.
Most of the companies that make use if this raw materials want to be assure of continuous supply because they produce throughout the year.
Importation of raw agricultural materials is on the increase because they are sure if steady supply of goods.
How many tonnes of maize, cassava, soya beans can you assured them of supplying throughout the year from your back yard farming.
The farmers in the rural area are still using their old methods of crude farming. With our exposure and education, one can improve on the old methods.
The large expanse of land for farming can only be gotten for almost free in the rural area. We all come from one village or the other. There are lot of fertile land wasting away.
A word they say is enough for the wise. We should make some sacrifice to build the future

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by 1stUnique(m): 3:22pm On Jun 28, 2014
Nice and inspiring one bros

2 Likes

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Pavore9: 3:24pm On Jun 28, 2014
Exposure to modern techniques is our edge over our older ones in d villages who with their outdated methods are still feeding us. Merge your knowledge with the abundant land in d rural area & see yourself soar. I am working towards contract farming.

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Roland17(m): 6:03pm On Jun 28, 2014
It's very pathetic and disheartening that young graduates despite the level of unemployment refuse to take advantage of the potentials in Agriculture, any form of Agriculture requires a lot of strength and courage, be it crop cultivation, Animal Husbandry or even advanced Agro-Economics.

In a developing nation like Nigeria where Rural - urban migration is still very rifle, I wish the government can implement policies that help create large farming areas around Rural areas in the nation, built for the cultivation of cash crops and essential animals, monetize the agricultural sector to encourage youth participation, force agricultural banks and other banks to relax stringent processes and rules of obtaining soft agricultural loans..

The government can't do this alone for sure, youths have show enthusiasm and drive, cos without passion no one can succeed in Agriculture..

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 9:23pm On Jun 28, 2014
You have said it all.
Waiting for the government can be liken to a camel waanting to pass through a needle.
Its time the youths take some bold step. Its not going to be easy.
We all know Rome was not built in a day

In a developing nation like Nigeria where Rural - urban migration is still very rifle, I wish the government can implement policies that help create large farming areas around Rural areas in the nation, built for the cultivation of cash crops and essential animals, monetize the agricultural sector to encourage youth participation, force agricultural banks and other banks to relax stringent processes and rules of obtaining soft agricultural loans..
The government can't do this alone for sure, youths have show enthusiasm and drive, cos without passion no one can succeed in Agriculture..[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Nobody: 4:15am On Jun 29, 2014
Good tohaveyou guys here, following
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 10:46pm On Jun 29, 2014
ENTREPRENEUR YOUTH MULTIPURPOSE COOPERATIVE -:

This is to inform all members of EYMC that there is going to be Nomination/Election at the next meeting on 12th July 2014

Members are encouraged to be available as every decision will be binding on all

The following posts have been declared vacant

President, Vice-president, General Secretary, Assistant Secretary, Treasurer, Financial secretary and Ex officio

Qualifying Criteria

*Must be a registered member

*must have paid the minimum shares, monthly dues and Monthly saving from the day of registration till date.

Thanks for your cooperation

Election Committee

Mr Ogunyomi Adedeji
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 4:00pm On Jul 09, 2014
The Entrepreneur Youth Cooperative meeting will be coming up on Saturday 12th July 2014 at Block J Plot 9 Bola Ajibola Street Abeokuta Ogun State. Time 10 am. The no to call is 08064688501. Election will be holding on that day. Thank you
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 8:19pm On Aug 22, 2014
Lets create jobs. Be creative

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Lesgupnigeria(m): 11:20am On Aug 23, 2014
Great write-up

Without the youths in agriculture,Nigeria cannot be self sufficient in food production.

With determination and hard work,success is inevitable.

Ride on guys,we are committed to creating millions of jobs in agriculture
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 10:26pm On Aug 24, 2014
Lesgupnigeria: Great write-up
Without the youths in agriculture,Nigeria cannot be self sufficient in food production.
With determination and hard work,success is inevitable.
Ride on guys,we are committed to creating millions of jobs in agriculture
Thank you

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Juliana7: 11:10pm On Aug 24, 2014
@ op awesome write-up

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 9:19pm On Aug 25, 2014
Juliana7: @ op awesome write-up
Thank You

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by carzim(m): 1:21pm On Aug 26, 2014
good write-up but do you have any idea about plantain farming
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 9:33pm On Aug 26, 2014
carzim: good write-up but do you have any idea about plantain farming
Thank you. But sorry I m a novice in plantain farming. There are lots of plantain thread on nairaland. They could bee of help
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Abbey2sam(m): 5:09am On Sep 07, 2014
m
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Nobody: 5:15am On Sep 07, 2014
Meanwhile,
I write jamb = Boko haram
I go University = Strike
I no go school = Poverty
I wan travel by air = Plane crash
I travel by sea = Millitants
I travel by road = Accident
I go out to relax = Kidnappers
I go Bank = Armed Robbers
Make i enter bus 4 Nyanya
Motor park Abuja = Bomb blast
I vex use leg go village = WitchCraft
I dey house = No work
I go work = Low Salary
I de room = No light
Make i marry = No money...
I even shake person = Ebola.
But Despite All Dis U're Still
Living Αnd still breathing
If U know U're among da living... Simply reply "AMEN"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Nobody: 5:18am On Sep 07, 2014
This days what most people want is a job where they wear suit and move around with briefcase...they've forgotten our Agriculture is another way to make it big...at the end of the day they gonna blame it on the government and Joblessness...see farm work una no wan do.

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by baba11(m): 5:24am On Sep 07, 2014
Op,it's government support we need most,without it,we can't achieve much..How is one gonna get low interest rate loan,machinery,fertilisers,land etc...Government policies and politicisation of the whole stuff also is there

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Funbii(m): 6:04am On Sep 07, 2014
no comment... just space booking sad
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by OracleHex(m): 6:21am On Sep 07, 2014
jethro2: Lets create jobs. Be creative
Very inspirational thread.
I would like to go into tomato farming in the east and i would love you to give me information.

Why is it that virtually all tomatos in the market are from the north, does it mean that the lands in the east are not fertile for tomatoe farming
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 6:41am On Sep 07, 2014
baba11: Op,it's government support we need most,without it,we can't achieve much..How is one gonna get low interest rate loan,machinery,fertilisers,land etc...Government policies and politicisation of the whole stuff also is there
Governments in Nigeria is not functioning. We can't keep waiting for empty promises. Start small from your angle.

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Smoj(m): 6:45am On Sep 07, 2014
I'm interested in farming but I don't know where or how to get sufficient land. I want a govt land not an individual one where a stupid omo-onile will not allow me rest. I reside in Lagos. @op & others, hw can u be of help?
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 6:47am On Sep 07, 2014
OracleHex:
I would like to go into tomato farming in the east and i would love you to give me information.
Why is it that virtually all tomatos in the market are from the north, does it mean that the lands in the east are not fertile for tomatoe farming
Northerners are the only farmers that are into commercial planting of tomatoes. They also make use of improved seeds and varieties. They are in groups and cooperative of more than 1000 people. Their state governments also support them with some incentives. You can plant tomato in every part of the country

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by jethro2: 7:26am On Sep 07, 2014
For one to make an impact in farming, it has to be on a large scale. Most youth can not afford the expenses but youths can be in commodity and crop associations. This will make it easy to access some facilities. There is power in no
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:30am On Sep 07, 2014
Smoj: I'm interested in farming but I don't know where or how to get sufficient land. I want a govt land not an individual one where a stupid omo-onile will not allow me rest. I reside in Lagos. @op & others, hw can u be of help?
Farmlands are available in Oyo state.
Contact me on 08164628081,08092034147 or add me on whatsapp for more info.
Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Lesgupnigeria(m): 7:35am On Sep 07, 2014
OracleHex:

Tomatoes are also being grown in the south here but due to lack of support (lands,credits,irrigation system) from the northern state government,they produce in larger scale.

1 Like

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by Dankarara(m): 10:27am On Sep 07, 2014
I really don't know y pple don't want to reside in d village. I m a graduate & since I have no work doing in d city, I relocated to d village where I set-up a small scale business & at d same time farming. Now I can comfortably feed my family & at d same time save some money.

2 Likes

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by bamdexfarms(m): 10:28am On Sep 07, 2014
@ nchewi, grow up. Don't insult anybody here because of your incapability. Ok?

2 Likes

Re: Youth, Agriculture And Rural Settings by yemmit90: 10:56am On Sep 07, 2014
nchewi: Bullshit!!! You think starting a commercial farm is cheap? Abi na subsistence agriculture u want make dem go do for dia village ni? undecided All of you bad-mouthing graduates for not venturing into agriculture, una dey craze!!!

Childish comment!

@op, nice write up I must say.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Where To Source For Shea Butter In Bulk / How To Register Your Business Or Farm With CAC / Dangote To Invest $450m In Agric In Niger State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.