Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,960 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). - Agriculture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). (102441 Views)

Interesting Facts About The West African Giant Land Snails / How Many Rabbits Do You See? / get Rabbits and guinea pigs healthy ones (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (26) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 3:01pm On Jul 13, 2015
image 1 female
image 2 male

HOUSING AND EQUIPMENT
Rabbit housing and equipment differ from country to country. Factors that affect their design include;
Climate
Raw materials (Availability and cost)
Scale (large or medium) and system of production (Intensive, Extensive or semi-intensive)
Expertise of the rabbit production

Housing requirement
Housing should be able to provide;
Adequate space: Since rabbit spends its entire life in its hutch, it therefore needs sufficient space to avoid the stress caused by restriction of movement. Space should be able to provide good ventilation to prevent the animal from being choked up by ammonia (NH3) from their urine.

Protection: Housing should be able to prevent against injury within the hutch, rain, direct sunlight, direct and indirect wind and predators such as dogs, cats, rats, ants, man, etc.
TYPES OF CAGES/ HUTCHES
Indoor hutches: These are kept inside a house (stable). The stable is a place in which or under which the hutches are placed.

Advantages:
It provides good conditions for the rabbit and the rabbit keeper
Easy access to animal (even when there is rain or high sunlight)
For animal adequate protection
The individual hutch can be easily cleaned and disinfected
It allows ease increase in production

Disadvantage:
It is very expensive
Out door:
The requirements of space, protection and ease of management can be achieved through appropriate design, construction and siting.

Design: A typical rabbit hutch dimensions are follows;
1m above the ground
Height of hutch: 60cm at the front, 50cm at the back for easy drainage
Width: 50-60cm
Length: 90-120cm

Construction: The materials used in construction would usually be locally available materials such as interwoven branches, split bamboo, mud, tin, plastic. If possible, a fence should be built around outdoor hutches and fitted with a padlock gate.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 3:10pm On Jul 13, 2015
rabbit tested and trusted house net

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by peacemaranatha(m): 8:47pm On Jul 13, 2015
dyoungforester:
@ peacemaranatha, here goes the price
Weaners 4-6 weeks #1500
growers 8- 12 weeks # 2500
breeder 14- 16 weeks #3500
parent stock 16 weeks and above # 4000 - 5000.
Thanks

I need 8-12 was can it goes for 2000? and hope its both male and female? let me know quickly
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by exclusive7(m): 11:55pm On Jul 13, 2015
dyoungforesters...around what age wld my doe come on heat and how would i now?..my doe z over 2months
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Olamilec(m): 10:27am On Jul 14, 2015
Thanks @dyoungforester for the reply and apology accepted. Concerning the cage of 5 - 8 cell, can we have a picture sample of the netted cage and how much will it cost to transport it to Ado Ekiti cos my rabbits will be getting out of hand soon cos of the birth of weaners. Also can Fleming Giant mate with ordinary ones or I will have to buy doe and buck of Fleming Giants?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 11:46am On Jul 14, 2015
@ peace, let me know the number of rabbit you want to purchase so that If I can agree with your terms.thanks.
8-12 ( is it eight rabbits) or 8-12 weeks old.
Dyoung forester.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 12:13pm On Jul 14, 2015
@ exclusive7, for male the maturity starts from 5-6 months, Female 4-5 months old.
But note that maturity age can be hinder or hasten depending on feeds contents/ nutrients, management care or facility available and genetic variation.
How to know if your rabbit is on heat is just by checking the vulva of the rabbit if it turns pink red it is on heat or when you introduce your female rabbit to the male instead of the male mounting the female, the female will be mounting the male.
But if I want my female rabbit to be mated there is a method I used to adopt to which is term FALSE MATING because some rabbits are just too stubborn to follow jeje mating and this method is always working for me atleast 75%.thanks dyoungforester.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 12:22pm On Jul 14, 2015
@Olemilec , OK I will upload the pics later and likewise you can mate flemish giant with other breeds of rabbit but you must know that the offspring won't be pure breed of either Flemish giant or the other. Thanks
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Olamilec(m): 1:10pm On Jul 14, 2015
dyoungforester:
@Olemilec , OK I will upload the pics later and likewise you can mate flemish giant with other breeds of rabbit but you must know that the offspring won't be pure breed of either Flemish giant or the other. Thanks
Yes I love the thread now for the quick response time, this is how it suppose to be.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 1:31pm On Jul 14, 2015
Thanks @ Olamilec
Mating
Experience suggests that early morning or evening mating is best. It is certainly advisable to avoid the hottest periods of the day for this important operation.

For mating, always take the doe to the buck’s cage. If they fail to mate a few minutes, take her to a different buck.

If this fails, try again the next day but do not leave the doe with the buck all day or even an hour in an attempt to solve a mating problem.

If the does is ready to be mated she will stand still within a few seconds, stretch out and slightly raise her hindquarter so as to allow the buck to mount and mate.

Successful mating is signaled by the buck thrusting forward and literally falling off the doe. Often the buck makes a characteristics cry of pain or joy. If the buck slides backwards off the doe and does not fall the mating has not taken place.

If mating was successful put the doe back in her hutch.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 1:36pm On Jul 14, 2015
Pregnancy test for rabbits

Palpating
Palpating is a method used for determining doe pregnancy at 14 days after mating. Non-pregnant does are re-bred immediately.

Late pregnancy test
Inexperience keepers should practice detecting pregnancy on does that are 20 days pregnant at which stage the fetuses are easy to identify. By around 28 days the mammary gland will have developed significantly and this can be regarded as final confirmation of pregnancy. At around 29 days, the doe will begin to remove fur from her abdomen to make a nest.

Pseudo-Pregnancy Test
False pregnancy occurs as a result of sterile mating or more commonly from stimulation of one doe riding another. It happens more frequently with does that have not kindled their first litter. Always separate does at least a month prior to breeding.

Does must be separated at least 18-20 days before mating. The doe may pull fur and attempt to make a nest but she will not keep it clean.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 2:29pm On Jul 14, 2015
Olamilec:
Hello House,
Am back cos I see little post here again, I don't why people will be derailing this thread. Where can I get a Fleming giant rabbit? @Samshoz @dyoungforester I hope you people are not going anywhere again we need you here.
Bro, doubt if you can get it in Nigeria.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Olamilec(m): 4:25pm On Jul 14, 2015
samshoz:
Bro, doubt if you can get it in Nigeria.
I have someone that keep them in his farm and when I contacted him he said he is not selling but I can get it at IITA in Ibadan where he got his own.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by samshoz(m): 7:29pm On Jul 14, 2015
Olamilec:

I have someone that keep them in his farm and when I contacted him he said he is not selling but I can get it at IITA in Ibadan where he got his own.
Really? It is as big as dog. Do you have a market for it?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 2:13pm On Jul 15, 2015
@ olamilec I had contacted someone at IITA if truly they does rear or sale rabbit but he said NO. the good news is that I know where to get Flemish giant in Lagos from one of my customer but she only want to sale the young ones.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Olamilec(m): 4:18pm On Jul 15, 2015
dyoungforester:
@ olamilec I had contacted someone at IITA if truly they does rear or sale rabbit but he said NO. the good news is that I know where to get Flemish giant in Lagos from one of my customer but she only want to sale the young ones.
Okay that's fine, how much is the young ones doe and buck, and how can we see to make the transaction if it's not too costly?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by eluyebamayowa: 5:29pm On Jul 15, 2015
[quote author=Olamilec post=35894872]
Okay that's fine, how much is the young ones doe and buck, and how can we see to make the transaction if it's not too costly?.
I will also like getin one base on d price
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 6:30am On Jul 16, 2015
I will ask the woman of the price she want to sale them. but where are you located ?
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 6:39am On Jul 16, 2015
see this pics (Angora rabbit breed)

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 6:49am On Jul 16, 2015
means used in transporting rabbit

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 9:06am On Jul 16, 2015
one of the means to transport rabbit

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Olamilec(m): 9:19am On Jul 16, 2015
dyoungforester:
I will ask the woman of the price she want to sale them. but where are you located ?
Am working in Ado Ekiti but my family stays in Lagos so I do come to Lasgidi often.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 9:56am On Jul 16, 2015
OK sir

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by boluwajokosegun: 5:21pm On Jul 17, 2015
deyoungforever how much is d Flmgt & pls send me ur phone number on eesteeresources@gmail.com or 08136650972
. Thanks
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by Fhemmmy: 5:58pm On Jul 17, 2015
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 6:31pm On Jul 17, 2015
my proclaimed Flemish Giant formally in my farm

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 6:34pm On Jul 17, 2015
Formal name Ayomide Orobo

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 6:38pm On Jul 17, 2015
End time

1 Like

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 6:49pm On Jul 17, 2015
@ olami cage to be sold (reused hutch)

Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 10:01pm On Jul 17, 2015
Those who are asking me for white rat, mice and guinea pig are now available for sale.
Re: Interesting Facts About Rabbits (oryctolagus Cuniculus). by dyoungforester(m): 10:06pm On Jul 17, 2015
Those who were asking me for white rat, mice and guinea pig are now available for sale.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (26) (Reply)

World's Biggest Cow Escapes Slaughter Because It's Too Big To Fit In Abattoir / The Fast Money Making Machine Crop In Pictures You Can Start Now!!. / A Farmer Killed Huge Python In His Farm In Rivers State (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.