Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,269 members, 7,811,775 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

There Are Actually Other Sports Than Football - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / There Are Actually Other Sports Than Football (548 Views)

8 Footballers Who Could Have Excelled In Other Sports / Lanre Da Silva Ajayi Says Fashion Makes More Impact Than Football In Nigeria / A Sport 3x More Popular Than Football! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

There Are Actually Other Sports Than Football by ogonogo: 12:29am On Jun 30, 2014
Why are we no longer interested in any other sport than football? There are so many other interesting sports besides football. Nigerians used to excel in track n field, boxing, table tennis, basketball etc. Nowadays, nobody seems to pay attention to anything other than football. What happened? Dick Tiger, Chioma Ajunwa, Atanda Musa were all household names along with Nwankwo Kanu and co whom we adored.

This past weekend in lagos, there was an African table tennis top 16 tournament in which our own Quadri Aruna won. This means that a Nigerian will represent Africa in this years World Cup for table tennis.....a huge accomplishment, considering we were the underdog to Egypt in this competition.

Disappointment at the immediately preceding GAC Group 2014 ITTF World Tour Nigeria Open; at the ensuing ITTF-Africa Cup staged in the same venue in Lagos, it was success for Nigeria’s Quadri Aruna and Dina Meshref.

On the evening of Saturday 28th June, Quadri Aruna won the Men’s title; Dina Meshref secured the counterpart Women’s crown.

At the final hurdle Quadri Aruna beat the defending champion, Egypt’s El-Sayed Lashin (11-9, 13-15, 5-11, 11-7, 11-9, 9-11, 11-2; Dina Meshref overcame Quadri Aruna’s compatriot Olufunke Oshonaike (11-6, 13-11, 11-9, 16-14).

Earlier Defeat
Earlier at the GAC Group 2014 ITTF World Tour Nigeria Open, in the Men’s Singles event, Quadri Aruna had suffered a semi-final defeat at the hands Omar Assar (11-9, 9-11, 12-10, 11-5, 11-9), a similar fate was to befall El-Sayed Lashin in the final. Likewise, he was to experience a five games reverse one round later (11-5,13-11,2-11,11-6,11-cool.

At the ITTF-Africa Cup, Quadri Aruna totally reversed the decision against Omar Assar.

Surprise Win
After recording a quarter-final win against Togo’s Mawussi Agbetoglo; he extracted revenge for his earlier defeat by beating the Egyptian, arguably the favourite for the title, in a shock six games win (11-7, 11-8, 10-12, 5-11, 11-7, 11-cool.

"I played very well today because most of my matches with him have always been very close”, said a delighted Quadri Aruna after beating Omar Assar. “I did not make the same mistakes I made at the World Tour tournament; I made sure I played short whenever possible; this victory meant a lot to me and it is the beginning of a new era in my career because it will surely improve my ranking."

Exit Nigerian Hero
Success for Nigeria in one semi-final; in the other it was defeat. El-Sayed, after overcoming Ghana’s Derek Abrefa (11-8, 11-8, 11-6, 12-10) ended the progress of former African Cup winner, Segun Toriola (8-11, 11-6, 11-9, 11-5, 11-7).

Similar Situation
Revenge for Quadri Aruna; it was very much the same for Dina Meshref.

At the GAC Group 2014 ITTF World Tour Nigeria Open, she been beaten by Nadeen El-Dawlatly in the Under 21 Women’s Singles final (13-11, 4-11, 11-7, 11-13, 5-11, 11-5, 11-9) and in the Women’s Singles semi-finals (8-11, 7-11,11-5,11-8,11-7,11-9).

Two defeats for Dina Meshref at the hands of her colleague, it was not to be three; at the semi-final stage of proceedings at the ITTF-Africa Cup, she overcame Nadine El-Dawlatly five games (12-10, 12-14, 11-7, 11-7, 11-9).

One round earlier Dina Meshref had beaten Ghana’s Celia Baah-Danso (11-4, 11-6, 11-4, 11-3); Nadine El-Dawlatly had overcome Congo Brazzaville’s Onyinyechi Nwachukwu (11-7, 11-1, 8-11, 5-11, 11-7).

Defending Champion Departs
Defeat for the most successful player at the GAC Group 2014 ITTF World Tour Nigeria Open.

In the opposite half of the draw it was defeat for the defending champion.

After overcoming South Africa’s Zodwa Maphanga (11-5, 11-6, 11-4, 11-7), Olufunke Oshonaike accounted for Congo Brazzaville’s Han Xing, the favourite for gold being the top seed, by the very narrowest of margins in a full distance encounter (6-11, 11-8, 12-10, 8-11, 6-11, 11-9, 11-9).

Repeat Performance
A surprise win against Han Xing but she could not repeat the form against Dina Meshref who repeated her success over Olufunke Oshonaike; the two had met in the quarter-finals of the Women’s Singles event at the GAC Group 2014 ITTF World Tour Nigeria Open; on that occasion Dina Meshref had won in four straight games (11-5, 11-9, 11-5, 11-3).

At the ITTF-Africa Cup, she repeated the dose.

"It was not an easy match but I am so happy winning”, said Dina Meshref. “I am excited to represent Africa at the World Cup and I hope I can win a medal there."

Qualify for World Cup Tournaments
Quadri Aruna and Dina Meshref qualify for the respective Men’s and Women’s World Cup tournaments to be held later this year in October.
Re: There Are Actually Other Sports Than Football by gustav25: 8:33am On Jun 30, 2014
why don't u go and engage in one and let me see if you will go long
Re: There Are Actually Other Sports Than Football by ogonogo: 9:51pm On Jun 30, 2014
Gustav....wetin you dey yang?

(1) (Reply)

Shaw Deal Too Expensive - Mourinho / Nigerian Table Tennis Player Celebrates Bronze Medal By Pulling Down Shorts / CAF: Seychelles Forfeit Tie Against Sierra Leone Over Ebola Fears

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.