Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,603 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:39 PM

Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming (19796 Views)

Are Mini Laptops Good For Programming? / Whats The Best Laptop For Programming? / Best Operating System For Programming! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Cousin9999: 10:41pm On Dec 09, 2021
You can charge a laptop or tablet with pedal, wind, and solar. Tablets are powerful enough that you can do real coding.

And remember that the best development tool is this:

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by tradepunter: 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2021
I use titos mainframe....

It's not a laptop neither is it a desktop... It's a soviet era counting machine that ave been upgraded to be compatible with more day computers.

I got the laptop when I was stationed in moscow.... It was like a parting gift of job well done....

Long live mother Russia

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by FEGEITOK: 12:59am On Dec 10, 2021
asalimpo:
^^
10x . I'm looking@ other factors also. Durability (2-3+ years ) , ruggedness. Anything less is not compelling to me.
Keyboard wearg away too soon,
screen being un readable or blotched after sometime just means i bought a fancy toy.
But i hav no xperience with lappies for programming doe.

I use Lenovos.

I am so happy with the one I have been using for over 5 years that I have ordered a newer model.

I have used Toshibas and HPs before but none of both have lasted this long without issues.

The Toshiba died due to a motherboard fault.

In a couple of weeks, my brother who bought the exact same laptop with me had the same issue. It is like they were built to expire after some time.

The only major issue with my Lenovo is a noisy fan, which is a recent development, I have already ordered a new fan and it's on its way to me.

The other issue is the batteries have now degraded so I bought a newer laptop and a number of fresh batteries for the pre-existing one.

That's not to say that there aren't other good brands.

But there is a reason why Lenovos are so common in corporate environments.

My Lenovo can run almost 24 hours on its batteries. Thank of the value of that in our clime with power outage issues.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by greenglow: 2:34am On Dec 10, 2021
FEGEITOK:

I use Lenovos.

I am so happy with the one I have been using for over 5 years that I have ordered a newer model.

I have used Toshibas and HPs before but none of both have lasted this long without issues.

The Toshiba died due to a motherboard fault.

In a couple of weeks, my brother who bought the exact same laptop with me had the same issue. It is like they were built to expire after some time.

The only major issue with my Lenovo is a noisy fan, which is a recent development, I have already ordered a new fan and it's on its way to me.

The other issue is the batteries have now degraded so I bought a newer laptop and a number of fresh batteries for the pre-existing one.

That's not to say that there aren't other good brands.

But there is a reason why Lenovos are so common in corporate environments.

My Lenovo can run almost 24 hours on its batteries. Thank of the value of that in our clime with power outage issues.

Deep freezer for sale
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Realboygenius(m): 2:38am On Dec 10, 2021
Get yourself a decent laptop meanwhile take advantage of this amazing opportunity you buy Nescafe 3 in 1 sachets, submit 8 sachets at any of their redemption centres. You stand a chance to win up to 200,000 cash prizes and airtime.

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by mruwaifo(m): 7:06am On Dec 10, 2021
This is the type of dumb question that wanna be programmers will be asking till they realise programming is just not for them .
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by ThatFairGuy: 8:03am On Dec 10, 2021
But the poster has been away since 2019.

What would you say about that angry
Houseofglam7:
A post from 2014 made front page?

Moral of the story: Don’t give up!!!
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Lordbinsmar: 8:53am On Dec 10, 2021
TheGift:

There is cloud technology. With enough cloud storage and processing feed, is there much of a difference, if any, between laptop and desktop?

Cloud technology is not free. You have to pay for the service depending on how large your computational work is.

Also internet service is required for cloud computing.

I don't know for programmers, when it comes to engineering simulations cloud technology is not feasible in a developing country like Nigeria with high internet service charges.

I prefer to have my own work station.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Houseofglam7(f): 9:22am On Dec 10, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
But the poster has been away since 2019.

What would you say about that angry

Sherlock Holmes, drink water and rest cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by tofolo(m): 10:24am On Dec 10, 2021
Djtm:

wow! 1hr 40mins after four years? Thats cool. My dell's down to 50mins after 2+ years. Apart from that everything else is perfect. Keyboard is clear (No sign of excessive usage), mousepad looks new (I've never used an external mouse), body's still neat (there are 2 scratches on the cover as a result of my carelessness). Folks still ask me "Have you changed your laptop?". Many find it difficult to believe its the same laptop I've had for 2 years (and use almost 24hrs everyday). Apart from the deteriorating battery life (an average laptop battery lasts 2-3 years, yours is probably an exception), everything else is cool.
Mine is a Toshiba, i have had it now for 9yrs only issue is the battery which last only for 45mins and note i didnt buy it new sef.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by E2000: 10:52am On Dec 10, 2021
asalimpo:
Which is berra for programming. Laptop or desktop. Serious programming. Is it advisable to buy a laptop (when you just hobbysizing with d programming thingi). Wats d duration of a laptop under typical usage
It depends Desktop are usually more powerful compared to a laptop with similar specs Because similar parts on the laptop are designed to consume far less power compared to there desktop counterparts designed to take in more power and produce better performance.
So unless the laptop you are talking about is of the higher ranks then a desktop is your best option but if the laptop is a powerful one depending on the programming you are taking about then go for the laptop.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Hallabee1(m): 11:17am On Dec 10, 2021
Aje.....

somrtime i dont really know how to answer some questions....

talking about laptop...is moveable

talking about desktop, not moveable.... but they perform the same fuction....

depend on what you need them for...LOBATAN
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by TheGift: 11:45am On Dec 10, 2021
Lordbinsmar:

Cloud technology is not free. You have to pay for the service depending on how large your computational work is.

Also internet service is required for cloud computing.

I don't know for programmers, when it comes to engineering simulations cloud technology is not feasible in a developing country like Nigeria with high internet service charges.

I prefer to have my own work station.

Buying physical storage or hardware can be expensive. Cloud storage is cheaper per GB than using external drives.

Cloud is also generally more secure from virus attacks and loss.

If you’re speaking of your internet costs, that is another issue.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Ganbite: 11:59am On Dec 10, 2021
asalimpo:
Which is berra for programming. Laptop or desktop. Serious programming. Is it advisable to buy a laptop (when you just hobbysizing with d programming thingi). Wats d duration of a laptop under typical usage

Both are better depending the one u re familiar with
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Lordbinsmar: 12:09pm On Dec 10, 2021
TheGift:

Buying physical storage or hardware can be expensive. Cloud storage is cheaper per GB than using external drives.

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Cloud storage can also be prone to cyber attack, poor internet
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by TheGift: 12:14pm On Dec 10, 2021
Lordbinsmar:

They both have advantages and disadvantages.

Cloud storage can also be prone to cyber attack, poor internet

Yes. That’s why a hybrid of both is usually recommended.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Nobody: 12:21pm On Dec 10, 2021
The only advantage laptops have is portability, desktops are actually better, more rugged , faster and upgradable.

Their HDDS are also more sturdy and last longer, laptop HDDs even the SSDs versions are problem prone.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 10, 2021
TheGift:

Cloud may be cheaper but its not secure, its a service that can be withdrawn anytime without your consent.
Just like youtube no longer allows video downloads on their sites again.
Despise the free stuff, own your stuff.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Lordbinsmar: 12:26pm On Dec 10, 2021
TheGift:

Yes. That’s why a hybrid of both is usually recommended.

Thanks boss

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by TheGift: 2:42pm On Dec 10, 2021
quentin06:

Cloud may be cheaper but its not secure, its a service that can be withdrawn anytime without your consent.
Just like youtube no longer allows video downloads on their sites again.
Despise the free stuff, own your stuff.

If you meant to say “DespiTe the free stuff… then I totally agree.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Nobody: 5:00pm On Dec 10, 2021
TheGift:

If you meant to say “DespiTe the free stuff… then I totally agree.

What you call free is not really free , there is a price you pay that you re not aware of.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by kobosmart(m): 6:42pm On Dec 10, 2021
ReeLoaDead:
enough to laugh at a hungry boy called kobo grin
Hem hem hem
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by KennethEnyi(m): 6:52pm On Dec 10, 2021
2019 MacBook Pro
You cannot afford it get the 2016
You cannot afford that you’re not destined for success in life take it like that
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by TheGift: 8:24pm On Dec 10, 2021
quentin06:

What you call free is not really free , there is a price you pay that you re not aware of.

Some of it is actually free bro. It’s a penetration strategy. Some people will go beyond free to fee based on added value and features.

Personally I offer freebies and use freemium as a business strategy and it works.

What is true is that someone is always paying for it, even if it’s free for you. Some of us just see it as marketing costs.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by ReeLoaDead(m): 9:33pm On Dec 10, 2021
kobosmart:

Hem hem hem
all good bro, have a good weekend.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by kobosmart(m): 7:58am On Dec 11, 2021
ReeLoaDead:
all good bro, have a good weekend.
Ya welcome, twas a really bad joke buh I had to be supportive, good weekend to u too
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 13, 2021
TheGift:

Some of it is actually free bro. It’s a penetration strategy. Some people will go beyond free to fee based on added value and features.

Personally I offer freebies and use freemium as a business strategy and it works.

What is true is that someone is always paying for it, even if it’s free for you. Some of us just see it as marketing costs.

Some one is always paying for it, you said.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by TheGift: 1:01pm On Dec 13, 2021
quentin06:

Some one is always paying for it, you said.

Yes. But it’s free or almost free to the user.

Sometimes they charge the top 20 percent to pay for the bottom 20% for example.
Re: Which Is Better : Laptop Or Desktop For Programming by idmicheal20: 4:27pm On Dec 14, 2021
Good afternoon please, can I use Lenovo core i5,320,4gbram to learn data analysis

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Few Questions About Aptech Computer Institute??? / Python Vs Java / Let's Stop Talking About Password Strength

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.