Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,779 members, 7,817,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

Common Phrases Invented By Shakespeare By Lee Jamieson - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Common Phrases Invented By Shakespeare By Lee Jamieson (605 Views)

Romeo And Juliet By Shakespeare (read Full Story Here) / 8 Shakespeare Facts You Didn't Know By Lee Jamieson / Common Phrases Invented By Shakespeare By Lee Jamieson (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Common Phrases Invented By Shakespeare By Lee Jamieson by TRWConsult(m): 12:39pm On Jun 30, 2014
Shakespeare has had a huge influence on the English language. Some people today reading Shakespeare for the first time complain that the language is difficult to read and understand, yet we are still using hundreds of words and phrases coined by him in our everyday conversation.
Phrases Coined by Shakespeare

You have probably quoted Shakespeare thousands of times without realizing it. If your homework gets you “in a pickle”, your friends have you “in stitches”, or your guests “eat you out of house and home”, then you’re quoting Shakespeare.

Here are some of the most popular Shakespeare phrases in common use today:
• A laughing stock (The Merry Wives of Windsor)
• A sorry sight (Macbeth)
• As dead as a doornail (Henry VI)
• Eaten out of house and home (Henry V, Part 2)
• Fair play (The Tempest)
• I will wear my heart upon my sleeve (Othello)
• In a pickle (The Tempest)
• In stitches (Twelfth Night)
• In the twinkling of an eye (The Merchant Of Venice)
• Mum's the word (Henry VI, Part 2)
• Neither here nor there (Othello)
• Send him packing (Henry IV)
• Set your teeth on edge (Henry IV)
• There's method in my madness (Hamlet)
• Too much of a good thing (As You Like It)
• Vanish into thin air (Othello)

(1) (Reply)

Half Of A Yellow Sun Debuts In Cinemas Today - Generate #280m / A Tribute To Kevin Durant / Listening From The End

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.