Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,712 members, 7,824,021 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 (19177 Views)

Programming Challenge For Beginners Competition Two N20000 -SEASON 2- / Facebook Programming Challenge Question / Mini Web Application Coding Challenge For Programmers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by blueyedgeek(m): 7:14pm On Jul 14, 2014
sisqology: Hello all. The new competition will be out tomorrow.
Today is tomorrow as prophesied

1 Like

Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 9:43pm On Jul 14, 2014
blueyedgeek: Today is tomorrow as prophesied

una dey para ooo
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by blueyedgeek(m): 10:03pm On Jul 14, 2014
sisqology:

una dey para ooo
No be so o, una know say this thread no dey stickied again and some people just dey create thread on a per second basis. I no want make dis one loss
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by zicjoe(m): 10:27pm On Jul 14, 2014
Jus dy check dis thread since morning. Oga sisquology where u at? 2 hrs b4 2day go end o. We dy wait o
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by davidsmith8900: 1:39pm On Jul 15, 2014
I understand that u suppose 2 crawl b4 we walk n walk b4 running, but I think its time we stepped up our game. Im totally down with this, I just think that at the end of the day the main point of these challenges, competitions and study groups is to learn and practice right? So why not learn by making a real app that can help our society and give us money. Like experience is the best teacher. What if we did these challenges, competitions and study groups in order to make a real app like:

a. An app that can predict when NEPA will turn the light off or bring it on
b. An app that can predict what Naija streets will have the most traffic, the best route to take and where to go from there
c. An app that can predict where next crime or violence or Boko Haram attacks will be.

Or how do u feel?

Like lets team up to build apps that not only will add value to our society, but will also give us money and recognition.

We could also make a Facebook or Twitter or Google clone and then try to sell it. Pata pata, people will say they are not interested, but either way, we would have learn something. Or how does everyone feel?
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jul 15, 2014
davidsmith8900: I understand that u suppose 2 crawl b4 we walk n walk b4 running, but I think its time we stepped up our game. Im totally down with this, I just think that at the end of the day the main point of these challenges, competitions and study groups is to learn and practice right? So why not learn by making a real app that can help our society and give us money. Like experience is the best teacher. What if we did these challenges, competitions and study groups in order to make a real app like:

a. An app that can predict when NEPA will turn the light off or bring it on
b. An app that can predict what Naija streets will have the most traffic, the best route to take and where to go from there
c. An app that can predict where next crime or violence or Boko Haram attacks will be.

Or how do u feel?

Like lets team up to build apps that not only will add value to our society, but will also give us money and recognition.

We could also make a Facebook or Twitter or Google clone and then try to sell it. Pata pata, people will say they are not interested, but either way, we would have learn something. Or how does everyone feel?

(1). Good Ideas, but we can't keep Guessing like Gamblers.
(2). Lets see your Port-folio.
(3). So you don't even pray for Peace in our 9ja
(4). I'm very Sorry if i sound RUDE.

i rest my case

2 Likes

Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by davidsmith8900: 5:58pm On Jul 15, 2014
engrjidex:

(1). Good Ideas, but we can't keep Guessing like Gamblers.
(2). Lets see your Port-folio.

(3). So you don't even pray for Peace in our 9ja

**I'm sorry if i sound RUDE o.**
i rest my case

No, u don't sound rude. Pretty on point.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 6:04pm On Jul 15, 2014
davidsmith8900:

No, u don't sound rude. Pretty on point.
/*
okay Sir/Ma.

What are the (petty) apps you've Designed?
Start something Today and let people follow you. (Be a PathFinder)

I'm very Sorry if i sound RUDE again o.

*B3 Low*
*/
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Dlastofmykind(m): 8:44am On Jul 16, 2014
@sisqology, spikesC and other bosses..... When is the next challenge be out coz we've been anxiously waiting since monday and our leg dey pain us.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by dhtml(m): 8:49am On Jul 16, 2014
Dlastofmykind: @sisqology, spikesC and other bosses..... When is the next challenge be out coz we've been anxiously waiting since monday and our leg dey pain us.
I dont have an inkling. . . .i was merely a judge and a supporter (but not the originator).
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 10:11am On Jul 16, 2014
Erm... My system crashed! Lost all I had. sad sad sad
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by spikesC(m): 11:05am On Jul 16, 2014
sisqology: Erm... My system crashed! Lost all I had. sad sad sad

seun the second. you no get second partition for your laptop where you save important files
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by blueyedgeek(m): 11:10am On Jul 16, 2014
sisqology: Erm... My system crashed! Lost all I had. sad sad sad
For real? And I was here thinking you had lost interest with continuing the challenge and I'm sorry for that. I'm also sorry your system crashed, how did it happen?
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Seun(m): 11:11am On Jul 16, 2014
spikesC: seun the second. you no get second partition for your laptop where you save important files
If the disk crashes you will lose all the data on that disk even if it's on the second partition. Use DVD-ROM drives, flash or external HDD.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by dhtml(m): 11:24am On Jul 16, 2014
Sorry bro, I wish you quick recovery.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by InesQor(m): 11:36am On Jul 16, 2014
Seun:
If the disk crashes you will lose all the data on that disk even if it's on the second partition. Use DVD-ROM drives, flash or external HDD.

No mean of storage is totally safe. Even optical drives and magnetic disks have failure points. SSD is a bit better though.

And if you keep files in a cabinet na fire or rat or cockroach you go fear cheesy
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by spikesC(m): 12:06pm On Jul 16, 2014
InesQor:

No mean of storage is totally safe. Even optical drives and magnetic disks have failure points. SSD is a bit better though.

And if you keep files in a cabinet na fire or rat or cockroach you go fear cheesy

Online multiple site backup (i.e AWS, google drive etc.)
And it's very cheap
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by InesQor(m): 12:29pm On Jul 16, 2014
spikesC:

Online multiple site backup (i.e AWS, google drive etc.)
And it's very cheap

Good point. But it's not like Amazon or Google or any other cloud storage service is totally inviolable either.

I know someone (who knows someone grin) that steals files from people's Amazon lockers and releases them on pirat'ebay and blac'khat forums.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jul 16, 2014
InesQor:

Good point. But it's not like Amazon or Google or any other cloud storage service is totally inviolable either.

I know someone (who knows someone grin) that steals files from people's Amazon lockers and releases them on pirat'ebay and blac'khat forums.

I think I need to know this "someone"
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by InesQor(m): 12:45pm On Jul 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

I think I need to know this "someone"
LOL! Nairaland rule 9.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 12:47pm On Jul 16, 2014
InesQor:
LOL! Nairaland rule 9.

Hahaha I don't know what you're implying!
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by spikesC(m): 12:51pm On Jul 16, 2014
InesQor:

That is for public buckets.
Backups cannot be stolen because you don't even know it's there

1 Like

Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by InesQor(m): 12:56pm On Jul 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Hahaha I don't know what you're implying!

Lol! It's someone I know from an underground Russian site.

Rule 9::
9. Don't use Nairaland for illegal acts, e.g fraud, piracy, and spreading malware.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by InesQor(m): 12:59pm On Jul 16, 2014
spikesC:

That is for public buckets.
Backups cannot be stolen because you don't even know it's there
You're right. Backups cannot be "targeted". However they can be stolen if someone randomly scrubs Amazon for private buckets, never knowing what they might find.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by spikesC(m): 1:06pm On Jul 16, 2014
InesQor:
You're right. Backups cannot be "targeted". However they can be stolen if someone randomly scrubs Amazon for private buckets, never knowing what they might find.

You cannot randomly scrub Amazon. Not even for public buckets.
You have to have a target.
To get a target, you need a link to a file in that bucket, decipher the link and do your magic.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by InesQor(m): 1:48pm On Jul 16, 2014
You obviously have not heard of tools such as Robin Wood's S3 bucket finder tool and other such scripts used for brute force hacking S3 buckets. You can google that.

Amazon S3 bucket URLs are rather predictable and can be scrubbed using dictionary attacks, sorry. No, you dont need a link to any file. You just cant tell what you will find.

You're only more safe if you ensure you configure your buckets with proper permissions. But then, apparently many people do not.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 16, 2014
InesQor:

Lol! It's someone I know from an underground Russian site.

Rule 9::
9. Don't use Nairaland for illegal acts, e.g fraud, piracy, and spreading malware.

Sorry dear, sometimes tone is hard to convey over the Internet

I was being coy

I knew very well what you meant
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by InesQor(m): 2:59pm On Jul 16, 2014
MissMeiya:

Sorry dear, sometimes tone is hard to convey over the Internet

I was being coy

I knew very well what you meant

LOL! *facepalm* With you I should have known better. Okay dear.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by Nobody: 3:03pm On Jul 16, 2014
InesQor:

LOL! *facepalm* With you I should have known better. Okay dear.

grin
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 10:09pm On Jul 16, 2014
spikesC:

seun the second. you no get second partition for your laptop where you save important files

lols, my backups were limited! Not my ongoing projects, I have to start them all over.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 10:11pm On Jul 16, 2014
blueyedgeek: For real? And I was here thinking you had lost interest with continuing the challenge and I'm sorry for that. I'm also sorry your system crashed, how did it happen?

Thanks. Long story though. We are back on track now.
Re: Programming Challenge For Beginners N20000 by sisqology(m): 10:52pm On Jul 16, 2014
[size=14pt]Competition Two[/size]

Design

Required Language(s): HTML4/HTML5, CSS2/CSS3, JavaScript

Design a 3 paged website(Home, Gallery, Contact).

This time, the home is going to have a full width slider(having navigation buttons is a bonus), about us(short jargons) or a short welcome jargons should be after your slider; also find a space for a login form for email and password, the form submits to no where. You can put the form in a sidebar/aside(HTML5). Show your services on the homepage as well by using a nice unordered or ordered list(vertically or horizontally); I expect you to lay this out nicely and stylishly. Find a space for "Our Team" also by putting a short note about how your team work to make a project successful. Embed any random youtube video on your homepage as well and finally, show your "latest tweets"(from your twitter account) somewhere.

Gallery Page
Show different or same pictures(because of project size)(Nice quality pictures), let them float beside eachother. You can make it about 12 tiles or above, on hovering/clicking on a pic, it should be enlarged. Nothing else should be on this page

Contact page
Show firstname, lastname, email, address forms and provide a "department" option with some variety of options, you may use a radio button or dropdown for the departments. The form submits to nowhere. Remember your validations. Finally, embed google map of your location. This will also serve as a correction for the people that did not do that in competition 1.

Rules

1. Use a fixed layout. 980px wide
2. Make users aware of the page they are
3. Do not put the site nav at the footer unless if your page is long.
4. Your color combo should not be more than 3 asides neutral colors.
5. Your repository name this time should be "nairaland contest 2"
6. Document your readme properly, teach a dummy like me how to run your project. You may assume I don't know how to run it at all.

Grading Stats:

Code Neatness: 15%
Naming Convetions: 15%
Code Indentation Consistency: 15%
Rules Adhering: 15%
Official Rules(by language) Adhering: 10%
Project Features: 10%
Extra features as mentioned in competition: 5%
Unbroken Code and Links: 10%
Successful Check in with good readme: 5%

First Person to do the last check in: 10% (we add this to you total achieved point)
Second Person to do the last check in: 5% (we add this to you total achieved point)

Kindly sign in here if you want to give this a go; !

Like this;

Name: John Doe
Sex: Male
Language(s): English, Mathematics

Cheers

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Why People Always Think Those That Make Use Of Laptop Are Into Fraud? / Interested In Teaching Yourself Programming? file on link / Pros And Cons Of Dating A Programmer Or Just A Geek

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.