Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,502 members, 7,770,259 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 08:16 AM

VFX Is A Must In Nollywood - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / VFX Is A Must In Nollywood (2335 Views)

Mike Ezuruonye Speaks Chinese In Nollywood Movie / Amazing Before-and-after VFX Shots From Your Favorite Movies / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Orikinla(m): 12:56pm On Jul 01, 2014
Visual effects (commonly shortened to Visual FX or VFX) are a must in Nollywood says Geoffrey Gania, 2013 AMAA prize winner for Best Achievement in Visual Effects.

We must recognize that if our films most be fully accepted in the international platform and if Hollywood is the standard then all aspects of the 21st century filmmaking that make Hollywood what it is must come onto the central stage of every production right from the script. The reluctance of Nollywood practitioners in accepting VFX is contributing to the entire industry's slow pace progress. Consider this fact; even if your story does not have a man's head chopped off or a flying antelope or whatever makes some filmmakers think VFX is not for us yet, what about color corrections, what about grading, what about the stunning graphics and the opening montages. It means that no matter what story you are telling or what camera you are using as long as it is in this digital age the art of VFX is required at one stage or the other to add value to the entire production. Nollywood practitioners have to recognize that VFX is not another genre of film, but part and parcel of every movie made in this generation. There must be that awareness and an encouragement for VFX as a relevant art form. When discussing the film industry, it's important to note that visual effects are crucial components of modern film production. As such, the development of the art needs to be included in any short or long-term plans for the advancement of the Nigerian film industry.
Visual effects are coming up gradually, but the pace is rather slow since there are no formal institutions pursuing this noble cause, and of course we know some of the artistes that take VFX jobs lack the basic training and creativity for such art, hence shabby and laughable special effects are seen here and there. However, there are quite a few well trained professionals that are already stretching the boundaries of VFX in Nollywood.

Read the first every comprehensive feature on Visual Effect and Special Effects in Nollywood movies in the second edition of NOLLYWOOD MIRROR® now selling on Amazon and other online bookstores in paperback, Amazon Kindle and eBook version.

About the Author
Geoffrey Gania is an international multiple award winning visual effects expert. After studying 3D and composition for visual effects and Digital Filmmaking in London, UK, he returned to Nigeria to be part of the filmmaking process. Upon his return to Nigeria in 2011, his first feature film "The Twin sword", an epic fantasy, received 9 nominations in the African Movie Academy Awards (AMAA 2013), including Best film. The film clinched the Best Achievement in Visual Effects. This same film went ahead to win a Golden Icon Academy Movies Award (Giama 2013 in Houston Texas,) a ZAFAA in London, UK and a Best of Nollywood (BON Awards) not to mention other various nominations. He has so far made other films and has been involved in various levels of film productions, especially as the visual effects director/compositor. He has just concluded VFX work on the African bit of the international collection, the ABCs of Death, and is currently working on the final stage of Lancelot 'The Guv' Imasuen's film “Invasion 1897” and he says: "The work that I am doing on this film (Invasion 1897) is an excellent example of visual effects being used as a discreet tool in a more traditional epic film context. This film is one of the best things that will happen to Nollywood. It is a film we are all going to be proud of.”
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Asek1(m): 1:14pm On Jul 01, 2014
The craze to make fast money has blinded most of our producers to the realities of thorough film making. So sad. Its the very thing that makes me cringe when I c a home video before me. I can't watch it.

2 Likes

Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Nobody: 8:45pm On Jul 01, 2014
I'll give him 25/100 for the VFX in twin swords, but the way the guy talks you'll think he's a badoo in VFX. I know peeps will say he tried but NW don pass management as in 'I try' matter, Eric aghimien won this years achievement VFX, I think eric's is better, I've not seen A mile from home yet so I won't talk further.

1 Like

Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 10:15pm On Jul 01, 2014
I really have no idea what is wrong with my eyes because the bulk of what we see being praised in Nollywood is simply atrocious. I’m really surprised to read this thread and find out it is about ‘Twin Sword’… Yes, two yrs ago when the trailer was posted it was very poor then and is still very, very poor today.
https://www.nairaland.com/1099666/twin-swordan-epic-fantasy-film#12918468

I will be the very first to say that Nollywood does NOT need VFX. And PLEASE – colour correction and grading is NOT considered VFX. First of all let’s cut out the bullshit and stop praising mediocrity… a one-day graphics course in London is not something to be proud about. I say that because not in a million years did this so-called VFX artist guy study anywhere reputable or at least not for more a one-week course. VFX takes many, many, many years to learn and if this guy actually DID study for years then he’s even worse that I initially thought. I’m not going to hold any punches back because his level of work is what even secondary school children here in the UK or US will be so ashamed of. Jokes apart; where is that thread mentioning how many $16m dollars was spent on... was it 'Invasion 1897' that from the same VFX guy has just as poor VFX?

Yet a whole film industry is hailing this sub of sub standard work… we Nigerians are just plain ridiculous end of.
Maybe it was the ONLY film submitted that had any inkling of supposed VFX for AMAA to actually give it an award.
Who are the people saying ‘Hollywood standard’? Are they all blind, deaf and dumb? Haba, we can’t be this lost. Sorry I’m ranting about this because this level is more serious than K-leg. As I have mentioned the hard truth in numerous threads – we are lazy. Just the other day some Naija guy flew a quadcopter for an hour then declared he is now a ‘professional’ (not from NL). This kind of 'dangerous' laziness is what will kill us.

Anyway, this is what teens in the West do for fun on their laptops.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhsxDn-cbk

4 Likes

Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Bawss1(m): 8:06am On Jul 02, 2014
TKO from VillageBoi grin
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by prof800(m): 12:07pm On Jul 02, 2014
Okay, I agree with asek1, tony ayo, and VillageBoi on this.
But I also agree with Geoffrey Gania where he said; "Nollywood practitioners have to recognize that VFX is not another genre of film..."
For those who understand.
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Orikinla(m): 5:45pm On Jul 02, 2014
tony ayo: I'll give him 25/100 for the VFX in twin swords, but the way the guy talks you'll think he's a badoo in VFX. I know peeps will say he tried but NW don pass management as in 'I try' matter, Eric aghimien won this years achievement VFX, I think eric's is better, I've not seen A mile from home yet so I won't talk further.
Gania is good.
It depends on the script given to him.
His work in "Invasion 1897" is impressive.
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Orikinla(m): 5:49pm On Jul 02, 2014
VillageBoi: I really have no idea what is wrong with my eyes because the bulk of what we see being praised in Nollywood is simply atrocious. I’m really surprised to read this thread and find out it is about ‘Twin Sword’… Yes, two yrs ago when the trailer was posted it was very poor then and is still very, very poor today.

I will be the very first to say that Nollywood does NOT need VFX. And PLEASE – colour correction and grading is NOT considered VFX. First of all let’s cut out the bullshit and stop praising mediocrity… a one-day graphics course in London is not something to be proud about. I say that because not in a million years did this so-called VFX artist guy study anywhere reputable or at least not for more a one-week course. VFX takes many, many, many years to learn and if this guy actually DID study for years then he’s even worse that I initially thought. I’m not going to hold any punches back because his level of work is what even secondary school children here in the UK or US will be so ashamed of. Jokes apart; where is that thread mentioning how many $16m dollars was spent on... was it 'Invasion 1897' that from the same VFX guy has just as poor VFX?

Yet a whole film industry is hailing this sub of sub standard work… we Nigerians are just plain ridiculous end of.
Maybe it was the ONLY film submitted that had any inkling of supposed VFX for AMAA to actually give it an award.
Who are the people saying ‘Hollywood standard’? Are they all blind, deaf and dumb? Haba, we can’t be this lost. Sorry I’m ranting about this because this level is more serious than K-leg. As I have mentioned the hard truth in numerous threads – we are lazy. Just the other day some Naija guy flew a quadcopter for an hour then declared he is now a ‘professional’ (not from NL). This kind of 'dangerous' laziness is what will kill us.

One swallow does not make a summer.
Since The Twin Sword he has done some fantastic visual effects, especially in The ABCs of Death which is an international work by selected directors.
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Henuvia1: 5:54pm On Jul 02, 2014
Dum
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 8:44am On Jul 03, 2014
Orikinla:
Gania is good.
It depends on the script given to him.
His work in "Invasion 1897" is impressive.

Hmmmmm I kinda disagree with that. No he isn't that good but hey, he is what Nigerian producers are willing to pay for. What they really should be doing is paying actual professionals until our people that are 'learning' finally master VFX. And if we can't do that then we have no business with VFX in films. Simple truth. We are not talking about 'student projects' here, we're on the page of 'commercial' feature films. Do something well or don't do it at all. I blame our cheap producers for not researching where to get GREAT VFX and for their "we go manage am" attitude. Call a spade a spade!

I don't understand the bit "It depends on the script given to him"
His work on 'Invasion 1897' is not impressive... as mentioned before there was a thread about that but I can't find it anymore. (since the cyber attack on NL I believe a lot of posts and threads might still be missing)
This is the trailer again. I might be missing something because it still looks like a case of our usual "Let's praise the mediocre" - I know we overuse that word now. There are no ifs or buts - the VFX is very poor.

Invasion 1897 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YljETHmfD34

Orikinla:
Since The Twin Sword he has done some fantastic visual effects, especially in The ABCs of Death which is an international work by selected directors.
Errrrmmmm well exactly which 'episode'? The compilation had 26 directors, 26 very different short films... what's the title of the exact one he worked on and in what capacity? Let's see the evidence!

The simple thing I'm saying is... yes he's trying, he's learning but I completely disagree with Nollywood proclaiming him the best thing since sliced bread. You know there are a million and one backwater film festivals in the 'west' that give out token awards to whatever they can source from what they call the 'African bush'?

Do I believe that there are Nigerian VFX artists that can produce good work? Absolutely! Should there be? Absolutely! But we really have to stop fooling ourselves and pretending that sub-standard work is the best thing on the planet. And for those of you that think I'm being harsh... well yes I am. And if you don't like it then tough sh*t. I don't hide behind anything and I'm just as harsh about my own films and my own work too. I rip my own stuff to shreds as well. And for even BIG name directors if they make something bad I'll say it is bad... go thru my posts/threads you will find the evidence, I say it as it is.

The excuses we make have got to stop.

1 Like

Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Nobody: 9:53am On Jul 03, 2014
@ VillageBoi. I don't know whether you've seen TWIN SWORDS you'll understand that I even tried in rating him 25/100, the guy no try at all as per NW level, this is NW for crying out loud, I believe we all saw Genetos's THE DAY THEY CAME sci fi Short, that was way better than TWIN SWORDS. NW should pause the shoot of such sci fi movies and focus on pure action like A MILE FROM HOME - IMO, music industry are way more better in VFX e.g PIXEL CHAOS owned by a music director named mex factor. Na so dem take hype LAST FLIGHT TO ABUJA in VFX, but na dat same VFX come killed the 'feel' of the movie.
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by prof800(m): 11:20am On Jul 03, 2014
Henuvia1: Dum
What do you mean?
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 12:48pm On Jul 03, 2014
tony ayo: @ VillageBoi. I don't know whether you've seen TWIN SWORDS you'll understand that I even tried in rating him 25/100, the guy no try at all as per NW level, this is NW for crying out loud, I believe we all saw Genetos's THE DAY THEY CAME sci fi Short, that was way better than TWIN SWORDS. NW should pause the shoot of such sci fi movies and focus on pure action like A MILE FROM HOME - IMO, music industry are way more better in VFX e.g PIXEL CHAOS owned by a music director named mex factor. Na so dem take hype LAST FLIGHT TO ABUJA in VFX, but na dat same VFX come killed the 'feel' of the movie.
Gbam!

Genetos is light years ahead of this guy (from what we have all actually SEEN). Even the guy that did bullet holes on a moving shot (need to dig up some threads) is better than this... for real we need to stop hyping nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Ignatio(m): 8:24am On Jul 04, 2014
The guy got hype like he can do amazing Spiderman vfx.
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by candiva2013(m): 3:16pm On Jul 06, 2014
VillageBoi: I really have no idea what is wrong with my eyes because the bulk of what we see being praised in Nollywood is simply atrocious. I’m really surprised to read this thread and find out it is about ‘Twin Sword’… Yes, two yrs ago when the trailer was posted it was very poor then and is still very, very poor today.

do u knw of any place ( online or offline) where one can learn VFX?
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 4:09pm On Jul 06, 2014
candiva2013: do u knw of any place ( online or offline) where one can learn VFX?
Have you looked? You do realise that such information is so easy to find? - you can start at 'Video Copilot'
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by candiva2013(m): 4:22pm On Jul 06, 2014
VillageBoi:
Have you looked? You do realise that such information is so easy to find? - you can start at 'Video Copilot'
Thanks
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Orikinla(m): 4:53pm On Jul 06, 2014
VillageBoi:

Hmmmmm I kinda disagree with that. No he isn't that good but hey, he is what Nigerian producers are willing to pay for. What they really should be doing is paying actual professionals until our people that are 'learning' finally master VFX. And if we can't do that then we have no business with VFX in films. Simple truth. We are not talking about 'student projects' here, we're on the page of 'commercial' feature films. Do something well or don't do it at all. I blame our cheap producers for not researching where to get GREAT VFX and for their "we go manage am" attitude. Call a spade a spade!

I don't understand the bit "It depends on the script given to him"
His work on 'Invasion 1897' is not impressive... as mentioned before there was a thread about that but I can't find it anymore. (since the cyber attack on NL I believe a lot of posts and threads might still be missing)
This is the trailer again. I might be missing something because it still looks like a case of our usual "Let's praise the mediocre" - I know we overuse that word now. There are no ifs or buts - the VFX is very poor.

Invasion 1897 Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YljETHmfD34

Errrrmmmm well exactly which 'episode'? The compilation had 26 directors, 26 very different short films... what's the title of the exact one he worked on and in what capacity? Let's see the evidence!

The simple thing I'm saying is... yes he's trying, he's learning but I completely disagree with Nollywood proclaiming him the best thing since sliced bread. You know there are a million and one backwater film festivals in the 'west' that give out token awards to whatever they can source from what they call the 'African bush'?

Do I believe that there are Nigerian VFX artists that can produce good work? Absolutely! Should there be? Absolutely! But we really have to stop fooling ourselves and pretending that sub-standard work is the best thing on the planet. And for those of you that think I'm being harsh... well yes I am. And if you don't like it then tough sh*t. I don't hide behind anything and I'm just as harsh about my own films and my own work too. I rip my own stuff to shreds as well. And for even BIG name directors if they make something bad I'll say it is bad... go thru my posts/threads you will find the evidence, I say it as it is.

The excuses we make have got to stop.

Can you give a more critical analysis and not sweeping remarks?
And can you name your own movies?
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 11:07pm On Jul 06, 2014
Orikinla:
Can you give a more critical analysis and not sweeping remarks?
A critical analysis of what exactly? Of his shown VFX work? Of the Invasion 1897 trailer? Either way a critical analysis is not at all needed for either of them. Simple fact and truth is that his VFX work does not merit the type of praise being given here nor how it is being sold to the audience.
My history here is very easy to check and no one on NL can say that I do not believe in Nollywood/Nigerian filmmaking and that I don't want the industry to succeed and go places. However, I simply do not subscribe to wrongful 'bragging rights'.
If 'A' or 'B' had said "This is what we had to work with and we wanted the production to completely consist of home-grown talents..." or something to that effect then we would be more chilled out about it knowing fully well that Nigeria and Nigerians still have a long way to go before our VFX is right up there with the best in the world.

Furthermore, I will mention again that it is unfortunate that since the cyber attack on NL many 2014 threads and posts are still not back on the site; I hope it is being worked on. The reason I've mentioned that is you did in a certain thread mention that the budget for Invasion 1897 is about $16m. I repeat again - if this (judging by the trailer) is what they can come up with for that amount of money then EVERY single person involved in the film needs to quit the industry and go back to being medical doctors or akara sellers... whatever floats their boat. I will again as mentioned in that thread give the benefit of the doubt as I believe you did say that is not the 'real' trailer and it will be posted soon. I, like a lot of others here on NL and all over the world, would be ashamed to say I had a budget of $16m and made a film (again from the trailer) as terrible looking as that.

We Nigerians simply lack humility and honesty. Can we honestly say that that is the best and baddest looking thing we have ever seen? Even from just a Nigerian comparison point it by far is not.

Orikinla: And can you name your own movies?

Of course I can, everyone knows I am an aspiring filmmaker myself - I have posted threads of my works and have never hidden anything I've done. I also know fully well that you have commented in at least one of my 'film' threads -
Orikinla: If you have good short flicks, submit them to Afrinolly.
VillageBoi: Thanks, already did.

That was from the thread with my short film 'Sweet Sixteen'
https://www.nairaland.com/866173/new-short-film

Other threads with works of mine are -
Une Clope - in which I was the DOP and film editor - https://www.nairaland.com/1105305/une-clope-short-film-nsfw
Don't Rock The Boat - An experimental tiltshift short - https://www.nairaland.com/1107900/dont-rock-boat-short-film
My Showreel - a selection of things I've done - https://www.nairaland.com/893426/video-showreel-villageboi

So I have never not shared things I've done with the hardest audience on the planet. And as mentioned earlier in this thread -
VillageBoi: Do I believe that there are Nigerian VFX artists that can produce good work? Absolutely! Should there be? Absolutely! But we really have to stop fooling ourselves and pretending that sub-standard work is the best thing on the planet. And for those of you that think I'm being harsh... well yes I am. I don't hide behind anything and I'm just as harsh about my own films and my own work too.

So sorry people this is making the post so much longer but here are a couple of quote from the 'Sweet Sixteen' thread -
VillageBoi:

Hi Enoquin,

Thank you very much for watching my short. True words... the lead male was the only person that turned up for the audition so we didn't really have a choice. I did, however, want him showing less emotion and much more from the girl as her character was saying everything as per maternal instinct (I wanted her to be so eager and him more aloofish). That's what I tried but not everything went to plan - I did want far different shots and a lot of movement when they were sitting down, unfortunately we couldn't do that as the location changed the amount of time they initially gave us. We really started thinking of scrapping the film and not shooting. The promised 8hrs each day on location turned into 2hrs on the 1st day and 3 on the 2nd - so we rushed like mad and the bulk of my time was spent on techie stuff and not much directing on the day.

Sorry to hear you exerienced glithches in the beginning. It is a possibility that it's vimeo/youtube compression.

There is something they tell you almost immediately in film - "Anything that can go wrong WILL go wrong." Such was also the case here where everyone was new and inexperienced... would you have guessed our sound guy didn't record one single bit of useable audio over the 2 days? The whole film was a complete pain in the 'behind'. Oh the joys of things going badly wrong lol. All we have to do is learn from our past mistakes and try not to make them again.

I believe it too; one just has to strive to get better. Thankfully we can learn our mistakes on short films; can you imagine making a feature film badly? Ouch!

And thank you for saying how you felt. That thruth is - that is what I actually prefer. Many people are to shy or too scared to criticize other's works but they should say what they don't like if they can be constructive too.

Lol I hope this film is the worst thing I ever make, it would totally suck to make an even crappier film hahaha. We had good intentions but dayum, it fell way below my expectations.

And part of her response -
Enoquin: @villageboi...

LMAO...what else can I say? You are a true artist...one of the rare ones that can take criticism...people say I am hard to please but I tell them...no, convince me and please me...

Now, that you say everyone was inexperienced...I can't be too hard on them...

As mentioned before I don't hide anything. When something I make goes wrong I will admit it so YES I made a film that was substandard. Even when something goes quite well I am still not the bragging type - read the comments in the Une Clope thread to find out.

My apologies, one more thing that i said in the Sweet Sixteen thread -
VillageBoi:
Hey speedyBoi my brotha, thanks for watching my short. You saying nice cinematography and good sound is a bit better than I would have said which would have been "Ok'ish cinematography that is nothing to write home about and hmmmm that sound definitely had issues." Also because I was so involved in this film I know everything that went wrong and EVERYTHING did.

I was the director and have absolutely no excuses to give - wherever this film fails the full blame lies with me... it's that simple.

The truth is there are some films we like and some that we don't. The funny thing is I almost never posted it online as I absolutely hated this complete pain-in-the-a$$-all-gone-wrong film BUT I ended up liking it a lot because of the invaluable lessons I did learn. Fingers crossed one can only get better.
Bit by bit I am prepping to make a feature, I will not want to make anything 'mediocre', I will continue to learn as much as I can.

I'm going to have to end here. Sorry if you are disappointed in me for not liking the guy's VFX but also as an audience member I can like or dislike something. We all do that or don't your remember another of your threads?
https://www.nairaland.com/1498386/prada-one-worst-nollywood-movies

I just happen to be a wannabe/aspiring filmmaker, however, the truth is the audience does not ever have to justify not liking a film. They do not have to be questioned about it either.

So I still stick by not liking his VFX as it is NOT good enough nor is it worth the hailing and hype. And in case you have not seen what Genetos can do here is a teaser. (will post it when I find it) I know you are a big man so pls hire or connect Genetos to get some of these gigs.

Genetos on a ZERO budget - https://www.nairaland.com/1429937/day-came-short-sci-fi-film

This Cyber attack on NL is really bad... if YOU see his new trailer you sef go doff hat to the guy. You can ask him yourself, I say things exactly as I see them... I ripped into one of the first clips he posted.

YESSS I found his new teaser on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZgoy5KxjWQ

I know you do support the industry and you used to like and want daring stuff. What happened to the 2006 you that I doubt would be praising mediocre stuff? - https://www.nairaland.com/22089/wants-work-nollywood

3 Likes

Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Orikinla(m): 10:53am On Jul 07, 2014
VillageBoi:
A critical analysis of what exactly? Of his shown VFX work? Of the Invasion 1897 trailer? Either way a critical analysis is not at all needed for either of them. Simple fact and truth is that his VFX work does not merit the type of praise being given here nor how it is being sold to the audience.
My history here is very easy to check and no one on NL can say that I do not believe in Nollywood/Nigerian filmmaking and that I don't want the industry to succeed and go places. However, I simply do not subscribe to wrongful 'bragging rights'.
If 'A' or 'B' had said "This is what we had to work with and we wanted the production to completely consist of home-grown talents..." or something to that effect then we would be more chilled out about it knowing fully well that Nigeria and Nigerians still have a long way to go before our VFX is right up there with the best in the world.

Furthermore, I will mention again that it is unfortunate that since the cyber attack on NL many 2014 threads and posts are still not back on the site; I hope it is being worked on. The reason I've mentioned that is you did in a certain thread mention that the budget for Invasion 1897 is about $16m. I repeat again - if this (judging by the trailer) is what they can come up with for that amount of money then EVERY single person involved in the film needs to quit the industry and go back to being medical doctors or akara sellers... whatever floats their boat. I will again as mentioned in that thread give the benefit of the doubt as I believe you did say that is not the 'real' trailer and it will be posted soon. I, like a lot of others here on NL and all over the world, would be ashamed to say I had a budget of $16m and made a film (again from the trailer) as terrible looking as that.

We Nigerians simply lack humility and honesty. Can we honestly say that that is the best and baddest looking thing we have ever seen? Even from just a Nigerian comparison point it by far is not.

Of course I can, everyone knows I am an aspiring filmmaker myself - I have posted threads of my works and have never hidden anything I've done. I also know fully well that you have commented in at least one of my 'film' threads -

That was from the thread with my short film 'Sweet Sixteen'
https://www.nairaland.com/866173/new-short-film

Other threads with works of mine are -
Une Clope - in which I was the DOP and film editor - https://www.nairaland.com/1105305/une-clope-short-film-nsfw
Don't Rock The Boat - An experimental tiltshift short - https://www.nairaland.com/1107900/dont-rock-boat-short-film
My Showreel - a selection of things I've done - https://www.nairaland.com/893426/video-showreel-villageboi

So I have never not shared things I've done with the hardest audience on the planet. And as mentioned earlier in this thread -

So sorry people this is making the post so much longer but here are a couple of quote from the 'Sweet Sixteen' thread -

And part of her response -

As mentioned before I don't hide anything. When something I make goes wrong I will admit it so YES I made a film that was substandard. Even when something goes quite well I am still not the bragging type - read the comments in the Une Clope thread to find out.

My apologies, one more thing that i said in the Sweet Sixteen thread -

Bit by bit I am prepping to make a feature, I will not want to make anything 'mediocre', I will continue to learn as much as I can.

I'm going to have to end here. Sorry if you are disappointed in me for not liking the guy's VFX but also as an audience member I can like or dislike something. We all do that or don't your remember another of your threads?
https://www.nairaland.com/1498386/prada-one-worst-nollywood-movies

I just happen to be a wannabe/aspiring filmmaker, however, the truth is the audience does not ever have to justify not liking a film. They do not have to be questioned about it either.

So I still stick by not liking his VFX as it is NOT good enough nor is it worth the hailing and hype. And in case you have not seen what Genetos can do here is a teaser. (will post it when I find it) I know you are a big man so pls hire or connect Genetos to get some of these gigs.

Genetos on a ZERO budget - https://www.nairaland.com/1429937/day-came-short-sci-fi-film

This Cyber attack on NL is really bad... if YOU see his new trailer you sef go doff hat to the guy. You can ask him yourself, I say things exactly as I see them... I ripped into one of the first clips he posted.

YESSS I found his new teaser on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZgoy5KxjWQ

I know you do support the industry and you used to like and want daring stuff. What happened to the 2006 you that I doubt would be praising mediocre stuff? - https://www.nairaland.com/22089/wants-work-nollywood

I passed all the comments to Gania, because that is the best way to improve his knowledge.
His special effects in "Invasion 1897" and yet to be released episode by Lancelot Imasuen in The ABCs of Death was good by international standards. So, the special effects in The Twin Sword should not be used to judge his expertise even though it won the best prize for Special Effects at AMAA 2013. It is possible to win the best prize if there is no better competitor.
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 11:50am On Jul 07, 2014
Orikinla:
So, the special effects in The Twin Sword should not be used to judge his expertise even though it won the best prize for Special Effects at AMAA 2013. It is possible to win the best prize if there is no better competitor.
Not a problem. We can only like or dislike from what we have actually seen. Yes people do continually improve or should... I stated Mr Genetos as an example of such evidence. When the newer work of Mr Gania is available then we shall see. We all want to improve our work but neither should we believe that our early and substandard work is the greatest thing on the planet just because it presumably is 'locally'. There is a big world of amazing stuff out there and 14 & 15yr old kids are hands down, without much effort, beating our local champions. This is the Internet age, anything everywhere can be SEEN, we need to chillax with our bragging and learn with humility. A huge fault lies with our media outlets, journalists and the articles they write... one tiny, tiny thing and we never stop hearing how there is nothing in the world like it. Anyway they are the ones that assume everyone else lives under a rock.
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by prof800(m): 12:17pm On Jul 07, 2014
Orikinla:

I passed all the comments to Gania, because that is the best way to improve his knowledge.
His special effects in "Invasion 1897" and yet to be released episode by Lancelot Imasuen in The ABCs of Death was good by international standards. So, the special effects in The Twin Sword should not be used to judge his expertise even though it won the best prize for Special Effects at AMAA 2013. It is possible to win the best prize if there is no better competitor.
Achieving the kind of visual effects needed for a feature film like 'invasion 1897' needs a TEAM of VFX Artists and one VFX Supervisor. So how will one man come to claim all the credits. Unless ofcourse, the work is sub-par compared to standards.

1 Like

Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Bawss1(m): 8:49am On Jul 08, 2014
Hmmm. Nice discussion going on here.
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 10:08am On Jul 08, 2014
prof800:
Achieving the kind of visual effects needed for a feature film like 'invasion 1897' needs a TEAM of VFX Artists and one VFX Supervisor. So how will one man come to claim all the credits. Unless ofcourse, the work is sub-par compared to standards.

Exactly, VFX heavy feature films need a TEAM or VFX artists. Shebi we're always screaming 'Hollywood standard'?... is this not the same Hollywood that is now getting VFX done in India. Dare anyone look at the leaps and bounds India has made in the last 20yrs and look at the same time period Nollywood/Nigeria has had. As far as our film industry is concerned we are lazy people that have no pride in our work. Let's say there are 100 steps to take; we make one step and "YES WE HAVE ARRIVED"... what a load of shameless bollox.

Go into any cinema or find somewhere to watch the newest Indian films with VFX and one will bow - 20yrs ago they were doing moi-moi but now na the caviar of VFX that Hollywood is rushing to them. We're doing extremely poor VFX with the SAME computers and SAME software yet na we dey make mouth pass.

Will Nollywood/Nigeria constantly make world class films? Absolutely! I personally don't think we need VFX heavy films if we are not ready to make them as good as the best in the world. Afterall we have Nigerian medical doctors, specialists and surgeons in the Diaspora and at home that are the best of the best in the world without a doubt... maybe they should stop being the best and settle for babalawo style bone cracking/setting, leaf mixture spitting medical practices.

We will come up with a million excuses to justify our substandard filmmaking but for how long will we make excuses? But seriously, anything worth doing is worth doing well... actually very well.

Just a rant for the sake of it.
Re: VFX Is A Must In Nollywood by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 28, 2015
VillageBoi:
I really have no idea what is wrong with my eyes because the bulk of what we see being praised in Nollywood is simply atrocious.

Don't worry, I understand your frustration....but we will be there someday. By crook or crack. Kazuna to the rescue!

(1) (Reply)

Game Of Thrones New Whatsapp Fan Group Link / Any Difference Btw Dstv And Gotv Picture Quality / What Do You Think About Fifty Shades Of Grey

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 169
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.